2009 MP3 500 Newly Purchase!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 am quote
ramblerdan wrote:
That horn appears to be held on with zip ties, wrapped around a moving part. Not a long-term solution.
I mounted the horn with a metal bracket underneath and added a zip tip to the bolt the holds the throttle cable for extra mounting point so the horn will not move or budge. The zip tie is noway near any moving part. Thanks for the heads up.

@Brasseye: The WOLO horn works perfect. It is in my opinion the best upgrade I have done to the scoots since all riders will go through circumstances when we are not seen and risk getting cut off or hit. I've only used the horn a handful of times but it's so audible and heard by other motorist that they instantly know you are there or they response immediately when they hear it. Compare to the stock horn which a lot of motorist will hear but react slowly. This upgrade has paid for itself with just a handful of times I've used it since it truly gets their attention right away.

Last edited by penilani on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:
klaborde wrote:
penilani wrote:
klaborde wrote:
Squeazel wrote:
I replaced my leg shield as well- but you might want to think about replacing the VIN plate. It's just 4 pop-rivets. It makes it easier to sell it if it's easy for the mark, I mean purchaser, to see the VIN.
I have replaced my Leg Shield 2 times.
Easy to drill out the Rivets and replace.
This is something you can't leave off, that would cause a problem with re-sale I know here in Georgia.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
I used a drill to take the plate out. I don't have a rivet gun so I left it out for now. I already ordered a rivet gun online and should be arriving this week.

Fuzzy Washer and Dr. Pulley Installed! WOW...what a difference. Its been raining all weekend but a dry moment on Sunday, I was able to ride and It. I am amazed in the significant difference it made in take off and how smooth it feels on the low end. Thanks everyone for the Advice and Tips.

Next MOD/Install:

I just picked up a GIVI E470 Monolock top case with M5M plate for $60. It comes with 3 keys. Thanks to Sully who has graciously given me an MP3 500 bracket--I will be custom fitting the GIVI E470 this coming week.

Looking to get a windscreen AND I AM DONE!

hoping to take more pics this week when its clear out.
Home Depot, not expensive...
Don't attempt to Glue, it just won't stick to that ABS.
I recently used mine to repair my gutters, so its a good tool to have.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
It's probably best to keep the VIN plate in its original location- everyone expects it to be there, rather than hidden in the pet carrier or something.

Also- it's polypropylene rather than ABS. ABS can be glued with the black sewer-pipe cement, but polypropylene and polyethylene are impossible to glue
I bought a rivet gun and should be arrive this week. I'm not planning on selling the scoot anytime soon. I was just planning to place the VIN plate elsewhere but if and when I sell it, definitely I will mount it back to the original place.

I really thank everyone's input. There's difference in opinion sometimes but thank you everyone because I can make informed decisions based on everyone's experience and knowledgeable inputs.

I should be getting my GIVI Monolock plate soon. I will be attaching my GIVI E470 top case soon. I also got my tires and looking for a shop that can mount it. These two things will be the last of upgrades I will be doing since the wife is noticing I'm spending too much time in the garage...lol. I bought this scoot knowing it's a project but it's occupying too much time in my wife's opinion. Anyone else going thru or has gone thru what I'm going thru?
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 pm quote
Can anyone tell me what this plug is for. I noticed this plug on the negative side of the battery. I'm puzzled on what this plug is and why it's beside the battery. I'm sure its a connection for something but I just can't figure it out.

20180313_180723.jpg

20180313_180636.jpg

Hooked
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:51 am quote
Strange connector........... But what about The no pets sticker ???

Are you going to put a dog under the seat ?

Do you have a link for which horn I should get for a mp3 500 2016 ?
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:57 am quote
its the obd plug
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 am quote
penilani wrote:
I mounted the horn with a metal bracket underneath and added a zip tip to the bolt the holds the throttle cable for extra mounting point so the horn will not move or budge. The zip tie is noway near any moving part.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but that's not the throttle cable, it's part of the tilt-lock mechanism, and that entire plate rotates.

But if there's a stout bracket underneath, it might not matter if the zip tie wears through.
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 am quote
Maksor wrote:
its the obd plug
Thanks Maksor.
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:50 am quote
ramblerdan wrote:
penilani wrote:
I mounted the horn with a metal bracket underneath and added a zip tip to the bolt the holds the throttle cable for extra mounting point so the horn will not move or budge. The zip tie is noway near any moving part.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but that's not the throttle cable, it's part of the tilt-lock mechanism, and that entire plate rotates.

But if there's a stout bracket underneath, it might not matter if the zip tie wears through.
I see your point and my mistake for thinking its the throttle cable mount. If its for the tilt lock--its mounted tight with no movement or rotation from any piece except the cable. Its mounted on the Nut in the middle far away from the cable and there is no moving or rotating parts you mentioned.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm quote
penilani wrote:
ramblerdan wrote:
penilani wrote:

I see your point and my mistake for thinking its the throttle cable mount. If its for the tilt lock--its mounted tight with no movement or rotation from any piece except the cable. Its mounted on the Nut in the middle far away from the cable and there is no moving or rotating parts you mentioned.
That assembly held on by the big nut actually rotates. I'd suggest you put it on the centerstand, open it back up, and activate/deactivate the tilt lock to see what goes on.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
That assembly held on by the big nut actually rotates. I'd suggest you put it on the centerstand, open it back up, and activate/deactivate the tilt lock to see what goes on.
+1
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
penilani wrote:
ramblerdan wrote:
penilani wrote:

Thanks and yeah I took the zip tie off.
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 pm quote
Just installed my Givi E470 thanks to MadisonSully for the MP3 bracket.
Also installed an after market shocks to lower it 2 inches. I'm 5'8 and now can flat foot it. Future mod will be a windscreen and that's it!

20180403_173001-1.jpg

20180403_172948.jpg

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco, 1973 Norton Commando 850
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:28 pm quote
penilani wrote:
Also installed an after market shocks to lower it 2 inches. I'm 5'8 and now can flat foot it. Future mod will be a windscreen and that's it!
I will be interested to hear your views about the performance of those aftermarket spring/damper units. They are all over the internet and at crazy low prices. There was a thread on here about 3 years ago about them but it kind of petered out after a few months.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm quote
penilani wrote:
Glad it worked out for you.

Part of the reason I didn't use that one was, I found the other one (I get Monolock and Monokey mixed up) is basically the same for the MP3 500 but causes the case to sit further forward. Which didn't work for me, as I carry a pillion whenever I can. Anyway, here's a side view of my setup. 2" makes a huge difference in this case.

IMG_1564.JPG

Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:43 am quote
Diver3284 wrote:
penilani wrote:
I will be interested to hear your views about the performance of those aftermarket spring/damper units. They are all over the internet and at crazy low prices. There was a thread on here about 3 years ago about them but it kind of petered out after a few months.
The ride is quality is not as good as stock but tolerable since I'm 5'8 and 165lbs---its definitely bumpier but tolerable in my opinion. I have not taken it on long ride but definitely ridden 5-6 miles at a time and I can sacrifice having a bumpier ride for being able to flat foot it on stop. I read reviews on this suspension and seems like everyone who bought it tolerated it--also I bought mine for $75 dollars. If you want to lower your ride and have the same comfort as stock suspension--theres a thread going on for a lowering kit for $165 shipped. Hope this helps.
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
penilani wrote:
Glad it worked out for you.

Part of the reason I didn't use that one was, I found the other one (I get Monolock and Monokey mixed up) is basically the same for the MP3 500 but causes the case to sit further forward. Which didn't work for me, as I carry a pillion whenever I can. Anyway, here's a side view of my setup. 2" makes a huge difference in this case.
Nice ride MadisonSully. I was thinking of moving the Case back but I would have to drill new holes. So I just went with the original bracket holes and leave it at that. Thank you once again Sully. Now I'm starting to look for windscreen---any advice on which one works best for our MP3?
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 pm quote
Picked up a Givi windscreen and bracket for $50. Newly installed and what a difference in freeway driving. Looks like my mod list is almost complete...looking to getting an exhaust and Im done. Anyone know of anybody selling an exhaust? This is has been a budget build and I don't think I would pay $400-$500 for a new exhaust.

20180411_103626.jpg

Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm quote
Just rode 110 freeway miles...what a difference the Givi Windscreen compare to the stock. I really liked the wind buffering on highways but when I got in the freeway it felt like a whole new bike. So much more comfortable and felt the bike was at ease even at speeds over 90mph. Just fell in love with the bike over again. Looking to do more long distance rides.

20180411_163649.jpg

Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Fri May 04, 2018 5:58 pm quote
UPDATE:

Took the ryb Chinese offbrand shocks--it lowered the bike to where I can flatfoot it but they were really too bumpy and uncomfortable in street and freeway.

Just bought Lowering Bracket from Cubsking99--cant wait to put it on and have the comfort of stock suspension and the ability to flatfoot. Thanks again Mark.
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed May 09, 2018 7:41 am quote
@CubsKing99: Received the lowering bracket and already bought M8 70mm bolts and nuts...looking forward to installing Saturday. Thanks again Mark!
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:50 am quote
Officially DONE with any upgrades. I've hit all my wish lists and built this MP3 on a budget.Thanks to this forum and everyone that helped in making this possible. DYI and a lot of elbow grease makes this the best budget build so far. I bought it with only 1802 original miles and now it has 2557. I dont ride much but when i do it puts a smile from ear to ear.The way it sits now:

* Givi windscreen
* Givi E470 Top Case
* Dr Pulley sliders
* Fuzzy Washer
* Clutch Springs
* Wolo Bad Boy air horn
* LED turn signals
* LED headlight bulbs
* Bar end mirror
* Airbox Mod
* HiFlo Air filter
* Free Flow Drop in Muffler
* Charcoal can removal
* Replaced broken leg shield
* All fluids and oil drained and refilled earlier than scheduled
* cell phone holder
* Trunk light disconnect
* Lowering Bracket

20180626_093816.jpg

20180626_094748.jpg

20180612_194746.jpg

Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:05 pm quote
Sorry to say but I've sold my MP3 500. Missing her already. On to a new bike...wish me luck!
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:05 am quote
Luck!
Hooked
MP3 500 LT " Matilda"
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 am quote
Luck!
Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio MP3 400
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 am quote
After several months from selling my MP3 500...I came upon a deal I could not resist. An 08 MP3 400 with low miles for a little over $1k. Just bought it several weeks ago. Here's my new scoot.

20190209_103351.jpg

2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.3159s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0829s) ][ Debug on ]