Wisconscoot 2018 Sept 21-23
Post Reply    Forum -> Rallies & Events Previous123Next
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:32 pm quote
Looks like, if I can make it at all, it will be solo.
And for Saturday only; I'd ride up in the early morning and go on that day's ride, then at latest after dinner return home.
Nice thing it, the forecast right now is for a low of 48F on Saturday morning.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Looks like, if I can make it at all, it will be solo.
And for Saturday only; I'd ride up in the early morning and go on that day's ride, then at latest after dinner return home.
Nice thing it, the forecast right now is for a low of 48F on Saturday morning.
Would be awesome to have you join us. A text either way would be appreciated, even Saturday morning. Promise we wouldn't leave without you. The restaurant is flexible about the reservation, so no worry about staying.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 500 - The Iridescent Chameleon, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125, 2016 Indian Scout Sixty
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:55 pm quote
If we end up having to reroute for road closures, it might be worth taking a look at some of the routes on this site:

https://DriftlessRoadAdventures.com/

I think Viroqua is in one of those map regions, though I'm not enough of an expert on Wisconsin geography to tell you which one...

I (more or less) rode the one around Galena, IL in early June and they were some pretty cool roads.

The owner of that site, Dale, was at the event in June, so I got to talk to him. Very cool guy. I actually just sent him an email to invite him to Wisconscoot, though I have no idea if he's already got plans or not...

Mark
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 pm quote
Mark,

I first assumed this was one of the sites I'd seen earlier that have been around for a while. It's something new, at least to me. I had a look at the ride covering Vernon county, and looks pretty interesting. At 240 miles, it might not work with our plans, but any sections could be picked. It's a bit too late, and no real incentive to start from scratch, but for future rides, it's a great resource.
Lurker
None :(
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:58 pm quote
Hi, I'm Dale Hoke. My wife and I created www.driftlessroadadventures.com. I just found this forum because one of your members invited me to the ride this weekend.

Unfortunately we can't make it, but I'm excited to meet some new riders through this forum. Since it is so close to the ride, you probably already have your routes set, but feel free to use our routes and website for points of interest, side trips or whatever.

Our route called the Blackhawk Trail route passes through Viroqua, and there are several other routes just a short ride away.

Also, if you don't mind sharing a picture or 2 with us, we are always looking for more pictures to post on our website.

We hope you all have a great weekend!
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 500 - The Iridescent Chameleon, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125, 2016 Indian Scout Sixty
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Mark,

I first assumed this was one of the sites I'd seen earlier that have been around for a while. It's something new, at least to me. I had a look at the ride covering Vernon county, and looks pretty interesting. At 240 miles, it might not work with our plans, but any sections could be picked. It's a bit too late, and no real incentive to start from scratch, but for future rides, it's a great resource.
Yeah, 240 miles sounds like a wonderful ride to me, but I'm well aware that not everyone in this group agrees...

And just doing part of it is pretty much exactly what the smaller groups I rode with did at the Galena event. Still they were great fun.

If Wisconscoot 2019 ends up on the west side of the state again, they seem like a great starting point. Maybe they'll help us avoid gravel for once...

For that matter, if we end up doing a short ride on Sunday morning again, maybe we'll want to take a look at the Vernon County one...

Mark
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm quote
Daleah wrote:
Hi, I'm Dale Hoke. My wife and I created www.driftlessroadadventures.com. I just found this forum because one of your members invited me to the ride this weekend.

Unfortunately we can't make it, but I'm excited to meet some new riders through this forum. Since it is so close to the ride, you probably already have your routes set, but feel free to use our routes and website for points of interest, side trips or whatever.

Our route called the Blackhawk Trail route passes through Viroqua, and there are several other routes just a short ride away.

Also, if you don't mind sharing a picture or 2 with us, we are always looking for more pictures to post on our website.

We hope you all have a great weekend!
Hey, Dale,

Thanks for introducing yourself. I've looked over a few of your routes, and they look more interesting than anything else I'd seen previously. Seems like a lot of the routes tend to hit larger highways a lot more than I tend to prefer. I tend to scratch out a route that looks interesting on Google maps, and I rarely get the chance to explore anything in advance. It does add to the adventure at times.

You're welcome to join us in the future! Hopefully will have a few photos to share.

Mark, I appreciate the leaning toward longer routes, but with potentially smaller scooters on the ride, and the varying interests of the group, it seems like 150 miles in a day is close to the sweet spot for a ride like this. As it is, we've had a good number of guys peel off from the group after lunch in the past. No problem with that, but I haven't wanted to schedule a hardcore route that's going to overwhelm a lot of riders.
Lurker
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:08 pm quote
Thanks for the feedback. We tried to avoid the major roads as mush as possible, but couldn't in all cases obviously.
Ossessionato
BV350, Yamaha Zuma 125, Yamaha FZ6, Kymco GrandVista 250
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am quote
Joe and I are driving down Friday morning. See y'all then!
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 am quote
Ride Distances for the Day
Fledermaus,

I completely agree with keeping the ride distance manageable. Our day
ride last week was 300 miles. To much! You have to fly at 65 miles per
hour on major roads for over half the ride to get home before 7pm.

Another point. We all enjoy the back road country riding in great scenery at a slower pace. Riding 170 miles on these desirable back roads eats up the
day when you factor in rest stops and lunch. Obviously, I like a slow pace on back roads. Despite my love of back roads, this love does not extend to dirt
roads. Those dirt roads are for farmers and cowboys in pickups with single shot shotguns and one eyed dogs.

The riders prayer, "Oh Lord, save me from Fledermaus and his dirt roads".

See you Friday. Werner and I are still planning on coming down on Thursday, probably in the rain. Friday through Sunday weather looks fine.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota

dsc05777_28943289376_o.jpg
Get Fired Up for Wisconscoot 2018

Lurker
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 am quote
Hey, I just saw that S&S cycles is having an event this weekend just East of Viola. that's just a short ride from Viroqua.

good luck with the weather everyone. I hope you all have a great time!!

Dale
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 am quote
Robert,

Agree with you on almost everything, but those roads weren't dirt.

5 different varieties of gravel though, yeah.
I never do it on purpose!

Are you bringing the microphone? I assiduously avoid towns with karaoke bars, you know.

Was a bit concerned about your ride down and the forecast, but you're an intrepid lot..... glad it's looking better towards the weekend. I don't mind grinding through rain to get somewhere as much as when I'm trying to relax and enjoy an outing....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 am quote
Weather
Looks like a great weekend....Thursday's up for grabs for you folks riding down from MPLS. Hope your rain gear is up to snuff. Maybe weather will have moved on by the time you leave....

https://wxow.com/weather/2018/09/19/heavy-rain-over-next-48-hours-may-lead-to-flooding/
Molto Verboso
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:01 pm quote
Initial Photos of this Excellent Scooter Rally
Thank you Dave for this "Maybe Best" Wisconscoot Rally.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota

30999095768_26c06e398b_o.jpg
Ten Hardy Souls Met in Viroqua for an excellent three days of riding.

44872015151_4d9e268d97_o.jpg
Our Fearless Leader Dave Langholff

44872003661_3a90388327_o.jpg
Looking out over the Might Mississipppi

44872011361_ed974e4f4b_o.jpg
Great overlooks selected by Dave L

Molto Verboso
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:15 pm quote
Photos of a Great Rally Wisconscoot 2018
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsyKnm5

You can view all the photos, or click on the first one and see them in
a slide show. In slide show click, on each one to enlarge the click again
and proceed.

I am sure more great photos of this exceptional ride will be added.

Bob Copeland
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 pm quote
Joe and I arrived home safely at 5:00. Wisconscoot 2018 was Awesome!

Well done, Dave!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:41 pm quote
Finally sorting out the rest of my pictures. You guys are right on the spot!

We lucked out again on weather....well, not so much at the beginning, but in 4 years we've never cancelled a ride nor been particularly uncomfortable....though Friday's wind was more than necessary.

I agree it was a great weekend. It was really great to get together with a group of riding friends, many of whom I'd only met via Wisconscoot. Four years ago, I just wanted a couple of scooterists to ride in Western Wisconsin with, and enjoy the hills, winding road and coulees that are seemingly everywhere there. It became much larger than I'd ever envisioned, with folks who I consider true friends and absolutely love riding with. To their credit, they've put up with my initial lack of experience, ongoing bumbling navigation, and inevitable discovery of gravel roads.

Kraig surprised me at our Saturday night dinner with a copy of the newly released "The Life-Vespa" signed by everyone, as thanks for the work of organizing the event. It wasn't necessary, but all the same, very much appreciated. I guess we'll be back next year.

As for today, got home around 4 after 3+ hours of driving. The route I chose had a detour that I'd forgotten about until seeing the sign. On the plus side, I got to ride a pretty nice stretch of highway I wouldn't have otherwise.

Once I get my photos sorted, I'll see what else I have to share here....

Bok.jpg

Ossessionato
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:06 pm quote
I also arrived home at about 3:45, but I ended up calling my dad to come meet me with the trailer part way as I was starting to get REALLY nervous about my front tires. It went from "getting low on tread, but I should be OK" when I left home, to "AGH! Not only are there cords showing, THEY'RE starting to fray!" by the time I left Wisconsin. I dropped the air pressure so I'd get a larger contact patch, but that made the riding no fun as I was constantly having to muscle it to turn...

Even still, I had a great time with you guys and I'm already looking forward to next year!

Mark
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 pm quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
I also arrived home at about 3:45, but I ended up calling my dad to come meet me with the trailer part way as I was starting to get REALLY nervous about my front tires. It went from "getting low on tread, but I should be OK" when I left home, to "AGH! Not only are there cords showing, THEY'RE starting to fray!" by the time I left Wisconsin. I dropped the air pressure so I'd get a larger contact patch, but that made the riding no fun as I was constantly having to muscle it to turn...

Even still, I had a great time with you guys and I'm already looking forward to next year!

Mark
I think I remember looking at those with you. Didn't seem *quite* that bad, but IMO things can get a bit unpredictable at the end..... Anyway, glad you made it in one piece. AFAIK a casualty-free ride for a change. Edit: Erm, no loss of life or limb reported.

I'll look forward to next year after a good night's sleep.

Last edited by fledermaus on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
2015 Sprint 150ABS
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:39 pm quote
Here are a few photos. I'll see if I can figure out how to post video later.

Screenshot 2018-09-22 20.01.08.png

Screenshot 2018-09-22 20.09.40.png

Screenshot 2018-09-23 00.34.46.png

Screenshot 2018-09-23 00.38.18.png

2015 Sprint 150ABS
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:47 pm quote
And a few more.

Screenshot 2018-09-21 21.14.22.png

Screenshot 2018-09-21 20.58.11.png

Screenshot 2018-09-21 20.48.54.png

Hooked
GTS 250...LX-V...Fiddle II
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
CubsKing99 wrote:

Mark
I think I remember looking at those with you. Didn't seem *quite* that bad, but IMO things can get a bit unpredictable at the end..... Anyway, glad you made it in one piece. AFAIK a casualty-free ride for a change.

I'll look forward to next year after a good night's sleep.
Casualty free? Did someone ask for it? It may have been my own jinxing, having discussed the issue once or twice during the weekend. It may have been as a cherry on top of winning the prestigious Wisconsin Motor Grader plaque at the awards dinner. As it happens, I had my belt blow as I approached Lake Geneva. Sat on route 12 for almost two hours until the tow truck brought me home. All in all a smooth road casualty. On top of the blown exhaust gasket casualty, the flooded gas tank and pet carrier casualty and the fumigated motel room from trying to clean the soaking gas rags casualty. Ah, and the slick dark ring around the bathtub from the rag washing casualty. Can't wait until next year.
2015 Sprint 150ABS
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:42 am quote
gitder wrote:
Casualty free? Did someone ask for it? It may have been my own jinxing, having discussed the issue once or twice during the weekend. It may have been as a cherry on top of winning the prestigious Wisconsin Motor Grader plaque at the awards dinner. As it happens, I had my belt blow as I approached Lake Geneva. Sat on route 12 for almost two hours until the tow truck brought me home. All in all a smooth road casualty. On top of the blown exhaust gasket casualty, the flooded gas tank and pet carrier casualty and the fumigated motel room from trying to clean the soaking gas rags casualty. Ah, and the slick dark ring around the bathtub from the rag washing casualty. Can't wait until next year.
Bummer on the belt mishap. Good luck finding someone to room with next year. The word is out about you.
2015 Sprint 150ABS
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:43 am quote
Re: Photos of a Great Rally Wisconscoot 2018
Bob Copeland wrote:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsyKnm5

You can view all the photos, or click on the first one and see them in
a slide show. In slide show click, on each one to enlarge the click again
and proceed.

I am sure more great photos of this exceptional ride will be added.

Bob Copeland
Nice photos Bob! Thanks!
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 am quote
oakwoodjoe wrote:
gitder wrote:
Bummer on the belt mishap. Good luck finding someone to room with next year. The word is out about you.

Sorry about the belt. I hope the Golden Grader isn't a jinx.
Let's be glad the casualties were all easy repairs for scooters, not injuries to flesh & bones.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
CubsKing99 wrote:
It went from "getting low on tread, but I should be OK" when I left home, to "AGH! Not only are there cords showing, THEY'RE starting to fray!" by the time I left Wisconsin.
I think I remember looking at those with you. Didn't seem *quite* that bad, but IMO things can get a bit unpredictable at the end.....
Yeah, they were checked several times. After Friday's ride, they were basically down to slick. At noon Saturday, they were developing some wear spots. By the end of Saturday, they were almost a solid ring of wear through. By the time I broke off on Sunday, they were showing cords. By the time I stopped, they were getting really sketchy...

And they only had like 3600 miles, which is really low for my bike...

Mark
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 am quote

Sorry about the belt, Derrick. At least you made it closer to home, but still. I think I'll have to edit my comments.

I don't want to rub it in, but remember that discussion about preventative maintenance? You had me all relaxed about obsessing about changing out rubber stuff and made me think I should chill a bit...... *clears throat*

Well, at least you had the grader to play with while you were waiting...

Edit: And all the while I was worried about your exhaust gasket blowing out the rest of the way. Would have been far better...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 am quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
CubsKing99 wrote:
It went from "getting low on tread, but I should be OK" when I left home, to "AGH! Not only are there cords showing, THEY'RE starting to fray!" by the time I left Wisconsin.
I think I remember looking at those with you. Didn't seem *quite* that bad, but IMO things can get a bit unpredictable at the end.....
Yeah, they were checked several times. After Friday's ride, they were basically down to slick. At noon Saturday, they were developing some wear spots. By the end of Saturday, they were almost a solid ring of wear through. By the time I broke off on Sunday, they were showing cords. By the time I stopped, they were getting really sketchy...

And they only had like 3600 miles, which is really low for my bike...

Mark
It's possible they had an identity crisis and though they were Shinkos.....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:06 am quote
oakwoodjoe wrote:
gitder wrote:
Oh, that's gotta hurt.

Even with the gas event I'd have him back. Just don't listen to his belt advice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:26 am quote
I appreciate all of the positive comments, guys, but I need to thank you all for making me look good. With one or two exceptions in past years, every one of the riders is competent and well-behaved. I've been on rides where if I could magically make someone disappear..... You are, to a person, competent, supportive, understanding, and perhaps most necessary, forgiving of my screw-ups.

Just popped into my mind the discussion I'd had with my wife when our daughter was young....she all these ideas on how to organize people and tell them what to do. I suggested to my wife that she had great leadership potential, to which she responded, "yes, but she needs someone who wants to follow her."

True, that.

And as far as the routes go, it's kind of hard to go wrong in SW Wisconsin....pick the right size road with enough squiggliness and it's hard to lose. Except with gravel. There's always gravel.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am quote
oakwoodjoe wrote:
gitder wrote:
Hey, they're always welcome to share a campground with me!

Not my tent, though. It's barely big enough for me to sleep in, laying diagonally from corner to corner. But that's what you get when you buy a "Junior Scout" tent because it's the only one you can find at Walmart that's small enough to fit under the seat of an MP3...

Mark
Molto Verboso
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am quote
Great Riding Photos
Mark,

Excellent on the road shots.

Thanks,

Bob Copeland
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:07 pm quote
Re: Great Riding Photos
Bob Copeland wrote:
Mark,

Excellent on the road shots.

I'm thinking you meant Joe.... credit where credit's due. I learned my lesson after stealing one of his jokes. Thank goodness we don't have attorneys in this group.

Anyway, yes, great shots. I should get a GoPro sometime. I think your mount gets it right, especially for ease of use.

I think we should hire you on as official Wisconscoot photographer....at least for the action segments. We can let Bob nail the social category.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:14 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
I should get a GoPro sometime.
I did post a message last year when Menards had their FauxPro's on sale...

And I've got a couple of those kicking around somewhere at the house, if you're interested. Don't know if I still have all the mounts and stuff, but...

Mark
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:29 pm quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
I should get a GoPro sometime.
I did post a message last year when Menards had their FauxPro's on sale...

And I've got a couple of those kicking around somewhere at the house, if you're interested. Don't know if I still have all the mounts and stuff, but...

Mark
Actually it was a bit of an inside joke....but thought you were there last year when I attempted to fasten my good GoPro to my topcase. Seemed dicey, but had my tether. Fell off a few blocks out and dragged and caught the wheel. It's still in pieces, but may yet live again. My wife actually forgave me and bought me a stripped down GoPro for Christmas, just after I bought one of those Menard's babies.

So thanks, but I have plenty, but didn't get that stuff set up on the mirror mount...and when I did, left my data card in the hotel.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm quote
Yes, I was there. That's why I said I sent the message about it last year...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm quote
CubsKing99 wrote:
Yes, I was there. That's why I said I sent the message about it last year...
You're right. Might be why I ran out and got one...that or it just fell into my cart.

I have a great memory, it's just short.
2015 Sprint 150ABS
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:19 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
I'm thinking you meant Joe.... credit where credit's due. I learned my lesson after stealing one of his jokes. Thank goodness we don't have attorneys in this group.

Anyway, yes, great shots. I should get a GoPro sometime. I think your mount gets it right, especially for ease of use.

I think we should hire you on as official Wisconscoot photographer....at least for the action segments. We can let Bob nail the social category.
You pay in cheese curds? Do I need to split the curds with Bob or will he get his own?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 am quote
oakwoodjoe wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

You pay in cheese curds? Do I need to split the curds with Bob or will he get his own?
I'll get a bigger bag.
Molto Verboso
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:49 am quote
The Ride Home to Minnesota
Werner and I bid farewell to our riding mates and headed home at 8:30am
on Sunday morning. We did not do the fast route home up the Missisippi.
Rather, we headed North further East of the Mississippi to Arcadia and lunch at
Durand then over to Prescot WI and home at last in Minnesota.

We headed toward La Crosse then swung North on Hwy M just outside of
Coon Valley WI. Beautiful Sunny ride and the end of an outstanding four days
on the road.

Dave, our ride leader is to humble. He planned an amazing ride route through hills and valleys of this great area. Hope to see all of you on the road in the future. Great ride, outstanding people.

Bob Copeland and Werner Kohler
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota

Werner and Bob.jpg
Thanks everyone from the ride geezers - which should also include Russ Bees.

Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Rallies & Events Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.3680s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0530s) ][ Debug on ]