Rear axle bearing WTF
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
61 VBB and 79 P200
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:09 pm quote
I have installed a few of these and almost every time I fuck it up. Whatís the secret? It seems either I canít get it installed flush or once I do it does not mesh well with the rear axle.

I am at my wits end as to how to do this correctly every time

BE3CF9F7-9A70-4897-BE3D-5F3034327DAB.jpeg

Lurker
'81 P200e
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:48 pm quote
Done a few in the same bike? How does your axle look, would be the common denominator at this point right?
P200 VNB Li125
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:28 am quote
Selector bearing right?

So I struggled through this recently...

Pretty miserable little bearing. Tried 5 different ways the winner was the method Hibbert and CharlieMan described to me.
Quote:
I didnt know better - so took a bit different approach.
- Inserted flat washer to case.
- Then pressed in race. Case hot - race cold.
- Then I put the roller bearings in from the side - with grease to hold
- Then put retainer in after all that. Don't bend it a lot - just enough to get it in place. Don't worry about aligning the retainer perfectly when inserting. Just put it in with limited compression. Then use a pic tool to slide roller bearings in to each slot. Voila.
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:46 am quote
Popgun'
If you just cant get the race to go in nicely for you - a six pack of beer and a visit to a machine shop that has a press is always an option.
With a press - it is about a 30 second job - and there is no set up time.
Just make sure to remember to put the washer in before they press the race!
Good luck!
Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:28 pm quote
orrr
I feel your pain. I got so sick of it i got an engineer to make up a bush so that i could use the nice needle roller type.....drilled the original hole bigger..and then pressed in bush with an inside diameter of the new type needle roller. BEst $100 nzd.....and have done it to three VBC now (the needle type bearing is also way cheaper)
good luck
Enthusiast
61 VBB and 79 P200
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 pm quote
Re: orrr
Bluecati wrote:
I feel your pain. I got so sick of it i got an engineer to make up a bush so that i could use the nice needle roller type.....drilled the original hole bigger..and then pressed in bush with an inside diameter of the new type needle roller. BEst $100 nzd.....and have done it to three VBC now (the needle type bearing is also way cheaper)
good luck
Where do I find these magical bearings you speak of?
Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:00 pm quote
use lml
the LML 150 selector box needle roller fits a later VBC engines....or you get a bush made up with and inside diameter to accept this new bearing and outside diameter to fit in the cases....no more freaky two piece roller bearing
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2829s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0505s) ][ Debug on ]