BV 350 new engine problem
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 am quote
Jimding wrote:
I'm gonna guess your valves were too tight. Were the exhaust valves damaged or replaced? Too tight generally means overheated. Just slightly possible that you have a valve 'sticking', that is, hanging up in the valve guide and not closing entirely. Engine gets hot, valve sticks. Cools down for a bit, then it's fine.
I dunno if any of the valves were damaged or replaced when they adjusted the clearance. For what it's worth, this stalling issue can happen even before the engine gets very hot. I've left work and had it stall on me after only a thousand feet or so. Speed doesn't seem to affect anything either. When I leave work, I'm on campus and the speed limit is 20. It has stalled on me there and it's stalled on another road when I was going about 55.
Addicted

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 am quote
Checking on the gas tank recall and found another one for beverlys, get this, fir engine cutting off. !! Engine cutting off! Ns4l should be able to pull up this recall for you ir call piaggio or another dealer. Hope this helps. This recall was several years old and may refer to your scoot. You need your vin number on the recall site.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(44,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(29,000)
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:09 am quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Checking on the gas tank recall and found another one for beverlys, get this, fir engine cutting off. !! Engine cutting off! Ns4l should be able to pull up this recall for you ir call piaggio or another dealer. Hope this helps. This recall was several years old and may refer to your scoot. You need your vin number on the recall site.
This reminds me of an old trick. Putting a ping pong ball in the gas tank. when the ball gets caught in the pickup and starves the engine. Then it floats up and allow fuel flow.
I still think it's ether the kill switches or ECU. If you pull the switches and there's evidence of corrosion, bingo.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:13 am quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
You need your vin number on the recall site.
I checked and there are no recalls on my particular VIN.

I think I'm going to restart a conversation with New Scooters 4 Less and see if they can test some of the stuff mentioned here if they haven't already. Kill switches, any grounds, and I guess the coil. Should eliminate those before jumping to blaming the ECU I suppose.
Hooked
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 am quote
just to add I have had many seemly random faults like stuttering stalling hesitation random hiccups. all of which ended up being the kill switch. iv even had a brand new kill switch delivered only for it to already to be faulty. seem very poor quality for scooters in general. good luck
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm quote
I am having the same issue, stops running for no reason.
Once winter is over here is my plan.
Connect a Power monitor of some type to the power feed of the Coil Pack and connect a small engine tach that connects to the spark plug wire too. This will tell me if I am losing spark from the coil or power to the coil.
Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm quote
OK, two things. Given your mileage and "Florida" I'd suspect the fuel filter. What you described with hesitation started me thinking this, then when it wouldn't start at all, I REALLY felt this to be the problem.

Secondly, what does your computer show as to fault codes stored? The dealer in Daytona can hook up the laptop and download/reset your stored "faults" which should define the problem.

Like another said, this isn't a complex problem: either spark or fuel. Spray some starter fluid into the air intake (just a 1/2 seconds spray!) to see if the motor fires. If so, it's a fuel problem. Change the filter, drain the tank, refill with fresh gas, and go. If you're not getting spark (easy to test by any mechanic with a timing light), then suspect the plug, plug wire/cap, coil, ECU; in that order.

Bottom line, get a good dealer or, in our area, go to MOPEDS AND MORE on 441 just south of Ocala. They ONLY work on scooters and know their stuff.

Good luck!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 am quote
marklehnert wrote:
OK, two things. Given your mileage and "Florida" I'd suspect the fuel filter. What you described with hesitation started me thinking this, then when it wouldn't start at all, I REALLY felt this to be the problem.

Secondly, what does your computer show as to fault codes stored? The dealer in Daytona can hook up the laptop and download/reset your stored "faults" which should define the problem.

Like another said, this isn't a complex problem: either spark or fuel. Spray some starter fluid into the air intake (just a 1/2 seconds spray!) to see if the motor fires. If so, it's a fuel problem. Change the filter, drain the tank, refill with fresh gas, and go. If you're not getting spark (easy to test by any mechanic with a timing light), then suspect the plug, plug wire/cap, coil, ECU; in that order.

Bottom line, get a good dealer or, in our area, go to MOPEDS AND MORE on 441 just south of Ocala. They ONLY work on scooters and know their stuff.

Good luck!
I am having same issue and have great fuel flow when I pull the injector off.
It can die right way or run great for days.

I feel a distinct miss when going down the road to at times.

Last edited by WEB-Tech on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(44,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(29,000)
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:42 am quote
marklehnert wrote:
Spray some starter fluid into the air intake (just a 1/2 seconds spray!) to see if the motor fires. If so, it's a fuel problem.
When I went to Gainesville to help Waterboysh. They had done just that. I pulled the plug and it was fuel fouled. I changed the plug and we turned it over 12 times until it tried to start. After about 16 tries, it started and he rode it home.
Troubleshooting fuel and spark is easy. Computers, not so easy.
Addicted

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 am quote
So is it fixed?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
marklehnert wrote:
Spray some starter fluid into the air intake (just a 1/2 seconds spray!) to see if the motor fires. If so, it's a fuel problem.
When I went to Gainesville to help Waterboysh. They had done just that. I pulled the plug and it was fuel fouled. I changed the plug and we turned it over 12 times until it tried to start. After about 16 tries, it started and he rode it home.
Troubleshooting fuel and spark is easy. Computers, not so easy.
I thought I had pin pointed my issue to the ECU and replaced it, didn't fix the issue.
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 pm quote
This is the last time I'm going to say this. After replacing the ECU in the 2014 commuter BV, it has never ran better. It still has the hard start, but it runs better than the 2015 Scoot Life BV has ever run.
When I find another ECU at a great price, I'll put it in Scoot Life.
I'm betting that there was a bunch of crappy ECU's put on some early model BV's. There's no guarantee in life that everything works perfectly all the time.
Addicted
BV 350
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 am quote
I think
breaknwind wrote:
I'm betting that there was a bunch of crappy ECU's put on some early model BV's. There's no guarantee in life that everything works perfectly all the time.
It's those Italian electrons. I think they belong to the union, and sometimes go on strike.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
So is it fixed?
breaknwind wrote:
This is the last time I'm going to say this. After replacing the ECU in the 2014 commuter BV, it has never ran better.....
I'm betting that there was a bunch of crappy ECU's put on some early model BV's.
Somehow I seem to have lost the thread of this discussion. Is Waterboysh scooter fixed? What did it need? Just a spark plug, or an ECU?
Ossessionato
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:41 am quote
No it's not. My example was when his bike was stranded and I went there to help because starter fluid didn't work. His last post in this thread is where he's at.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 pm quote
marklehnert wrote:

The fault code is a generic "The engine stalled code". They cleared it and I brought it back later when it was still stalling and it was the same generic fault code.

Like Breaknwind mentioned, during one of the times when I couldn't get it to start at all, we tried starter fluid. It didn't help.

It's currently not fixed. It's at New Scooters 4 Less and currently "pending diagnostics". They've had it for 1 week and 5 days, but in my experience they are so back logged they won't even get a chance to start looking at it until around week 3.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:50 am quote
I am having the same problem as you.
This past weekend I got out and started playing with it again. When I bike dies or starting running bad I would wiggle the connector on the injector and the bike starts running good again.
Wiggling the wires does nothing, so it doesn't appear to be a wire issue but instead a connector issue.
Will keep you up dated.
Thought may may won;t to give it a try.
I even unplugged my connector and slid it on and off the injector a few times trying to get a better connection.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:46 am quote
Well it died on me again sitting at a light. Wiggling the connector on the injector got it running instantly, so this time I swapped out the injector with my spare. At this point I am not sure which injector is the original. I think the one I just put back in is the original.
Was out all day yesterday without a hiccup. (over 150 miles.) Fingers crossed it's fixed.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:53 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Well it died on me again sitting at a light. Wiggling the connector on the injector got it running instantly, so this time I swapped out the injector with my spare. At this point I am not sure which injector is the original. I think the one I just put back in is the original.
Was out all day yesterday without a hiccup. (over 150 miles.) Fingers crossed it's fixed.
Is it possible to replace the connector?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Is it possible to replace the connector?
I have a parts bike I can take a connector off and solder it in if necessary, but doing a really good wiggle test it doesn't seem to be the connector.
Will know by the end of the week, as it's never gone a week without dying since this started.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:15 pm quote
Have gone through 5 tanks of fuel with not one issue.
Declairing my problem fixed with an ECU and an injector.
Hooked

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm quote
Awesome! Thx for the update.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 am quote
waterboysh, have they tried the injecotr or ECU yet?

Wayne B
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
waterboysh, have they tried the injecotr or ECU yet?

Wayne B
We have not. I was actually just coming here to post an update. New Scooters 4 Less has had my scooter for about 2 months now. They agreed to work on it without running a ticking labor clock, and since I've been riding the bus it wasn't super imperative to have it fixed asap. I told them I'd rather make sure it's troubleshot accurately and that we come to a possible solution with a high degree of confidence as opposed to throwing stuff at it to see what sticks.

They've been pretty great working with me on it and have been providing me fairly regular updates. So here is the latest update from them, summarized by me.

They performed a valve adjustment for me early in 2018 because I was having problem with it dying at idle and being hard to start (but it was not stalling while driving). I actually referenced this on the first post on this thread. The stalling issues started a couple of months later.

I will preface this by saying I don't have much mechanical experience. I know what the valves do, with a kind of high level understanding of how they work, but I wouldn't be able to explain the specifics of how they work. It's my understanding, that when the valve adjustment was done, one of the shims on one of the valves did not match the other 3, so they replaced it with the correct size. After doing this, it stalled out on the very next ride. However, they have driven it several times since, in various conditions (highway speeds, stop-and-go traffic, and in the rain were specifically mentioned to me) and it has not stalled since. They feel fairly confident that replacing this shim has fixed the stalling problem, but they want to give it some more test drives to make sure. If all goes well, I will hopefully be picking it up within the coming days.
Ossessionato
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:37 pm quote
waterboysh wrote:
It's my understanding, that when the valve adjustment was done, one of the shims on one of the valves did not match the other 3, so they replaced it with the correct size.
I hope this is a communication error. Shim size is determined by backlash(gap), not by what the shim in the other valves are. I hope they're not making things worse.
I can swap out an ECU in less than 20 min. The shop labor cost will exceed the cost of an ECU quickly if they don't pull their heads out of their asses. If what the quote say's is accurate.
If the problem persist after you get the bike back. I'll try to swing buy your place and double check your valves.
If they check OK, then you need to find a good price on an ECU. I have an extra coil and injector.
Addicted

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 pm quote
Did you talk to a tech or someone else? I found some of their staff lacking in knowledge while others were okay.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
waterboysh wrote:
It's my understanding, that when the valve adjustment was done, one of the shims on one of the valves did not match the other 3, so they replaced it with the correct size.
I hope this is a communication error. Shim size is determined by backlash(gap), not by what the shim in the other valves are. I hope they're not making things worse.
They may have just done a bad job explaining it to me, but that is what their email says. That said... after they did the initial valve adjustment last year I noticed that my exhaust sounded different. It was louder than it had been before. I didn't care that it was louder, but I cared that it was different. I posted about it here, but it must have been as a comment on another thread because I can't find it. But it was suggested that the gasket on the exhaust needed replacing. I had NS4L do that, and it helped, but the exhaust was still louder than before the valve adjustment.

NS4L says the valve with the incorrect shim was the left exhaust valve. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up yesterday is that the exhaust is back to sounding normal; the way it did before the valve adjustment last year. They had taken it on 6 different test runs since readjusting with no stalling. It didn't stall on my way home or my way to work this morning. Obviously, this doesn't mean its fixed since the problem is intermittent, but I'm hopeful.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am quote
Good Luck. I know how frustrating it is to have the intermitent problem like this. Takes all your trust away from the scooter and makes you wonder where you will be when you have to push it to the side of the road next time.

Mine seems to be fixed still, fingers crossed.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 pm quote
Another update to this. I've hardly driven my scooter in the last 2 years since this issue started. I think I've added about 1200 miles total since I got my scooter back. I can take the bus for free, and while on the bus I can read a book or just do whatever, and there's less of a chance of being run over and killed. I've mostly been driving my scooter to work the 2 times a week that I go to the gym afterwards since there isn't a direct bus route back home from the gym.

Anyhoo, around the beginning of March, so about 1.5 months ago, I was driving my scooter somewhere. I had started having issues with it dying at idle again for a couple of weeks, but it always immediately started back up. I was driving somewhere I wasn't familiar with and missed my turn, so I pulled into the next parking lot I saw, which was for a church. As soon as I slowed down enough to pull a U-turn, the engine died and nothing I did would get it to start again.

I decided I'd let it cool off and try again, so I parked it and walked to where I was originally heading. About 1.5 hours later I came back and it was still doing the same thing. The engine was turning over but it wouldn't start. So I eventually called my FIL to come pick me up. Called NS4L to pick it up the next day. Well, very soon after that was when businesses started shutting down, so it took a while for them to get to it.

I'm going to call them on Monday, but the email I got said the fuel injector is faulty and needs replacing. Considering the problems I've had in the past, what information should I find out when I call them on Monday? I don't want to replace the fuel injector if it's not really going to fix the issue.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am quote
waterboysh wrote:
Another update to this. I've hardly driven my scooter in the last 2 years since this issue started. I think I've added about 1200 miles total since I got my scooter back. I can take the bus for free, and while on the bus I can read a book or just do whatever, and there's less of a chance of being run over and killed. I've mostly been driving my scooter to work the 2 times a week that I go to the gym afterwards since there isn't a direct bus route back home from the gym.

Anyhoo, around the beginning of March, so about 1.5 months ago, I was driving my scooter somewhere. I had started having issues with it dying at idle again for a couple of weeks, but it always immediately started back up. I was driving somewhere I wasn't familiar with and missed my turn, so I pulled into the next parking lot I saw, which was for a church. As soon as I slowed down enough to pull a U-turn, the engine died and nothing I did would get it to start again.

I decided I'd let it cool off and try again, so I parked it and walked to where I was originally heading. About 1.5 hours later I came back and it was still doing the same thing. The engine was turning over but it wouldn't start. So I eventually called my FIL to come pick me up. Called NS4L to pick it up the next day. Well, very soon after that was when businesses started shutting down, so it took a while for them to get to it.

I'm going to call them on Monday, but the email I got said the fuel injector is faulty and needs replacing. Considering the problems I've had in the past, what information should I find out when I call them on Monday? I don't want to replace the fuel injector if it's not really going to fix the issue.
Ask them to look at the fuel injector connector and make sure the pins aren't spread too far apart to get a good connection onto the injector.
Hooked

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:16 am quote
Good lord, can't believe the issue is still there. I agree, check the injector connector and make sure the terminals are making good, tight contact. Same with other connectors such as the fuel pump, sensors, etc.
Hooked
2013 BV 350
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 pm quote
Well, it's slow going because they don't have as many people working right now, but I asked them about the fuel injector connector and they said they would test it. The next day I got a call from them saying they had checked out the connector and were confident it was making a good connection, so I agreed to let them replace the fuel injector.

Maybe this will end all my problems. *fingers crossed*

For the foreseeable future, the only reason I'll be leaving my house anyway is my weekly grocery trip.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:58 pm quote
waterboysh wrote:
Well, it's slow going because they don't have as many people working right now, but I asked them about the fuel injector connector and they said they would test it. The next day I got a call from them saying they had checked out the connector and were confident it was making a good connection, so I agreed to let them replace the fuel injector.

Maybe this will end all my problems. *fingers crossed*

For the foreseeable future, the only reason I'll be leaving my house anyway is my weekly grocery trip.
Wish you had posted first. I have 2 extra sitting on the parts shelf. I could have loaned one to you.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:22 pm quote
https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/throttle-body-with-ecu-cm0852095

We've got a couple of throttle bodies with cdi. $390.
Enthusiast
BV250, BV500
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:52 pm quote
I hope you report back after you've been riding a bit with the new injector. I really want to know what finally fixes this.
Lurker
Beverly 350
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:36 am quote
Missfire
Hello,

My name is Boris and I am new here but the problem I have is not.. 🙂
Sorry, maybe I haven read but I have problem with BV 350, is lost some of its power and on idel it is ok, but od 100,110,120kph it has awfull misfire.. and cant go faster then 130kph, if you have some advice it will be good.

Thak you..
Enthusiast
Kymco Downtown 300i
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 pm quote
Read the whole thread and now will suggest the "Stall of Shame" or better, a sticking vacuum operated fuel taank vent valve. To verify, quickly open the gas cap next time it stalls and listen for air "whooshing" into the tank. Then just leave the gas cap loose if possible.

This problem has affected all motorcycles and scooters for at least the last ten years. Plus most dealer techs seem unaware of the possibility.

Had this problem on a Genuine Buddy 150, a Kymco Yager 200i and two Downtown 300i . Vented the gas cap in all and problem NEVER returned.

You have a quality machine that probably has a cheapo plastic vent valve that sticks intermittently....
Ossessionato
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 pm quote
CROSSBOLT wrote:
Read the whole thread and now will suggest the "Stall of Shame" or better, a sticking vacuum operated fuel taank vent valve. To verify, quickly open the gas cap next time it stalls and listen for air "whooshing" into the tank. Then just leave the gas cap loose if possible.
Since I removed the OP's evap and the gas tank is vented to the atmosphere the same as my BV's, I highly doubt this is his problem.
Lurker
Beverly 350
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:03 am quote
Thank you for the reply, but I cant opet fuel tank because most of the missfire happeneds on 100-120 kph, yesterday I have turned it on and it was on idel for 15 min and it didnt happened once... I see that the cable for ignition coil is ngk and not the original, so i think it had this problem before..
Lurker
Beverly 350
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:08 am quote
Is it worth to try to replace spark plug and spark plug cable first?
I have remove it and I see the the spark plug is oval shape inside, not round..
And the spark plug cable is ngk, so maybe it is the problem.. I saw that some of people here had that problem..
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.4962s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1107s) ][ Debug on ]