@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
This is a question for anyone with experience or wisdom concerning long rides out in the open...say on the Cannonball, or Ironbutting, or just out on a long afternoon ride thru the sticks etc.

Let's say you're on a rural stretch, good roads, fairly to very straight, little to no traffic...a good five to fifty miles before you get to the next town, intersection, whatever....

Do you let your mind relax and think about the past, the future, what's going on at work or home, planning tomorrow's presentation...

Or do you work on staying focused, practicing "mindfulness" or "situational awareness" with the road and riding as the center spot to which you are disciplining your attention toward?

Is riding a PTW under these conditions the same as taking a long drive (letting your mind wander) or is it always different?
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Easy, if not safe nor self disciplined:

my mind drifts away from riding once the bike is on the cruising speed...I think I continue lazy scanning of the surroundings (born in a country of deers and an occasional moose, this habbit stays...), but definitely not thinking about bike or riding as such.

This applies only to such empty, long streches described above.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Do you let your mind relax and think about the past, the future, what's going on at work or home, planning tomorrow's presentation...
Yes, that's one of the reasons for doing the rides.
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie

Addicted
@bald_wasp avatar
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I try not to drift off in the great wide open. I've almost hit deer more than once because I thought nothing was around.

w.
@turboblew avatar
UTC

Hooked
"MY WIFES" 2010 GTS FASTER & BETTER ENGINEERED THAN YOURS!!

Hooked
@turboblew avatar
"MY WIFES" 2010 GTS FASTER & BETTER ENGINEERED THAN YOURS!!
UTC quote
I might think of silly things or talk to myself.
I dont take my eyes off the road though.
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
I mostly ride the roads less traveled. It allows me to let my mind wander and forget about the stresses of the day. I am still aware that I am riding and all that goes with safe riding, but not in a hyper state like when I am in city traffic. It's the same way for me when I am driving car.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
And then a wasp gets in your helmet!!!

Now seriously I don't let my mind wonder. I think it is called road hypnosis.

I tried to avoid that.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
My mind sometimes wanders but my eyes continue to scan. I'm thinking like when I crossed Nevada on Highway 50 where I saw more wild horses than any other living creature or vehicle.

I've had deer jump out in front of me from nowhere enough times to allow me to take too much focus from the road.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
All the "head space" you need on this road.
Scott Froschauer
Scott Froschauer
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
The one time I let my mind wander it told me I was on a different road and had me go WOT into a tight curve. Now the titanium in my spine reminds me to stay aware at all times
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
I tend to still focus on the road.....sort of get into a zone of awareness primarily of my riding and potential hazards. I think what's great about riding is finding that zone where your mind focuses rather than drift randomly. Sort of a meditative space.....with darting eyes.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
My mind stays pretty much the same, wherever I ride.

Whether it is the neighborhood, wrestling with 75 mph traffic on I-95 or on a solitary ride across Montana.

My attention stays on the ride, but I stay relaxed and thoroughly enjoying being on the scooter.

I look around, checking out the surroundings, but never forget that I am zooming along on two wheels.

I never listen to music or anything. I wear earplugs.

A song often gets stuck in my mind and I hum it until the next one arrives.

Mostly, I enjoy the solitude.

Cannonball rides are a little different, as I ride a little faster than usual. There is also route following and stops to plan, so I am dealing with the GPS part of the time. But we travel through some fantastic countryside with amazing views. I never take that lightly.

Bill
A lot of headroom here.  Big Sky Country.
A lot of headroom here. Big Sky Country.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:

I tried to avoid that.
No, road hypnosis when you fixate on the ribbon of pavement and lose all awareness of anything else around. Mind wandering is when you think of other things say the love of your life, philosophy, whatever. Though carried to extreme can be just as dangerous.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Not that i have any "open spaces" here on Oahu. Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon I find listening to music really helps me. Keeps me focused. Weird but it works. Now if i listen to a audio book or a pod cast my mind wanders. Yes, i'm not normal. Laughing emoticon
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Max6200 wrote:

I tried to avoid that.
No, road hypnosis when you fixate on the ribbon of pavement and lose all awareness of anything else around. Mind wandering is when you think of other things say the love of your life, philosophy, whatever. Though carried to extreme can be just as dangerous.
Thanks for clarifying that for me CD.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
cdwise wrote:
Max6200 wrote:

I tried to avoid that.
Thanks for clarifying that for me CD.
No problem Max, those Kansas roads (and west Texas as well as other parts of the west) are all good candidates for road hypnosis. It can also occur when you are interstate driving particularly at night when traffic moves well and mostly straight.

Easy enough to do and one reason my father in law resisted cruise control in his cars for a long time.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
I alternate between the two states.
I used to be more focussed. I still am in my daily riding, which is all city traffic. But after crossing the Pyrenees twice in one day on my first rally, I started to be more confident and enjoyed the cross-country riding. I think I started listening to music on my third rally in France.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I think it is easy to suffer from mind wander in an auto car or scoot. Shifting definitely connects you to the ride - at least it does for me.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Bald Wasp wrote:
I try not to drift off in the great wide open. I've almost hit deer more than once because I thought nothing was around.

w.
Deer, my foot. I have other hazards:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1020s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0719s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]