1957 Allstate - Tuning options
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
Vespa 1957
Joined: 27 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: Atlanta
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:54 pm quote
Hi all! I have a 1957 Allstate Vespa (788-94492) that I would like restore. I am planning on tuning the engine and replacing almost everything with a Pinasco 160cc set up.

The engine code is VAN2M. Does anyone know what Italian code this relates to? The VL1T-VL3T seems to be the same version as this Allstate. Nevertheless, I don't want to make a mistake when ordering a 600$ cylinder set...

Also, I think I need the 57mm crankshaft, but there is a 60mm as well.

Any thoughts?

1957.jpg

Enthusiast
1960 Allstate VNA, 1962 VNB
Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 67
Location: Cambria, CA
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm quote
I love that color. Is that original paint?

If it is a VNA motor there isn't much you can do to it.
I have one in a 1960 Allstate and it is slow.

I'd suggest replacing it with something a little more modern.
Enthusiast
1960 Allstate VNA, 1962 VNB
Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 67
Location: Cambria, CA
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 pm quote
sorry I read your engine code wrong.
Hopefully, your VAN2M is better than my VNA
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7180
Location: seattle/athens
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:15 pm quote
Two thoughts. First is it looks like you have solid foundation. A good frame & headset/fork plus the rare gas tank and original? motor - I hope you have the cowls too. And a seat frame at least, and the rest of the original floor rails.

That looks like a kit for that older style motor, so my second thought:
The only guy here you need to try before you pull any triggers is probably Jon Gick @ GickSpeed. He could do it or tell you best how if you want to do it yourself & could machine anything you need, done right w/o reinventing the wheel.

GickSpeed mill work, updated with pics

Member
Vespa 152l2
Joined: 04 Dec 2018
Posts: 9
Location: location
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 pm quote
here are some options:

Enjoy
Addicted
Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Posts: 956
Location: Racing Capital of the World
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Two thoughts. First is it looks like you have solid foundation. A good frame & headset/fork plus the rare gas tank and original? motor - I hope you have the cowls too. And a seat frame at least, and the rest of the original floor rails.

That looks like a kit for that older style motor, so my second thought:
The only guy here you need to try before you pull any triggers is probably Jon Gick @ GickSpeed. He could do it or tell you best how if you want to do it yourself & could machine anything you need, done right w/o reinventing the wheel.

GickSpeed mill work, updated with pics

Thanks Voodoo.

You now have several quality options to choose from: Pinasco 160 and CC Corsa 160. Either can be ran with a 57 or 60mm crank. My personal bikes are running a 57mm Pinasco crank and a 60mm KingWelle crank; so a stroked cylinder is possible!

That being said, Widebody's are not for everyone-they are not inexpensive to say the least. Beside a cylinder kit, you will need to purchase a crank, variable timing ignition, clutch, primary gear, carb, exhaust. . . You would be looking at roughly 1800 when all is said and done. Then you get the honor of purchasing all your wear & tear items such as gaskets, seals, bearings, cruciform, rubber parts, etc. etc.

I work on these engines regularly and fortunate enough to have full set of original factory tools to service them correctly. All parts that i have mentioned i do stock and are in stock. Builds to full technical support offered.

Not a whole lot of Widebody talk around these parts. I am always available @ https://www.facebook.com/GickSpeed/ and https://www.instagram.com/gickspeed/

IMG_9139.JPG

HRVP9ikhT0ie0rk9jjr6tg.jpg

IMG_9226.JPG

IMG_9228.JPG

Member
Vespa 1957
Joined: 27 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: Atlanta
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am quote
FNG wrote:
I love that color. Is that original paint?

If it is a VNA motor there isn't much you can do to it.
I have one in a 1960 Allstate and it is slow.

I'd suggest replacing it with something a little more modern.
It is original paint! Trying to keep it like this, so only applying a clear coating!
Member
Vespa 1957
Joined: 27 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: Atlanta
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Two thoughts. First is it looks like you have solid foundation. A good frame & headset/fork plus the rare gas tank and original? motor - I hope you have the cowls too. And a seat frame at least, and the rest of the original floor rails.

That looks like a kit for that older style motor, so my second thought:
The only guy here you need to try before you pull any triggers is probably Jon Gick @ GickSpeed. He could do it or tell you best how if you want to do it yourself & could machine anything you need, done right w/o reinventing the wheel.

GickSpeed mill work, updated with pics

Hi! It is 99% complete I would say... I have the cowls, gas tank (probably including gas from the 50s ), the cylinder shroud (if it will fit on the Pinasco), all the floor rails, and the original motor. The only thing that is missing is an original seat. There was a blue seat on it, which I think was newer.

Thanks for the tip!
Member
Vespa 1957
Joined: 27 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: Atlanta
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:22 am quote
Quote:
Thanks Voodoo.

You now have several quality options to choose from: Pinasco 160 and CC Corsa 160. Either can be ran with a 57 or 60mm crank. My personal bikes are running a 57mm Pinasco crank and a 60mm KingWelle crank; so a stroked cylinder is possible!

That being said, Widebody's are not for everyone-they are not inexpensive to say the least. Beside a cylinder kit, you will need to purchase a crank, variable timing ignition, clutch, primary gear, carb, exhaust. . . You would be looking at roughly 1800 when all is said and done. Then you get the honor of purchasing all your wear & tear items such as gaskets, seals, bearings, cruciform, rubber parts, etc. etc.

I work on these engines regularly and fortunate enough to have full set of original factory tools to service them correctly. All parts that i have mentioned i do stock and are in stock. Builds to full technical support offered.

Not a whole lot of Widebody talk around these parts. I am always available @ https://www.facebook.com/GickSpeed/ and https://www.instagram.com/gickspeed/
Hi Jonathan!

I am a big fan of your work and follow you on facebook and Instagram.

Was indeed doubting about all the costs in combination with my inexperience as a mechanic. Nevertheless, I see this as a great challenge to learn and am willing to spend the money. This thing is too pretty to stay a ‘forever project’.

Is there a difference between installing a 57 or 60mm crank with the Pinasco 160 cylinder?
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1494s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0323s) ][ Debug on ]