Scomadi Is Coming To The US
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234567Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:37 am quote
Deathshead wrote:
"Royal Alloy" Is is just me or is that the stupid name ever for these bikes?
Reminds me of "Royal Asshole" lol
Yeah, a little marketing help from an agency in the EU or NA may have helped. Royal Enfield is a good name. Maybe they just randomly selected a word to go after Royal and started at the front of an English dictionary :-\
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 am quote
Munch
I totally agree with you on the name. It doesn't translate very well does it.

If you think that's funny look at all the names that Kymco have used to name their scooters.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:49 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
If you think that's funny look at all the names that Kymco have used to name their scooters.
You are right on that one. The "Grand Dink" should win some kind of special award, with "Bet&Win" receiving an honorable (dishonorable?) mention.
eeee-bip
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am quote
See
X-iting. Downtown, My Road, X-town, People and Like.

What were they thinking ?

Bill x
Addicted
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Malossi 166 MKIII
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:21 am quote
Re: See
Bill Dog wrote:
X-iting. Downtown, My Road, X-town, People and Like.

What were they thinking ?

Bill x
There is a guy with a like200i in my neighborhood and i get a chuckle out of kymco freely admitting they made something like a Lambretta. On side note, that kymco like 200 was the only auto scooter i liked available in usa until the royal alloy.

Edit: regarding heritage, doesn't play into my decisions on why i would buy a scooter. Purely it's style and how it looks. performance can be tweaked as most users here have proven. Just so happens i think the heritage style is way better visuals.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm quote
Big Daddy SnakeOiler wrote:
kz1000ST wrote:
Heritage doesn't get you down the road or contribute to reliability. It only makes you feel good.
Not true. A Vespa is built different from the ground up. A Harley is just like any other motorcycle.
Nothing modern rides like a "scooter" like a Vespa.
I'm not interested in riding a motorcycle.
No, a Harley isn't just a motorcycle. Its big V-Twins are the last bikes built with a separate Crankshaft/transmission. It has a patented Potato-Potato exhaust note. They don't feel like any other motorcycle either with a different frame geometry to overcome its weight. They also have pushrod engines.

Like a Vespa their people are part of a culture and consider themselves apart from the general motorcycle population much like Vespa owners consider themselves apart from the general scooter population.

Harley Davidson owners-"If I have to explain it to you, you just don't understand"
Vespa owners-"Only a Vespa is a scooter. Everything else is something else."

You won't change either of their minds.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am quote
I did get several chances to look at this up close and personal at Amerivespa and spoke with the Genuine Rep on hand at length.

This was a metal bodied scoot made in China. It uses a Carb'd SYM made 150 CC engine. Fit and finish was pretty nice, the model I saw uses a split seat. The driver's portion of the seat lifts from the rear to access the gas tank filler. The glove box looks similar to that of a PX200 honestly.

I did ask about other engine options, and the Genuine rep did state there are discussions of a possible 300 engine from Piaggio. But I think that is absolute vaporware.

I heard and saw it running several times at Lake Geneva. It's a nice homage to classic Lambretta's (they had it parked very near a true vintage Lammy at one of the events). I know dealers were getting them unpacked this weekend, so there should be some in the owner's hands soon.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Big Daddy SnakeOiler wrote:
kz1000ST wrote:
Heritage doesn't get you down the road or contribute to reliability. It only makes you feel good.
Not true. A Vespa is built different from the ground up. A Harley is just like any other motorcycle.
Nothing modern rides like a "scooter" like a Vespa.
I'm not interested in riding a motorcycle.
No, a Harley isn't just a motorcycle. Its big V-Twins are the last bikes built with a separate Crankshaft/transmission. It has a patented Potato-Potato exhaust note. They don't feel like any other motorcycle either with a different frame geometry to overcome its weight. They also have pushrod engines.

Like a Vespa their people are part of a culture and consider themselves apart from the general motorcycle population much like Vespa owners consider themselves apart from the general scooter population.

Harley Davidson owners-"If I have to explain it to you, you just don't understand"
Vespa owners-"Only a Vespa is a scooter. Everything else is something else."

You won't change either of their minds.
Yes, back in the late 80's early 90's when scooter rally's were a big thing in NA we used to come across groups of HD riders all the time. The mutual respect was a wonderful thing and we honestly always had a great time together when pulled over at rest stops or at the same camp grounds etc. Just picture a bunch of mods and scooter boys talking shop with a bunch of hardcore bikers and you'll get the idea. The thing is we both had a real passion for what we rode and of course the scoots were all "vintage" at that time as that was during the dark period where you could not buy new here.
Addicted
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am quote
This was a metal bodied scoot made in China. It uses a Carb'd SYM made 150 CC engine.

It's too bad if they were going with SYM engines they didn't stick the 170cc engine in it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I did ask about other engine options, and the Genuine rep did state there are discussions of a possible 300 engine from Piaggio. But I think that is absolute vaporware.
It was actually Scomadi that had a discussion with Piaggio about the 300 (278cc) engine several years ago. That discussion went no where at that time and it is hard to imagine it would ever be restarted.
Hooked

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:45 pm quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
dealers were getting them

For comparison . . Sym/Lance Italia Classic 150. Plastic body panels, but probably very similar engine with roller rocker arms and magnets in both side and bottom oil drain plugs. Also a carb'ed engine, but apparently NO kick-start lever?

Ossessionato
GTS250
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 pm quote
kz1000ST wrote:
This was a metal bodied scoot made in China. It uses a Carb'd SYM made 150 CC engine.

It's too bad if they were going with SYM engines they didn't stick the 170cc engine in it.
I agree with that. SYM's 171cc engine from the HD200 is a runner. [OT] I've heard (rumor?) that the 200 was discontinued due to Euro4 regs.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 pm quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
It uses a Carb'd SYM made 150 CC engine.
They got you too... They mention SYM and talk about their engine, but don't actually say SYM makes their engine. They leave that up to you. It's a Chinese engine similar to the most recent SYM version of the GY6, which the people who make them in China call a GY6 and the people hawking them to the gullible in the US call a GY7. I think Bintelli also calls it a GY7, the latest generation of a very old, tired engine design. The actual manufacturer of this hodgepodge called Royalloy is a company called Hanway. It's their motor. You can get the bike in plastic too, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one can show up at your door for less than $1200. The 170 is the 125/150 with a big bore cylinder on it. Believe it or not, fairly cheap and easy to find.
Addicted
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 am quote
Motovista wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:
They got you too... They mention SYM and talk about their engine, but don't actually say SYM makes their engine. They leave that up to you. It's a Chinese engine similar to the most recent SYM version of the GY6, which the people who make them in China call a GY6 and the people hawking them to the gullible in the US call a GY7. I think Bintelli also calls it a GY7, the latest generation of a very old, tired engine design. The actual manufacturer of this hodgepodge called Royalloy is a company called Hanway. It's their motor. You can get the bike in plastic too, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one can show up at your door for less than $1200. The 170 is the 125/150 with a big bore cylinder on it. Believe it or not, fairly cheap and easy to find.
Sometimes an old, tired engine design can be an advantage since reputable manufacturers work out the bugs. Just Gotta Scoot gave the SYM Fiddle III a favorable review, and the Lance PCH 150, with their SYM ceramic coated cylinders. Most scooter owners want day to day reliability and don't care if their scooter has the latest four valve, dual overhead cam technology. Look how long the Honda Helix sold.
Hooked
P200 (sold) *Elite 250 *Buddy 161 *125cc Passport *Trail 90 *K-Pipe 125

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:57 am quote
Motovista wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:
Motovista dropping a truth bomb!

... that sounds like the guys selling TaoTao's on Craigslist saying they have Honda motors.
Hooked
300 GTS, Stella 4T
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:13 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Deathshead wrote:
"Royal Alloy" Is is just me or is that the stupid name ever for these bikes?
Reminds me of "Royal Asshole" lol
Yeah, a little marketing help from an agency in the EU or NA may have helped. Royal Enfield is a good name. Maybe they just randomly selected a word to go after Royal and started at the front of an English dictionary :-\
I'm guessing the "Alloy" part of the name is to remind you it has a metal body.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Sometimes an old, tired engine design can be an advantage since reputable manufacturers work out the bugs. Just Gotta Scoot gave the SYM Fiddle III a favorable review, and the Lance PCH 150, with their SYM ceramic coated cylinders. Most scooter owners want day to day reliability and don't care if their scooter has the latest four valve, dual overhead cam technology. Look how long the Honda Helix sold.
And SYM still has nothing to do with this scooter. SYM did, in fact, make the engines for the bikes the last person who thought they had the rights to the Lambretta name made. SYM makes very good scooters in Taiwan. They make not quite so good ones in China. Interesting and fun fact- in Australia the SYM Taiwanese scooters have a warranty twice as long as the SYM Chinese scooters. So while I think you can learn a bit about a scooter by reading the impressions of someone who rode one areound for a couple of days, I suspect the people who distribute them, and will be on the hook to fix it during the warranty period, have a better idea of how well the product really holds up over the long haul. Another interesting and fun fact- SYM doesn't have anything to do with Hanway or Royal Alloy in Australia either.
Addicted
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:04 pm quote
Lance scooters and the SYM Mio and Fiddle III are made in the China plant. I would find it hard to believe that Mike Hickman, owner of Alliance, would back a loser after his contact with Znen and dumping them.
Hooked
2008 s150

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 am quote
had a look at a royal alloy today.

thought it was nice.

(no test ride)
Hooked

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:02 pm quote
Enthusiast

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:34 pm quote
UK RA fan here.

Firstly Hanway did not steal the idea from Scomadi. There was a lengthy court battle over here and it turned out that Hanway did a large amount of the design work to bring the scooters into mass production. It also turned out that Scomadi were making plans with another company in Thailand behind Hanwayís back which was a breach of contract. These two things allowed Hanway to go on to sell the same scooter under the RA name.

This also means that the Scomadi brand has taken a massive hit and the RA is outselling Scomadi at least 10 to 1 over here.

Secondly the 300 isnít vapourware. Itís due over here in the UK in September. It has the old version of the GTS engine in it. They are also bringing out a new model at the end of the year.

We donít have the 150 over here but if itís anythung like the 125 itís a great scooter.

Like any bike,buy it from a decent dealer,make sure a full PDI is done,do proper maintenance and you shouldnít have any issues.

The good thing for US owners is that us Brits have been the guinea pigs so all of the issues should be ironed out for you all.

Youíre welcome !

Hereís a very talky review I did ok the plastic bodied version. The ones you have are the more premium metal version known as the GP on this side of the pond.

Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm quote
Tipper wrote:
UK RA fan here.

Firstly Hanway did not steal the idea from Scomadi. There was a lengthy court battle over here and it turned out that Hanway did a large amount of the design work to bring the scooters into mass production. It also turned out that Scomadi were making plans with another company in Thailand behind Hanwayís back which was a breach of contract. These two things allowed Hanway to go on to sell the same scooter under the RA name.

This also means that the Scomadi brand has taken a massive hit and the RA is outselling Scomadi at least 10 to 1 over here.

Secondly the 300 isnít vapourware. Itís due over here in the UK in September. It has the old version of the GTS engine in it. They are also bringing out a new model at the end of the year.

We donít have the 150 over here but if itís anythung like the 125 itís a great scooter.

Like any bike,buy it from a decent dealer,make sure a full PDI is done,do proper maintenance and you shouldnít have any issues.

The good thing for US owners is that us Brits have been the guinea pigs so all of the issues should be ironed out for you all.

LOL. Not true, but very convincing. Scomadi came up with the idea, Hanway made them. Then Hanway made a few extras and sold them on the side. Then Hanway made a lot more and sold them on the side. I don't know why Scomadi was surprised when this happened, or thought the contracts they had were worth anything.
There are way too many people suddenly shilling this dog rocket. It's a disposable Chinese scooter that looks like a Lambretta, that's all. It should be called a Lametao, because it looks like a Lambretta and runs like it's powered by Tao Tao.
I assume you know that Peugeot makes their own 400cc engine only because Piaggio decided to stop selling engines to other manufacturers. What is it that is so magnificent about the Hanway that made Piaggio change their minds and sell the company engines for a product that will directly compete with theirs?
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Tipper wrote:
UK RA fan here.

LOL. Not true, but very convincing. Scomadi came up with the idea, Hanway made them. Then Hanway made a few extras and sold them on the side. Then Hanway made a lot more and sold them on the side. I don't know why Scomadi was surprised when this happened, or thought the contracts they had were worth anything.
There are way too many people suddenly shilling this dog rocket. It's a disposable Chinese scooter that looks like a Lambretta, that's all. It should be called a Lametao, because it looks like a Lambretta and runs like it's powered by Tao Tao.
I assume you know that Peugeot makes their own 400cc engine only because Piaggio decided to stop selling engines to other manufacturers. What is it that is so magnificent about the Hanway that made Piaggio change their minds and sell the company engines for a product that will directly compete with theirs?
Well, actually... not true Tipper describes the case right. The only reason I know this, is becaude the Scomadi case has risen to a "text book example" of a legally sloppy manufacturing agreement with a Chinese company.
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:39 am quote
What I posted is very true. You can read the whole court ruling here if you want to see for yourself.

Thereís a lot of false information and conclusion jumping out there.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5b2897a92c94e06b9e19813d
eeee-bip
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:41 am quote
Twist
Yeah Go Girl.

Good work Tipper.

Bill x
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:51 am quote
Oh and as for piaggio not letting them use the engine. They just brought out the new GTS engine so they are letting the old one be produced under license.

You do realise that the engine in the RA 200 and 125 liquid cooled scooters are an Aprilia engine and that Aprilia is owned by piaggio donít you ? 😉
eeee-bip
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 am quote
Gold
I'm really warming to this guy.

Bill x
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:03 am quote
RRider wrote:
Well, actually... not true Tipper describes the case right. The only reason I know this, is becaude the Scomadi case has risen to a "text book example" of a legally sloppy manufacturing agreement with a Chinese company.
Yes, it is a very lopsided agreement that invited breach. Hanway breached it pretty much immediately. They were selling this design in other markets almost from the day they made the first one. Had Scomadi not hired them to make the scooter, Hanway wouldn't be in the fake Lambretta business. And no matter how the agreement was structured, Hanway probably would have breached it anyway. There seems to be a lot of effort to market this as something other than an unauthorized rebadged Scomadi.

Last edited by Motovista on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 am quote
Tipper wrote:
What I posted is very true. You can read the whole court ruling here if you want to see for yourself.

Thereís a lot of false information and conclusion jumping out there.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5b2897a92c94e06b9e19813d
Oh, snap! Truth bomb, indeed.
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:11 am quote
Motovista wrote:
RRider wrote:
Yes, it is a very lopsided agreement that invited breach. Hanway breached it pretty much immediately. They were selling this design in other markets almost from the day they made the first one. Had Scomadi not hired them to make the scooter, Hanway wouldn't be in the fake Lambretta business. And no matter how the agreement was structured, Hanway probably would have breached it anyway. To state differently is disingenuous, and there seems to be a lot of effort to market this as something other than a rebadged Scomadi.
Nope,wrong again. I suggest you actually read the court ruling rather than just stating what you Ďthinkí happened.

If what you said was true then the court wouldnít have ruled in RAS favour and Scomadi wouldnít have later dropped their appeal.

This isnít my opinion itís all there in black and white straight from the judgeís mouth.
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:15 am quote
And just to add that to call it a rebadged Scomadi is also completely wrong.

RA developed the metal body first,they offer more engine options than Scomadi,they redesigned the panels themselves,they are bringing out a 300cc version as well as a 50cc 2 stroke version and they are releasing another new model in November.

In my opinion the downfall of Scomadi is down to the arrogance and greed of one man who shall not be named.
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:25 am quote
Looks like Vespa Motorsport in San Diego has them in stock right now. Anyone nearby taken one for a test ride yet?

https://vespamotorsport.com/san-diego-scooters/royal-alloy-gt150/
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:58 am quote
Tipper wrote:
Motovista wrote:
RRider wrote:
Yes, it is a very lopsided agreement that invited breach. Hanway breached it pretty much immediately. They were selling this design in other markets almost from the day they made the first one. Had Scomadi not hired them to make the scooter, Hanway wouldn't be in the fake Lambretta business. And no matter how the agreement was structured, Hanway probably would have breached it anyway. To state differently is disingenuous, and there seems to be a lot of effort to market this as something other than a rebadged Scomadi.
Nope,wrong again. I suggest you actually read the court ruling rather than just stating what you Ďthinkí happened.

If what you said was true then the court wouldnít have ruled in RAS favour and Scomadi wouldnít have later dropped their appeal.

This isnít my opinion itís all there in black and white straight from the judgeís mouth.
Two things can be true at the same time. One is that what I said is true, and the other is that, even if true, Scomadi wouldn't have won the case. The case was a non-winner from the start, primarily because they were copying Lambrettas. That has nothing to do with whether or not Hanway intended to sell the scooter on their own from the start. There's a lot there, and it makes for an interesting read. What do you think this part of the court ruling means?
11. Another part of Mr Chenís evidence was his attempt to explain why Hanway had applied for (a) a community registered design, and (b) a large number of ďScomadiĒ trade marks in its own name in a large number of jurisdictions, all without telling the Claimants. He said that so far as the design was concerned he was simply testing the Community design registration system to see if what he thought was an invalid registration could be registered; that so far as the Scomadi trade marks were concerned he thought the Claimantsí rights to their own name only applied in Europe; and that he did not tell the Claimants about any of these applications because ďI did not have a lot of contact with Scomadi directly, and my employees would not be able to do that by themselvesĒ. I did not find this part of his evidence convincing.
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:23 am quote
You claimed that Hanway were selling the scooters under a different name from the get though. This is false.

You claimed that Hanway stole the idea from Scomadi. This is also false.

Yes that quote is true,but if you read the rest of the document it will give you some context.

Itís admirable to admit when you are wrong,Iím not one to gloat.
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 am quote
Just to add to that,the main reason they lost the case is because Scomadi breached the contract by doing a deal with another company behind Hanway back.

Itís a simple as that.
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:42 am quote
Motovista wrote:
CrazyCarl wrote:
Sorry but this is also wrong,its not Hanway's engine. I discussed who makes the engine with them a while back. Ill try to find the messages.

Edit with an update,the 125/150 engine is the same as the SYM engine,its made by a third party and assembled by Hanway.

The 200 and 125 liquid cooled engine is made by Jingchen who currently make engines and engine parts for piaggio in Thailand. Its the same engine thats in the aprilla scarabo.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:27 am quote
Tipper wrote:
Edit with an update,the 125/150 engine is the same as the SYM engine,its made by a third party and assembled by Hanway.
Wow, you're really a wealth of information on this scooter. When you say same as the SYM engine, do you mean SYM makes it, or that it's a Chinese GY6 engine that uses 20x15 roller weights in the variator instead of 18x14? I have seen other bikes made in China that use SYM engines, and there is a sticker on them with the SYM logo. Where is it located on this bike? How is it made by one company and assembled by another? Is Hanway installing engines they buy somewhere else in the bike, or are they getting a bunch of parts and putting them together to make an engine?
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:07 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Tipper wrote:
Wow, you're really a wealth of information on this scooter. When you say same as the SYM engine, do you mean SYM makes it, or that it's a Chinese GY6 engine that uses 20x15 roller weights in the variator instead of 18x14? I have seen other bikes made in China that use SYM engines, and there is a sticker on them with the SYM logo. Where is it located on this bike? How is it made by one company and assembled by another? Is Hanway installing engines they buy somewhere else in the bike, or are they getting a bunch of parts and putting them together to make an engine?
I am,thanks. Iíve been running the uk owners group for a coulple of years now and have a pretty good relationship with the importers and the ceo of RA.

Itís not made by SYM no. Itís just the same model of engine made by another company and assembled by Hanway. Much like piaggio engines/whole scooter are made in China and then assembled I Italy so they can say they are made in Italy.

Iíll find out the exact model of engine for you if you like.

Happy to help ☺️
Hooked

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:31 am quote
Tipper wrote:
not made by SYM no. Itís just the same model of engine made by another company and assembled by Hanway.
Also curious about who makes the 125/150 engine for Hanway?
Are there roller rocker arms and magnets in the oil drain plugs?
What is cylinder stud spacing . . to determine if a GY6-B variation?
What is engine access procedure for checking valve clearance?
Variator weight and belt size?
Enthusiast

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:47 am quote
Itís the same engine as the lexmoto Diablo.

Iíll get the rest of the info later after work.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234567Next
[ Time: 0.3116s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0791s) ][ Debug on ]