#lovecroatia
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports 12Next
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:51 am quote
Hello folks,

so, First of all, I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Darian, and I'm living in Tučepi, small town on the Adriatic coast.
I'm driving a '08 Vespa GTS with few mods like Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, front aftermarket shock absorber, etc.

I want to show you the beauties of my country, and I hope you'll enjoy in pics as I enjoyed in my Weekend rides.

Where to go? While enjoying in beautiful sceneries of Passo Vruja, I decide to find the source of river Cetina. Dalmatia inland, here I come!

After enjoying in combination of slow and fast corners and scenic landscape, I'm fiiling up the gas in Sinj, town with rich cultural heritage, famous by the Knight's Alka tournament (Google: Sinjska Alka), which has happened every year since 1715!

After beutiful sceneries of lake Peruča and great road with plenty of corners, little break with view at Dinara Mountain!

...and I'm counting miles to the small place Civljane, where I turned to the local road, until I saw the ruins of oldcroatian church St. Spas from 9th century.

I'm exploring the ruins, and drive few miles to the final destination...

The Cetina River rises to an elevation of 385 metres in the northwestern slopes of the Dinarides, The River has three sources, among which the largest one is the Glavaševo Lake, 130 metres in depth. 105 kilometers long way to the sea starts here.

While enjoying in stunnig scenery and untouched nature, I decide to go into the river, not so smart idea while temperature of water is about 7-8 Celsius.

So, selfie time!

But, it's time to drive back, which is not hard when you have scenery like these in front of you.

So, oldschool vs Modern? I prefer oldschool.

And, after 260 kilometers I'm home, some beautiful experiences, nice roads, stunning sceneries, and plans for next destinations.

Happy New Year!
Ossessionato
BV350, Yamaha Zuma 125, Yamaha FZ6, Toro 3521
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:07 am quote
Beautiful, stunning pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 am quote
That looks stunning. I’m going to Dubrovnik in May, and your photos have made me want to hire a scooter while I’m out there.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm quote
Welcome to MV.

Gorgeous pictures. Keep sharing!
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:30 pm quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
That looks stunning. I’m going to Dubrovnik in May, and your photos have made me want to hire a scooter while I’m out there.
Dubrovnik is beautiful City and I hope you'll enjoy it. Have a look on Dubrovnik from Srđ, visit old Ston walls and taste fish food, drive trough Pelješac and taste some domestic cheese and wine.

Close from Dubrovnik, you can visit a Montenegro, Kotor Bay, ride from Kotor to Lovćen on famous 16 hairpin turns road called Kotor Serpentine, visit Njegus mausoleum, and drive down to Budva and sv. Stefan. Also, close to Dubrovnik you can visit Bosnia and Herzegovina, old town of Mostar and Kravice waterfalls.

I hope you'll have a nice time in Croatia.
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 am quote
So, we are going on!

Sunny day, Vespa is parked in garage wit full tank, what to do? Let's go for a ride!
Imotski is the next destination, small town located in dalmatian hinterland.
As I'm limited with time, I choose the fastest route - driving the coastal road to Baška Voda, then passing trough mountain Biokovo, and 4248m long tunnel Sveti Ilija takes me to the other side of mountain. After few kilometers of driving, I can see Imotski and lakes.

Few words about Imotski! (c/p)
The region of Imotski is situated behind the mountain Biokovo, on the border of Bosnia and Herzegovina with Dalmatia . It occupies an area of approximately 600 km2 .

The region is located at an altitude of 260 meters ( Field of Imotski ) to 440 meters ( town Imotski ). Region of Imotski can be divided into three natural zones: the karst area along the perimeter of the field, spacious karst areas and bays in the wider area - field of Imotski, and a large mountain range Biokovo.

I'm driving trough beautiful sceneries, and enjoying at the look at Imotski field.

Look on the lake Ričice, known as the Green Lake. It is situated in Ričice in the northwest of Imotski. The lake is connected by rivers Vrbica and Ričina.

So, let's go to Red Lake. That lake is named after the reddish-brown color of the surrounding cliffs, colored by iron oxides. Red lake is the deepest karst lake in Europe and one of the deepest in the world. The depth of the sinkhole is around 500 meters, with a width of 450 meters. The diameter of the lake is approximately 200 meters and the depth is 290 meters. The legend says that if you can throw a stone in the Red Lake you will soon get married. Because of its surroundings and the depth of the sinkhole, it is very difficult to throw a stone in the lake, but the locals know the secret of how to make it hit the lake.

One interesting fact about Imotski - it's the town with more Mercedes Benz's per capita than any town on the planet! Driving on Imotski street gives you opportunity to see all models of Mercedes, from old W123s, classic garage queens, and some newest CL63 AMGs. Urban legend says that in small place Grubine, located close to Imotski were more Mercedes Benz cars then inhibtants!

Small pause in caffe bar "Nu", where I'm sitting on the terrace of old stone house and enjoying in familiar atmospere. "Nu" is local funny word for "Look at", specific for Imotski area.

The Topana fortress is located near to the mountain slopes of Modro jezero (Blue lake) and dominates over the town.
The fortress was built in the 10th century and throughout history had a great strategic significance. The patron of the Imotski border- land is Our Lady of the Angels, and a small church of the same name is located in the fortress' surroundings. The fortress was under Ottoman rule for over 200 years. Today, this fortress is a favourite place thanks to the extraordinarypanoramic view, and many cultural events are held here during the summer.

The Blue lake is very attractive to media during periods of extreme drought. When the lake gets dry local people form two teams playing football at the bottom. The match always attracts numerous journalists and images end up in media around the globe.

Also, there is very specific football stadium, Worth visit.
http://www.total-croatia-news.com/i...-you-die-imotski-stadium-number-1-on-the-list

Regards,

D
Hooked
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:25 pm quote
Fantastic stuff here!
Addicted
GTS250
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19 am quote
thanks for sharing, I was in Croatia for Vespa World Days - beautiful country and definitely want to return.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 am quote
Stunningly beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Addicted
GTS 300 - 'George IV' (KIA) GTS Super 300 - 'George V'
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm quote
Wonderful!

Makes me miss mine more
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 am quote
Beautiful Croatia
Thanks for the super photos and trip report. Please keep posting
your adventures.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota USA
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 pm quote
Thank you guys!

So, we're going on!
It's Sunday, the ideal weather forecast, and today's destination is located in neighboring Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I'm riding on the old road to Vrgorac, passing under Biokovo Nature Park and enjoying in the view to the Adriatic Sea, while huge rocks and cliffs stretch across.

A short pause in Vrgorac, the birthplace of the famous poet Tin Ujević, then I'm crossing the border and arriving in Ljubuški, where I visit Classic Car Meeting.

That bike is proof that you do not need a bag of money to make the attractive Scrambler.

Back to the '60s!

Great nippy car, classy BMW E21 with straight six 2.5 under the bonnet!

Offerings to the legend!

I'm passing trough Ljubuški, and driving to Mostar trough field of small private factories, and some traffic jams are the sign that Međugorje is close. Međugorje is one of the most famous Roman Catholic pilgrimage sites in the world and the centre of religious tourism in the region. I'm driving away, and enjoying in beautiful view.

Advertising at its best! Yugo, car with symbolic status in Yugoslavian countries due to the simplicity, reliability, and overall cheap price, and the Yugoslavian mentality of people regularly fixing their own cars instead of servicing them at mechanic shops.

What to say about that town with rich and painful history? Only some c/p...
Mostar is a city and municipality in southern Bosnia and Herzegovina. Inhabited by 105,797 people, it is the most important city in the Herzegovina region, its cultural capital, and the center of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton of the Federation. Mostar is situated on the Neretva River and is the fifth-largest city in the country. Mostar was named after the bridge keepers (mostari) who in the medieval times guarded the Stari Most (Old Bridge) over the Neretva. The Old Bridge, built by the Ottomans in the 16th century, is one of Bosnia and Herzegovina's most recognizable landmarks, and is considered one of the most exemplary pieces of Islamic architecture in the Balkans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostar

Old school...

Lunch break, eating traditional bosnian meat Ćevapčići, with a great look!

Some remembers...

I'm driving across Neretva river, small pause under Počitelj castle from 16th Century.

Random Meet on the road!

And driving home with one break at Baćina Lake..

Regards, D!
Hooked
Vespa PX 125 Settantesimo
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 pm quote
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Stari Most is one of my favourite bridges in the world. It was a real shame that it was deliberately destroyed but great to see it reconstructed so well.
Vespa Sprint 150
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:58 pm quote
Awesome photos!
Addicted
2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2014 Kawasaki Concours
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:25 am quote
Absolutely gorgeous
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 am quote
johnymoore wrote:
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Stari Most is one of my favourite bridges in the world. It was a real shame that it was deliberately destroyed but great to see it reconstructed so well.
I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it ...it's an amazingly beautiful bridge. Sad times, the war.....

Thanks so much for the pictures. Absolutely fascinating and beautiful area.
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am quote
Yes, that was really difficult and bad time for all ex-Yu area. Unfortunately, brings nothing good...

So, we'll go with brighter themes, like these destination.

Only few kilometers from Makarska, you can see high peaks of mountain Biokovo. Biokovo is the largest and highest mountain in Dalmatia. It rises vertically from the Adriatic Coast to height of 1762 m.
Because of it’s geographical position, Biokovo is a mountain that has continental as well as Mediterranean climate, so various plant species of both worlds meet and live next to each other. There are lot of caves and pits around Biokovo and very often one can meet wild muflon as well as various bird species and foxes too.

23 km long road leads to the top, so, let's go!

Flashback...

Some enduro style road...

... and beautiful view to Makarska and islands.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 am quote

The highest peak is close...

And I'm enjoying in the look from 1762 m high peak...

The church st. Jure is a church at the highest sea leveel in Croatia. It was First mentioned in 1640. Each year, the last saturday in July, marking the holiday of St. Jure in church.

Regards, D.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:06 pm quote
Stunning photos. Roads look marvelous for riding!

Interesting slope on that church roof.
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:05 am quote
Wow! Thanks so much for sharing photos of Croatia. I absolutely love seeing the beauty in this world, and you've done a great job of sharing your country with us. Please post other ride reports as you go!

Cheers.
Ossessionato
PX200, Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:03 pm quote
Hi Darian. Your photos are amazing! Makes me want to go back to Croatia. My father is from Sinj and my mother from Zadar. I've been back several times but never had the chance to do it on two wheels. Such great roads. I love the photo of the Yugo. I drove around in my cousin's years ago. More photos please!

Sve Najbolje.
Robert
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:13 am quote
Hello hello! I'm glad that you like photos, and hope that you will soon come to visit Croatia!

Sinj and Zadar are two beautiful towns, I have lived few years in Zadar... Love it.

So, now I need to put some photos about dalmatian backyard, and small town under Kamićak Fortress.

After work, the best is to go to Joyride, with good known road.

This abandoded house always attracts me as good photo theme.

River Ruda located close to Trilj!

Hello road, my old friend! That old road trough fields brings me to Sinj

River Cetina!

Museum of Sinj heritage and Sinjska Alka, absolutely worth visit it!

Sinj main square, in style of old italian Piazzas

Ossessionato
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm quote
Thanks for the photos of Sinj. I'll show my dad. :)
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 pm quote
I've scrolled thru these pics half a dozen times and still can't get enough. Keep 'em coming!
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 am quote
Just few miles outside town...

Zadvarje and Cetina Canyon...

Look at the Passo Vruja

Vespa Sprint 150
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 pm quote
Stunning and fantastic photos. I love how your trip goes.
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:44 am quote
Awesome photos of amazing countryside. Thanks for sharing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:36 am quote
Wow, wow and wow.
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm quote
Thank you guys!

So, let's go on with summertime rides!

The last weekend of August is the time of annual Meeting of Vespa Club Zagreb. Zagreb is Capital town in Croatia, located 400 kilometers from me. But, D1 is one of the most beautiful roads which leads trough dalmatian inland, Lika and Plitvice Lakes, so let's enjoy!

Somewhere above Gračac

The city of Zagreb, capital of Croatia, on the historic and political threshold between East and West, illustrates both the continental and Mediterranean spirit of the nation it spearheads. Zagreb is the cultural, scientific, economic, political and administrative centre of the Republic of Croatia, and is home to the Croatian Parliament, Government and President. Its favourable location between the Pannonian plain, the edge of the Alps and the Dinaric range has allowed it to become a crossing point for mass international communication.
The city is protected from the cold northern winds by the mountain of Medvednica and opens up to the rest of the world thanks to a spacious plain and the Sava river. Zagreb, with a population of nearly one million, contains almost a quarter of the entire population of Croatia. Over the centuries, the city was inhabited by people coming from all over Europe; and, in recent years, by people coming from different parts of Croatia, ensuring a rich cultural life. Zagreb is a safe city whose doors are always open; a city with a tumultuous history teeming with interesting personalities;

a city that warmly invites all those who wish to get to know it, and a city that will surely fulfill your expectations. In this city, you can easily meet remarkable people, make new friends and enjoy special moments. The façades of Zagreb’s buildings reflect the ebb and flow of history, while its streets and squares bear witness to the coming together of the many cultures that have shaped the identity of this laid-back capital. The best thing to do is when you first arrive is to take in Zagreb’s wonderful atmosphere, which, as many claim, is only surpassed by the legendary beauty of the local womenfolk.

Meeting point was in the front of Croatian National Theatre, in the Center of thr town.

We were driving across the town to the small place Sveta Nedjelja, famous by Croatian supercar manufacturer - Rimac. http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/

Rimac Automobili, an automobile manufacturing company established in 2009 in Zagreb, Croatia, grew out of its founder Mate Rimac's garage hobby.[ The company's primary objective was to build an electric supercar, starting, as Rimac put it, "with a blank sheet of paper". Since electric systems for high-performance electric cars were not available on the market, the company developed the necessary parts and patented 24 innovations.
When Rimac's 1984 BMW E30 blew its internal combustion engine during one of its races, he made it the company's first test mule, fitting it with a 600 hp electric powertrain. This car, called the "Green Monster", set five Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)-sanctioned acceleration records in April 2011.This attracted the attention of the media and potential investors. He also created several more E30 electric model to sell, and after some success, went on to create his own car.

The Rimac Concept One is a two-seat high-performance electric car designed and manufactured in Croatia by Rimac Automobili. With a total output of 800 kW (1,073 hp), an acceleration of 0–97 km/h (0–60 mph) in 2.8 seconds, and a price on request, Concept One has been described as the world's first electric supercar.

Greyp, electric bike...
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 pm quote
When you're on Vespa Meeting, you can see lot of Vespa Models. Rare '60s models, restomods, variomats, practically everything!

Mods!

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm quote
Into the sunset!

Meeting was great! Lot of new people, positive vibes, nice driving trough Zagreb, very nice day, and better nigt in Zagreb clubs!

On Sunday, it was time to drive back home, somwhere trough Plitvice...

Rastoke waterfalls

Knin

Sinj

And odometer after weekend...

Regards,

D
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 am quote
This is a great thread, i’m really enjoying your educational tours. Please don’t stop.
Ossessionato
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm quote
Any more photos of the girl on the pink PK?
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:05 am quote
Amazing photography and thank you for sharing a part of the world that many of us will never get to see. It's very much appreciated!

Eric
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 am quote
So, need to clean some dust from this topic...

Spring is in the air, sunny days are in front of us, so let's go. Vespa needs new tires, suspension and some service, but who cares, let's ride!

First, Passo Vruja!

So, today we are going to ride trough Poljička Republika. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Poljica

Riding trough River Cetina Canyon leads me to Ljubeć, part of old fortress from 14th Century.

And after 15 minutes of climbing, that's THE view!

But, after enjoying in view, we are going on...
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 am quote
Without nice view, again

And, after some off road /Vespa=Hard enduro/, have found the bridge which was only way to pass the river!

Regards,

D
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 am quote
Wow. Stunningly beautiful landscape.

That earlier shot with the climbing rope curving around the rock looked intriguing....

Thanks for sharing!
Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 am quote
So, have done some minor works on Vespa... Refurbished alloys, painted in Gunmetal with satin edge, painted brake calipers and new brake pads, and of course, new tires. Metzeler is great choice for Vespa. Fully adjustable Carbone shock absorbers and Malossi engine bushings still waiting in garage, so I will prepare that next week for the new riding season. Better and faster than new

After polishing and some new details

And sunday ride with friend, 1965 Vespa GL, driving trough Neretva River and small break on waterfalls Čeveljuša in Bosnia and Herzegovina

And, one more prove about practicality, ingenuity, style... Love that little scoot!

Regards,

D
Hooked
Vespa PX 150 E 1989, VBB2T 1965, Primavera 150 2014, Honda Vario 110 eSP 2017, Vespa PTS Malossi 1983, Vespa Sprint V 1975 (soon)
Thu May 10, 2018 7:09 pm quote
Thanks for sharing, wonderfull scenery
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 11, 2018 7:09 am quote
Hard to get enough of those pictures!
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports 12Next
[ Time: 0.2955s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0464s) ][ Debug on ]