@older_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018

Hooked
@older_guy avatar
Vespa 300 touring 2018
UTC quote
I would like to put a license plate frame on my 300. I dont have the scooter home yet but just looking ahead. will a Harley frame work or where can I find something that will work.
Thanks Older Guy Its a PA plate
⚠️ Last edited by Older Guy on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150

Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Most, if not all, state cycle and auto tags now are a common size so most any license plate frame you would like should work OK.

fried okra
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, it's just a matter of whether you want skulls with red jewel eyes, chromed barbed wire, or simple classic black.

P.S. You get the most speed improvement with the fake carbon fiber.

P.P.S. You can get a frame with a H-D logo, but you're not fooling anybody.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
What you really need is a license plate frame for your car:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@older_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018

Hooked
@older_guy avatar
Vespa 300 touring 2018
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Yeah, it's just a matter of whether you want skulls with red jewel eyes, chromed barbed wire, or simple classic black.

P.S. You get the most speed improvement with the fake carbon fiber.

P.P.S. You can get a frame with a H-D logo, but you're not fooling anybody.
Not looking to fool any one I had a nice plain one on my Harley. looking to do the same on scooter
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
fried okra wrote:
Most, if not all, state cycle and auto tags now are a common size so most any license plate frame you would like should work OK.

fried okra
You would think so wouldn't you I got a plate frame from Vespa of Thousand Oaks when SDB still owned them and it doesn't fit my Va. plate.
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
Get a custom one! I got mine from http://www.billetframes.com. They're a little pricey ($40) but there are a ton of customization options - font choice/color/one or two lines/frame color....
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Tne spikes are nice touch just in case someone backs in to your scoot. Does it come with the tear gas and oil slick option?

Older guy, guess you don't want to the one from the dealer? That being said the one from the HD should work.

Bazziemoto's idea works as well though.
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Tne spikes are nice touch just in case someone backs in to your scoot. Does it come with the tear gas and oil slick option?
LOL. It's really just aesthetic....something different among a sea of Chinese scoots.
OP
@older_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018

Hooked
@older_guy avatar
Vespa 300 touring 2018
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:

Older guy, guess you don't want to the one from the dealer? That being said the one from the HD should work.

It seems some one does not like Harley riders,get a grip !!
older Guy
@attention avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 GTS300 Supersport (The Yella 'Un aka The Sting)

Molto Verboso
@attention avatar
2017 GTS300 Supersport (The Yella 'Un aka The Sting)
UTC quote
Older Guy wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

It seems some one does not like Harley riders,get a grip !!
older Guy
I don't think that Harbinger was a dig at Harley riders. His post was accompanied by a wink emoji after all.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Yup.

It's really the Triumph riders I have a hate on for

Older guy, I've posted enough tips and help on your threads that you should know I don't have a hate for Harely riders or any rider for that matter. Actually I'm not sure where they insult would be in what I said but that's just Internet forums for you I guess and the wonky I suppose is not all powerful. Anyway no insult intended and no grip required.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
The spikes remind me of the chariots in the movie Ben Hur.
@ride4321 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Scarabeo 250

Hooked
@ride4321 avatar
Scarabeo 250
UTC quote
I'm not sure what they make PA plates out of but our NY plates are made out of aluminum foil. First thing I do with a new bike is back the plate with a sheet of metal or aluminum so it doesn't tear off from the bumps and wind. I could use some plate frames myself. I'm interested in seeing what you all are using.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
The spikes remind me of the chariots in the movie Ben Hur.
Historicaly accurate as well! :-/

Actually the Vespa dealer here has a decent plate frame and the Motorrad one isn't bad. It's also advertising for the dealer as well after all.
OP
@older_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018

Hooked
@older_guy avatar
Vespa 300 touring 2018
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Yup.

Older guy, I've posted enough tips and help on your threads that you should know I don't have a hate for Harely riders or any rider for that matter. Actually I'm not sure where they insult would be in what I said but that's just Internet forums for you I guess and the wonky I suppose is not all powerful. Anyway no insult intended and no grip required.
Thank you I guess I took it the wrong way,sorry, as I turn 80 the vespa is my way of still riding on two wheels with out the worry of the heavy harley.I thank everyone on this forum for all the help they have givin me.I will post pics of the new vespa after the mods are done. Thanks again.
Older Guy
john
@turboblew avatar
UTC

Hooked
"MY WIFES" 2010 GTS FASTER & BETTER ENGINEERED THAN YOURS!!

Hooked
@turboblew avatar
UTC quote
the irony... most States have a specific law about obstructions around your tag/plate. I would probably check your local statutes.
Look around... see how many vehicles you see with a "dealers" frame around the tag(s). $65 ticket in FL.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
turboblew wrote:
the irony... most States have a specific law about obstructions around your tag/plate. I would probably check your local statutes.
Look around... see how many vehicles you see with a "dealers" frame around the tag(s). $65 ticket in FL.
Law enforcement in the Jax area rarely enforce traffic laws as it is. How many drivers in this area will put down their phones when hands free becomes a primary law
@turboblew avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@turboblew avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Law enforcement in the Jax area rarely enforce traffic laws as it is. How many drivers in this area will put down their phones when hands free becomes a primary law
I agree. Arguably the most dangerous epidemic ever! Sit back & watch and see how many "distracted drivers" you will witness in a given day.
They will pace other lanes. They will tap brakes for no reason. Fail to maintain a lane. Never signal. The fines and charges should eclipse ANY DUI.
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
This is perhaps an ignorant question, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why do members on this forum black out their license plate number if they post a photo of their scoot? Bazziemoto, I noticed you did when you were exhibiting your nice license frame. I'm just so curious. Thanks.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
It's a privacy thing. With a plate number someone could potentially find stuff about you....
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
Larrytsg wrote:
It's a privacy thing. With a plate number someone could potentially find stuff about you....
Okay, thanks. It just seems kind of odd, since we ride around with the license number in plain view.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
In the UK you can check anyones plate to see if they are road legal: https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

You will often see cars wheeled clamped in suburban streets because a disgruntled neighbour has reported the car. I guess you could do the same from a forum post.

Tbh, if you live in London and are worried about your plate being seen you are in the wrong city as it is continually logged by big brother anyway.
Kimono32 wrote:
Larrytsg wrote:
Okay, thanks. It just seems kind of odd, since we ride around with the license number in plain view.
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
larry tsg and johnnymoore--you are both right. I checked into it and here's what you can find out just from a license plate number:

-Year/make/model of vehicle
-name of vehicle owner
-owner's traffic citations
-DUI/DWI offenses
-registration details
-vehicle history report
-accident report

All for the special 5-day introductory price of $0.00. Alarming!

Guess I'll start blacking out my plates, too. Lest the digital world gain access to my secrets....

Older guy, hope you found just the right frame for your license plate. Just a friendly reminder to "black it out" when you post the pics. If you are inclined to privacy, that is

Good luck!
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
UTC quote
I'm no lawyer and could easily be 100% wrong, but I think in California there are laws against releasing personal information to someone who simply offers a license plate number. I believe it was a case of a young woman (isn't it always?) who was murdered by a stalker after he found her through the motor vehicles department that got the law passed.
@glitterballhedgehog avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 vespa px150 serie america

Hooked
@glitterballhedgehog avatar
05 vespa px150 serie america
UTC quote
Kimono32 wrote:
This is perhaps an ignorant question, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why do members on this forum black out their license plate number if they post a photo of their scoot? Bazziemoto, I noticed you did when you were exhibiting your nice license frame. I'm just so curious. Thanks.
I think most people accept the risk of being found by the motoring public. The gravest threat of being found by someone on this forum is a risk few will accept.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Kimono32 wrote:
larry tsg and johnnymoore--you are both right. I checked into it and here's what you can find out just from a license plate number:

-Year/make/model of vehicle
-name of vehicle owner
-owner's traffic citations
-DUI/DWI offenses
-registration details
-vehicle history report
-accident report

All for the special 5-day introductory price of $0.00. Alarming!

Guess I'll start blacking out my plates, too. Lest the digital world gain access to my secrets....

Older guy, hope you found just the right frame for your license plate. Just a friendly reminder to "black it out" when you post the pics. If you are inclined to privacy, that is

Good luck!
Maybe in some States but you can't get anything as an regular Joe in Ontario AFAIK. So yeah if there is curious cop or someone in the right area of gov't here I guess they could get something. Until someone proves me wrong in Ontario I'm not going to worry about it, there is enough FUD out there to go around. Those that black out their plates I respect the decision to do so but I can't be bothered if posting from one of my iThings. From a Mac or PC though it is ridiculously easy though so I suppose why not in that case. On the other hand I don't use Facebook as that is a way better way to put yourself out there. Don't trust FB as far as I could throw Zuckerberg.
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
+1. In California you couldn't find all that out about the owner. And the system that has the information tracks who accessed the information which is usually law enforceent or DMV personel. I used to have access to it for my government job and now I have to jump through hoops to get someone else to get it for me after providing documentation showing why I need it. Any cop could have it in a flash, but most other people no. This isnt the same in other states though. It's still good personal safety to black out your plate number when putting pictures on the internet.
@conchscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200

Molto Verboso
@conchscooter avatar
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200
UTC quote
I run license plates for police officers as part of my job dispatching. If I do it for fun or stupidity not only do I risk getting fired I can be prosecuted criminally. Everything I do is recorded and randomly audited so... I don't bother to cover my tag. It's on the vehicle to be seen.
If you want to avoid being recorded stop using credit cards. They give away tons more info than a license plate
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
bean counter wrote:
+1. In California you couldn't find all that out about the owner. And the system that has the information tracks who accessed the information which is usually law enforceent or DMV personel. I used to have access to it for my government job and now I have to jump through hoops to get someone else to get it for me after providing documentation showing why I need it. Any cop could have it in a flash, but most other people no. This isnt the same in other states though. It's still good personal safety to black out your plate number when putting pictures on the internet.
I will send you $100 if you can get any info from my License place number.
He's my MP3 tag info Virginia tag number HATEGOP
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
... my MP3 tag info Virginia tag number HATEGOP
HATEGORP? You have a peanut allergy or something? Is home made trail mix not good enough for you?

Clown emoticon
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Yup.

Why because Brandon rode a Triumph? Razz emoticon
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I opted for the Piaggio logo bolts from Scooterwest.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I prefer my plates un-surrounded. Sure the edges will get wet, but it's just a plate, right?
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Larrytsg wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
... my MP3 tag info Virginia tag number HATEGOP
HATEGORP? You have a peanut allergy or something? Is home made trail mix not good enough for you?

Clown emoticon
Razz emoticon
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
turboblew wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
I agree. Arguably the most dangerous epidemic ever! Sit back & watch and see how many "distracted drivers" you will witness in a given day.
They will pace other lanes. They will tap brakes for no reason. Fail to maintain a lane. Never signal. The fines and charges should eclipse ANY DUI.
I was in Gotham day before yesterday, in my old nabe in the Slope, and I saw a slew of drivers getting pulled over at an intersection by cops for stuff like phone use, etc. Knowing the NYPD as well as I think I do, this only tends to happen after something truly awful has occurred in the area. And, sure enough, a few hours after getting home, I hear about this:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/03/05/pedestrians-struck-in-brooklyn/

Sigh...

Back to the OP's inquiry: Here in Joisey (and most of the tri-state area for that matter), PTW plates are smaller than those for four-wheelers, which works for me, since slapping a bigger plate on bikes just seems clumsy and goofy IMO (the bigger plates I saw while in Europe appeared less-so to me). I just went with the frame the dealer put on...even though the dealer's main brand wasn't what I'm riding.
They also sell KTM, assorted ATVs, watercraft...and hot tubs. Hey, it's kept the doors open.
They also sell KTM, assorted ATVs, watercraft...and hot tubs. Hey, it's kept the doors open.
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
... You can get a frame with a H-D logo, but you're not fooling anybody.
HA! Thanks for the morning laugh!!

I frequently ride with a bunch of HD and other big bike riders. I'll see if any of them are willing to switch frames with me Laughing emoticon
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
My Buddy currently sports no frame on the plate. The previous owner did have an H-D frame on it as he was an H-D guy, he took it off when I bought it.
I say do as you wish...
My father always eschewed dealer plate frames because he always said that if "my car was to have their name on it I'd like to be paid for the advertising."
I did at one time trim a scrap piece of vinyl house siding to hang below the plate to sport a support ribbon for my son's NG unit.

This thread had gotten me to thinking, I want to put a frame on my plate now, am I succumbing to power of suggestion? However deeply insconced in the world of Philleys fans, a New York Yankees one cycle plate sized is impossible to find, even on the internet.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1653s ][ Queries: 42 (0.1278s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]