Yamaha Niken
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
Author Message
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3892
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:46 am quote
It's here and being reviewed in the Los Angeles Times:

https://goo.gl/6BffMz

Yamaha's 3-wheel Niken is an exceptional motorcycle. Maybe too exceptional
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 500 - The Iridescent Chameleon, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125, 2016 Indian Scout Sixty
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 2654
Location: Geneseo, IL (Quad City area)
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:37 am quote
The first run was available by pre-sale only. My local dealer apparently did get one (which surprised me), but as it was pre-sold, it was already gone.

I think I read that Yamaha is talking about making it a full production bike (the Niken GT), but I can't cite a source for that...

Edit: Looks like the GT is being sold the same way, by reservation only:

https://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-debuts-2019-niken-gt

Mark
Member
Piaggio MP 3 Lt 300.
Joined: 19 Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Whitby. North Yorks.
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am quote
UK Niken Trike ?.
Hi.

Would it be possible to change the front suspension legs over. Offside to near side and vice versa with a view to widen the track.

If 460mm plus could be achieved presumably it might be re-classed as a trike in the UK.

If a crashed/written off Niken came along it would make an interesting project. One of my friends suggested wheel spacers but they might be too wide.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards. Granty.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21308
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm quote
looks really familiar

https://i.imgur.com/vEZiOnM.jpg

niken front end.jpg

Member
Piaggio MP 3 Lt 300.
Joined: 19 Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Whitby. North Yorks.
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 am quote
Re: UK Niken Trike ?.
granty wrote:
Hi.

Would it be possible to change the front suspension legs over. Offside to near side and vice versa with a view to widen the track.

If 460mm plus could be achieved presumably it might be re-classed as a trike in the UK.

If a crashed/written off Niken came along it would make an interesting project. One of my friends suggested wheel spacers but they might be too wide.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards. Granty.
Hi.

Just realized, spacers would'nt work without changing the legs over.

Regards.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10821
Location: Oregon City, OR
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:20 pm quote
granty wrote:
Would it be possible to change the front suspension legs over. Offside to near side and vice versa with a view to widen the track.

If 460mm plus could be achieved presumably it might be re-classed as a trike in the UK.
Why go to all that trouble, expense, and uncertainty rather than just getting a motorcycle license?
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 3241
Location: Staffordshire UK
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
granty wrote:
Would it be possible to change the front suspension legs over. Offside to near side and vice versa with a view to widen the track.

If 460mm plus could be achieved presumably it might be re-classed as a trike in the UK.
Why go to all that trouble, expense, and uncertainty rather than just getting a motorcycle license?
I passed my M/C test back in the dark ages 'just go round the block a couple of times, and i'll stand here and watch you' .. It's a lot more involved and expensive nowadays, probably costs about £600 to £700 if you want to hop on an 850cc
Member
Piaggio MP 3 Lt 300.
Joined: 19 Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Whitby. North Yorks.
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 am quote
Hi all.

I'm now 75 years young and started biking about four years ago. Started on MP 3s and would have still been on one if I hadn't got myself a unreliable one that became a maintenance headache.

I'm now on a CB 125 F and to be honest I feel as if Im a hinderance at times to other motorists, going uphill and into wind. Im frequently tailgated by the minority.

I have to display L plates, can't go on motorways or take an unqualified pillion.

In the spring of this year Im going back to Piaggio and give the MP 3 another go. Im going for a 500 Sport or HPE.

Currently I wont need to display L plates, I'll be able carry a pillion passenger and travel on motorways.

Whoopee. Regards.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 3241
Location: Staffordshire UK
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 am quote
granty wrote:
Hi all.

I'm now 75 years young and started biking about four years ago. Started on MP 3s and would have still been on one if I hadn't got myself a unreliable one that became a maintenance headache.

I'm now on a CB 125 F and to be honest I feel as if Im a hinderance at times to other motorists, going uphill and into wind. Im frequently tailgated by the minority.

I have to display L plates, can't go on motorways or take an unqualified pillion.

In the spring of this year Im going back to Piaggio and give the MP 3 another go. Im going for a 500 Sport or HPE.

Currently I wont need to display L plates, I'll be able carry a pillion passenger and travel on motorways.

Whoopee. Regards.
Can I recommend you check out the Peugeot Metropolis 400, it's what i'm going with next (sick and tired of the notchy bearing thing on MP3s)
Member
Piaggio MP 3 Lt 300.
Joined: 19 Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Whitby. North Yorks.
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:30 am quote
fleece wrote:
granty wrote:
Hi all.

I'm now 75 years young and started biking about four years ago. Started on MP 3s and would have still been on one if I hadn't got myself a unreliable one that became a maintenance headache.

I'm now on a CB 125 F and to be honest I feel as if Im a hinderance at times to other motorists, going uphill and into wind. Im frequently tailgated by the minority.

I have to display L plates, can't go on motorways or take an unqualified pillion.

In the spring of this year Im going back to Piaggio and give the MP 3 another go. Im going for a 500 Sport or HPE.

Currently I wont need to display L plates, I'll be able carry a pillion passenger and travel on motorways.

Whoopee. Regards.
Can I recommend you check out the Peugeot Metropolis 400, it's what i'm going with next (sick and tired of the notchy bearing thing on MP3s)
Hi.

Interesting one that. Four hundred cc and maybe a better reliability record. Im going to read the reviews now. Thanks for the info. (Had the notch issue on my first MP 3)
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 3241
Location: Staffordshire UK
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:51 am quote
I tried one last year, along with a 300cc Yourban, the Pug won hands down IMO

DSC_0304.JPG

_20180623_170620.JPG

Member
Piaggio MP 3 Lt 300.
Joined: 19 Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Location: Whitby. North Yorks.
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 am quote
fleece wrote:
I tried one last year, along with a 300cc Yourban, the Pug won hands down IMO
Hi.

Iv'e had a look at some videos and read the reviews on the Metropolis and it's looking good for a purchase.

I like some of the spec a lot. It gets away at a decent pace. Ideal for keeping up with traffic flow and getting yourself out of trouble when needed.

What caught my eye straight away was the step through without any obstruction down the middle, and the foot brake pedal well forward out of the way of your right foot.

Very interesting.

Regards.
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 438
Location: Germany
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:30 am quote
On my drive home tonight, I passed a Niken. Thought it was an MP3 at first, but then realized the dual xenon light setup. Wish it was a little brighter and had my radio turned down so I could hear it when it passed. Looked pretty impressive though to see it in the wild.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Location: Chandler, AZ
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 am quote
Standard Niken already out of production
Its cool you saw one in the "wild". Too bad Yamaha already announced the Niken production run has already ceased. Apparently Yamaha is now making a single run of the Niken GT as well. Consequently, both models will end up being collectors' bikes. To be honest, I was hoping to buy a used one at a fair price. Not much chance of that now.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco, 1973 Norton Commando 850
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Location: Australia
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:35 pm quote
If you can get EuroSport or similar TV coverage the marshals in some of the Cycling races are using Nikens' particularly in the Italian races. They do look the goods and have all of the MP3 benefits of two front contact patches, but the do look huge front on.

No bigger than a Harley or an Indian dresser, but that's still pretty big.
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super super. 09 MP3 500 super duper
Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 272
Location: tampa
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:31 pm quote
turbo niken
it had to happen
search youtube : Yamaha Niken Turbo - BIKE ME!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yewReN9YmM
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 191
Location: Austin, TX
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 am quote
Anyone watch the Tour de France this summer? A bunch of the chase bikes were Nikkens. I thought they were MP3s like in past years, but the I noticed the wide double struts.

Capture.JPG

Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.3894s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0411s) ][ Debug on ]