Performance Tuning - 2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie Non I-Get
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Member
2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Location: Panama, Panama
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:49 am quote
hi all,

i recently ordered an akrapovic exhaust and malossi high-flow air filter for my primavera. I've only installed the exhaust (came in the mail first). We dont have motorcycle/scooter dyno's in town. Havent upgraded variator/clutch yet.

My questions are the following:

- Would disconnecting the battery for a few hours be enough for an ECU reset? in a way for it recognize new O2 readings?
- Would I need some sort of Programmable ECU to tune it?

I'm not planing on racing it, nor modifying it heavily. Maybe Clutch/Variator, Brakes and Suspension (220lbs daily rider).

Would really like your input since i havent found enough info on this, at least for primaveras/sprints 150's
Enthusiast
Sprint 3v i.e. 150cc
Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Location: Singapore
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm quote
disconnecting the battery is sufficient enough for the ECU to re-learn new readings on the o2 sensor.

No you don't need a programmable ECU unless you have access to a dyno or tuning it with an A/F ratio gauge.

If you want better performance out of your primavera with your current set up, get the Malossi Lamba Emulator.

Also, i would not recommend swapping out variators, just change them out to lighter roller weights (13.5gr) and use a slightly stiffer contra spring (+700rpm?). I've used different set ups, Malossi, Polini etc, and i found that the stock clutch and variator works best.

Suspensions is a good upgrade.. but not too sure about brakes though.
Member
2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Location: Panama, Panama
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:41 am quote
ryanlionrawr wrote:
disconnecting the battery is sufficient enough for the ECU to re-learn new readings on the o2 sensor.

No you don't need a programmable ECU unless you have access to a dyno or tuning it with an A/F ratio gauge.

If you want better performance out of your primavera with your current set up, get the Malossi Lamba Emulator.

Also, i would not recommend swapping out variators, just change them out to lighter roller weights (13.5gr) and use a slightly stiffer contra spring (+700rpm?). I've used different set ups, Malossi, Polini etc, and i found that the stock clutch and variator works best.

Suspensions is a good upgrade.. but not too sure about brakes though.
Thanks man! I had my doubts about buying the complete thing vs buying rollers + spring, and also had the malossi/polini thing.. I live in Panama City, Panama we dont have parts and upgrades readily available, everything needs to be ordered from US or Europe.. mistakes come at a very high price.
Member
2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Location: Panama, Panama
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 am quote
My Primavera has 4700kms (2800mi) on it. Should I change the roller weights only or should I buy something else). Im a 1st time Vespa / CVT/ Scooter Owner and Im still wrapping my head arround it. I come from sports bikes and mid-sized adventure bikes, so this is totally new for me. I'm not quite a performance junky anymore but my daily commute does include steep hills (up and down). Adding Malossi free flow filter and Akrapovic exhaust (without the dbkiller) did make a difference but i still feel it could do better uphill and benefit from faster acceleration.

Any/all inputs are welcomed.

Malossi or Dr Pulley?
What else?

Im on a budget dont wanna go overboard (cylinder kit, etc etc, not ready for that yet. plus the scoot is fairly new)
Enthusiast
Sprint 3v i.e. 150cc
Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Location: Singapore
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 pm quote
I would suggest swapping out for lighter rollers first before committing to a total swap. Aftermarket variator kits tend to be lighter in weight with very light weights which produces a lot of unusable torque and unnecessary wear on your drive train. (The lighter the rollers, the higher RPM you will stay in) think of it as engaging sport mode on your car.

Playing around with roller weights will give you a much more consistent power band than stock. especially with mid-range power. MV members also took out their stock variator to buff and polish out rough edges on the ramps to slightly improve how the rollers slide.

Then i'd suggest swapping out to a slightly stiffer contra spring (the spring in your rear pulley) to hold higher RPMS. This will help maintain speed uphill instead of slowing down even at wide open throttle. too stiff a spring will have premature wear on your belt.

Being a 97kg rider myself, i've took out all of my aftermarket drivetrains and slapped the stock ones back with 15g Dr pulley sliders and the Polini blue contra spring. gives me a well rounded performance.

Did a Malossi big bore kit and experimenting every aftermarket part to give it more power. ended up doing an engine overhaul at 29,000km. because i was hard on throttle with high RPMs. Fun while it lasted, wheelies and all. But you know, with performance comes advanced wear and tear.

Tuning your CVT is about finding the right balance to your preference.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure the others members are able to give you more input on their experiences!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 4741
Location: South Carolina
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 pm quote
Re: Performance Tuning - 2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie Non I
jdcrx wrote:
hi all,

i recently ordered an akrapovic exhaust and malossi high-flow air filter for my primavera. I've only installed the exhaust (came in the mail first). We dont have motorcycle/scooter dyno's in town.
You don't need one. A Pipe and air filter don't make the sort of great changes that require a dyno to dial in.
Member
2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Location: Panama, Panama
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:54 am quote
ryanlionrawr wrote:
I would suggest swapping out for lighter rollers first before committing to a total swap. Aftermarket variator kits tend to be lighter in weight with very light weights which produces a lot of unusable torque and unnecessary wear on your drive train. (The lighter the rollers, the higher RPM you will stay in) think of it as engaging sport mode on your car.

Playing around with roller weights will give you a much more consistent power band than stock. especially with mid-range power. MV members also took out their stock variator to buff and polish out rough edges on the ramps to slightly improve how the rollers slide.

Then i'd suggest swapping out to a slightly stiffer contra spring (the spring in your rear pulley) to hold higher RPMS. This will help maintain speed uphill instead of slowing down even at wide open throttle. too stiff a spring will have premature wear on your belt.

Being a 97kg rider myself, i've took out all of my aftermarket drivetrains and slapped the stock ones back with 15g Dr pulley sliders and the Polini blue contra spring. gives me a well rounded performance.

Did a Malossi big bore kit and experimenting every aftermarket part to give it more power. ended up doing an engine overhaul at 29,000km. because i was hard on throttle with high RPMs. Fun while it lasted, wheelies and all. But you know, with performance comes advanced wear and tear.

Tuning your CVT is about finding the right balance to your preference.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure the others members are able to give you more input on their experiences!
Thanks man. You've been very helpful. Would you happen to have a part#/model for Polini Blue Spring? I get really confused as to what to order on ebay, ive found that scooter part descriptions arent the best.
Enthusiast
Sprint 3v i.e. 150cc
Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Location: Singapore
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm quote
jdcrx wrote:
Thanks man. You've been very helpful. Would you happen to have a part#/model for Polini Blue Spring? I get really confused as to what to order on ebay, ive found that scooter part descriptions arent the best.
no worries. glad to help! the part number for the Polini Blue Spring is 243.086

you can find it at SIP:https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/contrast+spring+polini+_p243084

I hope this helps!

Have fun riding
Member
2016 Vespa Primavera 150 3vie
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Location: Panama, Panama
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:05 pm quote
ryanlionrawr wrote:
jdcrx wrote:
Thanks man. You've been very helpful. Would you happen to have a part#/model for Polini Blue Spring? I get really confused as to what to order on ebay, ive found that scooter part descriptions arent the best.
no worries. glad to help! the part number for the Polini Blue Spring is 243.086

you can find it at SIP:https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/contrast+spring+polini+_p243084

I hope this helps!

Have fun riding
So I ended up ordering just the rollerweights for now as Im yet trying to trial/error different setups.. after riding it for a few weeks my reports are the following:

- Better / faster acceleration
- Reduced uphill speed loss
- 120km/h on flat straight road (awesome!)
- Fuel Economy (Who cares? its a vespa)
- No more backfiring when releasing the throtle (yes i had some before rollerweight installation, kind'a fun though)
- Was able to outrun a heavily modded PX150 w/ 177 bore kit, crankshaft, carb, etc etc etc
- Can easily outrun a stock primavera/sprint to the point i can let go of the throtle and WOT again just for fun while overtaking.. Not crazy fast though.. just mere FUN

As it sits:
- Malossi Hi-Flow Air Filter
- Malossi 12.5g RollerWeights
- Akrapovic Exhaust (currently with the dbkiller on)
- Malossi chili Red Oil Filter
- Everything Else BONE STOCK
Enthusiast
Sprint 3v i.e. 150cc
Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Location: Singapore
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:24 pm quote
that's great! ride safe!
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.8105s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1515s) ][ Debug on ]