PX 200e Clutch Disengament
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
1984 PX 200E Lusso
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:45 pm quote
Hi MV

I'm having a problem with my dad's 84 PX 200e clutch. I had it replaced and installed it myself, however it doesn't seem to separate and so I can't engage gears without slamming into them violently. I thought my cable adjustment was loose so i tightened it up to the point where the lever is ridiculously stiff yet the clutch doesn't seem to work still. Currently i have the clutch out and disassembled and noticed a space for a missing gear that I imagine would sit behind the clutch. I also know that my dad removed the oil mixing mechanisms in the 80s because they weren't the best at getting the mixture right. All other parts of the clutch and its actuation seem normal.

Should I be concerned about the missing gear? What could be wrong with my clutch that I'm just not seeing? Thanks for your advice.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 68 SS180, 81 100 Sport
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:33 pm quote
That 'missing gear' you're referencing, needs to be in place for the clutch to align and separate properly. The gear is part of the oil pump system, as well as a spacer for the clutch. If the oil pump components were removed, then its possible the gear was mistakenly tossed as well.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/washer+clutch+piaggio+th+37mm+_22297700
Ossessionato

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 pm quote
That spacer gear is also available as a "non-autolube" washer. So if you can't stand the idea of having a reliable autolube system, you can convert it over to a premix type of a washer spacer.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/ersatzteile/spare+parts++vespa+pxt5cosa-844/clutch++clutch+cover-843?
Hooked
Molested & Abused 2003 Stella 2T
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:56 am quote
I assume the same problem would arise with an LML motor? I was running pre-mix without that spacer gear installed for some time on my Stella, and never had clutch issues.
Lurker
1984 PX 200E Lusso
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:40 pm quote
GeekLion wrote:
That 'missing gear' you're referencing, needs to be in place for the clutch to align and separate properly. The gear is part of the oil pump system, as well as a spacer for the clutch. If the oil pump components were removed, then its possible the gear was mistakenly tossed as well.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/washer+clutch+piaggio+th+37mm+_22297700
Thanks for your reply. I did take another look at the housing and saw that the part you're talking about is not the one I'm missing. It's a gear that interacts with that spacer, and it sits on the upper left of the housing on a spindle. i suspect it may be the drive gear for the oil pump. Not sure if that's necessary for the clutch though.

Here's a picture of what my housing looks like.

WIN_20200321_16_35_49_Pro.jpg

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:40 pm quote
You’ve got the drive gear there so I wouldn’t be concerned in that department. More than likely you’ve got a problem in the clutch itself or with the engagement components.

Pull it all down and see what your working with. Bad plates, or corks could be an issue. But I’d look at the brass bits and plunger/press plate to start.

Good luck!

-g
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2555s ][ Queries: 28 (0.1041s) ][ Debug on ]