Mid Winter Whinging
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8333
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:14 am quote
mikenpalsie wrote:
it is snowing again, not expecting too much, just enough to mess up the roads... again. oh well warmer weather is coming.
7+ inches here. First time to use the snowblower, but unfortunately realized I'd "gifted" the gas in my gas can to top up my GTS thinking I'd already gassed up the snowblower. Nope. Shoveled a middle path so I could at least get out to buy gas. At least my scooter knows it's loved.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2619
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 am quote
Re: winter
fledermaus wrote:
mikenpalsie wrote:
it is snowing again, not expecting too much, just enough to mess up the roads... again. oh well warmer weather is coming.
7+ inches here. First time to use the snowblower, but unfortunately realized I'd "gifted" the gas in my gas can to top up my GTS thinking I'd already gassed up the snowblower. Nope. Shoveled a middle path so I could at least get out to buy gas. At least my scooter knows it's loved.
Sorry Dave, I can't help laughing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5141
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 am quote
Re: winter
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
mikenpalsie wrote:
it is snowing again, not expecting too much, just enough to mess up the roads... again. oh well warmer weather is coming.
7+ inches here. First time to use the snowblower, but unfortunately realized I'd "gifted" the gas in my gas can to top up my GTS thinking I'd already gassed up the snowblower. Nope. Shoveled a middle path so I could at least get out to buy gas. At least my scooter knows it's loved.
Sorry Dave, I can't help laughing.
+1
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2619
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:00 pm quote
Look on the bright side. The GTS is gassed up and ready to go.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Look on the bright side. The GTS is gassed up and ready to go.
Put a shovel on the front? Works for pickup trucks :-\
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8333
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:17 pm quote
Supportive friends are such a blessing.

All right, you'll be happy to know that I got to my office to clear the sidewalk with my little 2 stroke Toro and underestimated the gas in that one as well....shoveled half of it. On the plus side, can't blame the scooter for that one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm quote
If I had snow I'd be getting one of those things that this thing is actually not one of even though you might think that that thing actually really is that thing to clear it.

https://www.boringcompany.com/not-a-flamethrower
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 3504
Location: Olympia, WA, USA
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:07 pm quote
They 'swept' the road today, thus...a damn roundabout full of dirt and debris in the rain
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm quote
Sorry everyone. I'm so busy enjoying the great weather here that I forgot to bump this for you miserable northerners.

Bump.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8333
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Sorry everyone. I'm so busy enjoying the great weather here that I forgot to bump this for you miserable northerners.

Bump.
I know, your gift to MV humanity.

Well, while I'm here, might as well whing a bit. Crazy winter in that it's actually decent riding weather...but then again with salt about and a lot of darkness, I think I'll just suffer it out....unless, of course, it rains.....
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:16 am quote
znomit wrote:
Sorry everyone. I'm so busy enjoying the great weather here that I forgot to bump this for you miserable northerners.

Bump.
Remind me to post something like this in mid July or August.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5194
Location: Home of the Alamo
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:43 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
Sorry everyone. I'm so busy enjoying the great weather here that I forgot to bump this for you miserable northerners.

Bump.
Remind me to post something like this in mid July or August.
Good idea.

Remind me to remind you.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 391
Location: south Texas
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:18 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Sorry everyone. I'm so busy enjoying the great weather here that I forgot to bump this for you miserable northerners.

Bump.
I'll have you know that the majority of northerners are not miserable. Probably 52/48. And then, there are many of us northern hemisphere folks who are actually southerners... who used to live in the frozen northland. But, now we're enjoying the great weather here at latitude 26. Where the water in the toilet rotates the proper direction.

It was 75ļ (f) here today. Sunny. For full disclosure, I didn't get any riding in today... spent the morning washing the motorhome, then my wife wanted to do lunch out and shopping. Crowds. OK, that was a bit miserable. Nevermind.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10658
Location: Oregon City, OR
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Put a shovel on the front? Works for pickup trucks :-\


Ural Plow.jpg

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 886
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm quote
Yeah, yeah - you folks just *wish* you were going to get an inch of rain driving through with 30+ mph winds tomorrow...

Hope the power stays on...
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:22 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Put a shovel on the front? Works for pickup trucks :-\
Awesome!
Addicted
2, aprillia scarabeo light. 500. 2007 2009
Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 642
Location: North central florida.
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:48 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Put a shovel on the front? Works for pickup trucks :-\
. Looks like a ural twowheel drive!
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2468
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:21 pm quote
Temporarily cured my winter blues with a trip down to FL. Check out ďOkeechobee TourĒ in ride reports.

F0EAFFB2-332E-4F6E-83D7-347359EDCCCE.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Look on the bright side. The GTS is gassed up and ready to go.
Put a shovel on the front? Works for pickup trucks :-\
How much do they weigh?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5141
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Look on the bright side. The GTS is gassed up and ready to go.
Put a shovel on the front? Works for pickup trucks :-\
How much do they weigh?
Way more than a Vespa.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 8333
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 pm quote
Guys, guys...... that was LAST winter.

I'm ready to roll with chains on the snowblower, gas in the can.... and NO snow.

Think I might as well go for a ride this weekend.

Znomit, you must really get some dark satisfaction out of this thread.
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Posts: 667
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am quote
This past weekend I was out on the ZNEN for an hour or so. I rode all over GR, mostly in town. I only went about 20 miles, but itís not often I can say that in early January. It was chilly, like low 30s, but everything was dry.

Iím really looking forward to spring, though.
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2468
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 am quote
Rode around in 60F weather yesterday, had to ship a package to my brother in AL. It was windy, but fun riding. Last time I rode was in Dec in FL. it's 31F today, although sunny and not too windy. Winter sucks so much, we're heading to summer on Monday.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 am quote
It was a lovely day for a ride today

S2GH010068.jpg

W1GH010068.jpg

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 4567
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
It was a lovely day for a ride today
Some people have all the luck Harbinger.
I went out to the cage to go for groceries and as I passed the bike, I noticed I had a FLAT!
Checked and found an industrial staple well inserted in the front tire. I said to myself and to the neighbour lady who had come over to say hello,
"Gosh golly gee, isn't that a disappointment. I guess I'll have to get the plug kit out."
After we had concluded our pleasantries, I said "@#&&%$$#@" several times, to the tire/staple and went for groceries.

Got home, unloaded the groc's and took out the plug kit.
The f*****g cement was as hard as my head. No repair today.
Too f*****g cold to ride anyway.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
It was a lovely day for a ride today
Some people have all the luck Harbinger.
I went out to the cage to go for groceries and as I passed the bike, I noticed I had a FLAT!
Checked and found an industrial staple well inserted in the front tire. I said to myself and to the neighbour lady who had come over to say hello,
"Gosh golly gee, isn't that a disappointment. I guess I'll have to get the plug kit out."
After we had concluded our pleasantries, I said "@#&&%$$#@" several times, to the tire/staple and went for groceries.

Got home, unloaded the groc's and took out the plug kit.
The f*****g cement was as hard as my head. No repair today.
Too f*****g cold to ride anyway.
Rough day! Hope you got some good groceries... Make yourself a nice dinner
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1246
Location: Adelaide
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 am quote
Record temperatures today. Tarcoola had 49 c /120 f. Fire bans across several states. Millions of fish have died in rivers due to lack of water flow as the drought continues and because of water being sucked out of the river system.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 am quote
Hope you're all well up there.

Today it hit 28įC (that's 82F for those of you who haven't figured out water is supposed to boil at 100 and freeze at 0). I had to take the flyscreen off the LX to increase the airflow.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 2610
Location: Bangkok
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:57 am quote
30 C here today. Say 31 for tomorrow.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 am quote
waspmike wrote:
30 C here today. Say 31 for tomorrow.
I feel your pain brother. How horrible!
Maybe some of our North American friends could post you some snow?
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:32 am quote
znomit wrote:
waspmike wrote:
30 C here today. Say 31 for tomorrow.
I feel your pain brother. How horrible!
Maybe some of our North American friends could post you some snow?
Here you go. -17 C here this morning.

IMG_1830.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
waspmike wrote:
30 C here today. Say 31 for tomorrow.
I feel your pain brother. How horrible!
Maybe some of our North American friends could post you some snow?
Here you go. -17 C here this morning.
See? You pricks have heaps of snow you're not sharing with your suffering sweltering scooter cousins.

How selfish!

Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 am quote
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
waspmike wrote:
30 C here today. Say 31 for tomorrow.
I feel your pain brother. How horrible!
Maybe some of our North American friends could post you some snow?
Here you go. -17 C here this morning.
See? You pricks have heaps of snow you're not sharing with your suffering sweltering scooter cousins.

How selfish!

What can I say? I'm Canadian and have to live up to the reputation of us being pricks

However if you want some I have plenty. I'll toss it in a cooler and ship it your way.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5581
Location: New Zealand
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
waspmike wrote:
30 C here today. Say 31 for tomorrow.
I feel your pain brother. How horrible!
Maybe some of our North American friends could post you some snow?
Here you go. -17 C here this morning.
See? You pricks have heaps of snow you're not sharing with your suffering sweltering scooter cousins.

How selfish!

What can I say? I'm Canadian and have to live up to the reputation of us being pricks

However if you want some I have plenty. I'll toss it in a cooler and ship it your way.
Just make sure it's not yellow
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6776
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:05 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
It was a lovely day for a ride today
Can't take my scooter out with all that salt on the roads
Hell hate driving my car in the salt, but that is why I bought it.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
It was a lovely day for a ride today
Can't take my scooter out with all that salt on the roads
Hell hate driving my car in the salt, but that is why I bought it.
There wasn't any salt yet. I only ride on dry roads in the winter, it just happened to start snowing. Do you see any salt in the picture?-

The Ural which I will ride in anything will have undercoating protection.

I've ridden the Vespa and BMW for for 2 winters with NO salt damage. People worry too much and it's fine as long as you don't let it sit for too long. If after 10 years it starts to show a little rust you get it fixed or buy another one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 6776
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
It was a lovely day for a ride today
Can't take my scooter out with all that salt on the roads
Hell hate driving my car in the salt, but that is why I bought it.
There wasn't any salt yet. I only ride on dry roads in the winter, it just happened to start snowing. Do you see any salt in the picture?-

The Ural which I will ride in anything will have undercoating protection.

I've ridden the Vespa and BMW for for 2 winters with NO salt damage. People worry too much and it's fine as long as you don't let it sit for too long. If after 10 years it starts to show a little rust you get it fixed or buy another one.
No, they use salt brine on the road here and it turns into dust once it dries and takes weeks to get rid of it all with lots of rain.
not sure how you don't have residue on the roads all winter. My scooter won't see the road till end of March. Too many wires with to little dielectric grease in them for me to ride in the crap.

The MP3 500 I got from Plymouth Ma, had all it's aluminum etched from salt.
It was only 2 years old with 4,800 miles.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:27 am quote
Sigh -19 C currently.

Extreme Cold Warning for Southern Ontario
Active for next 12 hours ∑ Environment Canada
This alert has been updated.
Posted 4 hours ago
A prolonged period of very cold wind chills continues.

Bitterly cold arctic air combined with strong westerly winds have resulted in wind chill values near minus 35 tonight.

The cold air will remain in place Thursday. Conditions should improve Friday as milder air moves into the region.

###

Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.
Recommended actions
Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

If itís too cold for you to stay outside, itís too cold for your pet to stay outside.
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 4883
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 am quote
This should warm everyone up.


The Ice Run - YouTube
Chrome - Copy and paste below in to browser.

youtube.com/watch?v=e6LRvj6-7OQ
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5194
Location: Home of the Alamo
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 am quote
I'd complain, but it's 59F outside now, with a forecast high for today of 65F.

Oh yeah, it's overcast. Darn.

Rant over.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.3107s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0572s) ][ Debug on ]