Yet Another Belt Thread
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:19 pm quote
There seems to be a lot of unnecessary confusion surrounding belt sizing. I know there's a wonderful resource right here on the Wiki but I'm still struggling. After hours of trying to hash this out on my own, I figured I'd present it for discussion in an effort to capitalize on MV's collective knowledge:

I'm looking for a part number for the drive belt on my 2013-14 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V (USA). I'm the second owner but I know that the prior owner never opened the belt cover so the dealer must have been responsible for putting a powerlink belt on it (789 X 22.2).

The 2010 manual calls for an 841213 (Mitsuboshi) V-Belt, which I believe is an 814 X 22.5 (shout out to the Fabio Dougie and whoever else helped compile the
list on the MV Wiki).

I decided to service the CVT at 5,000 miles just to stay ahead of things so I ended up purchasing an Aprilia 8580200. Aprilia marked this number as discontinued but claimed that it was superseded by OEM# 841213 so it should be 814 X 22.5, right?

After installation I could hear some belt slap but decided to break the belt in and see if the slap dissipated. After 400 miles (about a week and a half of commuting) with only minimal reduction of belt slap I decided to inspect further.

When I opened it back up I realized that the AP8580200 was indeed rubbing against the belt cover and oil pan slightly. I decided to go ahead and remove the belt and put the old Powerlink back on before the AP8580200 could cause any real damage to the seals. Rather than adding a 'Fuzzy Washer' or something else of the sort to make it work, I'd like to know what belt the engineers designed this CVT to operate with.

The trouble is that I can't seem to find a consistent answer for how long the stock Piaggio belt should be. I purchased a 2010 workstation manual from AF1 but the manual doesn't seem to map perfectly onto my 2013 machine. There were some subtle changes between 2010 and 2013, like, for example, increased the wheel size from 10" to 12" so I'm wondering if there might have been other subtle changes as well.

I've exhausted all of my resources on this and the longer I look online the more convoluted it becomes. If you can help, please throw me a lifeline before I end up just going the trial and error route. After reading several forums about this I've realized that most of the confusion I'm experiencing is the result of misinformation spread by uninformed folks. With all due respect to everyone on MV and my fellow scooterists elsewhere, please only comment if you have first-hand experience with this issue. I think it's great if you 'heard' that this or that belt fits, but please don't add to the confusion by offering that information as fact unless you have tried it yourself.


Engine Prefix: M703M
Chassis Prefix: ZAPM707E
Dealer Installed: Powerlink 789 X 22.2
Part # According to the Workstation Manual: 841213 (Mitsuboshi) V-Belt

Dimensions for 841213 According to the MV Wiki:

Length" 814
Width: 22.5
Depth: 10.2
Pitch: 30 degrees


Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Image-1-1.jpg



Last edited by ZenAndScooterMaintenance on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Addicted
2015 BV350 2007 GTS(sold) 2003 BV200
Joined: 04 Feb 2012
Posts: 762
Location: nyc
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:47 pm quote
Seems its very secretive, the best you can do is see what in Malossi fits and see if you can find the sizes. Otherwise order the OEM belt and measure it. Its Piaggio get the Piaggio belt.


I used an 835 in my gts

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=172661497010&category=182231&pm=1&ds=0&t=1508154100000&ver=0


John
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:18 pm quote
Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just finished sending emails to AF1, ScooterWest, and to Piaggio directly. Ed at AF1 was quick to respond and told me that he'd get back to me with what he finds out.

Hopefully I'll have some answers soon.

The Piaggio belt in the picture is the Aprilia 832023. It was the one that was rubbing on the case at 814 mm long. The Malossi belt at the end of your link is an 830 so I can only imagine that it would be far too big for my setup.

I appreciate the suggestion though and I'll pursue it if I have to end up going the old trial-and-error route.

Best,
Keith
Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 8360
Location: New Hampshire
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:27 pm quote
Is it possible the previous owner put on a different variator?
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(11,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 2579
Location: Orange Park Florida
Addicted
2015 BV350 2007 GTS(sold) 2003 BV200
Joined: 04 Feb 2012
Posts: 762
Location: nyc
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:31 pm quote
Its more then the length, the width plays a part also. Its kind of a combination.

John
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(11,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 2579
Location: Orange Park Florida
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:36 pm quote
tvnacman wrote:
Its more then the length, the width plays a part also. Its kind of a combination.

John
Yes but I prefer to go with what works. You can find the 789 X 22.2 if you Google it.
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 pm quote
NightWing wrote:
Is it possible the previous owner put on a different variator?
Negative, I know the previous owner well and he didn't do any maintenance on it beyond the break-in service. The bike only had 2,300 miles on it when I got it.
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:17 pm quote
breaknwind wrote:
Try this. You could call them and ask if they can give you the dimension.
I already checked it out. The Malossi 6116117 has the same dimensions as the 841213 (814x22.5x10.5mm 30). Don't get me wrong, it works, but it rubs against the case. I just can't figure out why the dealer would slap a shorter than spec Powerlink on it rather than a stock Piaggio belt.

Cheers
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:19 pm quote
breaknwind wrote:
Yes but I prefer to go with what works. You can find the 789 X 22.2 if you Google it.
I can find a belt that matches the Powerlink that's on it right now but that wouldn't answer any of my underlying questions.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6583
Location: NWAOK
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 pm quote
Wow, that's a lot of angst from a stock 125 scooter.

The odds are that there's not a secret belt that is a different length that nobody wants to talk about and Piaggio probably didn't make one Typhoon with a different length crankcase that you somehow got hold of.
You could always stick the correct belt (which you have) in it, with the correct diameter roller weights, ride it for 6K miles and see what happens. I'll bet your oil pan gasket and whatever else you think the belt was slapping against will be okay. 832023 isn't an Aprilia belt. It's an old Piaggio belt that you still pull out of the occasional ET4. But to allay your fears, no that won't make it stretch out and hit your case. Those marks down the middle are caused by the Bendix, not the case.
If the Gates belt doesn't say France or USA on it, or if France or USA are misspelled, the odds are that it was put in it at the factory. Someone at the factory figured out a way to make a few bucks by switching out belts. It's a form of Quality Fade. Just be happy he doesn't have a friend who makes brake pads out of sawdust. It could also be that Piaggio ran out of belts and bought some from one of the other companies building bikes at the same factory.
If you figure out what that belt fits, you can probably figure out who's running the factory where your bike was made. I think SYM uses that belt on some of their models.
Ossessionato
09 190s taormina
Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 2080
Location: Googleville
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:26 pm quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
I just can't figure out why the dealer would slap a shorter than spec Powerlink on it rather than a stock Piaggio belt.
It is a stock Piaggio belt, p/n 879057 per your pic, Gates vendor. It and multiple other part numbers have been been superceded in Piaggio parts system by p/n 841213. Looks like from the specs you've found it's slightly shorter and narrower than current belt. Would make it essentially equivalent but would ride lower in the front pulley which sounds like your experience. From your pic your new belt is Piaggio p/n 832023 which should be exact spec as 841213. Will work fine, they do ride a little high on the front pulley at overrun with light case contact, but don't think anyone's ripped a gasket out yet on a 125/150. If this bothers you, adding 0.5 mm spacer or stiffer contra spring will fix it. Or just source the Gates belt if that was working for you.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 pm quote
Your 814213 is the stock Mitsuboshi (not misspelt) belt for the majority of Piaggio/Gilera etc 125 bikes.

My European Gates catalogue says Gates 9802-31802 cross-linked to 814213 and 8580247

My Dayco catalog says 8118K @ 22.5 x 814 same as Vespa 125 LX/GT/ET4

I did find something that said 879057 has been replaced by 814213 https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/879057

Searching for AP8580200 comes up with 8580247 (abolished) now 814213

Dayco also cross-links 8580247 to 8118K

Gates says 832023 is same as 814213. Dayco doesn't list 832023

Last edited by waspmike on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:47 pm quote
Oops
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6362
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:07 am quote
All three of my scooters have some rubbing on the case. One of them is ~0.3mm or so deep, even. I've never worried about it. As long as it isn't eating into the oil pan gasket anyway (which it isn't).
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of angst from a stock 125 scooter.
Apologies for being crotchety, I posted this after spending several hours sifting through information online. I appreciate your insight and the insight of everyone else who took the time to contribute.

I believe, like everyone else here, that we have a fundamental right to repair our own property so I get frustrated when I feel like manufacturers are withholding critical information. Nevertheless, I take your point. Initiating chill sequence. . .
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:59 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Your 814213 is the stock Mitsuboshi (not misspelt) belt for the majority of Piaggio/Gilera etc 125 bikes.

My European Gates catalogue says Gates 9802-31802 cross-linked to 814213 and 8580247

My Dayco catalog says 8118K @ 22.5 x 814 same as Vespa 125 LX/GT/ET4

I did find something that said 879057 has been replaced by 814213 https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/879057

Searching for AP8580200 comes up with 8580247 (abolished) now 814213

Dayco also cross-links 8580247 to 8118K

Gates says 832023 is same as 814213. Dayco doesn't list 832023
Thank you for the rundown on these. When I have some time I'll compile all of the information and put it in an infographic for the MV community.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6362
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 pm quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of angst from a stock 125 scooter.
Initiating chill sequence. . .
That would be very, um,... well, Zen of you.
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:32 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of angst from a stock 125 scooter.
Initiating chill sequence. . .
That would be very, um,... well, Zen of you.
I put the moron in oxymoron.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6362
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:39 pm quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of angst from a stock 125 scooter.
Initiating chill sequence. . .
That would be very, um,... well, Zen of you.
I put the moron in oxymoron.
I put the "what the hell" in "Hold my beer."
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6583
Location: NWAOK
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:45 pm quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
I posted this after spending several hours sifting through information online. ....I believe, like everyone else here, that we have a fundamental right to repair our own property so I get frustrated when I feel like manufacturers are withholding critical information.
The truth is out there.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and fixin' their stuff when it breaks.
Kind of a shame the last part got tossed in the re-write.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8718
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:53 am quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of angst from a stock 125 scooter.
Apologies for being crotchety, I posted this after spending several hours sifting through information online. I appreciate your insight and the insight of everyone else who took the time to contribute.

I believe, like everyone else here, that we have a fundamental right to repair our own property so I get frustrated when I feel like manufacturers are withholding critical information. Nevertheless, I take your point. Initiating chill sequence. . .
Manufactures build stuff, it is up to them what info they wish to give away and not sure how anyone can be upset a manufacturer chooses not to provide data for free. It's theirs, why should they provide it to you so you can buy someone else's replacement part?
Member
2014 Piaggio Typhoon 125 4T 2V
Joined: 07 Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Los Angeles
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:00 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Manufactures build stuff, it is up to them what info they wish to give away and not sure how anyone can be upset a manufacturer chooses not to provide data for free. It's theirs, why should they provide it to you so you can buy someone else's replacement part?
For free? I paid for that information when I purchased the machine. If the whole world worked like this you'd need to take your remote control to an authorized technician to have the batteries replaced. It just doesn't make sense. The belt is a consumable part and it was not listed in the manual that came with the vehicle.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6362
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:31 am quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Manufactures build stuff, it is up to them what info they wish to give away and not sure how anyone can be upset a manufacturer chooses not to provide data for free. It's theirs, why should they provide it to you so you can buy someone else's replacement part?
For free? I paid for that information when I purchased the machine. If the whole world worked like this you'd need to take your remote control to an authorized technician to have the batteries replaced. It just doesn't make sense. The belt is a consumable part and it was not listed in the manual that came with the vehicle.
Good luck with that.
Hey Microsoft, you need to send me the root code for Windows.
Hey Ford, you need to send me the detailed drawings for your crankshaft.
Hey Boeing....

You didn't pay for the information, you paid for the product.
Shoot, you don't even get decent maintenance information for many products you purchase; why else would Haynes be in business?
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(11,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 2579
Location: Orange Park Florida
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 pm quote
Piaggio had Jethro cipher the information for their service manuals.

untitled.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6962
Location: New Zealand
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:22 pm quote
ZenAndScooterMaintenance wrote:
There seems to be a lot of unnecessary confusion surrounding belt sizing.
This is a true statement.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8718
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm quote
Why not just go to your local Piaggio/Vespa dealer and order one?
There is more to a belt than size.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6583
Location: NWAOK
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Why not just go to your local Piaggio/Vespa dealer and order one?
There is more to a belt than size.
Please elaborate.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Why not just go to your local Piaggio/Vespa dealer and order one?
There is more to a belt than size.
Surely if you go to the dealer you will get what Piaggio recommends so eliminate what more there might be to a belt choice

On a standard low capacity scooter used for day-to-day travel, unless instructed otherwise by an aftermarket variator manufacturer, just buy the one the manual says?

Of course if one needs a new hobby...

There is no conspiracy except maybe obfuscation from on-line retailing.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6583
Location: NWAOK
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:30 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Why not just go to your local Piaggio/Vespa dealer and order one?
There is more to a belt than size.
Surely if you go to the dealer you will get what Piaggio recommends so eliminate what more there might be to a belt choice

On a standard low capacity scooter used for day-to-day travel, unless instructed otherwise by an aftermarket variator manufacturer, just buy the one the manual says?

Of course if one needs a new hobby...

There is no conspiracy except maybe obfuscation from on-line retailing.
the obfuscation comes more from people who don't actually have experience with the subject matter at hand, but wish to contribute, and they have found google and are good at searching and copying and pasting.

Any belt you can come up with that is designed to make the bike perform differently assumes you know what you are doing and have done a whole lot of other stuff to it. Want to disagree? Slap an over-range belt in your bike and see what it does. The belt is way down there on the list of things you do to a scooter to make it perform better. By the time you get to the belt, you're pretty much a scooter tuning genius and you know a bunch about roller weights, clutch and contra springs, variator ramp angles, torque drives, angled outer plates, lightened pulleys, and you understand why that belt will make a difference. I can think of less than ten people who can really explain to me how it all works together, and all of them are in Italy, Germany or the UK. Most of what you will read here is pop it on and see what happens because I read about it on the internet. I doujbt there are many people here who have changed out their roller weights six times in one day to find the perfect weight for their setup, then went back and did it again after they changed something else. That's not even close to what it takes to be able to really grasp the nuances of tuning a CVT transmission. You find the right roller, then you find the right contra spring, but that contra spring might work better with lighter or heavier rollers. How are you going to find out? The internet? No. You get out the tools and take your clutch apart a few times and your variator off six or eight times an afternoon. You've got limited time, so you learn just how hot these components get while trying to change them out as fast as you can. How does how you like to come out of corners affect your clutch setup and roller choice? Could you make adjustments that would work better for you and the way you ride? When you know the best roller, clutch springs and contra spring set up for your scooter and you as a rider, then you might want to see how much difference there is in variators, what a torque driver does, torsion controller, etc and then comes belt length.
If this seems like a lot of work, go to youtube and search for tune a cvt, and watch some guy on a video explain how dr pulley sliders work. You will know more than the people who race these things for a living.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 pm quote
Quote:
I can think of less than ten people who can really explain to me how it all works together, and all of them are in Italy, Germany or the UK.
Make that ten or eleven there is at least one guy in Spain!
Quote:
Most of what you will read here is pop it on and see what happens because I read about it on the internet.
I agree with that. Even if told they carry on regardless.
Quote:
You will know more than the people who race these things for a living.
I rely on the Spanish guy.
Quote:
I doubt there are many people here who have changed out their roller weights six times in one day to find the perfect weight for their setup, then went back and did it again after they changed something else.
Not my day job but I sell J Costa in Thailand and don't do any of the stuff you mentioned as it has already been done at the factory on their dyno.

Last edited by waspmike on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6583
Location: NWAOK
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Quote:
I can think of less than ten people who can really explain to me how it all works together, and all of them are in Italy, Germany or the UK.
Make that ten or eleven there is at least one guy in Spain!
Quote:
Most of what you will read here is pop it on and see what happens because I read about it on the internet.
I agree with that. Even if told they carry on regardless.
Quote:
You will know more than the people who race these things for a living.
I sell J Costa in Thailand and don't do any of the stuff you mentioned as it has already been done at the factory on their dyno.
And every bike and every rider is the same,so one size fits all? The variator, no matter who makes it, is about half of the equation, and if it worked the same for everyone, you would only be able to buy those J Costa rubber tampons in one weight and size. Less options but still some tuning to be done.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
And every bike and every rider is the same,so one size fits all?
No that's why they make different ones for different bikes and usually publish results for 70, 75 and 100kg riders.

Agreed their variators only come retail for stock scooters so yes if one changes something one has to make adjustments.

It has occurred to me that you might think my reference to on-line retailers had something to do with you which it does not. Just a comment in general about Vespa stuff offered for sale with little or no real technical details. I'm still trying to find the OEM gearing for a S50 4 Valve only because I am curious.

Have a good night.

Last edited by waspmike on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:43 pm quote
Oops again mouse acting up again.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8718
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 am quote
Motovista wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Why not just go to your local Piaggio/Vespa dealer and order one?
There is more to a belt than size.
Please elaborate.
MP3 400 and 500 are a good Example. The MP3 500 came with the same size belt as the 400 but it was just a beefer belt.
Piaggio didn't spec two different part number for no reason.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6583
Location: NWAOK
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Agreed their variators only come retail for stock scooters so yes if one changes something one has to make adjustments. ... I'm still trying to find the OEM gearing for a S50 4 Valve only because I am curious.
.
I have people ask me that quite a bit, or if not that, some variation of it. I ask if they have the bike and plan to change out the gears. When they say yes, I recommend they practice it at least once and count them when they've got it open, because I really have no idea, could care less, and the internet is often wrong. But if you count them, you will know the answer for sure.
Sometimes it's like if you sold shoes and someone ask you what the name was. Because you should know, right, you're in the business and that means you know everything about shoes. "Name of what"
"the name of the cow they made the shoes out of."
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm quote
In one of your posts I believe you alluded to people buying stuff for their scoots because someone on the internet reported that they had done it and...

There is a guy on a local Thai forum here who bought some anonymous variator for his Yamaha because he saw a video! And it will do 150 kph on the stand! No mention in the video that one needs twice the Hp the scooter develops to get to 150.

It is cheap and comes with a lot of bits... Go figure!
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3479
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:52 am quote
Just walked away
Molto Verboso
px 200, lxv 125
Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 1082
Location: Glasgow
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 am quote
Belts are a pain in the tits.

If any of you read my tale of woe you will know by the time I got to fitting my piaggio belt (from the dealer) I had about had it.

Any way my result is a belt that slaps off the casing something chronic at low revs and squeels when started off the burtton.
Refitted the old belt (cheepo one cant remember the make) much better.

Since the old belt was 5000 miles old, refitted the new one (for now).
I have just ordered up yet more varo nuts so can try another make of belt.

Since I am here anyone know what is causing the squeal? too loose, too new?

cheers

PS if fitting a new belt make sure you have at least one spare varo nut.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8718
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am quote
Motovista wrote:
waspmike wrote:
Agreed their variators only come retail for stock scooters so yes if one changes something one has to make adjustments. ... I'm still trying to find the OEM gearing for a S50 4 Valve only because I am curious.
.
I have people ask me that quite a bit, or if not that, some variation of it. I ask if they have the bike and plan to change out the gears. When they say yes, I recommend they practice it at least once and count them when they've got it open, because I really have no idea, could care less, and the internet is often wrong. But if you count them, you will know the answer for sure.
Sometimes it's like if you sold shoes and someone ask you what the name was. Because you should know, right, you're in the business and that means you know everything about shoes. "Name of what"
"the name of the cow they made the shoes out of."
That's easy, Bessy the cow
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1770s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0366s) ][ Debug on ]