@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Any MP3 owners going to get a 2018/19 Yamaha Niken Trike?

Thinking about owning 2 bikes. The Niken... Anyone else? FYI this trike will require a motorcycle licence unlike the MP3 and Cam-am Spyder.
Yamaha already previewed the new NIKEN leaning three-wheeler at the Tokyo Motor Show at the end of October and it's used the EICMA show in Milan to reveal some more technical details.

While some of the specifications are still unknown, not least the final power output for the MT-09-derived 847cc triple, which has been retuned specifically for the NIKEN, we do know a bit more about it now.

The frame, for instance, is of course a unique design. Yamaha has combined a cast aluminium rear section around the conventional motorcycle-style swingarm pivot with a cast steel section at the front where the crazy parallelogram front suspension bolts on. The two parts are connected via steel tubes.

At the back there's a 552mm long swingarm, 15mm longer than the MT-09's while the rider also sits further back by about 50mm. The combined effect is that when there's a typical rider on-board, the bike's hefty front end is counterbalanced, giving a 50:50 weight distribution.

Yamaha says that the NIKEN's front suspension design, with two fork legs for each wheel and a pivoting system that allows the whole bike to lean, can reach up to 45% of lean angle. That's more than most of us will ever reach on the road, so the firm's claims that the NIKEN is a sports bike may not be too far-fetched.

The engine, while retuned compared to the MT-09, still has ride-by-wire, multiple riding modes, cruise control and two-mode traction control. New elements include revised fuel injection and a different crankshaft. The crank is claimed to give 'excellent driveability and smoother starts' - that tells us it's probably heavier than the two-wheeler version's.

Importantly, Yamaha says that the bike's front track - the distance between the centrelines of the two front wheels - is 410mm. That means it won't fall into the same loophole as the Piaggio MP3 LT, which can be ridden on a car driving licence in some European countries, including the UK, as long as the rider is over 21. The law specifies that if the front track is less than 460mm (the MP3 LT's is 465mm), then the wheels are considered to be 'twinned' and legally considered as one wheel. That means, despite the clear evidence to the contrary, the law sees the NIKEN as having only two wheels... And riders will therefore need a full motorcycle licence to operate it.

Key things that we don't yet know include the official power figure. If it's less than 95hp, then it will be legal to restrict the engine to 47hp and use it on an A2 licence, but that would be a big drop from the MT-09's 115hp from the same basic engine design. We also don't know just how heavy the NIKEN is.

The final questions hang over when we'll be able to buy them and how much they'll cost. Yamaha says it will create a special online ordering system but that the opening date for that system and the price will be announced 'in the coming months.'
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Ewok on UTC; edited 2 times
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Ewok wrote:
FYI this trike will require a motorcycle licence unlike the MP3 and Cam-am Spyder.
That is interesting. Why would California DMV define the MP3 and Can-Am as trikes but not the Niken?
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Oodly the Niken requires a motorcycle license. If the center of contact of the front/rear wheels exceeds 460 mm you don't need. But this bike is 410mm so it's required. I think they did this on purpose, to fight all the jerks who think bikes like the MP3 are not real bikes.
@cobra4x4 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 MP3 250

Hooked
@cobra4x4 avatar
2007 MP3 250
UTC quote
Here in Canada (BC) any bike/trike over 50cc requires a class 6 motorcycle license.
What you can use it for:
To ride motorcycles, all-terrain cycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs)

A limited-speed motorcycle which can be used with any license class has:
A motor with a piston displacement of 50cc or less, or a power source that produces a maximum of 1.5kW
A power drive system that does not require clutching or shifting after the drive system is engaged
A maximum speed of 70 km/h (44mph) on level ground
A maximum weight of 95 kg (210lbs)
Wheels with a diameter of at least 254 mm (10")
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
In the States, as well any bike under 49cc you don't need license. Other than the trikes, has always been a loop hole not requiring M2 is the states.

Kinda crazy, since MP3 500 can get up to 100mph, Spyder up to 189mph all without a motorcycle license. However, not with the Niken which has 847cc engine.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
Yamaha did the same with the Tricity the frontwheels are also to close together for a trike i think due to the changes in the laws in Europe all car license drivers that did passed there test after 01-01-2013 need a motorcycle license for a trike all that passed before are still able to drive a trike but not a motorcycle
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Maksor wrote:
Yamaha did the same with the Tricity the frontwheels are also to close together for a trike i think due to the changes in the laws in Europe all car license drivers that did passed there test after 01-01-2013 need a motorcycle license for a trike all that passed before are still able to drive a trike but not a motorcycle
ahh interesting, I just read this as well on another site. So it looks like I wont need an M2 License. (I plan on getting one anyway) but nice to know that. thanks for the update.

The plan is the MP3 is my daily work commute and the Niken is for long trips with my wife and I. At least that is my justification for owning two trikes.
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe
UTC quote
If Yamaha Europe sees the light and makes a EU version with a 460mm front track, then yes.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
the won't do it because the EU markted is getting smaller every year
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe
UTC quote
Yeah, i dont hold much hope for it either. I'm working on my bike licence anyway so its a moot point. I like threewheelers, but the exorbitant sum they will ask for this is probably now worth it unless its legal on a car licence. I'll probably just go with a normal twowheeler.
@brasseye avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@brasseye avatar
UTC quote
MarshalDan wrote:
If Yamaha Europe sees the light and makes a EU version with a 460mm front track, then yes.
I'd get one in a heartbeat of the front wheels were further apart.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
Maksor wrote:
the won't do it because the EU markted is getting smaller every year
I understand Piaggio makes both a 'narrow' and a wider track version of the MP3. So it's a possibility.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Ewok wrote:
Oodly the Niken requires a motorcycle license. If the center of contact of the front/rear wheels exceeds 460 mm you don't need. But this bike is 410mm so it's required. I think they did this on purpose, to fight all the jerks who think bikes like the MP3 are not real bikes.
The MP3 imported to the US also has a front wheel spacing of less than 460mm. The MP3 with the wider spacing is the LT model which is sold in Europe but not in the US. I was not aware that California used the 460mm measurement to define a trike.
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Ewok wrote:
The MP3 imported to the US also has a front wheel spacing of less than 460mm. The MP3 with the wider spacing is the LT model which is sold in Europe but not in the US. I was not aware that California used the 460mm measurement to define a trike.
I am not really sure how CA or even US determines if its a trike and if a M2 licence is required. Issue is all the material/articles we have about the Niken are from the UK. I will just figure it out when they are available for sale in the states.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Ewok wrote:
I am not really sure how CA or even US determines if its a trike and if a M2 license is required. Issue is all the material/articles we have about the Niken are from the UK. I will just figure it out when they are available for sale in the states.
There are no national standards for trikes in the US, and the UK standards don't apply here. There is substantial inconsistency from state to state. At present, CA classifies 3-wheel bikes separately from motorcycles and does not require a motorcycle license/endorsement to ride them. OR treats 3-wheel bikes as motorcycles with all the same registration and licensing requirements. WA treats 3-wheel bikes as motorcycles, but requires a specific 3-wheel license/endorsement. As you live in CA, your DMV should be able to explain CA rules to you (we hope ).
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
I proccess all my DMV needs online So you have answered more than my CA DMV lol
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I understand Piaggio makes both a 'narrow' and a wider track version of the MP3. So it's a possibility.
Not any more Piaggio dropped the RL/RST version after the EU laws changed

They only make the LT version with footbrake thats also sold in the US now
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
According to the dealer I contacted they said they don't know any more information than Yamaha has on the website. However they "assume" it is the same as any other road legal trike in the States.

UK = 100% requires motorcycle licence. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cNvP9AHT4)
US = Assumed it falls under the same trike laws. (AKA MP3, Spyder, Trikes)

Next topic, people assume in other forums it will be a $20K+

... What do you guys think it will MSRP in the States for?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Ewok wrote:
According to the dealer I contacted they said they don't know any more information than Yamaha has on the website. However they "assume" it is the same as any other road legal trike in the States.

UK = 100% requires motorcycle licence. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cNvP9AHT4)

You can't make any broad assumptions with regard to "US" motorcycle laws. See what Dooglas posted just above. Each state makes its own rules. It's more akin to 50 individual countries than it is one country in this regard. Many from overseas don't know or understand this fact.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Ewok wrote:

You can't make any broad assumptions with regard to "US" motorcycle laws. See what Dooglas posted just above. Each state makes its own rules. It's more akin to 50 individual countries than it is one country in this regard. Many from overseas don't know or understand this fact.
I interpret this differently. If you're suggesting Ewok made some assumptions here I would counter and suggest the statement "falls under the same trike laws" could be interpreted with "as applies in each state" at the end.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Ewok wrote:

I interpret this differently. If you're suggesting Ewok made some assumptions here I would counter and suggest the statement "falls under the same trike laws" could be interpreted with "as applies in each state" at the end.
Obviously, I did not interpret it as stating "as applies in each state".
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
My bad, meant to say that the indavidual at the Yamaha dealership in CA that I contacted said "He assumes it will be the same as other reverse trikes but doesn't know"
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I don't really think Yamaha is after the traditional trike market here. It's a bit of a beast and anyone with just a drivers license that thinks they can get on on one of these and ride away needs their head checked. Obviously that does not apply to those of you that have been riding MP3's for years. At least the CanAM and some of the other trikes are more planted with the wider front tires. This I think is more of an evolution for MC's and may help the aging demographic but you better have some miles under your but before getting one. The classic MC riding position and lack of CVT tranny also make me feel this way. Just my opinion obviously and I really want to see one of these in person.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
I don't really think Yamaha is after the traditional trike market here. It's a bit of a beast and anyone with just a drivers license that thinks they can get on on one of these and ride away needs their head checked. Obviously that does not apply to those of you that have been riding MP3's for years. At least the CanAM and some of the other trikes are more planted with the wider front tires. This I think is more of an evolution for MC's and may help the aging demographic but you better have some miles under your but before getting one. The classic MC riding position and lack of CVT tranny also make me feel this way. Just my opinion obviously and I really want to see one of these in person.
I couldn't agree with you more.
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Well said, I completely agree with you. In my case, I don't have a ton of experience but more than some I suppose. Approximately 5 years on a street legal scooter. (2 wheel and 3 wheel) about 30 years on snowmobiles and ATV's 3 wheeler/quads.

As well you made another good point, which is the riding position. That in fact may be one factor that will turn me off. I am more comfortable leaning back vs forward (typical scooter posture). Funny how that alone may be a deal breaker for me and will lead me to just sticking with MP3's.

Still want to test ride one at least as well I plan on still getting my M2 licence.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I would buy one in a heartbeat if I can afford one. This video shows me everything I need to know.

Hmmm. Video embed not working. Here is the URL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz68y0NqQ1I)
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe
UTC quote
Yeah, yamaha has come out and officially stared it needs a motorbike licence. Nothing we didnt expect.

I'd really like to see a leaning threewheeler with proper power. I like my 250, its plenty fast for me even stock, and i'm putting some aftermarket parts on it soon. But it would be fun to do some roadtrips and thats something it doesnt really like. And after i put the new variator on, it will like roadtrips even less.

Looks like i'll just have to get an MP3 500 and tune the shit out of the engine. I hoped the Metropolis would turn up with a 500 or 650 engine. Now thats a proper touring threewheeler. Lacks some power sadly.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Also in California 3 wheelers are not included in the lane splitting law. A MP3 or a Niken splitting lanes can be ticketed in Ca.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
14perry wrote:
Also in California 3 wheelers are not included in the lane splitting law. A MP3 or a Niken splitting lanes can be ticketed in Ca.
I hope no one tells all the motorcycle cops I've split lanes with.
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
14perry wrote:
Here in sweden, neither we nor the motorcycle cops are allowed to lane split. Unfortunately thats because when they allowed the police to do it, the ran down a bunch of wing mirrors left and right. And being the almighty police, its completely unreasonable to think that civilians could do it better, so the solution is to forbid everyone from doing it.

Swedish equality. We don't make it better for those having it bad, no, life should be equally shit for everyone.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
14perry wrote:
See this thread for update:

Pulled over by the Highway Patrol!
@new200guy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport

Addicted
@new200guy avatar
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
UTC quote
I would love to have this, but the price I think is going to be a tough pill to swallow. I can imagine it being around the 20k mark and at that point, I can't see it being worth the purchase. With a proper MC license and a few thousand dollars/Euros, you can pick up a decent used bike that will be just as much fun. The MP3 already gets me 20 questions with random strangers, so just imagine with this. 50 to 100 questions.
@71brent avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS

Hooked
@71brent avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS
UTC quote
Motorcyclist Magazine put a new vid on YT today.

2019 Yamaha Niken - First Look Review
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Is it just me or YouTube videos never work on the Forum. Can't play it.
@71brent avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS

Hooked
@71brent avatar
2016 MP3 500 Sport ABS
UTC quote
Ewok wrote:
Is it just me or YouTube videos never work on the Forum. Can't play it.
They don't work with Chrome. Open in FireFox or Edge. Also why I included the title of the video so people could search on YT.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The issue with trikes in the US is that some manufacturers want them to be classed as autos, like the imaginary Elio, so the driver doesn't have to wear a helmet, etc, and others want them to be considered a motorcycle, so they don't have to meet all the safety standards of a car. Two wheels is not a car and four wheels is not a motorcycle, but three wheels can go either way.
OP
@ewok avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie

Enthusiast
@ewok avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
UTC quote
According to another article, however they still don't mention what country.
Second characteristic that anchors the motorcycle side: his driving necessarily requires the license motorcycle (A), a voluntary choice of Yamaha who did not plan to make a contest to MP3 LT (Large Tread, wide track).

These are accessible with a simple car license (B) and a 7-hour training - even in 500 cc version - thanks to their spacing between wheels greater than 460 mm, as allowed by the regulations. The Yamaha, it, displays 410 mm between its front wheels: in fact, it can not enter the category of L5e tricycles, accessible without a motorcycle license.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
that for Eu Law in 1994 Europe did change the law for tricycles a lot of Reliant robin owners needed a car licence then

With a But everyone who did get its licence after 19 januari 2013 needs a motorcycle licence Those that did get it before 2013 may drive a L5e Such as the can-am mp3, Metropolis with ther B class licence
So eventualy everybody needs a A class in time

in 1994 Europe did change the law for tricycles a lot of Reliant owners needed a car licence then
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe

Enthusiast
MP3 250LiTe
UTC quote
Maksor wrote:
With a But everyone who did get its licence after 19 januari 2013 needs a motorcycle licence Those that did get it before 2013 may drive a L5e Such as the can-am mp3, Metropolis with ther B class licence
So eventualy everybody needs a A class in time
That hasn't been implemented in most countries. It passed in the EU, but not implemented locally. However there was a 15kw restriction added until the driver is 21.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
no in most eu countries

A1 125cc/ 11kw 18 till 21
A2 21 to 23 35kw
A 23 no restictions
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0541s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0282s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]