62 vnb rebuild - product advice
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
125 vnb3m
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:53 pm quote
Can anyone tell me if the SIP products, specifically the wiring harnesses and the brake pads are that much better, if at all, to justify spending more? I also need a new swing arm assembly for the front end. They seem to be the only ones that have one, although I'm still searching.

I'm not happy with the wiring harness that I have (not an SIP) and I'm looking for something a little more solid.

Thanks,
Jim
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 am quote
I can comment on the quality of the looms, but not the shoes

From my experience, the Loom is made of suitable material for the job and it feels quite well made.

i have had some 3rd party looms and they have cracked as soon as you look at them. the SIP one is flexible without being too floppy
P200 PX150
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 am quote
Welcome

Recently received a loom and it has quality wire, connectors, and looks cut to the correct length and... AND is correct to the original model design. So, no fiddling to make it work as intended.
IMHO worth the extra coin.

Don't know on the brake shoes.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:02 am quote
I ordered an SIP wiring loom for my SS180, and I was quite disappointed. It is 'Grabor' branded. The brass eyelets on the wires going into the junction box are too big (would have to be replaced for smaller ones), and the wires to the handlebar switch seem very thin and frail. Maybe their looms for other models are better.
Lurker
125 vnb3m
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 am quote
Thanks all. I will try and post up some pics when I finally get the parts. I can do a side by side with the third party harness vs the SIP.
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 am quote
I have a Sip wire harness I put in my vbb and I also have another older type but new and I think the Si looks better quality and certainly connected up exactly as shown in the diagram that came with it. Keep in mind I paid equivalent to 89 Euros which in Canadian is much more, saying that , if you have a good diagram with a good variety of proper color coded wires , a solder gun with good connection ends and some spare time and patience , well you could make your own.
Lurker
125 vnb3m
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 am quote
Lynn,
I was thinking the same thing. A while back I saw some Europeans making extremely complicated wiring harnesses by hand - for high end cars I believe. They took a big sheet of plywood and marked each wire destination with a screw. Then they just bundled up the wires and tied the ends off onto the screws. Pretty clever actually.
Jim
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2860s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0525s) ][ Debug on ]