OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking at purchasing one of these bikes having just sold my car and piaggio mp3 125.

I'm currently doing the knowledge for the black cabbing so will be doing a lot of riding around central London with having to do u-turns with the odd bit of filtering.

I found it very capable doing it on the 125 but the bike was a bit sluggish when accelerating and I wouldn't attempt to overtake anyone as i know it wasn't capable.

I'm looking at getting a more all round bike as I'll be using it to commute to work but may have to use it on the motorway.

Would the Yourban be sluggish in acceleration like the 125cc?

Would the weight of the 500lt make it harder for manuverabiltiy as I coped well with the weight of the old one that weighed 230kg.

What's the handling like of the 500lt at lower speeds?

If I done the mods of exhaust, sliders, variation and clutch would it make much of a difference to the performance of the Yourban?

Any info would be much appreciated.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
the weight of the 125 230 kg mention on the papers is dry weight add about 10 to 12 kg the yourban does have smaller covers and windshield less windprotection it will topout at 135km /h it will be sluggish when doing 80km/h and trying to overtake as stock

Exhaust will be a sound mode no performance increase

Dr pulley Vario V201503M1 will gain more topspeed the Hitclutch more overall pulling when installing a other Vario space it out sometimes the belt will go to high and rub at the casing cousing a hole in the crankcase
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
Iv owned every single version of these Scooters and I'd get the yourban every time.it's made for your requirments.300cc is plenty quick enough around London and could easy travel on faster roads.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
Sorry just to add,your better off spending your money on a mid sized touring screen,topbox and a set of muffs with Oxford heated adventure grips.don't bother with any so called improvements to exhaust,engine
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
In fact iv just looked on gumtree and found the perfect yourban for you.it's 2800 only in barking it has the screen topbox carrier and an apron comes with just 8000 miles and 2 keys.sounds like a good fit for you
@frcx94 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business

Addicted
@frcx94 avatar
2019 MP3 500 HPE Business
UTC quote
Hi mcgeever,

In relation to the description of use that you make of it, the Yourban 300 seems an excellent compromise...
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
Thanks guys for the replies as the information has really helped.

So putting lighter rollers/dr pulley sliders wouldn't help with the acceleration?

Maksor you're the parts expert, do they make aftermarket rear shock absorbers as I may have a pillion passenger so would look at having to adjust them or are the stock ones simple enough to do this.

Is the maintenance easy say taking off the fairings, I managed to take off all the panels on the 125 and replace the speed sensors pretty easily and would like to gain that bit of knowledge by trying to work on the bike if something was to go wrong to my capabilities.

The heated grips and screen would be a priority, I'm looking at getting the Givi Airflow as I didn't get on too well with the high piaggio screen on the 125 as the glare from oncoming traffic night was too blinding.

I've spoken to the owner of the Yourban in barking, seems a decent chap and has been very helpful with giving info on the bike and stuff like tax and insurance. I'm hoping to view the bike next weekend as my shift pattern has me finishing at 23:40 this week.

I think the Yourban does make more sense for my needs, I think the wanting of more power to get away from the idiots up my arse what I was used to on the 125.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
yeah I had the 125 and found it almost embarrassing at times. I can assure you the 300cc engine is well up to the job and will put a smile on your face. they are all made to carry 2 people so no need to worry about shocks. its good you asked the fella in barking about his scoot. it has everything already on it. as for the air flow screen . I personally thought them no better than anything else or any worse. it looked odd on the bike but the yourbans tiny tiny screen is pointless and the midsize screen is the best of both worlds.lets hope he doesn't sell the one in barking before you get a chance to own it. its nice to find a scoot that you don't need to travel 100's of miles to view. good luck fella and keep us posted
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
It's your lucky day. Yet another Yourban has turned up on gumtree.this time in battersea with 12000 miles at 2650 comes with everything the other scooter has but has heated grips installed already.your spoiled for choice lol
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
Thanks for all the information Buddyspudface, i bought a yourban today and think i got a good deal on it. Paid £2800 for a 64 plate with 4800 miles on the clock and came with an oxford monster chain and alarmed disc lock.

Baring a bit of scratching on the fairing covering the front wheel its in pretty good nick, thing goes like a rocket and it does seem a lot more agile than the 125.

Only thing now is to install the hot grips that you recommended and an alarm ive bought and to get some muffs and a leg cover.

One gripe i have is with the seat, it reminds me of the honda pcx which is horrible. The little hump just digs into my back and pushes me more to the front of the bike. Ill look to fit my shad comfort seat as its such a great seat.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
well done. seems like a good price. did you manage to get one with all the extras you were thinking of?.
my personal choice is the lovely blue and white version but most seem to be the black and grey.
when your mot is due there is a really nice garage local to you over by the waste site in a road behind Halfords in bromley.
enjoy your ride.
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
It came with a top box but he didn't have the key for it so I've ordered a givi lock as I think I read somewhere that they make the piaggio top boxes.
I've ordered some tocano handlebar muffs and the adventure hot grips you recommended and an alarm.
I'm having them fitted by in moto in Addiscombe as Linkway where I usually go recommended them due to the technicality of the wiring for the alarm.
Luckily the bloke had just done a full service and mot on the bike in October so I have no worries about that for now.
Just have to sell a few bits now from the old MP3 125 that I bought like the comfort seat and footboards.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
Not sure if the same company but in moto croydon were tottally rubbish when I tried to you use them.incompetent,couldn't care less attitude.but you might be more lucky.
With regard alarm. I'm not keen on them personally,thatsham cat 1 I'm assuming.maybe a clifford? If you wanted an alarm I'd have gone for a disk alarm.much less trouble and to be honest I'd rather they saw and set of a disk alarm before they force the ignition lock and smash the steering lock off before they realise it's gona make a noise.but by then they would just push it away anyway.if you don't mind what price have you been quoted for the installs?
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
They didn't give me a quote price, just said it would take all day as im having the hot grips fitted at the same time. The alarm is a blue fire 12v that had good reviews online.
I would of attempted it myself as the hot grips wouldn't be a problem but I stripped the bike last time with YouTube tutorials and I would want to do it again without seeing what needs to be removed first as I used them videos in reverse when putting it back together the first time.
I currently have a oxford mini scooter d lock that is alarmed going through the front wheel securing my cover as I've had 2 nicked off the last bike in quick succession even though the cover was chained through the front wheels. I have an alarmed disc lock on the back brake disc as well, it's a heavy duty one I got with the bike.
With the top box rack I can't chain it to a lamp post outside my house like I did previous but installing the alarm that 125db which connects up to the lights making the flash when triggered would probably be a big more off putting than a disc or alarmed d lock that they can just cover to silence.
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
I'll ring in moto just to get a quote for what I'm paying for as I wouldn't want to pay over £200 for a £12 alarm plus the hot grips.
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@buddyspudface avatar
UTC quote
your joking right? £12 alarm its not a cat 1 alarm then to try to get your insurance lower?
sometimes I find it hard to understand if people are pulling me plumbs online Nerd emoticon
as for doing the work yourself. if it takes you a hole day to do the work yourself just think of the knowledge you have gained.
if it was me id strip the thing down to the frame at the back removing all plastics including seat base. from this position you can install the alarm and while you have great access id also remove throttle body/intake manifold and clean it out.id also check the valves in the engine.remove variator and clean up while deglazing the clutch bell housing. as for the heated grips you should be able to get away with removing the handlebar covers and finding a ignition live on the left electric clusters to power grips. just all in a days work but a long day though.
GET STUCK IN
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 125

Piaggio mp3 125
UTC quote
I don't think it's a cat 1 alarm but it's been recommended on a few websites I've seen and it's had good reviews. My insurance premium only went up by £80 to change from my 125 to the yourban without the alarm.
I did look at getting a datatool red s4 alarm but looking at the problems people have had with it, I don't see the point of paying that much for alarm if it's gonna cause me problems.
Everything you just mentioned would be too complex for me as I wouldn't know where half the stuff was. I'd be ok working out how to strip the fairings off and fit the hotgrips myself as I did a good job with replacing the previous ones.
After looking at how the mechanic connected them up to the main cables with poor soldering I think me wiring them through the frame to the battery looked a lot smarter.
I may have a go at fitting them tomorrow as it would be good to get a bit of knowledge on the bike.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0283s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0040s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]