End of hibernation!
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 am quote
Totally epic ride - full 5 kilometers! Including stop at a gas station

Lakes nearby are still frozen, but snow is melting rapidly. And there's the sun!! NOW there are plenty of happy Finns around.

In addition to nature, there are two miracles that still make me amazed every Spring.

First is that I can ride. Really, aftet about 6 months, I always feel that I've lost my touch. Bike feels like alien technology. Then I sit on the bike, get it going....and yes, this was it. Feels immediately familiar. The same thing happens every spring.

The second is miracle of technology. Garages with any kind of heating started to get popular around early 80's. Until that, they were either sheds without heating, or cold attached garages that were heated with portable heaters if needed....for e.g. a major car overhaul.

So I've grown up knowing that bikes hibernate well in sheds, in freezing temperatures and lot's of switching around melting point.

Still, again after over 6 months, plug in the battery, press the button and voila'! The bike starts like always, runs like always and shines under the sun after the latest waxing in Autumn. It's still amazing, after all these years. If I wouldn't know better, I might be tempted to store my bikes "properly"

image.jpeg

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 am quote
Whoohoo!!

...wait, is that a frozen lake in the background???? Still???
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:52 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Whoohoo!!

...wait, is that a frozen lake in the background???? Still???
Yep. That's a frozen lake.

This reminds me: there's an old wisdom in Finland, according to which you should never buy a summer cottage in winter. Why? Because you'll never know whether it's beside a lake or a field....

If I remember correctly, there are well over 100 000 lakes in Finland, most of the small, much smaller than the one in the pic. The truth is, that those who do ice fishing, do sometimes face the lake/field dilemma. It's not uncommon to first wish properly through the ice, then shift the place a bit towards to the shore....and notice after awhile that you'd just tried to fish on a field....
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am quote
Jeez, just had to check this: there are exactly 187 888 lakes in Finland, most of which are really tiny. And most(all?) of which are still frozen.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm quote
RRider wrote:
Jeez, just had to check this: there are exactly 187 888 lakes in Finland, most of which are really tiny. And most(all?) of which are still frozen.
Interesting because that sounds like Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin etc., and I just did a bit of research and that is, indeed, where most Fins first immigrated here.

I assume this also means giant herds of four-pound, three-foot-wingspan mosquitoes...?
Molto Verboso
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:49 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
RRider wrote:
Interesting because that sounds like Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin etc., and I just did a bit of research and that is, indeed, where most Fins first immigrated here.

I assume this also means giant herds of four-pound, three-foot-wingspan mosquitoes...?
I guess we, as a Nation, were busy somewhere else when I.Q. quotas were divided - be born in a place that's cold in winter and has mosquitos in summer...make a giant effort to move to the other side of the world....to end up in an exactly similar place

To be honest, I can well see why many Fin have immigrated in these places.

From my relatives, there is actually also one guy, who migrated to that side of the bond. I've met him only a few times when I was young, when he visited relatives in Finland. He's been dead quite some time already. He flew a bit past the Michigan etc. area and ended up in Toronto, Canada!

The only other immigrant family I know ended up also in Canada, to Thunder Bay. I've heard there is quite a population of Fins in that particular area.

But yeah, sunny, warm places...let them not disturb our in-born happiness.
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:39 am quote
Great picture! Hopefully it's getting warmer for you soon.

Eric
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:42 am quote
Here comes the sun...tam di dam...

After exceptionally cold early Spring, we have now enjoyed exceptionally warm few days! This will change again soon, but I'll enjoy while I can.

Today's ride was 40 km. Checked the ice situation in one lake (still a bit...), flow in nearby small rapids (yes, melting season) and had a cup of coffee outside near the rapids. Warm enough with the full leather gear

Annoyingly, well kind of, I got reminded what a nice bike my lil' Suzuki is. It took me to the lake over some rocky, wet paths. I keeps up with the cars at back roads. It even accelerates quite decently when really pushed - not something I do all the time, but just had to remind myself about this

And what's annoying about this - well, my case of buying another bike is quite week on facts. But then again, who cares about facts with the bikes!

image.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:44 am quote

image.jpeg
Plenty of water, nothing like this at Summer.

Last edited by RRider on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am quote

image.jpeg
...and here it comes.

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 am quote
Facts-smacks...although I will add that that lil bike *also* photographs well.

Glad the thaw's begun!
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 am quote
Just had a chance to view your great photos
RRider,

Your Suzuki 200 with the high carriage has got to be perfect for
your on/off road riding. I really like that Suzuki Model.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota - USA
Molto Verboso
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:36 pm quote
Re: Just had a chance to view your great photos
Bob Copeland wrote:
RRider,

Your Suzuki 200 with the high carriage has got to be perfect for
your on/off road riding. I really like that Suzuki Model.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota - USA
Thanks Bob, it's been a very good ride.

You're absolutely right - this Suzuki has given me a comfy way to explore my surroundings in a way a street bike or a scoot could not have been able to. With moderate speed, this must be one of the most comfortable and easy going bikes I've ever ridden.

After a lot of thoughts, it looks like I'll let her go - I wish to have a bit larger bike again and althought I like this lil' bike a lot, I just don't have time and space for two bikes. I've searched for the next bike quite some time now (see my musing threat in this same category) and am close to a deal now...
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:47 pm quote
Woohoo! Good to hear you're back on two wheels!
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.5553s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0763s) ][ Debug on ]