mp3 250 back on the road after 2 years?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
2007 mp3 250ie
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:52 am quote
Haven't been around for a while. Got into a Burgman 400 2 summers ago. Loved it but won't be around much during the summer and not on the highway often, so don't need the 400. The 250 has been sitting in the garage for 2 seasons (nothing got out last year after some major surgery and wildfires, I didn't get anywhere). Now that I am retiring, I will be in the RV most of the decent riding weather, so I plan to use the 250 to get around town for shopping, rather than hop in the car for a 15 minute trip.

Decided to get the mp3 back out and want to know anything I should be looking for specifically after 2 years in storage besides the usual spring check-list. Battery was pulled out since my garage isn't heated, but wasn't on a charger). It was a bit puny anyway, so I might replace it. Coolant and service was done end of the summer before I put her away, gas treatment was put in the tank and she's been parked on the kick-stand. Tires were brand new 2 summers ago, and have almost 0 miles on them.

I plan on an oil change, gear oil and likely do the coolant again, just because it's been sitting so long. What else would you be suspicious of after a 2 year nap?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:23 pm quote
I'd not bother with the coolant, as that is a sealed system.
When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid, and the brake fluid in the tilt lock hydraulics? Those two I think I'd do before another coolant flush.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:39 pm quote
I would just siphon the 2 year old gas out and put in some fresh, inspect the air filter for mice. check and inspect tires. pump the brakes to ensure they are firm.
Install new battery and fire it up
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:07 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
I would just siphon the 2 year old gas out and put in some fresh, inspect the air filter for mice. check and inspect tires. pump the brakes to ensure they are firm.
Install new battery and fire it up
+1
Good point about the air filter.
Do that before you start it up....
2007 mp3 250ie
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:22 am quote
Brake & hydraulic fluids were done the same time as the tires, but again, that was 2 years ago and everything has sat.

But yes - the air filter! Good point. Though I doubt very much the mice have been in the garage, not when the heated crawl space is the warmest place in town I KNOW that they are THERE!

Thanks - I will siphon out the old gas. Even with the gas saver, it's not likely in top shape anymore (gas saver's really only supposed to do you the one season, yes?)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 am quote
Quaydvt wrote:
Brake & hydraulic fluids were done the same time as the tires, but again, that was 2 years ago and everything has sat.

But yes - the air filter! Good point. Though I doubt very much the mice have been in the garage, not when the heated crawl space is the warmest place in town I KNOW that they are THERE!

Thanks - I will siphon out the old gas. Even with the gas saver, it's not likely in top shape anymore (gas saver's really only supposed to do you the one season, yes?)
exactly on the gas. the storage is only good for a year at best with a fuel stabilizer.
2007 mp3 250ie
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:16 pm quote
Well never did get her back out on the road last fall. However today I got the old gas out (as much as I could - down to half way into the red). Put the new battery in, topped up a bit with some fresh gas and fired her up (air filter is clear - I knew the mice stayed in my crawl space!). Insurance tomorrow.

I've been on my little Yamaha Zuma/BWS 50 already in town getting her ready for packing on the back of the motorhome next week, but I sit on the mp3 and feel like I'm going to have to do some relearning for a few days.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2336s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0311s) ][ Debug on ]