Skok, Skok, Skokking on heaven's Donk
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...232425Next
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:24 pm quote
Had a funny day today. The shelving system that hung on my garage walls all collapsed sometime in the early hours this morning. Glass Demi-Johns were smashed on the floor from when I made wine, tools and nails etc went everywhere. Miraculously none of the vehicles were damaged. Tidied up as best I could then suddenly realised I was going to be late for my Friday tennis match. Raced down to the club and found none of my gang were there.Weird, they're normally quite a punctual bunch. Then had a nagging doubt that it wasn't Friday. I tried but I was too stupid to work out how to find out the day of the week on my phone so I asked a guy working on one of the courts. I'll admit he looked at me funny as he said it was Thursday. Raced back home hoping I'd get back before the wife realised I was gone - there would definitely be punishment for playing tennis 5 days on the trot this weekend. Managed to get home and changed without her noticing - result! Decided to spend the rest of the day building a new storage system in the garage with pegboard for tools etc. Went to Ikea on the Enfield, bought all the flat packed boxes out to the bike and found the Rok straps I was going to use were too short to hold everything down - people were taking photos of me in the car park as I tried ever more creative ways of loading the bike. 1st attempt failed on the main road (oops), 2nd attempt got me home (hooray). I've just come in from the garage now - covered in crap but feeling like I've spent the day well (whatever day it is).

PS I should also mention I'd bought a heavy weight hammer on the way to Ikea and hoped I could store it in the canvas pannier but the weight meant it wouldn't stay in and the only thing I could think of was to stuff the hammer down my trousers and try to avoid any bumps in the road. That, and the fact I had to have one arm balancing the load behind me, meant it wasn't a particularly safe ride home.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm quote
4 Days
That's not the way that you want to start the Bank Holiday is it.

Sorry Mate.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 am quote
It wasn't too bad. The tennis thing made me smile. I also needed a bit of a push to change my set up in the garage and I much prefer my new set up. I also like seeing what I can transport on a bike - whenever we see pictures of folks in Thailand etc transporting tonnes of stuff on a scoot I always feel a touch of admiration for them.
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:32 am quote
The sun is shining, it's a bank holiday, and I have a Vespa in the garage.
I think I'm off out for a ride round, probably down through the Costwolds then back up through Stratford Upon Avon with a stop off at Caffeine and Machine.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 am quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I think I'm off out for a ride round, probably down through the Costwolds then back up through Stratford Upon Avon with a stop off at Caffeine and Machine.
Man, are you ever lucky. We're having flood stage rains for the next 96 hours,
so no riding for me for the next few days as I'm on sump pump watch.
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Itís perfect riding weather today, and went exactly as planned.

D2537359-1663-4FBE-8AAE-E20D9D0D3882.jpeg

D30F2DB9-DAB8-4EAD-B07F-AFC45BF632E0.jpeg

36D5AD5F-2A62-4ED8-A3F3-9A7AF82ADAA6.jpeg

Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:36 am quote
The first two pictures are from https://caffeineandmachine.com/
Well worth a visit for anyone nearby.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:54 am quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Looks like an excellent stop - noted!
Ossessionato
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 am quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The 3rd picture shows a bag with the ad for Cornish Bakery, I believe.
If so, is that one of the famous pasties??
We have them here in Canada but I have just discovered their web site and have not had the opportunity to sample one.
https://gbpastyandpie.ca/
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:35 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The 3rd picture shows a bag with the ad for Cornish Bakery, I believe.
If so, is that one of the famous pasties??
We have them here in Canada but I have just discovered their web site and have not had the opportunity to sample one.
https://gbpastyandpie.ca/
No idea what the ones from the site you mention are like, and there's a few interesting choices on their menu, but a good Cornish Pasty is a lovely tasty thing.
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:15 am quote
If it's a proper pasty you're after I can guarantee that none are more traditional than these:

https://www.annspasties.co.uk/about/

somerset
Ossessionato
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am quote
somerset wrote:
If it's a proper pasty you're after I can guarantee that none are more traditional than these:

https://www.annspasties.co.uk/about/

somerset
A very impressive web site. I could almost taste and smell their pasties.
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 am quote
My step son's wife had a hand in the website as she is a graphic designer and worked with Ann's son Fergus.

I have sampled the pasties both in Cornwall and had some through their website.

They are absolutely scrumptious.

somerset
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 am quote
I'm going to Cornwall next month, so if I make it down that far I'll give them a go.
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am quote
Look forward to your comments if you manage to get one.

somerset
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 am quote
This is exactly the sort of content for which I come here. Good work, keep it up.
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:52 pm quote
I'm a bit miffed at the moment. I look after bees and I keep them on our local common. One hive has been angelic while the other hive has been very troublesome. I've had a few knowledgeable folk in to look at the hives to offer me their advise and everyone has said to just get rid of the bad bees. Unfortunately for me, I'm the sort that that goes out of my way to rescue flies, wasps and spiders etc and now it looks like I have to put the bad hive down myself. One of the aims in starting the colonies was to help the bees out in these tough times. I'm just feeling a bit down about the whole thing but I do understand that peoples safety should come first. It's a bit odd feeling sentimental about insects but I do.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:36 pm quote
robinm wrote:
I'm a bit miffed at the moment. I look after bees and I keep them on our local common. One hive has been angelic while the other hive has been very troublesome. I've had a few knowledgeable folk in to look at the hives to offer me their advise and everyone has said to just get rid of the bad bees. Unfortunately for me, I'm the sort that that goes out of my way to rescue flies, wasps and spiders etc and now it looks like I have to put the bad hive down myself. One of the aims in starting the colonies was to help the bees out in these tough times. I'm just feeling a bit down about the whole thing but I do understand that peoples safety should come first. It's a bit odd feeling sentimental about insects but I do.
Hopefully you never have to feel nostalgic about when there were bees.
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Hopefully you never have to feel nostalgic about when there were bees.
This might be hard to believe but I'm actually quite big on conservation - just finishing a project to put ponds into our local woods to build back the toad population, growing grass higher on our local common to encourage small mammals like voles etc, the small mammals have now encouraged owls back into the area, putting rotting logs around the area to encourage stag beetles (look them up they're amazing things). I could go on. I started the hives, not to get honey (I don't eat sweet stuff), but to actually help conserve them and introduce others into the idea of looking after bees in a city environment. So having to kill a hive off is really gutting to me.

Sadly it's not just bees that are disappearing though, there was a study in Germany that showed 70% off all flying insect have disappeared. Decades ago, when you drove your car on a long trip, you'd have to spend time cleaning all the dead insect you'd splattered on route. That doesn't happen now because the insects aren't there. It's caused by a combination of insecticide and habit loss probably caused by monocultures.
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:27 am quote
We need people like you Robin.

Well done for your efforts.

somerset
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:05 pm quote
robinm wrote:
Robinm - you might bee interested in this.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-27/bee-venom-harvesting/11032174
Molto Verboso
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:55 am quote
somerset wrote:
We need people like you Robin
I certainly don't do it to be saintly! I simply enjoy it as a hobby and I'm lucky enough to be in a position to make it happen.
Sledge wrote:
you might bee interested in this [bee venom harvesting]
Interesting though I had a strange nightmare image of me standing next to the hive in my underpants while the wife scraped all the stingers off me and into a bucket
I'm sure the device would work well but encouraging these particular bees to release their attack pheromone in a public space might be seen as a bit "anti-social"
Molto Verboso
Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 am quote
Nobodies posting on the thread at the moment so I'll say what I was up to this morning. My remaining bee hive swarmed yesterday and the swarm went into a nearby tree. I've never collected a swarm before but I figured if I could capture the swarm then they'd make a great replacement for the angry bees I had earlier. Only issue was they were almost 6 meters up a tree. I have one of those clever extendable ladders that fit into a small bag but can extend up to 5m. Of course this meant I was standing on the last few steps to get to the swarm. These ladders are clever but they do tend to sway around a lot when you're near the end of their extension. It's a strange thing being in such a precarious position with your nose up against the swarm, holding a cardboard box in one hand and brushing a whole swarm of bees into a box using you're remaining hand. I had that funny feeling that it could of ended badly in so many ways
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed May 01, 2019 7:21 am quote
Pictures??

Beats any adventures I've had a the top of a ladder...and there've been a few.

Glad you're alive to tell the story at least. After breaking my ankle I think I'm laying low for a bit.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Wed May 01, 2019 7:45 am quote
Off
Yeah this thread is going nowhere.

Walking away.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Thu May 02, 2019 12:57 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Pictures??
It turns out somebody did take a picture while I was doing the job! The bees are another two feet above my head and you can just see the start of the swelling above the leaves. It was quite exciting because I'm fairly new to bee keeping and this was the first time I'd played with a swarm. Sweeping bees up with your hands is quite an experience even when you're wearing gloves. The tree is also ancient so the branches look like they'll snap in the next gentle wind. Collecting the swarm meant I was 2 rungs higher up and the ladder was bending quite alarmingly.

The barn in the background is in the middle of the park and has been converted into a micro brewery called Inkspot. The bee hives are out of shot to the right of the barn.

FoSC - Bees swarm 3.jpg

Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2007 Piaggio MP3 250, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Thu May 02, 2019 1:47 am quote
robinm wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Pictures??
It turns out somebody did take a picture while I was doing the job!.
You're a bloke perched on a ladder that doesn't look fit for purpose, trying to herd bees into a box by hand!

Can't help thinking viral Youtube video or £250 off 'You've been framed' hadn't crossed the photographers mind
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu May 02, 2019 6:00 am quote
fleece wrote:
robinm wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
Pictures??
It turns out somebody did take a picture while I was doing the job!.
You're a bloke perched on a ladder that doesn't look fit for purpose, trying to herd bees into a box by hand!

Can't help thinking viral Youtube video or £250 off 'You've been framed' hadn't crossed the photographers mind
All in a day's work.

I usually do things like that when my wife's not home. Not sure if it's subconscious or not. I suppose somebody should be around to call an ambulance.

Anyway, well-played!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra
Fri May 03, 2019 1:03 am quote
This wasn't you, was it, Robin?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-48109009
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2007 Piaggio MP3 250, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 am quote
Huskyteer wrote:
same dodgy ladder by the looks ..

Capture.JPG

Addicted
GTS 250
Fri May 03, 2019 4:09 am quote
buzz buzz
I used to be an assistant bee keeper on my allotments in Bishop's Park, Fulham, London. I did a 3 day bee keeping course in Epping Forest as well. My original bee keeper had 2 good hives and with the clement weather and variety of forageable nectar, we could take up to 50 lbs of honey per hive per year..The allotmenteers thought they'd be great for the pollination of our crops.
This bee keeper retired and moved to the country and another took his place. He decided to replace the Queen bees which were Italian Passive bees with some more vigorous bees.. So over winter he sent away for 2 more queens.. They arrived in 2 cardboard cylinders through the post. These bees were introduced.. They were more vigorous but also angry and stingy. The hives were near to a school playground and started to sting the kids, then the allotment holders, then passers by. After 2 years the bees had to go, and there were lots of heated discussions on the allotment committee about impending doom and the possible lack of pollination. This didn't happen as there were plenty of other pollinating insects in the area. So no local honey and no stings... Funnily enough I'm off to a bee talk in central London in 2 weeks time with Bermondsey Bees, my local bee keepers who have them on their roof. No stings from them as they are passive bees. Cheers Gass GTS 250 silver machine
Molto Verboso
Fri May 03, 2019 5:04 am quote
I've only just done my beginners course of bee keeping so I did feel a little "exposed" at the top of the ladder up to my elbows in a bee swarm. I think I look fairly "professional" in the photo but that's a facade and you can't see the fear behind the veil.

There's certainly a world of difference between friendly bees and aggressive bees. I nearly lost the site because of the aggressive bees and it didn't make it a pleasant job working with them.

Mike
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 am quote
robinm wrote:
I've only just done my beginners course of bee keeping so I did feel a little "exposed" at the top of the ladder up to my elbows in a bee swarm. I think I look fairly "professional" in the photo but that's a facade and you can't see the fear behind the veil.

Had me fooled....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Sun May 05, 2019 12:16 pm quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
How's that 70th anniversary GTS been Alex?
I rather like those... a contender for an upgrade even...

PS Hi all!
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Sun May 05, 2019 10:07 pm quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

PS Hi all!
Itís going well.
Itís a couple of mph slower than the 08 GTS I had before it, but thatís more than made up for by the ABS, slightly improved handling and gorgeous looks.

Iíd have liked the HPE, but it would have been at least a couple of thousand more, so Iím very happy with my choice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
Tue May 07, 2019 10:54 am quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
brown_beret7 wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

PS Hi all!
Itís going well.
Itís a couple of mph slower than the 08 GTS I had before it, but thatís more than made up for by the ABS, slightly improved handling and gorgeous looks.

Iíd have liked the HPE, but it would have been at least a couple of thousand more, so Iím very happy with my choice.
Good stuff. I'm a little torn between the 'devil you know' in my 2009 GTS from a good production year that has been great but at 10 years old will still need a pretty regular maintenance routine to stay tip-top into the future, or jumping forward and getting back to (hopefully) a bit less tinkering and a bit more simple riding. Love the idea of keeping the 09 longer term with all those trip memories, but those 70th anniversary models are just that bit special enough to turn my head too....

Think I've seen the new grey HPE 300 at £5999...
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Sun May 12, 2019 3:40 am quote
I have been considering getting a HPE too as my GTS has done so many miles. Problem is its running as well as its ever run and still making me smile everytime I get on it. I think I have come to a decision, keep the GTS and add a BMW c400GT to the stable.

Clocked the Vespa.jpg

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun May 12, 2019 7:33 am quote
Whoo-Hoo!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra
Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 am quote
Nice one, Ash! Has the counter rolled over yet? Does it count as brand new when it does?
Ossessionato
Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 am quote
Huskyteer wrote:
Nice one, Ash! Has the counter rolled over yet? Does it count as brand new when it does?
maybe the mileage warranty starts again
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...232425Next
[ Time: 0.5968s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1157s) ][ Debug on ]