wish me luck (smallie 100cc)
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86 and a not so normal pts100 '82
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 pm quote
i start to open my smallie engine to change the bearing as my engine sound rough and merry inside, but for the love of God i dont know how to open the clutch basket and release all the gearing to change the o ring seal for the clucth selector arm

does this mean i am reaching my limit without a proper tools

pts100 (3).jpeg
judgeing the mess, i figure its because of the low compresion (the barrel and head is bad i know)

pts100 (4).jpeg
i manage to release all the bearing in the right engine casing

pts100 (2).jpeg
this one still look good

pts 100 (1).jpeg
still confuse wheter i should use this old c3 bearing or change with the new one.. i will probably end with the old c3 as the new one is almost a quater of the bike price

Last edited by koenig blues on Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
1966 SS180,1968 Sprint, 72' Rally ,74 V90, '64 GL 150 & too many projects!
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:44 pm quote
Ebeth = Voodoo taught me a test for bearings~! 1st - clean real good with gas and blow out with air. Then take and hold bearing with two fingers and use compressed sir to blow in it and make it spin real fast. If it is good it will be quiet and smooth -if it is bad it will make sounds and feel rough. He uses a lot of old bearings, and I have too with this test and all good so far!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 pm quote
Re: wish me luck..
koenig blues wrote:
i start to open my smallie engine to change the bearing as my engine sound rough and merry inside, but for the love of God i dont know how to open the clutch basket and release all the gearing to change the o ring seal for the clucth selector arm

Hmmm... No special tools as I recall and I hope I don't steer you wrong but it's been a while since I completely disassembled a smallie motor. I'm surprised somebody who's done it lately hasn't jumped up, but here goes:

Pull the clutch cover, then the release disk from the center of the clutch to expose the clutch nut underneath. It's just a hex nut so no special socket but you will need to flatten the crimped up edge of the retaining washer under the nut.

Next you need to pop the clutch off its taper and I'll leave it to you Mr. Clever to find a way with no special tool(not too difficult). Now the trick is to rotate the clutch so the widest gap is where it allows you to remove the clutch twisting it up and out. Now things are exposed and you can see what else you need to do or you can search for more specifics or you can wait for an expert to help us out here. But you cannot trust my memory for details from here other than that there were no more tricky puzzles that I can recall. Basically now you can remove the christmas tree so you can then pull the gearset.

Healthy used bearings can be OK, but if I only had one bike I'd rebuild w/ new. Before you try the hi speed spin test, first give it a good visual inspection in strong light. Bin it if you see any pits & use a magnifying glass if needed. Then feel it for looseness or any play compared to a new bearing. It won't be as tight, but you should be able to tell if it's getting loose. When you do the spin test, consider wearing gloves because if you are wrong and it is too loose or has pits etc, then it locks up at speed, it will try to tear your fingers off. Maybe wear safety goggles as well and a hard hat.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:47 pm quote
Good luck E!! You can do it!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 pm quote
the Falcon wrote:
Ebeth = Voodoo taught me a test for bearings~! 1st - clean real good with gas and blow out with air. Then take and hold bearing with two fingers and use compressed sir to blow in it and make it spin real fast. If it is good it will be quiet and smooth -if it is bad it will make sounds and feel rough. He uses a lot of old bearings, and I have too with this test and all good so far!
thanks Brother Hall, i end up only change 2 bearing, 1 is in the flywheel crank shaft side and another one is for the right side cog gearing, those two is what making my engine sound loud.. as for the rest they are still O.K
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm quote
Re: wish me luck..
V oodoo wrote:
koenig blues wrote:

Hmmm... No special tools as I recall and I hope I don't steer you wrong but it's been a while since I completely disassembled a smallie motor. I'm surprised somebody who's done it lately hasn't jumped up, but here goes:

Pull the clutch cover, then the release disk from the center of the clutch to expose the clutch nut underneath. It's just a hex nut so no special socket but you will need to flatten the crimped up edge of the retaining washer under the nut.

Next you need to pop the clutch off its taper and I'll leave it to you Mr. Clever to find a way with no special tool(not too difficult). Now the trick is to rotate the clutch so the widest gap is where it allows you to remove the clutch twisting it up and out. Now things are exposed and you can see what else you need to do or you can search for more specifics or you can wait for an expert to help us out here. But you cannot trust my memory for details from here other than that there were no more tricky puzzles that I can recall. Basically now you can remove the christmas tree so you can then pull the gearset.

Healthy used bearings can be OK, but if I only had one bike I'd rebuild w/ new. Before you try the hi speed spin test, first give it a good visual inspection in strong light. Bin it if you see any pits & use a magnifying glass if needed. Then feel it for looseness or any play compared to a new bearing. It won't be as tight, but you should be able to tell if it's getting loose. When you do the spin test, consider wearing gloves because if you are wrong and it is too loose or has pits etc, then it locks up at speed, it will try to tear your fingers off. Maybe wear safety goggles as well and a hard hat.
thanks Brother T, i dont have that freaking puller to pull the clutch basket so i hit it with a square wood and i dont have the air compresor so i just spin it with my hand and shake it to see movement
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
Good luck E!! You can do it!
thanks Brother M, and yes i can do it here's the update

pts6.jpeg
eurekaa.. i manage to hit it out

pts7.jpeg
the bearing look O.K and the clutch basket is in great shape

pts8.jpeg
the gearing is good but i have to so something about the loss of power every time i shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.. though about changeing it to 4rd gear version but its expensive and a local folks told me to change the 3rd gear with a sprint 3rd gear t

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:13 pm quote
i also found a sprint gearing for free but the project will be on hold for a few days cause last weekend i am taking my wife on a holiday with vespa,

have a nice day to you all and cheer

pts9.jpeg
i am so lucky the rotary is still good, i guess its a perfect time as if i wait any longer those worn out bearing might cause movement and the crank shaft will damage the rotary

sprint gearing.jpeg
got this sprint gearing from Mr. Sofyan, now all i need to do is save some coin to modified that 3rd gearing so it can be used with the pts100 gearing mechanism (i dunno the name in English but its like a cross shift on a large frame) and add some hole so

my wife.jpeg
maybe she feel my stress and ask me to go out so i can refresh my mind and work with the smallframe with a brighter mind hyhyhy..

stress release.png
run cow run

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:19 am quote
the Falcon wrote:
Maybe Voodoo has had good luck testing bearings that way but I would say it is just luck. I attended a seminar put on by a major bearing manufacture and they showed us pictures of bearings that exploded when spun like that!

The air pressure can spin the bearing at very high RPMs and the centripetal force can cause the bearing to literally explode! May not happen with a good/new bearing but if there are any flaws in the used bearing it could happen!

And besides doing it with a bearing after removing all the lubricant will subject it to wear.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm quote
more to it than just luck..
Yeah, more to it than just a hi speed spin and as I noted there is a safety consideration, but I am surprised that bearings have actually exploded. Much more risk of them locking up but if you held the center in a vise instead of your fingers AND the bearing was dirty/ badly pitted, I imagine that the retainer could disintegrate w/ resulting shrapnel.

Lots of different ppl in lots of different places just aren't able to replace every bearing in the motor w/ new and in most cases probably don't need to. I simply showed a friend how I check them out if if I'm considering reusing, YMMV and not a general recommendation as mentioned above. And good point on wear, I did forget to say I do give it a little oil before spinning
V oodoo wrote:

Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:34 pm quote
Also remember; itís likely a bodged air compressor with old reused bearings, & possibly using some vacuum cleaner bits, so unlikely it will spin anything at a bazillion RPM. Nor is the scoot likely to be revved to 9000rpm in every gear.

Note: no offence to Ebeth for comment... I just have a distorted mind .
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Note: no offence to Ebeth for comment... I just have a distorted mind .
it hurt but didnt bleed i will be going 10.000rpm once i have a latest px stator and a cdi after i change the cone in that smallie and lightening those px flywhell by ditching all the fin and change it to bajaj fin so it may be only 1300weight not to mention i will have the sprint 3rd gear so its a rev all the way down

kidding, it will need a bigger barrel and carb and maybe tons of coins so dream on

although i wanna it to be fast like everyone else but for sure this smallie will be just a almost normal city slicker as it light, have good acceleration and low fuel compsumption

have a nice day to you all my Brothers and cheer
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 am quote
Re: more to it than just luck..
V oodoo wrote:
Lots of different ppl in lots of different places just aren't able to replace every bearing in the motor w/ new and in most cases probably don't need to. I simply showed a friend how I check them out if if I'm considering reusing, YMMV and not a general recommendation as mentioned above. And good point on wear, I did forget to say I do give it a little oil before spinning
Note I did not suggest that reusing a bearing was bad. Just trying to warn about possible danger of spinning at high speeds, especially a used baring that may have some unseen flaw.
Addicted
1966 SS180,1968 Sprint, 72' Rally ,74 V90, '64 GL 150 & too many projects!
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 pm quote
Re: more to it than just luck..
kshansen wrote:
V oodoo wrote:
Note I did not suggest that reusing a bearing was bad. Just trying to warn about possible danger of spinning at high speeds, especially a used baring that may have some unseen flaw.
I would be amazed if this happened ... if it was that bad of shape I think you wouldn't need to bother with a spin test. As well I highly doubt that a few seconds of spinning is going to damage it - there will always be some left over oil in there- at least the way I clean them with gas and air. It is good to be safe and aware - don't get me wrong but crossing a busy street DT is more dangerous than this...
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 pm quote
the Falcon wrote:
kshansen wrote:
V oodoo wrote:
I would be amazed if this happened ... if it was that bad of shape I think you wouldn't need to bother with a spin test. As well I highly doubt that a few seconds of spinning is going to damage it - there will always be some left over oil in there- at least the way I clean them with gas and air. It is good to be safe and aware - don't get me wrong but crossing a busy street DT is more dangerous than this...
Fyuu, it sure is good all those Fidger Spinners out there use sealed bearings. Golly, I can just imagine what would happen if they weren't.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:55 pm quote
engine internal done..
many thanks for the tips guys, now its alive in first kick and i do now have a more silent engine and a bit of compresion, as i manage to finish it yesterday and wash it up last night, now its only need a exhaust, cause mine is twisted so badly it rub my brand new rejected rear tyre

will post more of the exhaust next month until then enjoy life and cheer guys

pts12.jpeg
all bearings in place and all gears lining up nicely

pts13.jpeg
clean this hand granat and put it back on

pts14.jpeg
close the cases

pts15.jpeg
its a wrap

pts16.jpeg
put the engine back and its alive in first kick and the sound is quiter then before, i can smile now can i :)

pts18.jpeg
try to put my new rejected rear tyre just to find out that my exhaust rubbing the tyre badly, make me more and more wanted the new exhaust

pts19.jpeg
at the end of the day, i wash it and put it inside until i can work on that exhaust

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 pm quote
skip the exhaust but manage to put the tyre after i hit the exhaust to give a room for the tyre now it fit and i also paint my engine and my front fork along with the hub. it does make it look more like a child toy then to a bike

anyway we arrive in May so its time to have a nice summer everyone and cheer

Work that tyre and pipe till 02.55.11.jpeg
this is what keeping us sane in the night :lol:

its silver again.jpeg
i got silver ;)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon May 07, 2018 11:09 pm quote
powerfull bolt..
last weekend i change the front shock with a nicer one, but the bolt is holding so tight till it i have to borrow my friend grinder.. even wd40 can do much and my palm is already hurt, but in the end of the day it was worth as my smallie is more comfy when we meet road bump took my nephews and we all have a fun time riding the smallie

have a great summer for you all and cheer

powerpuff bolt.jpeg

morning bloom.jpeg

the nephew.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun May 27, 2018 1:27 am quote
exhaust..
i found a donor pipe in the junkyard for $2, try to put it on but i found some problems as that pipe is so whack that it hit the rear tyre and the frame (now i know why that pipe end in a junkyard), since i am desperate in need of a pipe so i can use a newer tyre since my old pipe is eating tyre so i modified the junkyard pipe.. after 2 days i finally able to make it fit nicely

junkyard pipe.jpeg
the junkyard pipe

custom pipe1.jpeg
first attempt that pipe is way out from the frame and the neck hit the tyre

custom pipe2.jpeg
change the direction of the silencer and put a yamaha F1zr and hammering the belly so it can slide inside the frame

custom pipe3.jpeg
the next day i heat up the neck so it will stay far away from the tyre

custom pipe4.jpeg
still not enough, i cut the pipe and weld it back

custom pipe5.jpeg
and voila.. not too bad, well atleast it serve it task and i can use a taller tyre

custom pipe.jpg
put a aluminum sticker and it look shinny :lol:

Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Sun May 27, 2018 4:47 am quote
Nicely done! How's it run?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm quote
Gt6MK3 wrote:
Nicely done! How's it run?
it run good, not loud enough but have a little extra power boost in each gear maybe it will be better if my barrel have a more compresion but atleast my rear tyre can move freely no so i am happy
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 pm quote
got a report from the neighbour community both in my mom house and my mother in law house, they said my smallie pipe is too loud, i talk back to them saying i am not the only one with a loud pipe, and they said other bike have bigger cc so its their habit to be loud but ur bike is small it shouldnt be that loud, i get a shock and like just for a second and laugh

i'll once again change my pipe, cut the yamaha f1zr silencer and trade it with a suzuki rgr 150 which is smaller but longer which i assume will be quiter

after i weld it and kickstart the smallie i got 2 more issue, that silencer is too quiet it almost like 4 stroke bike, even the stock pipe is louder then this not too mention i lost so much power in accelration.. check the glass woll and my hutch was right its all wet let it be quiet for now.. another issues is i can now hear how loud my bearing vibrate and i know if i didnt fix it soon it will damage my rotary so with a sad heart i will said this is the end of the little yellow beast adventure and back to the shed until i can fix it in the future

until next time and cheer everyone

stealth mode pipe.jpg
weld, cut, bend, weld, cut, weld.. and now that pipe is getting his frankenstein character appeal :lol:

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 pm quote
Oh crap! What do you need? Just the crank bearings?

Nice job on those muffs by the way, I crown you 'Muff Mod King' !

PS Is this a nanny goat looking at me?

goat.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:51 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Oh crap! What do you need? Just the crank bearings?

Nice job on those muffs by the way, I crown you 'Muff Mod King' !

PS Is this a nanny goat looking at me?
thanks Brother T, as for the loud noise in the engine, yup just the bearing based on the recent engine split, but i hasnt open the engine again so i hope it will just the bearing, and as muff king when i am done with the engine i will change the muff again

and that nanny is a cow

have a nice day and cheer Brother T
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:28 am quote
Ops forget this one, i started working on tha smallie again, actually lots of thing happen like repaint it and change the rims.. Today i fix the condensor in other word replace it, and push my right crank case seal inside as it leaking oil (maybe due time) will see if it work for the next week otherwise have to replace the seal

IMG-20190929-WA0065.jpeg

Addicted
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:06 pm quote
Looking good!
Like the yellow.
Hope the fires are not too close to you - and that they get them under control soon.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 am quote
the fire is in another island and far away from me yes, glad u like the yellow Brother C, here's the latest pic of the smallie after i test it for a week to see wheter the flywheel seal still leaking or not, and its still dry inside the stator area so i am all good

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-30 at 16.44.19.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:59 am quote
damage the seal in the crankcase (the fluwheel one) so got to glued it up hope it last longer till i forget that it actually rip but luckly my friend and i made a smallie shock out of bicycle shock the aftermarket shock is like $20 and didnt last long while this one only cost $2

test it tide and its work nicely

have a nice sunday to all and cheer

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-02 at 16.13.28.jpeg
its rip apart due to aging (if 37 yo isnt old enough) :lol:

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-02 at 18.09.25.jpeg
glued it and no more leaking

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-02 at 15.49.23.jpeg
behold to my new $2 front bicycle shock :lol:

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-02 at 21.35.59.jpeg
and its work nicely

Addicted
Honda elite
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 am quote
it is amazing what the Vespa can endure and continue to perform. Great photo in the tunnel!
Enthusiast
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:03 am quote
what bike is the $2 shock from?
were there any modifications necessary etc

details, we need details
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1966s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0393s) ][ Debug on ]