Scomadi Is Coming To The US
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 1234Next
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Enthusiast
LX 150
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:54 pm quote
These look really nice. Does anyone have experience with them in Europe? Are they carbed? Are they more affordable? Can you get parts? Definitely think there's room for a more affordable metal body scooter with the departure of the Stella.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:56 pm quote
scootchilla wrote:
These look really nice. Does anyone have experience with them in Europe? Are they carbed? Are they more affordable? Can you get parts? Definitely think there's room for a more affordable metal body scooter with the departure of the Stella.
If they are coming to the US, they won't be carbed. Really hard to get a carb through EPA testing these days.
Molto Verboso
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:18 pm quote
Designed by British Lambretta enthusiasts and built in Thailand after a bad experience in China they might be an alternative to the GTS especially once the 400 starts production. https://www.scooterlab.uk/scomadi-tl200-vs-vespa-gts-300-1000-miles-road-test-feature/
Enthusiast
LX 150
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:46 pm quote
Just read the review. Seems like this could be great for NYC. I thought the GTS is a bit bulky for riding on local streets, but the 150s come up a little short on the highway especially riding out of the city. Also removable panels should make it much easier to repair cowl damage from street parking without totaling the bike!
Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:04 pm quote
Thanks for the link to that write up conchscooter. I had a Jet200 back in the mid '80s. Man what a comfortable scooter. Would love to see an alternative to the GTS for a hiway capable steel scooter.
Molto Verboso
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:34 pm quote
Iím interested in Scomadi for both those reasons. I really like the GTS but I find it mechanically complex. I want to like the BV (Beverly) 350 but the styling... is not for me. Superficial I know. A Scomadi 400 could be good. Iíll look forward to actually seeing one. The 400 is in development now using a Morini engine based I believe in the Burgman power plant.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:02 pm quote
Where did the review it seems like the new scooter might be a good cannonball scoot.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 pm quote
According to the sales manager at Lambretta, Genuine is going to be distributing their scooters, and according to a representative for Hanway, Genuine is also going to be distributing their scooters, both automatic knockoffs of the original Lambretta. So I wonder if Genuine is also going to distribute this automatic knockoff of the old Lambretta as well.
People in the UK who have seen them say the build quality is horrible. Despite the hype, it's basically an expensive Chinese scooter. Now imagine something about the size of a typical Chinese 150 mail order scooter, made of the same remarkable Chinese steel, with the same high quality welding and engineering, and their legendary quality control, then bolt a Suzuki Burgman 400 engine to the back of it. Does that sound particularly safe?
There were at least four companies showing these Automatic Lambretta knockoffs at EICMA this year. If you really like them, you could probably get a deal on a container.
If you really want a pretend vintage scooter, the Kymco Like is probably the safest of the bunch.

Last edited by Motovista on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 pm quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
Would love to see an alternative to the GTS for a hiway capable steel scooter.
While there is still talk of a metal bodied model, I believe all the Scomadis that have actually been sold in Europe have plastic panels over tubular steel frames.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:29 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
Would love to see an alternative to the GTS for a hiway capable steel scooter.
While there is still talk of a metal bodied model, I believe all the Scomadis that have actually been sold in Europe have plastic panels over tubular steel frames.
Hanway offers it as either a metal body or plastic over steel.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:51 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Offers it where? I have see many announcements from Scomadi about the "forthcoming" metal bodied TT, and I realize they have shown prototypes at international shows. The TT is not, however, listed as available on the Scomadi website.

https://www.scooterlab.uk/metal-bodywork-scomadi-tt-confirmed-news/

http://www.scomadi.com/about/the-scomadi-story/
Enthusiast
LX 150
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 am quote
Well that's disappointing. Surprised it's so hard to produce a decent metal body scooter.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2007 Piaggio MP3 250, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:01 am quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
Thanks for the link to that write up conchscooter. I had a Jet200 back in the mid '80s. Man what a comfortable scooter. Would love to see an alternative to the GTS for a hiway capable steel scooter.
don't for one minute think that a scomadi will be as comfortable as a Jet 200, in fact don't think for one minute that a scomadi will be comfortable at all!

For me, the body is too wide and the seat too hard for a comfortable ride.

and it's plastic (and creaks)

I really wanted to like it, but alas!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 am quote
nasty
Not ridden one ..... Didn't want to after I sat on it ..... way too wide a seat .. Nearly tore me hole into a slot ... Bloody horrible looking too ..... just my opinion
Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 am quote
If Genuine is gonna be the distributors - ask them where the g400c motorcycle is first.
Molto Verboso
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 am quote
The Scomadi story is a lesson in the difficulty of producing a scooter from scratch. Their learning curve has been carried out with great bravery in full public view. Such dedication in my opinion deserves consideration and judgment rendered only when I come face to face with their final product.
However I am years away from buying do I have the luxury of waiting and seeing. Weíre i to buy today it would be a struggle between the BV350 and the GTS. Produced by a company that has a track record of overcoming industrial adversity.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:13 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Offers it where?
In China. At EICMA, Hanway had a metal body and a plastic body version of the same Lambretta knockoff. I've been told they are the company that initially made the scooters for Scomadi.
It's hard to do retro well. Look at the VW Beetle or the Mini Cooper, and imagine how much money went into making them modern vehicles that meet current safety standards. Does anyone think that level of engineering went into figuring out how to make a modern Chinese scooter look like an old Lambretta?
Molto Verboso
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 am quote
Scomadi wanted to boost production and went to China to look for a partner. It ended in a lawsuit when the Chinese partners built the scooters to undercut Scomadi. Their website:

https://www.royalalloy.com

Scomadi then went to Thailand and entered into another partnership which is building the new Scomadi TT 200 with metal panels and the liquid cooled smaller scooters.

Speculation in Britain is that the scooters being sold as Lambrettas are based on Chinese scooters similar to those produced for the Sym Fiddle. However...

https://www.lambrettauk.co.uk/gallery

Now they are talking about an all metal Lambretta too.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm quote
conchscooter wrote:
After all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 pm quote
conchscooter wrote:
Designed by British Lambretta enthusiasts and built in Thailand after a bad experience in China they might be an alternative to the GTS especially once the 400 starts production. https://www.scooterlab.uk/scomadi-tl200-vs-vespa-gts-300-1000-miles-road-test-feature/
That's what I thought, these are the modern Lambretta. I spoke with a vintage friend who's a BIG Lambretta enthusiast and I had to admit that I never sat on one. Always sat on the vintage Vespa's. He said some magic words that I totally get and understand. "Once I sat down on it, I just knew it was the bike for me"

That's how I felt about my Lx 150 after testing a few other rides.

If any shop gets these in Sacramento, I'm down to test ride one and write up a review on here. Kinda excited to see/test one.
Molto Verboso
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:18 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
conchscooter wrote:
After all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.
Scomadi is in a different category. Just because people in the US arenít looking doesnít mean they arenít doing. Scomadi may very well not succeed, certainly the US is a tough scooter but to crack, but they are on the road in other countries.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:19 pm quote
conchscooter wrote:
Scomadi wanted to boost production and went to China to look for a partner. It ended in a lawsuit when the Chinese partners built the scooters to undercut Scomadi. Their website:

Also not a manufacturer. The manufacturer of Royal Alloy and Scomadi scooters is a company called Hanway. It's the same scooter, more or less, with different badges and trim. If you had the desire, you could contact the company that makes them, and get a container of them with whatever name and farkles you want. The odds are that more and more companies are going to start making that design and within a couple of years, you will be able to get one made by Tao Tao or Ice Bear shipped to your door for less than a grand.
Banned
Roughhouse Sport. Buddy 150(sold)
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:58 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
conchscooter wrote:

Also not a manufacturer. The manufacturer of Royal Alloy and Scomadi scooters is a company called Hanway. It's the same scooter, more or less, with different badges and trim. If you had the desire, you could contact the company that makes them, and get a container of them with whatever name and farkles you want. The odds are that more and more companies are going to start making that design and within a couple of years, you will be able to get one made by Tao Tao or Ice Bear shipped to your door for less than a grand.
Love that 300 and you can get them.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm quote
Here's a Brit company saying you can get the Royal Alloy model in January 2017:

https://www.scooterlab.uk/clone-wars-4-scomadi-vs-royal-alloy-vs-lambretta-news/

And here's why you couldn't:

https://www.scooterlab.uk/clone-wars-4-scomadi-vs-royal-alloy-vs-lambretta-news/[/url]
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
Here's a Brit company saying you can get the Royal Alloy model in January 2017:

https://www.scooterlab.uk/clone-wars-4-scomadi-vs-royal-alloy-vs-lambretta-news/

And here's why you couldn't:

https://www.scooterlab.uk/clone-wars-4-scomadi-vs-royal-alloy-vs-lambretta-news/[/url]
It looks like the Royal Alloy ones will be available in 2018. Probably because you can't steal a design and then bitch when someone else steals it from you. Here's my favorite comment from the second article:

"And I guess that this is happening also in Portugal since the distributor is the sameÖ I recently bought one of these models here in Portugal, and I know a lot of guys that have also bought oneÖ And now we really donít know if we have a Scomadi TL125 or a Royalloy GT125 with Scomadi logos and brand all over it! We know that they are the same thing (we hopeÖ) at least the same ďchineseĒ thing but either way we all feel a bit dissapointed and misleadedÖ"

Voce tem una Hanway, or You have a Hanway, and are helping to fund the finest fighting force of martial artists the world has ever seen. You have our gratitude. (Guess the movie)

I think that if you knowingly go out and buy a Chinese scooter, that's fine, but the people hocking these things are unbelievably duplicitous. None of these bikes have anything to do with Lambretta, and to use the history and zeitgeist of the Lambretta era to beguile people into purchasing cheap Chinese scooters for a lot more than they are worth should warrant a special ring in Dantes inferno.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm quote
Trotter wrote:
Love that 300 and you can get them.
What 300?
Ossessionato
GTS250
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 pm quote
RoaringTodd wrote:
If Genuine is gonna be the distributors - ask them where the g400c motorcycle is first.
Forget the G400, I want the Genuine Cruiser!
Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:04 am quote
Oh I forgot the g400c. Got this instead.

2a.jpg

Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 pm quote
Quote:
It ended in a lawsuit when the Chinese partners built the scooters to undercut Scomadi.
What else did they think would happen if they went to China? A similar story to golf clubs? Exactly the same as the original ones but made in a factory next door owned by the brother of the original partner!
Hooked
Vespa GTS 300 super
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 am quote
The newer mass made scomadi's are total junk, yes they look nice but that is a far as it goes.

Built in china and up close are cheap and tatty, they started well here in the UK with good numbers sold, but like I thought from the start
after seeing one in the flesh there is loads for sale now and more and more people going off them, guess why...

Let me put it like this piaggio-vespa are light years ahead of scomadi, they ain't even on the same level not even close.

Like I said I do love the "looks" of them but if you were to jump on a brand new GTS/BV350 then jump onto a scomadi you can notice the difference like night and day IMO.

As for the reviews people read on them i'd take them with a pinch of salt, as most of the people doing the reviews on them are close pals with PM and paul and frank so of corse they will plug it is good..

And if you did want a scomadi just buy the Royal Alloy it's 90% the same thing but much cheaper.

On a side note the early hand-built in the UK scomadi's which were limited to 30 and numbered which had vespa GTS engines in them and tweaked were very very good,
but they were crazy money to buy. the new mass sold ones are nothing like the UK hand built ones in the early days and are just cheap feeling/looking crap,
and anyone who buys one over say a GTS needs a knock on the head
Molto Verboso
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 am quote
Have you seen the Scomadi from the Thai factory? After the China fiasco?
Hooked
Vespa GTS 300 super
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am quote
conchscooter wrote:
Have you seen the Scomadi from the Thai factory? After the China fiasco?
I saw the very latest 2018 Euro4 models which came into the UK early last week in both 125/200 which got to the dealers around the UK at the
end of last week and they still look tatty and cheap to me, nothing has changed from what I saw and why would it.

Like I said apart from the looks which I must say are nice, I can't understand how people talk about Vespa's then put the word
scomadi next to it, they are just junk, and when I say that I mean as in they look tatty and very cheap looking, everything up close oooozes cheap.

But again that's just my views
Molto Verboso
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 am quote
Iím going to Scotland in a couple of months for a quick visit and Iím trying to figure how to get to touch one. Thatís the only way for me to satisfy myself.
People who have written about them and ridden them extensively do not use cheap and nasty to describe Scomadi. One guy at SLUK sold his GTS for a 200 TL. No word if he regrets it.
I have no strong feelings such as you demonstrate either way. On my more gloomy days a Yamaha SMax 300 looks good alongside my S150 in my mind.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm quote
I've spoken to several folks who either own one (a 200cc), or who have tested and written about one for magazines or motorcycle journals of some kind. All have reported positively on the bikes but have been careful to list the things they didn't like. On the whole the Scomadi's come out pretty good with good comments about the quality of the bikes, particularly the engine performance of the 200cc unit. This seems to be reflected by other forum members here in the Uk who have actually been to see the bikes. As yet I have only seen one from afar, not close up so cannot really comment from a personal point of view yet. I'm intending to get a full inspection and test ride of a 200 soon. As an engineer, who has developed bikes and engines all my life, I know a good thing when I see one so I'll let you all know. And yes, I'll get photo's!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm quote
conchscooter wrote:
Scomadi is in a different category. Just because people in the US arenít looking doesnít mean they arenít doing. Scomadi may very well not succeed, certainly the US is a tough scooter but to crack, but they are on the road in other countries.
conchscooter wrote:
Iím going to Scotland in a couple of months for a quick visit and Iím trying to figure how to get to touch one. Thatís the only way for me to satisfy myself.
Sounds like you are a fan. Also sounds like you have never seen a Scomadi/Lambretta clone. I think it is safe to say that no one is likely to see one in the U.S. anytime soon. My own opinion is that trying to bring the Lambretta back from the dead by building them mostly out of plastic in China or Thailand is not a very interesting or exciting idea. Or to put it a different way - is anyone excited about the idea of building fake Vespas in China and importing them to the US? Didn't think so.
Molto Verboso
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 pm quote
I like that Vespas are union built in Italy, but I am not convinced by the GTS as my main workhorse when I leave my current riding area which is suited to the 150.
In considering larger capacity scooters I am not fond of cruisers and that leaves limited selection.
I cannot say I am a fan of Scomadi but I am an interested spectator. Plastic side panels donít bother me as Scomadi, like Lambretta attaches panels to a tubular frame. However ducking such criticism the new TT Turismo Technica will have metal panels.
As I plan to retire in Europe my hope that Scomadi come to the US is more in the spirit of expanding choice and interest in the scooter scene.
If Zcomadi are terrible they wonít flourish and my choices will be reduced.
I think that is all I can say at this stage.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2007 Piaggio MP3 250, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 am quote
conchscooter wrote:
I like that Vespas are union built in Italy, but I am not convinced by the GTS as my main workhorse when I leave my current riding area which is suited to the 150.
In considering larger capacity scooters I am not fond of cruisers and that leaves limited selection.
I cannot say I am a fan of Scomadi but I am an interested spectator. Plastic side panels donít bother me as Scomadi, like Lambretta attaches panels to a tubular frame. However ducking such criticism the new TT Turismo Technica will have metal panels.
As I plan to retire in Europe my hope that Scomadi come to the US is more in the spirit of expanding choice and interest in the scooter scene.
If Zcomadi are terrible they wonít flourish and my choices will be reduced.
I think that is all I can say at this stage.
I tried one out a while back and posted on this thread (page 6).
Compared to my Vespa S, the Scomadi was very uncomfortable.
Having been used to metal bodied scooters, i found the creaky plastic of the TL off putting. It's not like you're paying Chinese prices for it.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 am quote
I'm with you conchscooter. Scomadi is something to consider for the future as they become increasingly popular and developed, or not! This morning I phoned a dealer who has the full Uk range on the shop floor and asked some questions. He said the bikes will stand any test or any inspection...there is nothing cheap or tatty about them. Bold words as the sort of inspection I will give it will indeed be truly testing. Interestingly, guys who I've spoken to about the Scomadi's all seemed to think they were cheap knock offs and they had a cheap and tatty look to them. When asked why they say that it seems none of them have actually seen one in the flesh or actually ridden one, but they once read a road test a couple of years ago that said the bikes were badly finished! Well, a couple of years ago I read road tests of early PRE-PRODUCTION models that were released to gauge interest from the journo's and public. I'm told by a dealer these were far from the bikes we get now. So for me the jury is still out until I get a ride and proper inspection of one. They do look nice though don't they!
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:54 am quote
I do like the look of the scoot thiugh not a fan of the all chrome look/finish that's available. Too bad it appears the 300 has been apparently shelved for the time being. The 200 appears to hold its own with the 300 GTS/GTV though.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 1234Next
[ Time: 0.3037s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0597s) ][ Debug on ]