BV 350 new engine problem
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 pm quote
I'm sure some of y'all saw my post from around Christmas time about an issue with my scooter not starting. That apparently turned out to be a valve clearance issue and they remapped the ECU while they were at it. So it now starts and idles fine. And it runs fine 99.9% of the time. But here's the weird thing it started doing to me last week.

I will be riding and there will be a momentary loss of power. It's something that has happened to me before though (probably about a year ago) and it ended up being a cable loose on the battery and after tightening it up, the problem went away. This felt very similar and since I have recently replaced the battery I assumed this would be the cause, but when I open the battery compartment and check, both cables are still on very snug. I'm worried about this happening when I'm pulling out into traffic or just turning in general because there is a huge engine braking force applied, even if it's just a split second.

This has happened probably 4 or 5 times now in the past 1 - 2 weeks since it started, and it's been while I was riding at speed or accelerating. On two separate occasions, it completely died while idling at a stoplight. There was no sputtering or abnormal noises, it just suddenly cut out with no warning. It immediately started right back up and had no further problems.

Any thoughts?
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 pm quote
Spark plug cap.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 pm quote
how old is the battery?
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:58 pm quote
The battery has been in the scooter for about 3 months. Not sure of it's actual age.

The spark plug cap was just replaced. I know it's a common issue, but it's literally brand new. The dealer broke the cap while they were testing to figure out the scooter needed a valve adjustment. Then again, it was replaced with an OEM cap so I suppose it could be having issues already.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(44,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(29,000)
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 pm quote
My 3 cap failures had different symptoms. You might want to switch to the cap/plug I did. Also try taking off the right footrest plastic and check the frame ground.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm quote
Check the ground wire at the chassis or engine. It could have loosened there.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:55 pm quote
breaknwind wrote:
My 3 cap failures had different symptoms. You might want to switch to the cap/plug I did. Also try taking off the right footrest plastic and check the frame ground.
I forgot you mentioned getting a different cap. Got a link to it?

Is the ground wire easy to find? I assume it will be fairly obvious as a wire that connects to nothing but the frame. I'll try to remember to check that.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:12 pm quote
I agree with those who say the plug cap.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 am quote
I have new NGK caps, but I have almost no free time for like the next month. The problem seems to have gotten a little worse over the past couple of days, so I want to replace the cap myself. I've seen breaknwind replace it before, so I have a general idea of what needs to be done. It seems pretty easy.

Can someone describe to me in fairly general terms the steps involved? I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge, so I have questions like do you pull the cap off the spark plug or twist it? Once I get it off the spark plug, how do I remove the cap? Does it just pull off? Any common problems that come up when doing this?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed May 02, 2018 6:28 pm quote
Get a Malossi cap. It won't come off, even if you want it to.
Hooked
2016 GTS 300
Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 pm quote
Hi, if the spark plug cap doesn't fix it, it could be a few drops of water or other contamination in the fuel from your last fill-up. If that is the case, the problem should disappear as the water goes through the engine drop by drop. I have had that issue occasionally with my Guzzi for years, though not with the Vespa yet. Good luck. - Jim.
Hooked
2018 GTS 300. Montebianco
Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am quote
Thoughts, since you asked. Possibly some water in the fuel tank, that occasionally gets picked up. Some additive to the fuel, or draining a bit from the tank by some fuel hose or other could clear that up.

One other possibility is an intermittent short in the kill switch. The only issue I had on my GTS was the kill switch cutting the electrical power.

Does 'momentary' mean a short, sharp jerk, or is it a stutter that goes on for a few seconds? Is it a complete cut out, or more of a decline in power?

Sudden, sharp cut-outs make me think electrical. A run-down/ decline in power might be fuel related.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Sat May 12, 2018 6:05 pm quote
Fencing Fan wrote:
Thoughts, since you asked. Possibly some water in the fuel tank, that occasionally gets picked up. Some additive to the fuel, or draining a bit from the tank by some fuel hose or other could clear that up.

One other possibility is an intermittent short in the kill switch. The only issue I had on my GTS was the kill switch cutting the electrical power.

Does 'momentary' mean a short, sharp jerk, or is it a stutter that goes on for a few seconds? Is it a complete cut out, or more of a decline in power?

Sudden, sharp cut-outs make me think electrical. A run-down/ decline in power might be fuel related.
I don't think it's water in the tank because it's persisted through a few fill ups now. I also don't think it's the kill switch because it never fully dies. If it were the kill switch I'd expect the engine to completely cut out.

momentary means very short. In this case, it started off being like 1/4 of a second. It felt very similar, but rougher, than if I suddenly completely let off the throttle and then went back to it. It was a little jerky. Here the last week it's gotten to where it lasts for a second, maybe even two. It's a momentary decline in power; the throttle doesn't respond at all while this is happening. However, the engine doesn't die. Though I have had it stall out and die when at a stop.

That all said, I replaced the spark plug and cap today. Since this issue was intermittent, I won't know immediately, but I should probably know by the end of next week if this resolved the issue or not.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 am quote
So replacing the spark plug and cap made the issue go away for a while. Between my last post on this thread and now, I've had the dealer replace the rear axle bearing. Upon getting the scooter back, the exhaust was really loud, so I took it back and they replaced the gasket on the exhaust.

I picked up the scooter from the dealer last Monday, 8/27 and drove it home without issues. Tuesday and Wednesday it drove mostly fine. However on Thursday I started having problems again. I don't know if it's just a coincidence that I started having problems just a few days after picking it up from the dealer or not.

Thursday morning on the way to work, it started doing again what it had been doing at the beginning of the year. I'll be driving, and all of a sudden the throttle stops responding. The engine is still running. Either one of two things will happen; 1) After a moment (1/2 second to a couple of seconds) the throttle just magically started responding again, or 2) The throttle never started responding again and my scooter costs to a stop, engine still running, but as soon as the scooter comes to a complete stop the engine dies. On my way home from work Thursday, it was happening so frequently that I wasn't even able to drive home. I made it about 1/4 of the way and had to call Geico and use my roadside assistance to have it towed home. I'm currently waiting for the dealer to come pick it up because now I can't even get it to start. The engine turns over, it just won't start.

This is extremely frustrating I feel like my scooter has become unreliable and unsafe to drive. Last time I was having this issue it took the dealer 3 weeks to figure out it needed a valve adjustment. That fixed the starting issue, but I started having this stalling issue shortly after. Even replacing the spark plug and cap didn't completely resolve it either; it just made the problem only happen maybe once a week instead of several times per ride. But now it's back to happening very frequently.

I've got right at 20,000 miles on it. I'm seriously considering selling it to the dealer (if they will take it) and buying a Honda (Either a Forza or maybe even a motorcycle with a DCT). I don't necessarily think Honda is necessarily better or more reliable (maybe they are, I dunno), but anytime I have an issue with my scooter that I need to get the dealer involved it takes forever. Not only do they have to special order parts and wait for days just for the parts to come in, they are extremely overbooked because they focus on selling 50cc scooters and maintenance packages to college students. I've even been flat out told before "well, we won't be able to even look at your scooter for several weeks because we are selling so many scooters all our mechanics are working on getting those ready, plus you'll have 20 - 30 scooters in front of yours in the queue." It took them about a month to do the valve adjustment last December for example.

The biggest issue is I just don't feel safe driving my scooter anymore because when the throttle stops responding, it engine brakes hard. I nearly got ran over trying to get across a 3 lane road and into the bike lane safely. I also hate that I can't turn on the left and right blinkers at the same time to act as hazard lights.
Addicted
BV 350
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 am quote
Possibly
Possibly a bad coil/ignition. Be interesting to see if it has spark. Sometimes when coils go bad they get internal shorts, will intermittantly fail for short periods of time, then get worse with age before they fail entirely. Did you change the whole HT lead, or just the cap? Sometimes the HT lead will develop cracks and short to ground. But you usually notice that more in damp weather.

If it continued to have short interrruptions, I might have guessed a dirty fuel injector. A bit of injector cleaner in a tankful would likely correct that. Possibly a bad fuel pump.

Locally the nearest Piaggio dealer is a couple hundred miles away. I must say that my Honda scooter has better build quality than my Piaggio and there are still a few local dealers. I dread the day I'll need to toss my BV in the pickup and head down the road.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 am quote
Re: Possibly
Jimding wrote:
Did you change the whole HT lead, or just the cap? Sometimes the HT lead will develop cracks and short to ground. But you usually notice that more in damp weather.
Just the cap. Also, I live in Florida and it's been raining pretty much daily for months, so it's definitely been pretty wet. I think I've been fortunate enough to not actually have to drive through the rain for a while, but a lot of times the roads are still wet on my way home from work.
Addicted
BV 350
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:30 am quote
Outside chance
If you've been riding with water a lot, might also check to make sure that all the ground connections are clean and tight. Doesn't take much resistance in a connection to upset electronics. Probably worth going through all the plugs, disconnecting, checking for corrosion, maybe spraying with electronic contact cleaner.

Kindly pass along the solution, when it is found. There's almost always something new.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:09 am quote
I love my BV350. However, if I'd gone through what you've been through, I'd be hearing a Yamaha XMAX calling my name! Sorry to hear about this chronic issue you're having with your BV...
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:52 am quote
Update: They have had my scooter for exactly 1 month. This is the main reason I might consider selling it and switching to another brand. At least I would get more prompt service. Thankfully, riding the bus to and from work hasn't been all that bad.

Here's what they had to say about the stalling problem I'm having. They were not able to reliably reproduce it. I had already replaced the spark plug and cap, so they did not replace it again, but they said they cleaned it out.

When they first got it, PADS showed a generic "scooter stalled" code. They cleared it, but after driving a few miles every day for a few weeks they only had it stall once.

They want me to come pick the scooter back up and are only going to charge me a minor troubleshooting fee. They recommend that if the stalling persists to replace the entire coil.

So I'm curious what y'all think about that diagnosis. If the coil has be replaced, how big of a deal is that?
Addicted

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:14 am quote
Coil is less than 60 bucks. Replace it is my advice.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(44,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(29,000)
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:37 am quote
A full service shop can't test a coil

Changing a coil is ridiculously easy. But now you're throwing parts/money at it. You'd think that the computer age would solve this.

Unfortunately I can't help you until the 2nd weekend of Nov. I changed my coil and it didn't help my hard start. so I have an extra coil. I'd be leaning toward a new ECU but I'd hate to see you throw $350 at it and it not work. The reason I think ECU is because when I cleaned my ECU it created a problem. I don't know what the shop did to your ECU when they changed the intake sleeve on your bike They may have disturbed something similar to what happened to my ECU.
If you're willing to take the risk on the ECU I'll put it in for you.
Here's the link for the cheapest ECU I could find.
https://www.scooterwest.com/miu-g3-ecu-bv350-throttle-body-cm0852095.html
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 am quote
So I picked up the scooter Wednesday and drove it home (probably about 10 - 12 miles) with no problems at all. I didn't drive it at all Thursday. Today on my way to work, it started stalling again where the throttle stopped responding. It happened probably 8 - 10 times. Most the time, after 1/4 second or so the throttle started responding again.

Two of those times however, the throttle never responded. I coasted to a stop in the bike lane. As soon as the scooter came to a stop, the engine died. The first time it happened, the scooter did start again, but I could tell it didn't want to. It turned over a bunch and nothing happened, so I turned the key to off and sat for a minute. When trying again, it did start, but only after turning over way more than it normally does.

The second time it stalled and then died I couldn't get it to start at all. Luckily I was only a few hundred yards away from the parking garage I park in at work so I pushed it the rest of the way there.

I just don't know what to do. It's become so unreliable, and in a way that's not safe at all. If it were to cut out when I was trying to turn across traffic or something it could end up really bad. I'm about to email the dealer back... but they just seem to be guessing about what the issue is.
Ossessionato
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 am quote
Try this. Follow the plug wire to the coil. Press down on the connector. If it snap's down, there's your problem. Hey, you never know. You could also pull the right footrest plastic and tighten the ground connection.
Hooked

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 am quote
This should not be that difficult to diagnose. Simply find out what is dropping - fuel pressure, injector pulse, or spark - once that is known, it becomes much easier to determine which way to go. Personally I would electrically monitor the primary side of of the coil, the injector, and fuel pressure while going for a ride.

If your shop canít figure out how to do that in a months time you need to find another shop.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 am quote
Bueller wrote:
If your shop canít figure out how to do that in a months time you need to find another shop.
I don't know how to do any of that and I guess the Vespa dealer doesn't either. There really isn't anywhere else in town though that specializes in scooter repairs. Well... there is, but they are all smaller and don't sell anything over 50cc. I don't think there is anywhere else that would work.

If I took it to a place that normally works on motorcycles, what are the chances of them being able to figure out what's going on? The problem is so intermittent, that I imagine it would be really hard to diagnose. The scoot has been sitting in my garage for months now; I just fired it up and rode it around the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago with no issues. Sometimes it will go days or even a week or two with no stalling and then out of nowhere start stalling so bad that I get stranded on the side of the road.

So even if they "fixed it", I would constantly be worrying that it's going to stall out on me. I just don't trust my BV350 anymore. Which really saddens me because it was a great bike to get me between home and work.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:01 am quote
Have you changed spark plugs and caps yourself, or has the dealer always done it? I ask because the new plug caps seemed to have helped before, at least temporarily. If you've changed caps and plugs before, you know how easy it is. You could carry spares, like many of us do, and be prepared to do a roadside repair if need be.

Not saying this is the perfect solution for you, just an alternate plan if you want to keep the BV.

Good luck!
Hooked
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:21 am quote
Could be the ignition switch. That happened to me on a GT200. Would cut out periodically without warning. Jiggling the key would fix it until the next time. Part is cheap, but if the BV350 is anything like the Vespa, the glove box has to come off to change it.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa-parts-catalog/vespa-keys-and-locks/ignition-switch-for-aprilia-piaggio?zenid=401fc699872cd6bd9cc6bebc800f962b
Addicted

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:43 am quote
waterboysh wrote:
Bueller wrote:
I don't know how to do any of that and I guess the Vespa dealer doesn't either. There really isn't anywhere else in town though that specializes in scooter repairs. Well... there is, but they are all smaller and don't sell anything over 50cc. I don't think there is anywhere else that would work.

If I took it to a place that normally works on motorcycles, what are the chances of them being able to figure out what's going on? The problem is so intermittent, that I imagine it would be really hard to diagnose. The scoot has been sitting in my garage for months now; I just fired it up and rode it around the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago with no issues. Sometimes it will go days or even a week or two with no stalling and then out of nowhere start stalling so bad that I get stranded on the side of the road.

So even if they "fixed it", I would constantly be worrying that it's going to stall out on me. I just don't trust my BV350 anymore. Which really saddens me because it was a great bike to get me between home and work.
. Go to solano cycles on s. Main st!
Hooked
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 am quote
what about the kill-switch on the handlebar. I'm not familiar with your model, I used to fix French mopeds and the kill-switch was sometimes the culprit.
The problem you describe does sound electrical. Water contamination would not show the same symptoms. The engine would show some hesitations before quitting. A faulty coil would kill the engine the way you describe, once hot it would stop working momentarily.Also mice chewing wiring somewhere along the harness, mostly they like the coating of the coil wiring going to the plug. I don't know why. But if this was the problem the wire would short all over the place when making turns or hitting the brakes ect. The engine would definitely sputter all over the place. Put the scooter on the stand and with the engine compartment open start it and carefully wearing heavy gloves see if you can reproduce the the problem by wiggling wiring and stuff. Stay away from moving blades or fans. I would hope your mechanics would have done this. Check your front and rear brake lights bulbs some wire could be out of place.
When it comes to electrical it is usually a stupid thing.
Keep at it don't give up.
This problem can happens to any brand. So don't give up on the Vespa. Breakdowns are the best way to learn how your machine works.
Bonne chance.
Molto Verboso
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:59 am quote
waterboysh wrote:
Bueller wrote:

This is crazy.
You need a reliable scooter. If you can afford to do so - you need to sell this Piaggio since no one can seem to make it a reliable ride.
We're not fixing it, your dealer is not fixing it.

Unload it - and buy a reliable scooter from a reliable dealer. Do some research. You don't need this kind of aggravation, especially when there are so many other reliable scooters available in Florida!

O.S.
Ossessionato
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 am quote
I'd bet money it's the ECU. Too bad ScooterWest no longer has the $350 one. Best price now is $550. My commuter BV idles so smooth now, I wish I bought the other one for Scoot Life because it has a hiccup during idle.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 pm quote
breaknwind wrote:
I'd bet money it's the ECU. Too bad ScooterWest no longer has the $350 one. Best price now is $550. My commuter BV idles so smooth now, I wish I bought the other one for Scoot Life because it has a hiccup during idle.
Ah, so you replaced yours? I knew you had been thinking about it. New Scooters 4 Less said it could be the ECU as part of their "if you want to throw money at it and see what sticks, here are your options list".
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Go to solano cycles on s. Main st!
I don't think we're supposed to trash talk dealers here, but I've never heard anything good about Solano Cycle's service department.
rwd11954 wrote:
Could be the ignition switch.
I don't know exactly how the kill switch works, but if it were the switch, wouldn't it cut the engine and then I'd have to restart it? Because it doesn't always completely die, and even when it does it's not immediate, it's after coasting to a stop.
Ossessionato
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:28 pm quote
If you want to throw the least amount of money at it, start with the kill/side stand switches.
Addicted

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:30 pm quote
I have had good luck with solano and new scooters for less. You obviously have not.
Hooked

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:19 pm quote
waterboysh wrote:
breaknwind wrote:
Ah, so you replaced yours? I knew you had been thinking about it. New Scooters 4 Less said it could be the ECU as part of their "if you want to throw money at it and see what sticks, here are your options list".
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Go to solano cycles on s. Main st!
I don't think we're supposed to trash talk dealers here, but I've never heard anything good about Solano Cycle's service department.
rwd11954 wrote:
Could be the ignition switch.
I don't know exactly how the kill switch works, but if it were the switch, wouldn't it cut the engine and then I'd have to restart it? Because it doesn't always completely die, and even when it does it's not immediate, it's after coasting to a stop.
Is your evap system still hooked up? I tolerated stalling and other sporadic issues for 5 years with my Ď13 before finally getting rid of the system. Itís a different scooter today. The only stalling I ever experience is once in a while on cold start it wonít always catch fully the first time and stall. Once itís running it stays that way.

Iím down in Osteen until the beginning of April. If you want some help on a weekend some time let me know.
Hooked

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:25 pm quote
To clarify - your symptoms donít sound like typical evap system issues, but Iíd be curious to know if your rollover valve is full of gasoline like mine was a couple of times.
Addicted

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 am quote
Good advice.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:13 am quote
Bueller wrote:
Is your evap system still hooked up?
No, I took that out a few years ago.
Hooked

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm quote
Itís always difficult to assess someoneís mechanical capability over the interwebs. I know I could figure it out if I had enough time with it in person. Might be as simple as swapping the ECU onto my bike and seeing if my bike starts malfunctioning, but before I did that I would check all grounds, ECU injector and coil connections, etc.
Addicted
BV 350
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm quote
Outside shot
I'm gonna guess your valves were too tight. Were the exhaust valves damaged or replaced? Too tight generally means overheated. Just slightly possible that you have a valve 'sticking', that is, hanging up in the valve guide and not closing entirely. Engine gets hot, valve sticks. Cools down for a bit, then it's fine.

They used to sell some stuff called "Marvel Mystery Oil" (not kiddding) that was touted as a 'top end' lubricant, that you added to the gas. Might be worth a try before you give up. Not a permanent solution, but cheap to try, and if it solves it, then maybe worth pulling the head and checking the valves and guides.

If it gets to the point that the failure is predictable, be interesting to leave off the plug access door, carry a spare plug. When it fails, hook up the cap to the spare plug, ground it, and crank it, to see if it has spark. You've got spark, then it is fuel or compression.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.2319s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0463s) ][ Debug on ]