Bajaj Stator / Flywheel problem
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
1966 Vespa 150 Super
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 am quote
Hi, I have a 1966 Vespa Super with a Bajaj Stator setup. Was out riding a few weeks ago and it was running fine. Stopped for a break then it wouldn't start. No spark and changed a few things roadside but couldn't fix it. Got it home and found a wire on CDI had detached. Re-crimped it back on and then I had a spark but still wouldn't start. I had tried to get Flywheel off before this but couldn't as my flywheel holder and puller were different ( for my 150 GL ) and in jamming a screwdriver into stator hole I damaged a lighting coil. So got a new Flywheel puller from India, I then took flywheel off and found Woodruff key sheared. Ordered a new one ( and new lighting coil ) and fitted them. Now I still have a spark but still it won't start. ( I have changed usual HT, Plug, Cap etc but not CDI or Coil ) Fuel is ok. What I can't fathom is the timing on this as the stator is not movable and Flywheel will only attach where new Woodruff key allows.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:07 am quote
Welcome to the forum.

The stator is held in place by three screws that, when loosened, should allow it to be moved to adjust timing. Post a pic, letís see what youíve got.
Lurker
1966 Vespa 150 Super
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 am quote
Stator Pic
Hi SoCalGuy , thanks for the quick reply. I have attached a pic of the Stator, just to say, I have not removed / adjusted position of it yet, I have only removed the flywheel so far so I shouldn't have affected the timing should I?

Stator.jpg

Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:39 am quote
Right, removing and replacing the flywheel wonít change the timing, but the flywheel has to be positioned on the woodruff to set the timing right.

Itís not uncommon for the woodruff to shear. Flywheel nut has to be tightened to ~45 ft lbs or flywheel will spin.

Pic below shows location of screws that loosen stator to adjust timing.

Good luck.

FD7EFF4B-BD11-41DF-BC0F-7855C15C7205.jpeg

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:00 pm quote
Looks like the old green coil lecky nish system from [redacted] that were the first out about 10 years ago..or more...well before the vespatronic etc

The pick up is notorious for failing if any other wire in the system is loose

The pick up just fails all by itself one day

The black box/cdi is also weak and prone to any vibration (how s yours mounted(

The green coil over heats on long hauls ( 2 hour rides) fine around town.
I got to the point where I was carrying a mini soldering iron and all spares and doing road side repair swap outs.....mostly of the pickup

So I went back to points and condenser.

To get your at least running check all connections are super clean (sand paper).....and then check each component with a meter.....eg pick up should be 110 ohms..some eone will have the values of the other parts..or getvserching

If you have spark then its a timing issue.I had to dremmel out the slots to get the right amount of clockwise rotation to get the 18 BTDC I needed for DR 177.......try random settings in the clock wise direction ..as far as it will go

good luck
Lurker
1966 Vespa 150 Super
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:29 am quote
Update on starting problem
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. So I found Woodruff key had sheared ( probably as a result of not tightening flywheel enough.) Fitted new woodruff key and bought / used torque wrench to tighten to 45lbs \ ft and tried starting again. Bike started 2nd kick but stopped after around 20 secs. Got it going again after a few kicks but stopped again after around 30 secs. Having a rest \ think for a bit as I need to make \ buy a flywheel holder now.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200, Rustbadge
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 am quote
If you don't have a flywheel holder, jam a rope down the spark plug hold to top the crank from turning.
Lurker
1966 Vespa 150 Super
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:11 am quote
Spark but wont start?
Gents, another update and it's good news I have got it running. All looked ok behind the flywheel but the spark didn't look quite right. Took off the HT lead and trimmed 1cm off the DCI end and re-terminated. Started first kick and ran ok. Big smile on face but it's not finished yet. Lights and cut off switch do not work so looks like the two new coils I fitted are duff / not connected correctly so flywheel will have to come off and I'll have another look. Toying with idea of new Vespatronic ignition kit but at least I can ride it to the garage if required. Lots of lessons learned here by me as I have caused most of my problems by not using correct tools ( ie -screwdriver in Stator ) Thanks for all the tips and ideas, it really does help when you are learning.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1630s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0216s) ][ Debug on ]