Meet "Buffy"
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12345
Hooked
Bodgerific 150 Super, 50s in progress
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:35 am quote

With Hanoi Jane finally running, Buffy came out of hiding today. The grinder, power file, dremel, wire wheel, hammers, dollys, and body files came out, and her legshield and horncast got the beginning of a tidy up.

More to do, but its getting there, and nice to be back to it.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 pm quote
Buffy is looking all new again! Hard to believe it's the 'same' scooter.

So, how's progress? I was reminded of Buffy by this, which I'm almost afraid to mention to you. But hey, there must be a way to get a complete smallie to Oz cheap.

It's at Mercato along w/ some other interesting, but modestly costly lovely old stuff on Pg 2 of 'Used Parts' that was new to me. No, don't work there or get a cut, but Dave has helped me out numerous times & this is interesting to many here, especially our Aussie cousins I think. Warning: not cheap.
from the listing wrote:
OK another SF project for sale. This is one that does not come around all the time. A long time ago I bought some replacement frames off a dealer in Italy. Well this is the last one left and someone needs to build this up. The frame is an NOS original ET3 frame. Also there are NOS ET3 cases. This package comes with all the parts listed on the invoice. 3,000 retail. So basically you you buy the parts and get the NOS frame, NOS cases and other body parts (will come with new fender). I could not find a flywheel. So you will have to find that. I tried to add all the parts that I could. Of course there will be bits here and there.

At one point I was going to do this project and my painter started to prepare it. He primed it, so no its not in the factory primer. But if there is any question several people in Atlanta can verify that I have been hauling this jewell around for years.

But once built it will be like a brand new ET3. Does not come around every day.

I can crate and ship to a Fed Ex Freight depot. Very economical. Of course you can pick it up or make other arrangements (Denver James).

Being that it is a replacement frame it is stamped VMB1T * and then left open. You will have to figure out the VIN process yourself. But there are ways, as most of you know.

Please email, call with questions. Thanks, Dave.

et3.jpg

Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:00 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
Are you going to take the left cowl and make a smallframe battery side door?
Did you trash the remainder of the old frame before making a battery door for someone in the US or Europe with a Electric start 50?
Hooked
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:48 am quote
Nice of you to think of me V oodoo, but I need to finish a few projects before I but another.

Or so I keep telling myself.

Rowdy, the old parts are sitting in a box at the factory, but they're dinted and rusty. Making a door is beyond my current skillset.

C.
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm quote
Did you ever work out what the on/off toggle switch under the seat actually does?
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am quote
Gt6MK3 wrote:
Making a door is beyond my current skillset.

C.
You made a whole scooter but you can't make a door?
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:24 am quote
sdjohn wrote:
Gt6MK3 wrote:

C.
Yeah, not buying it.

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am quote
Loving the way Buffy is coming along. Truly a work of patience and precision. BRAVO!
Hooked
Vespa
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
Gt6MK3 wrote:

C.
Yeah, not buying it.

More like it's not challenging enough
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:51 am quote
ph0ngvu wrote:
SoCalGuy wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
Gt6MK3 wrote:

C.
Yeah, not buying it.

More like it's not challenging enough
Yeah, I'm not buying it either GT. More like you'll whip it out in 5 minutes on your lunch break using a hack saw and channel locks!
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:06 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
Gt6MK3 wrote:

C.
Yeah, not buying it.

^^^From a guy who knows, and made this piece of crap art out of a bit thinner stuff, but still, it IS doable, Ace!

IMG_20190803_124557514.jpg
soon to be appearing on another southern California scoot

Hooked
58 VB1T, 68 SS180, 81 100 Sport
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:10 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
SoCalGuy wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
Gt6MK3 wrote:

C.
Yeah, not buying it.

^^^From a guy who knows, and made this piece of crap art out of a bit thinner stuff, but still, it IS doable, Ace!
As the proud new owner of above hand made door, I can say it can be done! Needs some final finishing, but work well done! Now If I can only find some time to get my own hands dirty on my Lil 100 sporty go go parts... soon!! Thanks VooDoo and SoCal by proxy

Now Buffy is giving me some inspiration to work on another project of mine, which needs some heavy hand work. Alignment, jigging lazerin, and cutting welding and massaging.... an US Spec SS180 that needs a portion of tunnel replaced due to a previous front hit & subsequent creative Farmer bodge work. I've got my frame, and a donor frame so 1+1 = 1 good one, in this case. Will get to work on this at some point in the future
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:55 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
rowdyc wrote:
Are you going to take the left cowl and make a smallframe battery side door?
Did you trash the remainder of the old frame before making a battery door for someone in the US or Europe with a Electric start 50?
http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=35500

Hooked
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:45 am quote
Why has Buffy not progressed? Well, I screwed up.

This,

Quite simply, was shoddy work. It's crooked.

And it remained crooked when it was welded in.

And because I didn't think through the way it was welded in, when it was all done and ground back, it was both crooked, and sunken in at the edges. (I'd like to thank Ginch for pointing these flaw I was trying hard to ignore out to me. Regularly. Every time he saw her...).

No amount of filler was going to straighten it, and the sunken edges were never going to look right.

So it sat, and quietly rusted while I pondered it, and played with other toys. For 18 months.

Then I bit the bullet, got medieval and forced myself to find a better solution.

No turning back.

This time I was serious about going straight.

(Could say I was laser focused).

Much better, straight and flatter.

So, trim, measure again, and puddle in slowly and generously.

Looked fug ugly at this point! But since the lockdown had me working without adult supervision, it was time for a quick grind, and on with the horn section.

This gave me lots of trouble, because to make it fit I had to trim the top back, which meant the curves didn't meet.

But, deep breath, and push on.

We'll sort the gaps later.

Before looking at prettying things up, I needed to run some 6mm rod into the edge of the legshield to stiffen the whole bike up.

This time I made a jig out of craftwood, and pre bent the basic shape.

Still a palaver to get done, but better than the last one I did.

In it went.

Those weld were never going to be able to stay like that, so the grind fest began, and went on for about 12 working hours. (Again, thank you Ginch for pointing that out!!!)

200 welds. 2 sides each. That's 400 cleanups.

I wire wheeled the entire body for good measure.

Time to make her curves match up.

This calls for some filling and sanding.

Which is a slow

But annoyingly painful

and steadily depressing

Process.

Which feels like 2 steps backwards for each step forwards.

Eventually though, it was close enough to go into the booth for an initial coating in epoxy.

Which gave me and idea of where I was at, and led to another 9 hours of rubbing and filling.

Back to the booth.

More epoxy priming. I'm starting to understand how to hit the curves without runs.

And she's taking shape

There's still a couple of small bits of obvious work needed, but I'm hopeful they won't be too onerous. Time will tell when I rub back this coat, but I may yet get her in high fill primer this week
bodgemaster
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:27 am quote
I feel so inadequate
Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:47 am quote
Proper nuts crazy awesome work!

Must feel good to be on the other side of the crooked horncast. Hate how stuff like that can derail motivation - on yah for pushing through. And FFS... measure twice, weld once eh.
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:02 pm quote
Taken a while but a resurrection beyond mortal man........ certainly a long way beyond me anyway.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:34 pm quote
Holy Crap - Amazing work man! Skills beyond skills. Far and away beyond any mere mortal. Wow...
Ossessionato

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm quote
I spy some PLC(?) engine reinforcement plates that are welded in?
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 pm quote
If the IT thing doesn't work out - you have a future in high end Italian car repair.
There will of course need to be red wine at lunch - and lots of espresso.
Can't believe its the same chassis.
Hooked
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:53 am quote
C'man, my IT career has been built upon bulk caffeine to get me going, and red wine to slow me down, so I reckon I'd be pretty happy.

Whodat - yep, I figured they're cheap insurance.

There's probably a bit of "instagram" beauty factor fooling you into thinking she's better than she is. I'm not trying to build a showbike ('cos I'm simply not capable), just doing what I can and learning on the job. The mechanic mate who helped teach me how to twirl spanners regularly reminded me that it's usually 5% knowledge, 5% talent, and 90% perspiration. She'll be ridden not hidden, and the execution is aiming for that.

The Epoxy got covered in guide coat dust

And removed using 400 grit and lots of elbow grease.

Back in the booth, no longer whte, now she's Filler/Primer grey.

Which means I'm up for a few more hours of rubbing off a guide coat.
Hooked
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 am quote
I did a night course a few years ago at a local TAFE learning to spraypaint. Actually, I mostly learnt to fill, prep, and sand, and learnt that most of the battle is those three.

My work partner in the class was an interesting girl who was studying because she wanted to give up her day job and get into painting cars as a new career. Apparently being a full time Dominatrix was no longer fulfilling. Go figure.

It was the instructor that pointed out that if she wanted to break someones spirit in the future, all she had to do was keep making them rub guide coat off curved surfaces.

I guess that makes me some kind of masochist.

Guide coat on (I need a new applicator)

90 minutes later

and 2 hours after that.

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:48 am quote
Absolutely amazing work, Ginch must be smiling ear to ear for steering you in the right direction.
Here I thought I was the only one that downed coffee to speed things up to warp speed and red wine to pump the brakes.
bodgemaster
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am quote
Beautiful work, and kudos to the janitorial staff. The absence of filler dust is impressive. Whoever is sweeping up (Ginch?) is doing a knockout job.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Beautiful work, and kudos to the janitorial staff. The absence of filler dust is impressive. Whoever is sweeping up (Ginch?) is doing a knockout job.
I'm about 130km's away and not allowed to go there under present lockdown laws. However I did leave him with my leaf blower...
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:08 pm quote
Quote:
I was the only one that downed coffee to speed things up to warp speed and red wine to pump the brakes
Is there another way?

Craig - this work is top notch - this and SoCal's work are making me feel defeated. Is that a thing?

This is gonna be one cool scoot.
Hooked
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 am quote
Tonight was finally time to get colour onto Buffy.

I'd thought hard about what colour to go with, and decided to go with Bright Platinum Metallic to match the SixFire I built a while back but haven't finished because I keep playing with scooters.

(Which might motivate me to finish it!!!).

I'd forgotten just what a bitch that particular colour is to spray - the basecoat is full of metal flake, and it will run the moment your technique slips.

And mine did.

First pass of a flake heavy metallic should be a light adhesion coat, and my muscle memory laid it on like clear.

Run city.

Luckily, it was just the first coat. So I soaked some rags with thinners, and in 30 minutes I'd rubbed it all off.

After another 30 minutes of air hosing it to fume out the thinners, I got back to it with a much lighter touch.

After a good scare, I was back in the groove, and with my earbuds in and smooth 80's classics rolling, 3 coats of Bright Platinum and 3 coats of clear flowed on really nicely.

Lots and lots of hours to get to here, and the proof will be in the pudding when it's in the sunlight sometime soon, but looking at it as it dried, I think it's a sub 3 foot combo of bodywork and paint job.

She's gonna be a beaut!
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:16 am quote
Gt6MK3 wrote:
Tonight was finally time to get colour onto Buffy.

I'd thought hard about what colour to go with, and decided to go with Bright Platinum Metallic to match the SixFire I built a while back but haven't finished because I keep playing with scooters.

(Which might motivate me to finish it!!!).

I'd forgotten just what a bitch that particular colour is to spray - the basecoat is full of metal flake, and it will run the moment your technique slips.

And mine did.

First pass of a flake heavy metallic should be a light adhesion coat, and my muscle memory laid it on like clear.

Run city.

Luckily, it was just the first coat. So I soaked some rags with thinners, and in 30 minutes I'd rubbed it all off.

After another 30 minutes of air hosing it to fume out the thinners, I got back to it with a much lighter touch.

After a good scare, I was back in the groove, and with my earbuds in and smooth 80's classics rolling, 3 coats of Bright Platinum and 3 coats of clear flowed on really nicely.

Lots and lots of hours to get to here, and the proof will be in the pudding when it's in the sunlight sometime soon, but looking at it as it dried, I think it's a sub 3 foot combo of bodywork and paint job.

She's gonna be a beaut!
Anything I paint is a moving 20 footer, looks great to me.
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 am quote
omg...more amazing paint & body work!

I'm not too worried about my painting skills, but I'm still intimidated about the body work, in particular hammer and dolly

As the guy who's currently in Wrench Jail with all my tools & projects in a storage locker until we can close on our house and move in, this is like torture.

I'm definitely going to be hitting the garage strong out of the gate, though, once I get moved.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:04 pm quote
Sure glad you didn't leave the horncast as is. Even though it added what, a couple of years? to the project and placed it in a very difficult time period... looks like it was the right decision.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12345
[ Time: 0.2259s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0864s) ][ Debug on ]