One small frame for man...
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123456789
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a red lipstick '74 sprint
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 pm quote
Thats inspiring Brother M, i will try to put a regulator like urs on my smallie as well someday
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:28 pm quote
koenig blues wrote:
Thats inspiring Brother M, i will try to put a regulator like urs on my smallie as well someday
I ran one like that on the Super before fitting the Vape, just a cheap ebay full-wave regulator/rectifier. And it was fine. This one's a BGM - which I'm sure is exactly the same on the inside. It's just handy because it has pretty good instructions on how to wire it up. Once it's set up I'll test my spare cheap ones to check the function.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:21 pm quote
Slow progress (still). But at least getting somewhere.

The electrical problem turned out to be an unintentional earth in the rear brake housing and switch - I'd left out the rubber under the switch because the 'lever' part that acts on the switch itself is quite low. Ended up sanding off a bit of height from the switch, along with the rubber isolation part. Now shit works, which I find t be an agreeable arrangement.
Trying to find the problem, I re-drew the diagram so I could be clear about what was what. I had been working off 3 diagrams - the (crappy photocopied) SIP one that came with the loom, a hand-drawn one that the guy at Avotecnica did for me for the VMC ignition, and the BGM part diagram for the regulator. I was pretty happy with the result.

wiring diagram.png

lights.jpg

118883608_231964428233746_2621475165078391256_n.jpg

118860983_2580063382305752_3475268143610676094_n.jpg

Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:26 pm quote
ooo. missed this.
110 out and there is a fire - making it as close to mad max feeling as you can get in Los Angeles - so busy wining the internet.

This scoot has a ton of good chi.
Hardly recognizable from it's day of arrival.
I tried a few times to draw my wiring diagram and it was a worse mess in cad than the sketch I started with!
This looks pretty good - and you will be happy to have it when you're mucking with it in 6 months and you've forgotten that blue changes to green as it attaches to the sidecar.
Trust me.

Is that some kinda temp gas tank in pic #1?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:59 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
ooo. missed this.
110 out and there is a fire - making it as close to mad max feeling as you can get in Los Angeles - so busy wining the internet.

This scoot has a ton of good chi.
Hardly recognizable from it's day of arrival.
I tried a few times to draw my wiring diagram and it was a worse mess in cad than the sketch I started with!
This looks pretty good - and you will be happy to have it when you're mucking with it in 6 months and you've forgotten that blue changes to green as it attaches to the sidecar.
Trust me.

Is that some kinda temp gas tank in pic #1?
Yeah there's a better pic of it a few posts back. Very much in the bodge vein.

I use cad every day so it's not too bad. Glad to have done it as it's really easy to follow, should make going DC later on much easier. And yes I've done the "I'll remember that, no need to draw it" thing and found (to great amazement) that I didn't.
If you have a decent sketch, send it to me and I'll put something together.

Fire = bad
Hot hot weather = bad

Hot hot + fire = V. bad. Makes you glad you're in the suburbs.
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 am quote
Ginch wrote:
Slow progress (still). But at least getting somewhere.

The electrical problem turned out to be an unintentional earth in the rear brake housing and switch - I'd left out the rubber under the switch because the 'lever' part that acts on the switch itself is quite low. Ended up sanding off a bit of height from the switch, along with the rubber isolation part. Now shit works, which I find t be an agreeable arrangement.
Trying to find the problem, I re-drew the diagram so I could be clear about what was what. I had been working off 3 diagrams - the (crappy photocopied) SIP one that came with the loom, a hand-drawn one that the guy at Avotecnica did for me for the VMC ignition, and the BGM part diagram for the regulator. I was pretty happy with the result.
I bet redrawing the schematic helped a lot, helps for thinking it through.
Project is coming along beautifully.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:29 pm quote
Cheers Lynn. I always liked how clear and simple the Beedspeed diagrams are - or were now you have to pay for them. So that was the gold standard.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:55 pm quote
Front end issues? I know you got a mixed bag of parts that hopefully fit.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:57 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Front end issues? I know you got a mixed bag of parts that hopefully fit.
No, just we are sharing an already built up front end for registration purposes... that's with Craig atm. Things are somewhat restricted currently on a few fronts.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:45 am quote
Felt as though I achieved a bit this weekend.

For one I cleaned up the shed so I could move. Always makes me feel better.
Then I made a number plate holder from some scrap ali I had. It's very light and quite solid, almost exactly the size of our plates.

I'd been fiddling with a seat base I made, it was sort of ok but needed too much to work. So I started again, modifying the mold I'd made for the first one. I added 4 raised areas so I can glue 4 seat rubbers on where you actually sit. And a couple of ribs for strength. So that square is around the tank lid, with just enough clearance - I wanted a low seat.

Had a little trouble with my "mold release" which was annoying.

Maybe the tail is a bit long, not quite sure. It's difficult to visualise it properly without it being properly covered. The hump will be pretty small by the time it's covered too - I tried a number of foams (including a slab of gel I bought a while ago) but the most comfortable was the sleeping/yoga mat I bought. Quite soft but being closed cell means it doesn't bottom out. If you'll pardon the pun.

10a.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:05 am quote
What the hell you made your own seat base, wowe. Now that there is a great idea. What did you use to make the mold itself?
edit: you deserve a thumbs up for that one, but got a one per hour limit, I'll be back
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:37 am quote
Way to go, Ginch!

I like the plate holder and I LOVE the seat You have a good eye.

What did you use for release agent?

Some old pattern shop tips if you ever try it again:
Wax the plaster plug good
Maybe try PVA as your release agent
Put straws w/ taped off ends in the plaster at intervals so you can use air pressure to remove the fiberglass without breaking the plug
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:47 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
What the hell you made your own seat base, wowe. Now that there is a great idea. What did you use to make the mold itself?
edit: you deserve a thumbs up for that one, but got a one per hour limit, I'll be back
Ha ha! Thanks Lynn!
V oodoo wrote:
Way to go, Ginch!

I like the plate holder and I LOVE the seat You have a good eye.

What did you use for release agent?

Some old pattern shop tips if you ever try it again:
Wax the plaster plug good
Maybe try PVA as your release agent
Put straws w/ taped off ends in the plaster at intervals so you can use air pressure to remove the fiberglass without breaking the plug
Oh damn! Should have talked to you beforehand...
Thanks T... I saw something that said you could use grease as a release agent. In retrospect, I see that was Fake News put out by Big Oil.

My mold (plug?) was mostly some high density foam with plaster for the final few mm. You can see the green colour in the broken mold picture.
The straws are an interesting idea, paper or plastic? Might be an issue if I'm shaping the mold though, but if I was making a "proper" fibreglass one I could incorporate that I guess.

I should say it's taken a long time and it would be very easy to trim too much off, so that bottom edge came off in about 8 goes about 2 or 3mm at a time. And I still need to make/adapt a hinge.
bodgemaster
1963 GL, 1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:54 pm quote
Mighty fine work there, Ginch. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:57 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Mighty fine work there, Ginch. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks Mike, me too!!
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 pm quote
Quote:
For one I cleaned up the shed so I could move. Always makes me feel better.
Oh so true.
Makes work quality better as well - which is evident in the projects.
Very cool fabrication.
Good inspiration!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123456789
[ Time: 0.1786s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0301s) ][ Debug on ]