Bike in question: Vespa Rally 200, 1974, Femsatronic
- Rebuild the engine
- Replace the Femsatronic with a PX Ducati ignition
- PK fork disc brake conversion
- Powdercoat a bunch of stuff, incl shrouds, hubs, headlamp ring, etc.
I went ahead and dropped the engine, tore it down and cleaned it up.
After everything was taken apart, I gave it a glass bead blast, mounted Clauss Studio engine mounts and new bearings all around. I took the chance to also rebuild the cush drive and the clutch.
I put the engine back together but left the ignition off. Over that weekend I built a Pinasco 9TX engine for a friend and he left me his crank and ignition. So we decided to go ahead and put the Mazzuchelli PX crank into the Rally and run a lightened Ducati ignition.
Finally, off to the fork! Using a modified PK fork, fitted for Sprint, Rally, etc. the bike was meant to get some good stopping power. I painted the fork black (after priming it of course). On the fork a Grimeca hub was fitted with Grimeca caliper. As a shock, we came across a very gently used, 195mm BGM PK shock, perfect for this!
Fitting the fender in was quite an endeavour as I didnít want to scratch up the paint, but also not repaint. A set of new holes were drilled and in meticulous trial & error the fender was offset with washers to assure the best possible position. With all new bearings it was then mounted into the frame.
This kit was not to be used as semi-hydraulic. A custom-made bracket kit uses a Piaggio Typhoon master cylinder, hidden underneath the handlebar. There were no instructions, it was quite a learning experience! Run on a set of Pinasco tubeless in black with Heidenau K80ís, to be replaced however by K47, as those were going on my P.
I mounted the rear suspension, which is a modified PK shock, mostly because I am an idiot and ordered the wrong one. The engine went in like butter and the bike was ready to be put together, cleaned and test ridden.
(Almost) Final result:
Still missing a headlamp glass, some minor adjustments, the proper tires and new levers in full black. I removed the misses in the front and ran two white stripes. Quite happy how it turned out!
Feel free to leave some feedback, really would love to hear some!