Jetting and timing a DR177 with Vespatronic
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123456
Author Message
Molto Verboso
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 1989
Location: Florence, OR
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:25 am quote
Wow! Good find. Sucks, but good find!
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 326
Location: Melbourne, Way Downunder
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 am quote
Three hours after pumping it up to 6psi today it was still just over 4psi.

I reckon that'll do.
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 2602
Location: London UK
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm quote
Your pressure testing is legendary. I just wait 10 minutes. Need to up my game.
I would like to say its hard to believe that Malossi reed block but it just isn't. A lot of parts now are a bit rough.
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 2036
Location: california
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 am quote
Remarkable find really.
Ur motors are air tight enough to float with helium.
Curious tho - the hole appeared to be round - as if bored.
What do u make of the almost perfect circle ?
Did that just punch out?

IMG_1211.JPG

Addicted
PX 150
Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:47 pm quote
Thats Nasty Craig..i hope mines ok, been running for over a year now so time will tell

20190803_131933.jpg

Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 326
Location: Melbourne, Way Downunder
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 am quote
Quote:
Your pressure testing is legendary. I just wait 10 minutes. Need to up my game.
I would like to say its hard to believe that Malossi reed block but it just isn't. A lot of parts now are a bit rough.
Yep - dissapointed in the roughness of that. SIP have offered to ship a replacement, fair play to them. U.A.T. has been part of my working life for long enough that I cant divorce myself from it, so it's nice when the result works.
Quote:
Curious tho - the hole appeared to be round - as if bored.
What do u make of the almost perfect circle ?
Did that just punch out?
All I did was press on it with a scribe when it was under about 5-6psi of pressure. The wall was only about .2mm thin at that point, so no surprise it blew. The pretty circle was interesting, the jagged bits were pointing in not out, not sure why.
Quote:
hats Nasty Craig..i hope mines ok, been running for over a year now so time will tell
Nice shot Jim. Mine's got reed cases, so it's a canyon in comparison. I'll try to get a shot. Am thinking about putting a fuel pump on, so might take the vac off the side wall of the block.

She's up and running, but not rideable yet - gear selection needs work.
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 326
Location: Melbourne, Way Downunder
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:33 am quote
Think I'm gonna need some help from the brains trust here.

I put a px lusso driveset in on the latest rebuild. Since then I've been really struggling to select gears.

I've tried my liztor selector, then a used and crusty PX style one out of a box in the garage, then a shiny new one.

Tonight the shiny new one went on. Was stiff at first, but it shifted, and went into all gears. I put some greaseon it and went for a spin.

It was good at first - selected all gears and went up and down. I started to feel good about it and found some gaps in traffic to get it on the pipe. All good and wickedly fun.

Next I headed to the freeway. Just after dark and pretty busy, but I got it into a gap, pushed it through the gears on the pipe, and was happily winding past 100 klicks when I could get a gap. then I jumped off the freeway, looped back on, and headed back into town (less traffic that way)

Heading down the on ramp, I switch into "like you stole it" mode, and wanted to hit 4th really on the pipe. Clutch in, twist to 4th, nope. Massive resistance. Hmm, now I'm joing the freeway coasting on the clutch, rather than accellerating into my gap. Nasty. Rev, hold 3rd, jump off at the off ramp.

From there on, all the way home,I only had 1st and second, and occasionally, if I twisted like I was going to break the cable, 3rd.

I checked the cables, nothings caught, I loosened them slightly in case they were too tight, and I adjusted the clutch up and down.

Weird. 1, neutral 2 and sometimes 3.

Any thoughts on what I might have done?
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2923

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:06 am quote
Gt6MK3 wrote:
Think I'm gonna need some help from the brains trust here.

I put a px lusso driveset in on the latest rebuild. Since then I've been really struggling to select gears.

I've tried my liztor selector, then a used and crusty PX style one out of a box in the garage, then a shiny new one.

Tonight the shiny new one went on. Was stiff at first, but it shifted, and went into all gears. I put some greaseon it and went for a spin.

It was good at first - selected all gears and went up and down. I started to feel good about it and found some gaps in traffic to get it on the pipe. All good and wickedly fun.

Next I headed to the freeway. Just after dark and pretty busy, but I got it into a gap, pushed it through the gears on the pipe, and was happily winding past 100 klicks when I could get a gap. then I jumped off the freeway, looped back on, and headed back into town (less traffic that way)

Heading down the on ramp, I switch into "like you stole it" mode, and wanted to hit 4th really on the pipe. Clutch in, twist to 4th, nope. Massive resistance. Hmm, now I'm joing the freeway coasting on the clutch, rather than accellerating into my gap. Nasty. Rev, hold 3rd, jump off at the off ramp.

From there on, all the way home,I only had 1st and second, and occasionally, if I twisted like I was going to break the cable, 3rd.

I checked the cables, nothings caught, I loosened them slightly in case they were too tight, and I adjusted the clutch up and down.

Weird. 1, neutral 2 and sometimes 3.

Any thoughts on what I might have done?
Shooting from the hip...

Did the cruciform back off the threads a smidge?
Checked the tiny tapered pin that's located in the selector box arm?
Lusso driveset is EFL, correct? Could it be possible that you accidentally installed pre and post Lusso gears on the same stack?
Newer selector boxes aren't the best of quality. Maybe that could be a problem as well?
Some foreign object fell into your headset, causing the shift handle to not rotate forwards?
Frayed gear selector cable causing a fiction point somewhere in your cable?
The pinch bolts at the selector box are too tall, and are fouling out against the selector box cover?
Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 2036
Location: california
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:47 pm quote
Quote:
I put a px lusso driveset in on the latest rebuild
Well - I fall well short of brain trust - actually - I think I fail on both counts - but first thought is this:

https://scooterlab.uk/vespa-px-gear-selector-boxes-part-1-workshop/

These guys did a whole write up about it with some pretty detailed pics you can confirm with Check vs V shapes and subtle height change - which might be interfering as it goes above deck in 3rd gear - where you are having some weirdness.

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 3.48.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 3.48.12 PM.jpg

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3058
Location: Nashville
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:44 pm quote
JBWeld repairs aren't temporary. Just sayin' D
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 326
Location: Melbourne, Way Downunder
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:15 am quote
Life has been a little busy.

Went out and figured it out today.

I'd already played with the selector box. And the cables. And the clutch. And the selector rod. And boroscoped the cruciform. Nada.

I took the selector box off the cables completely, and the problem remained. Must be headset or cables.

So I pulled out the headlight and speedo, and I looked hard in the headset. The cables ran free, but the selctor disk could concieveably foul on the inner edge of the headset (it's a px style disk in a Super headset). So I dremelled it. No good.

I then thought I had it - the new disk has a new clip, maybe it's sticking. So I trimmed the excess of the ends. Better, but still sticking. Then I had a bloody good look at the tube itself.

There was a big fracture, and a twist in the tube, and it was fouling on the clutch cable.. Getting it out was a chore.
[/img]

fullsizeoutput_3e11.jpeg
Problem solved. New tube ordered.

Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 4589
Location: San Diego, CA
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 am quote
eegads! at least you found it!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 8058
Location: Victoria, Australia
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:33 pm quote
And cable outer I hope!
Member
LML Star Deluxe 125 (177)
Joined: 08 Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Location: Japan
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:18 am quote
160/BE3/118 main

Does the '160' refer to the air corrector?
SoCalGuy wrote:
I agree with Ginch, stick with 2%.

FWIW, I'm currently running a 24/24 carb on my Polini 177 with a BGM pipe. Jets are 38/120 idle, 160/BE3/118 main. It's dialed in pretty tight. Good luck.
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 3058
Location: Nashville
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:32 pm quote
Star177 wrote:
160/BE3/118 main

Does the '160' refer to the air corrector?
Yes it does.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123456
[ Time: 0.1641s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0342s) ][ Debug on ]