Any MP3 owners going to get a 2018/19 Yamaha Niken Trike?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 5972
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 am quote
Motovista wrote:
The issue with trikes in the US is that some manufacturers want them to be classed as autos, like the imaginary Elio, so the driver doesn't have to wear a helmet, etc, and others want them to be considered a motorcycle, so they don't have to meet all the safety standards of a car. Two wheels is not a car and four wheels is not a motorcycle, but three wheels can go either way.
Unless it has seat belts, air bags and all kinds of other safety stuff that cars have, it can't be registered as a car in the US.
Only vehicle that has received an air bag waiver is the Smart Car.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 1825
Location: Brentwood, TN
Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Motovista wrote:
The issue with trikes in the US is that some manufacturers want them to be classed as autos, like the imaginary Elio, so the driver doesn't have to wear a helmet, etc, and others want them to be considered a motorcycle, so they don't have to meet all the safety standards of a car. Two wheels is not a car and four wheels is not a motorcycle, but three wheels can go either way.
Unless it has seat belts, air bags and all kinds of other safety stuff that cars have, it can't be registered as a car in the US.
Only vehicle that has received an air bag waiver is the Smart Car.
Many states allow the Polaris 3-wheeler to be registered as a car. It doesn’t have airbags and “all kinds of safety stuff”.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 5972
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue May 08, 2018 4:14 am quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Motovista wrote:
The issue with trikes in the US is that some manufacturers want them to be classed as autos, like the imaginary Elio, so the driver doesn't have to wear a helmet, etc, and others want them to be considered a motorcycle, so they don't have to meet all the safety standards of a car. Two wheels is not a car and four wheels is not a motorcycle, but three wheels can go either way.
Unless it has seat belts, air bags and all kinds of other safety stuff that cars have, it can't be registered as a car in the US.
Only vehicle that has received an air bag waiver is the Smart Car.
Many states allow the Polaris 3-wheeler to be registered as a car. It doesn’t have airbags and “all kinds of safety stuff”.
You sure they aren't registered as Autocycles??? Can't find a state that Reg them as cars. Now you can drive them on a car license in many states.
Just because you may have seen them with "car platers" doesn't mean they were reg as cars.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/transportation-review-autocycles.aspx

Only one state reg them as "passanger vehicle" and Fed considers them motorcycles.

"According to Polaris’ website, Slingshots are categorized as “autocycles” in 23 states—Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Virginia. In 23 states Slingshots are still considered “motorcycles,” and the remaining four states have unique designations for Slingshots, such as “mototricycle” in Missouri, “trimobile” in Nevada, “unconventional vehicle” in North Dakota or “passenger vehicle” in South Carolina."
Member
Piaggio mp3 500 LT
Joined: 27 May 2017
Posts: 8
Location: UK
Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 am quote
I'm gonna wait for the reviews.
And if they're good I'm definitely gonna get one!

Problem is I don't have a motorcycle licence. I can drive my mp3 on my car licence (UK).
I have a feeling you'll end up needing a bike licence for this so that will hamper my chances of getting one.
Which is a shame cos I want it quite badly....
Hooked
2008 MP3 400lt - Totaled
Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 359
Location: Germany
Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 pm quote
I just got pulled over last week on my MP3 and jake was being quite a douche. Measured the width between the front tires, went to his car to make a call, and told me I might have problems outside of the fact that I got caught lane splitting in stopped traffic on the Autobahn. Said I might be riding without a motorcycle licenses. After telling him it was an LT, he came back, measured again and said I was good. Still charged me 100 Euro and a point on my license. Niken would be nice, but if the front width isn't 46.5cm or further apart, motorcycle license will be required.
Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco, CA
Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm quote
Price
Yamaha has revealed the price of its intriguing Niken three-wheeler. But, so far, only in Hong Kong.

Over there, the Niken will set you back HK$168,800, according to Yamaha MLT Hong Kong. That sounds like a lot. And it is, even when we convert it to a more familiar currency. The price equates to £15,400 in UK pounds, €17,600 Euros or $21,500 US Dollars. Ouch.

But don’t shelve those plans to buy a Niken just yet. Prices in Hong Kong are generally significantly higher than elsewhere, particularly when it comes to imported Japanese bikes. To get an idea how high, let’s see what some more familiar machines cost over there.

Yamaha’s R1 is listed at HK$198,000 in Hong Kong. That’s £18,000, €20,600 or $25,200.

Since the R1 sells for £16,199 in the UK, €18,995 in Germany, the Hong Kong price is around 10% higher than in Europe. Working backwards, that suggests we can look forward to prices of around £14,000 in the UK or €16,000 in mainland Europe.

Is that expensive, or is it cheap? With no similar machine on the market it’s impossible to gauge. It’s certainly a lot more than the two-wheeled equivalent, the MT-09. But with the Niken you’re getting 50% more wheels and a lot more technology.

The actual European prices of the Niken are expected to be announced in just a few weeks. The firm will start taking orders for the bike from 17 May via an online ordering system.
I will have a hard time to justify $20k. Buy a 2015 Sports car or about (7) Piaggio Mp3 500's lol
Addicted
LXS 150
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 840
Location: The OTHER South Bay, CA
Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Unless it has seat belts, air bags and all kinds of other safety stuff that cars have, it can't be registered as a car in the US.
Only vehicle that has received an air bag waiver is the Smart Car.
Are you talking about the original model, which was only a grey-market import to the US?
The '09 I had, had front and side airbags; later models had more.

I really miss that thing sometimes. And am still bitter that Mercedes yanked the last-generation ones from the US market (still sell the Electric Drive ones, though).

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 1825
Location: Brentwood, TN
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 am quote
Currently listed on middle TN dealer website as “pre-order only” for $15,999.
Hooked
MP3 500
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 308
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm quote
I don't know about anyone else, but if this could lock the front suspension, I'd consider it. I'm waiting on that new Honda Neowing, and hope it locks the front suspension.
Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm quote
X-Nemesis wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but if this could lock the front suspension, I'd consider it. I'm waiting on that new Honda Neowing, and hope it locks the front suspension.
Same, I need the locking mech for my bad foot. Also, if anyone else has a foot disability and cant shift gears check out this device. http://www.translogicsystems.com/

Also note, Yamaha announced that they will be releasing additional versions with (3) wheels. So possibly one of them will have a locking mech.

unnamed.jpg

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco, CA
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am quote
X-Nemesis wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but if this could lock the front suspension, I'd consider it. I'm waiting on that new Honda Neowing, and hope it locks the front suspension.
The Honda Neowing looks pretty cool. Very techno/sci-fi looking. Anyone know how wide the bike is? Looks like they have been working on the bike for 4 years now, do we even know if it will ever be released?

2015%2F10%2Fhonda-neowing.jpg

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: North Jersey
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm quote
IDK if they are even working on it. Everywhere I see it mentioned, it's listed as a concept and those same pictures are from 2015 and were released again in 2017.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400lt - Totaled
Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 359
Location: Germany
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:33 pm quote
That Neowing looks pretty hot.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 68
Location: Chandler, AZ
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:19 am quote
Price is high
I just got a reservation offer from Yamaha. $15,999 + $425 in destination charges. That's roughly $6000 dollars more than a new MP3 and Yamaha's own two wheeled motorcycle the Niken is based on. I was very interested until Yamaha finally revealed the price. Yamaha also finally allowed test rides on it in Europe. The reviews were generally positive, but ironically several writers complained the rear tire doesn't have enough grip. It also does not have a front end steering lock.
I'm still interested, but now I plan to wait until used ones/demonstrators start being sold. Of course if they turn out to be a total flop and are only sold for a couple of years, they'll all end up with collectors like Jay Leno.
Member
Piaggio MP3 500 2019
Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Location: Nashville, USA
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 am quote
No way. This thing looks ugly compared to Piaggio MP3 2019. And I bet you anything that the seat of the Piaggio MP3 is much more comfortable.
Hooked
ET4
Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Posts: 254
Location: Southern California
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 am quote
I don't think it's ugly at all. Besides, if you're on a MP3 you're only going to see the rear of the Niken anyways, lol
Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco, CA
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 am quote
I think the Nikin looks incredible compared to the Piaggio Mp3 2019 but then again the Gilera Fuoco 500 i.e. looks better than the Piaggio 2019.
Hooked
MP3 500
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 308
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 pm quote
Ewok wrote:
I think the Nikin looks incredible compared to the Piaggio Mp3 2019 but then again the Gilera Fuoco 500 i.e. looks better than the Piaggio 2019.
Agreed, yes and yes to both your points.
Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe
Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 67
Location: Sweden
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:58 pm quote
new200guy wrote:
I just got pulled over last week on my MP3 and jake was being quite a douche. Measured the width between the front tires, went to his car to make a call, and told me I might have problems outside of the fact that I got caught lane splitting in stopped traffic on the Autobahn. Said I might be riding without a motorcycle licenses. After telling him it was an LT, he came back, measured again and said I was good. Still charged me 100 Euro and a point on my license. Niken would be nice, but if the front width isn't 46.5cm or further apart, motorcycle license will be required.
Same here. But mine only has 460mm due to it being a modified NT MP3. So they made a fuss about the law being "car class licence from 460mm" or "motorbike licence up to 460mm". Fully legal and even had the rego translated to german and a german translation of the L5E rules.

Honestly i think he was more offended my me massacring his language...
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 68
Location: Chandler, AZ
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 pm quote
Reserve it if you want it
I just read a couple of new articles online on the Niken. Yamaha is currently planning only a single, very limited production run of the Niken (they may have already completed it). In the U.S., they are planning on selling the majority of them by reservation only. They will generally not be stocked on the showroom floor of your local Yamaha dealer, although some larger dealers may get a few.
My earlier guess that many will end up with collectors appears to have been correct.
The Niken seems to have been produced for its PR value. Its a shame, as it continues to get generally glowing reviews from the growing number of people who have rode it in Europe.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: North Jersey
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:19 am quote
I'd only believe those comments if they came directly from a Yamaha press release.

I can't see them just doing one small production run for the U.S. *IF* it becomes in demand. Sounds to me they're trying to hype it to create demand, or, they're covering their backsides in case demand is flat.
"It wasn't a bad seller, it was intended to be a limited run from the start."
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 68
Location: Chandler, AZ
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 am quote
I hope you're right and the online articles are wrong. One of the articles cited two other limited production models Yamaha has already handled the same way in the recent past.
I can't imagine the Niken will sell at such a high base price for an 850cc motorcycle. Two of the riding reviews commented the Niken would make a great touring bike and Yamaha would have been better served to sell it equipped as a long haul touring bike and could have then justified the price.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: North Jersey
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 am quote
SteveB77 wrote:
I hope you're right and the online articles are wrong. One of the articles cited two other limited production models Yamaha has already handled the same way in the recent past.
I can't imagine the Niken will sell at such a high base price for an 850cc motorcycle. Two of the riding reviews commented the Niken would make a great touring bike and Yamaha would have been better served to sell it equipped as a long haul touring bike and could have then justified the price.
Yes, I agree with you. For $16,000 (and below) there's many choices out there. If it were more like $12-13K I'd look into it. I'm not one who thinks you need 1800ccs in a motorcycle; as long as it's performance wasn't bad, I'd certainly entertain an 850. I ride a 900 Triumph, but the motorcycling public (not us scooter riders) have been brain washed by Harley and others telling them what they need.
Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco, CA
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:09 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
SteveB77 wrote:
I hope you're right and the online articles are wrong. One of the articles cited two other limited production models Yamaha has already handled the same way in the recent past.
I can't imagine the Niken will sell at such a high base price for an 850cc motorcycle. Two of the riding reviews commented the Niken would make a great touring bike and Yamaha would have been better served to sell it equipped as a long haul touring bike and could have then justified the price.
Yes, I agree with you. For $16,000 (and below) there's many choices out there. If it were more like $12-13K I'd look into it. I'm not one who thinks you need 1800ccs in a motorcycle; as long as it's performance wasn't bad, I'd certainly entertain an 850. I ride a 900 Triumph, but the motorcycling public (not us scooter riders) have been brain washed by Harley and others telling them what they need.
In regards to power... I found this interesting.

- Piaggio MP3 500 (577 lbs with 493cc)
- Niken (580 lbs with 847cc)

So, Niken (Motorcycle) weights almost exactly the same as the Piaggio (scooter) with almost x2 the engine.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 5972
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 am quote
Ewok wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
SteveB77 wrote:
I hope you're right and the online articles are wrong. One of the articles cited two other limited production models Yamaha has already handled the same way in the recent past.
I can't imagine the Niken will sell at such a high base price for an 850cc motorcycle. Two of the riding reviews commented the Niken would make a great touring bike and Yamaha would have been better served to sell it equipped as a long haul touring bike and could have then justified the price.
Yes, I agree with you. For $16,000 (and below) there's many choices out there. If it were more like $12-13K I'd look into it. I'm not one who thinks you need 1800ccs in a motorcycle; as long as it's performance wasn't bad, I'd certainly entertain an 850. I ride a 900 Triumph, but the motorcycling public (not us scooter riders) have been brain washed by Harley and others telling them what they need.
In regards to power... I found this interesting.

- Piaggio MP3 500 (577 lbs with 493cc)
- Niken (580 lbs with 847cc)

So, Niken (Motorcycle) weights almost exactly the same as the Piaggio (scooter) with almost x2 the engine.
Yamaha didn't use a steel frame I bet. Used a nice light weight metal like Piaggio should have.
Hooked
MP3 500
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 308
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am quote
Wasn't the reason why a bigger engine wasn't used in the 500 was because of the small front tires?
Hooked
2008 MP2 250 i.e.
Joined: 05 Aug 2014
Posts: 120
Location: Chippewa Lake, MI
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:51 am quote
I'm wondering, what is the possibility of the Yamaha Tricity coming to the U.S. with the Niken?
Hooked
ET4
Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Posts: 254
Location: Southern California
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm quote
Re: Reserve it if you want it
SteveB77 wrote:
I just read a couple of new articles online on the Niken. Yamaha is currently planning only a single, very limited production run of the Niken (they may have already completed it). In the U.S., they are planning on selling the majority of them by reservation only. They will generally not be stocked on the showroom floor of your local Yamaha dealer, although some larger dealers may get a few.
My earlier guess that many will end up with collectors appears to have been correct.
The Niken seems to have been produced for its PR value. Its a shame, as it continues to get generally glowing reviews from the growing number of people who have rode it in Europe.
I just returned from AIMExpo in Las Vegas. Yamaha had a Niken and a stripped Niken on display. According to the Yamaha reps with whom I spoke, Round 1 (250 unit pre-order sold out). Round 2 could come before the end of the year.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10184
Location: Oregon City, OR
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am quote
This thread needs at least one more photo of the damned thing.

Niken.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 10184
Location: Oregon City, OR
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 am quote
X-Nemesis wrote:
Wasn't the reason why a bigger engine wasn't used in the 500 was because of the small front tires?
I don't think it is just the front wheels - it is the whole front suspension. It was not designed to handle the stresses of a bigger and more powerful bike. It would require a complete redesign. Given how Piaggio obtained the rights to the MP3 design, I'm not sure they are able to do a redesign without involving the original developer, more money, etc.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 4763
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
This thread needs at least one more photo of the damned thing.
Looks to be sitting still; I didn't think it has a tilt-lock feature....

Or is that a foot down on the far side?
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: North Jersey
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00 pm quote
No tilt lock. The photos on Yammie's website show either a foot down or the side stand. And I would think that Yamaha woild tout that feature if they were offering it. No mention in any of their writings, nor any of the bike magazine's reviews.

And is that rider trying to look ridiculous?
Maybe it'll be in the next Star Wars movie?!
Ossessionato
2017 Vespa GTV 300, 2017 BMW C650GT
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 2973
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:39 pm quote
Vintage1 wrote:
No tilt lock. The photos on Yammie's website show either a foot down or the side stand. And I would think that Yamaha woild tout that feature if they were offering it. No mention in any of their writings, nor any of the bike magazine's reviews.

And is that rider trying to look ridiculous?
Maybe it'll be in the next Star Wars movie?!


Really bad camouflage though if the bike was meant for Planet Hoth.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 231
Location: Land of Oz
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 pm quote
Both of these bikes look good. But.... buy a proper sports bike and save all the weight and cost!
Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3680
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:32 pm quote
Vintage1 wrote:
No tilt lock. The photos on Yammie's website show either a foot down or the side stand. And I would think that Yamaha woild tout that feature if they were offering it. No mention in any of their writings, nor any of the bike magazine's reviews.

And is that rider trying to look ridiculous?
Maybe it'll be in the next Star Wars movie?!
Actually that's Mars, the Niken is the new Mars Rover design, and the rider is an android robot.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1310
Location: North Jersey
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
No tilt lock. The photos on Yammie's website show either a foot down or the side stand. And I would think that Yamaha woild tout that feature if they were offering it. No mention in any of their writings, nor any of the bike magazine's reviews.

And is that rider trying to look ridiculous?
Maybe it'll be in the next Star Wars movie?!
Actually that's Mars, the Niken is the new Mars Rover design, and the rider is an android robot.
Ah, thanks. Now it makes sense.....
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 68
Location: Chandler, AZ
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 am quote
Niken GT for $17749
Yamaha apparently listened to multiple early reviewers stating it would probably make a better touring bike. The Niken GT adds bags and a tall windshield. Of course, the price is even higher than the stratospheric price of the base model.
I would love to buy one. However, buying a used one, if any become available, is the only sensible/affordable way.
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super super. 09 MP3 500 super duper
Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 255
Location: tampa
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am quote
I am happy for those that will get to own a niken. its looks like a brilliant machine for sure regardless of price. but for me, make no mistake this is a motorcycle. no temptation for me. I have ridden maybe 50 different motorcycles and close as many scooters, there are six scooters outside and zero motorcycles. in short I love riding scooters. and comfortably can say I pretty much have no desire to ride or own motorcycles ever again. two different beasts.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.6882s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0954s) ][ Debug on ]