Yamaha 3-wheel scooter
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 pm quote
I saw this on Isla Mujeres today. Yamaha Tricity. 125cc according to the web but the owner told me 250cc and cost about $4800us. I don't recall seeing this before.Big wheels in front. Looks like a nice bike and probably stable and well planted like the mp3 since it's highly likely that at least two wheels are on the ground most of the time, like the MP3. 125cc might be a little under powered tho. I see Yamaha also has a 3-wheeled motorcycle coming out called the Niken. 850cc. Not quite my tastes. Looks like it will have a high center of gravity.

Best
Miguel

51C937B9-CCC7-481B-A859-664422A09FD9.jpeg

8DFBDF7B-54C9-4668-942D-29EB2D1C776C.jpeg

Last edited by Miguel on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 pm quote
Niken was on display in a local motorcycle exhibition recently. You could touch it, but not sit on it.

It will be interesting to see how it will sell. It's definitely not a scooter, but a rather sporty looking and capable street bike, with manuals gears and a chain drive - that has 3 wheels. It's a bit hard to imagine an average 850cc sport bike buyer looking after an other front wheel, but you'll never know....

The Tricity looks interesting, never seen one live. 3-wheelers look strange to me, but I can imagine it would be quite interesting and practical to ride - as well as the mp3 .

image.jpeg

Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:49 pm quote
I’m pretty sure that it’s a 125cc and have certainly never heard of a bigger engined one. One interesting bit of trivia - it’s what Valentino Rossi uses as a pit bike these days. No doubt a move forced upon him by the Yamaha marketing department.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
300CC Italian scooter, 750CC Russian Sidecar,1650CC Bavarian ADV Tourer.
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm quote
The Yamaha Niken is way more interesting to me. It appears we have different tastes

I have no issues with a smaller displacement bike but the lines on the scoot you posted I just don't find appealing, especially the front end "nose" The MP3 has nicer lines. Just my opinion though.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie , Yamaha tricity & T-max 530
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:09 pm quote
Definitely 125cc same as the one I own .
Newer version comes with the n-max 125 or 155 vva engines .
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 pm quote
No kickstand!
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 pm quote
Yamaha Tricity 125
I had no idea this scooter existed. Is it available in the USA.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 am quote
RRider wrote:
Niken was on display in a local motorcycle exhibition recently. You could touch it, but not sit on it.

It will be interesting to see how it will sell. It's definitely not a scooter, but a rather sporty looking and capable street bike, with manuals gears and a chain drive - that has 3 wheels. It's a bit hard to imagine an average 850cc sport bike buyer looking after an other front wheel, but you'll never know....

The Tricity looks interesting, never seen one live. 3-wheelers look strange to me, but I can imagine it would be quite interesting and practical to ride - as well as the mp3 .
Looks like a cross between a lifted pickup truck and a transformer toy in mid shape-shifting.

RRider: I don't know about the Yamaha but the MP3 feels very stable and seems to grip the road in ways a two wheeler doesn't. I wouldn't hesitate to consider it if it were available expect the aesthetics don't match my taste very well. Besides, I'm pretty happy with the GTV.

Best
Miguel
GT300ie / LX150
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 am quote
Seeing a few TriCitys hitting the local market in Cambodia now as 2nd hand imports - they look pretty good actually and reasonable prices
Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 pm quote
SCTLVR wrote:
No kickstand!
It’s on the side stand (kick stand) in picture , Also has a centre stand , The tricity won’t stand on it own it will full over unlike the mp3 .
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:07 pm quote
Didn't know where to post this story, so I'll squeeze it in here.
A local was selling a Yamaha Tricity via social media. A potential buyer turns up, hands over an envelope with 'cash' and rides off into the sunset, before the envelope could be opened. You guessed it - envelope contains just paper.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-11/scooter-stolen-after-buyer-allegedly-handed-fake-cash/13046634
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 pm quote
Greetings:

Maybe the seller shoulda opened the envelope before handing over the key?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:33 pm quote
.... have you ever looked at my avatar? For any information you can contact me ... also on how to do business.
One note, the first series 125 was shorter and had a 12 "rear wheel instead of a 13" (and wider tire) like today; moreover it has never had the ABS, the parking brake, the front glove box and the full led lights.
(Engine 125: 12 hp 95 km / h - 155: 15 hp 105 hp - all 4 single-shaft valves VVT Toyota system)
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 am quote
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:10 am quote
ihoverboard wrote:
Are you also on the Yamaha Tricity owners club Facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1575125506098798

Addicted
BV 350
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:48 am quote
Twice
Twice as many front-end parts to repair, not to mention the linkage. Perhaps a 200% higher chance of a puncture, since there are now three wheel tracks. I assume if the braking action is uneven, it 'pulls' one way or the other. With our multi-potholed streets, be interesting to see the effect when one wheel drops into a hole, but not the other.

How far can you lean it before it picks up one of the front wheels? I tend to ride my BV like a sport bike.

More 'diversity' is always better. But I won't be shopping for one.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:44 pm quote
Yamaha Three Wheeler
Attila,

Best photo ever of you and your scoot. If I am correct, Yamaha does
not offer your model here in the USA? If available, I would buy the Yamaha
over the Piaggo MP3.

I hope the New Year is finding you well. I am still sipping Italian Strega Liqueur in the evening while enjoying a fine Sancho Panza Double Maduro Lancero cigar.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
Molto Verboso
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:21 pm quote
Attila wrote:
ihoverboard wrote:
Are you also on the Yamaha Tricity owners club Facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1575125506098798

That’s just a copy of my post 5 down from top
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS300 S
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:05 pm quote
Re: Twice
Jimding wrote:
Twice as many front-end parts to repair, not to mention the linkage. Perhaps a 200% higher chance of a puncture, since there are now three wheel tracks. I assume if the braking action is uneven, it 'pulls' one way or the other. With our multi-potholed streets, be interesting to see the effect when one wheel drops into a hole, but not the other.

How far can you lean it before it picks up one of the front wheels? I tend to ride my BV like a sport bike.

Might answer some of the questions.
https://global.yamaha-motor.com/design_technology/technology/urbanlegend/#no03
Ossessionato
GTS250
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:16 pm quote
This article reports the TriCity 300 was released to the US. Yamaha powersports doesn't list it.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/yamaha-three-wheeled-scooter-launched-in-the-usa/ar-BB154q8H
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 pm quote
I still want a tricity 155. wish I could get one to play with.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:25 am quote
Only three Yamaha scooter models in the US? Incredible!
Look at the italian catalog:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/it/it/products/scooter/
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am quote
Jimding wrote:

I have been riding MP3s exclusively since 2007 (250, 400, 500hpe) and have never had any of the above problems. The scooter actually runs fine with one punctured front tire - good enough to get you safely off the road, if not home. I have never had uneven braking. If one front wheel drops into a pothole (or loses traction) you just keep going on your way. And with a lean angle of greater than 40 degrees and the ability to scrape the center stand, riding like a sport bike is no problem - in fact with the added front contact patch, it can be even better.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
Jimding wrote:

I have been riding MP3s exclusively since 2007 (250, 400, 500hpe) and have never had any of the above problems. The scooter actually runs fine with one punctured front tire - good enough to get you safely off the road, if not home. I have never had uneven braking. If one front wheel drops into a pothole (or loses traction) you just keep going on your way. And with a lean angle of greater than 40 degrees and the ability to scrape the center stand, riding like a sport bike is no problem - in fact with the added front contact patch, it can be even better.
Honestly, I bought a three-wheeler being unconvinced, it was a used one with a few miles but new ... a real bargain.
So I initially went around with little conviction in it but by guiding it I learned to appreciate its strengths (many) and defects (few); consider that it is very light (364 lbs), has a flat platform and runs 25 miles on a liter of fuel (I try to use your measurement system). The little Tricity doesn't have the "stand assist" system but that's not a problem, the vehicle is low and well balanced.
Changing the front wheels in an emergency would not be a problem, in fact they are hooked to the rolling pin which, once removed, allows the wheel and disc to be removed while the caliper remains fixed to the forks.

Addicted
BV 350
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:01 am quote
Good to know
I might, upon occasion, lean more than 40 degrees. but not a common thing.

My comment on flats was based on sweeping a wider path, with 3 wheel tracks, rather than, for the most part, one, on a conventional scooter. If nails/screws are randomly scattered on the street, higher chance of encountering one.

Do any of you that ride them notice any effects from road 'dish'? Many of our roads (including Interstates) have perceptible wear in the normal tire tracks, which can be felt with single-track vehicles. Since that is the preferred riding track, wondered if you need to keep the three-wheelers 'centered' to prevent pulling on the steering.

If people are happy with them, then that's great. My personal feeling is, the fewer the parts, and the lighter the bike, the better. An answer to a question that I don't ask.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:51 am quote
The answers are many, you have to consider that the third (rear) wheel runs where the other two do not; it is fair to say that if you avoid an obstacle with the wheels coupled then you can hit it with the single rear.
But the road is not just made up of obstacles otherwise nobody would drive anything but tracked vehicles ...
So where are the benefits?
Safety is certainly the strong point of this vehicle which, by placing a second wheel on the front, not only adheres better to the road surface, especially in case of rain, but also balances the weight between the front and rear of the vehicle, gaining therefore in stability.
The explanation is less simple than it seems, because the additional complexity and weight required by the third wheel (and its tilting and steering systems) must be justified with tangible benefits. Which should be sought on the safety front: compared to a traditional scooter, the presence of two front wheels doubles the contact surface with the asphalt. Above all, the likelihood of simultaneous locking or skidding of two wheels is much lower than that of a single wheel, so front grip - essential in any two-wheeled vehicle - is safeguarded. Consider that now all three wheels have ABS and combined braking (lever and possibly pedal) better if there is ASR (anti-skid).
From a dynamic point of view, an extra wheel means greater gyroscopic effect and therefore greater stability (at the expense of some handling). Finally, the greater number of mechanical parts on the front tends to rebalance the weight distribution, which in scooters is chronically unbalanced towards the rear.
Check out what happens under wet braking in the video:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VvHlSeQPxM-

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 am quote
my experience on mp3 500 has been transcendent. initial minutes on bike I pretty much hated it. about 45 minutes in I was absolutely hooked. although the bike drives pretty much drives like a two wheeler thats where the similarity ends. its soo much safer riding experience it cant really be placed in the two wheel scooter category. its in a category of its own.

leaning is leaps and bounds safer. when it rains and I am caught on a two wheeler I creep home as slow as possible in complete fear from how easy it is for front wheel to wash out and bike goes down. the three wheel is soo much safer I found myself taking the three out for rides in the rain on purpose. its actually fun to ride in the rain. not kidding.

potholes common in florida due to fl being the rain capitol of the world and roads built on sand are also leaps and bounds less threat. no comparison really. only one wheel needs to stay on pavement. the other can go right over a pothole that would take a two wheeler right down.

cornering is faster and more nimble on a two wheeler. but that advantage is overshadowed by a the three being far more stable in a lean. results in far more confidence to push the lean angle. you dont want to hit a pebble with front wheel on a 30 degree lean on a two wheeler. on three you can lean 40 and hit a pebble that does nearly zero to upset the track. I hit a tree root in a corner on the three and both front wheels left the ground briefly. IN A LEAN. the steering didnt even wiggle. would have been down hard on a two.

driving one handed. no comparison here either. easy on three. risky on two.

braking distance vastly shorter on three. no comparison hear either. I could go on. but when I here someone who doesnt understand how killer this three wheel platform is I just shake my head. you dont know what you are missing.

its simply brilliant by design. and a shame there are so few models in usa. people just dont know what they are missing.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 am quote

Very personalized ... I appreciate that.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1681s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0434s) ][ Debug on ]