Vespa GTS Sport, Yamaha Xmax 300, or BMW C400x
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:22 pm quote
Ive got to STRONGLY recommend you test ride a BV350. The more I ride mine the more I love it. Extremely capable scoot and quite enjoyable to ride. (Im 5-11, 190 lbs. for what its worth).
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:14 pm quote
zwniana wrote:
Seeing many matte finishes in Europe for the Xmas and they look awesome.
Fa la la la la la la la la. For the record, I have typed Xmas instead of Xmax a time or twelve. Glad it isn't just me.
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:46 pm quote
Igor76 wrote:
Hi. I`ve just purchased x max 300 few days ago. I didn`t find it any big or heavy during test ride, it gave me feel of confidence from the very first minute.
Any updates igor76 on the driving experience
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:46 pm quote
Igor76 wrote:
Hi. I`ve just purchased x max 300 few days ago. I didn`t find it any big or heavy during test ride, it gave me feel of confidence from the very first minute.
Any updates igor76 on the driving experience
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am quote
Xmax it is...
So, I had a chance to ride both the GTS and the XMAX in Europe this summer. I am not an official XMAX owner. Although the GTS is a gorgeous and great scooter, the price and handling compared the XMAX was the deciding factor. So far I have owned it for 2 days and love it so far.

I do have a bunch of stuff leftover from the ET4 that I think I may simply bundle and put on the site if anyone wants to buy. Including manifolds, filters, tools, spark plugs, racks, lights, etc. etc.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:24 pm quote
Re: Xmax it is...
zwniana wrote:
So far I have owned it for 2 days and love it so far.
Photos.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:04 pm quote
zwniana wrote:
I am not an official XMAX owner..... So far I have owned it for 2 days and love it so far.
So, what does it take to become official? I'm with Sledge BTW. Photos would be good.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 pm quote
I have heard nothing but great things about the Xmax. I still haven't seen one in person- I have to fix that this week. If the seating position is similar to the BV things may get interesting. I see that Piaggio is raising the price on the new BV by $200.00 and my closest Piaggio/Vespa dealer is 80 miles away and I'm not getting any younger. Lately, I find myself looking for less stressful ways of dealing with things. The Yamaha dealer is about 14 miles away. I wouldn't get rid of my "vintage" BV200, but I would get rid of my Honda Reflex to make room!

Bob
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 am quote
Here is the XMAX.... LoVe

Rides different than a vespa. Not as much of a scooter feel.

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

Hooked
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 am quote
I checked out the xmax a few weekends ago. Over all very nice scooter. However my first impressions were #1. WOW that thing is HUGE! #2. So much plastic. Everyone who rides one really loves them they should do well with sales.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 pm quote
zwniana wrote:

Looks great! I think I may really like these. Is the riding position "upright" similar to your Vespa? I can no longer (Lord knows I've tried) to ride a maxi-scooter with the laid back riding position. First it was too hard on my cervical spine but now my hips lock up. Way too dangerous and painful. I really love the white.

Bob
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm quote
Deathshead wrote:
WOW that thing is HUGE! .
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw a BV350 close up last week as I was seriously thinking of adding one to the stable.
Wheelbase BV 350 = 1560mm
Xmax = 1540mm
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:58 pm quote
That particular Xmax of yours looks quite nice. Glad you seem to be getting on with it. Keep us posted as you (hopefully) pile the miles up on it!
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:13 am quote
Compared to your avatar, the Xmax looks like they forgot to paint some parts white. Too much black, needs more color.
Hooked
No scoot at the moment, but thinking GTS 300, 2017 V-Strom 650
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:03 pm quote
Congrats on the XMax! I have a white TMax, and I love it. Had a GTS 250 and a BV350 previously. All are excellent bikes, and frankly the BV & the TMax are better motorcycles than the 2017 Honda CB500F I had last summer.

Keep us up to date with riding impressions and other fun facts. Wish we were getting the XMax here, but no such luck.
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 am quote
im sticking around...
I enjoy this forum so much that although I bought an XMAX I will still stay on the forum because I learn so much from you all... Thank you!

to be honest, because of this forum I was really considering a GTS the price was just much more for my budget right now.
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 am quote
When I was shopping around a few months ago, I checked out the Xmax - it looks like a great bike, but it didn't fit me as well as a GTS (which I wound up buying used). I wasn't able to take the Xmax for a demo ride. The reviews it gets on other sites have all been positive.

Congrats on the new scoot!
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:40 am quote
I'd like someone to point me to a negative review they've read in the past 20 years. If the mag or website wants advertising $$$, you can bet the ranch that the reviews will be positive. Maybe one negative comment buried nine paragraphs down, but overwhelmingly positive.

Screw reviews. Go sit on and test ride anything you're interested in. If the dealer says no test rides, move on to another dealer like I did and buy it there.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:48 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Screw reviews. Go sit on and test ride anything you're interested in. If the dealer says no test rides, move on to another dealer like I did and buy it there.
THIS!!!
Ossessionato
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:50 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I'd like someone to point me to a negative review they've read in the past 20 years. If the mag or website wants advertising $$$, you can bet the ranch that the reviews will be positive. Maybe one negative comment buried nine paragraphs down, but overwhelmingly positive.

Sage advice.

TBH I love both my rides. Since this thread started I've put about 1,500 more KM's of hard riding on the BMW and it's a blast. Screw the maintenance cost if you can afford it. These things are all relative.

BUT - I also love my Vespa and it gets all the upgrades. They really are very different rides and both have a lot going for them. FWIW both review well but the BMW does get dinged for price and upkeep.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am quote
Congrats on the Yamaha!
MV is a trove of scoot knowledge but some other forums will cover your brand even more. Come visit ADV- "Battle Scooters".
I came in late here but read the posts and feel you chose well. I've owned the Vespa over 2 years and it fits my ergos better than yours but I did consider Yamaha & Kymco before I bought. I will add some general comments:
Many carp that BMW's are high cost to own-that can vary greatly with the owners willingness/ability to perform basic maintenance learn a few basics and really know your machine. I can assure you that if you get up close & personal with that scoot you'll see things the dealer people miss. There's value added to see things that matter before you ride further. My e.g. will be a private pilot who may not wrench but must know how to pre-flight their aircraft.

Given your statements about a dealer being close mattering, you made a good choice for you but I find most any part of any brand (not a classic,etc.) can come to my door quickly. Our UPS and FedEx drivers know us well in rural areas. Parts are typically not all sitting in dealerships or even parts stores in today's world nor do they always cost what people think brand wise. Those of us who have wrenched for money know that all parts tend to be pricey bought at retail and that discussion could go on too long. Some of the most overpriced parts I have bought over many years have been on common everyday PTW's or cars/trucks, not just high dollar vehicles.
Speed came up early in the thread. Other than having enough power for the riding you do, speed is more relative to rider skill, road & traffic conditions and weather. I know a SMAX rider who's 14.8 hp Yamaha is real hard to keep up with on curvy roads for my bigger engine Vespa!
Keep us posted on how you like the new scoot.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 pm quote
zwniana wrote:

Good looking scooter. Enjoy the hell out of it!
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 pm quote
Just wanted to update you guys on the US XMAX. Still love it and trying to finish breaking it in to take care of the first service

What I like:
ABS
Dual Helmet under seat carrier (size in general of the carrier)
Front Shield
Easy to see oil, brake fluid levels and coolant levels
its fast...

What I need to get used to:
Not as nimble as Vespa
Plastic body feels cheaper than Vespa (as do many of its parts)
Center Stand is a lot heavier
No fun accessory such as cup holder
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:35 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I went to the local Yamaha dealership and sat on an Xmax.

They are Big!

At that moment I truly realized that I am a Vespa rider. I see no reason to have something that big when the Vespa does everything I need.

Because you only ride short distances, the GTS will be much easier to use to get around town.

And it is so cool.

Bill
How's that working out for you???
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:42 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I went to the local Yamaha dealership and sat on an Xmax.

They are Big!

At that moment I truly realized that I am a Vespa rider. I see no reason to have something that big when the Vespa does everything I need.

Because you only ride short distances, the GTS will be much easier to use to get around town.

And it is so cool.

Bill
How's that working out for you???
BUSTED!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:44 pm quote
zwniana wrote:
Just wanted to update you guys on the US XMAX. Still love it and trying to finish breaking it in to take care of the first service

What I like:
ABS
Front Shield
its fast...

Not as nimble as Vespa
Just curious if you ever test-rode a BV350 and if so, how it compared to the XMAX.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 pm quote
[quote="Harbinger"]
Vintage1 wrote:

Agree 100%.

Of all the bike reviewers who write in English, I've found Julia LaPalme's reviews closest to my own impressions. She points out the negative stuff too. She should do more reviews...but she is a good photographer too.

https://sheadv.com/portfolio-items/julia-lapalme/

I'm privileged (...) to be able to read Finnish reviews - both car and bike journalists around here are mostly brutal in their honesty....in a way true to the trad. national character. If you innocently greet a Fin by saying "How you doin'?", there's a good change you'll end up listening the story of his/her life.....but the good part of these honest reviews is that they really help you to focus on the right direction vs. your own preferences.
Addicted
lx 50
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:17 am quote
Ill just chime in with my findings having just gone from a Vespa LX50 to the XMAX 125.

I truly loved my LX, but being 65 I wanted something physically bigger, 125, and under 2k or there abouts.

Only a very few GTs come up locally at that price (none when I was looking or would have probably got one).
Peugeot Django was on the cards too but again none at my price point when looking.

The XMAX came up locally at the right price. I went for a look and test ride and knew immediately this was the one for me. Big, comfy, stable, good looking (mostly like me).
Ive never felt so secure on 2 wheels...... makes me doubly wary though lol.
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 am quote
northernerbill wrote:
being 65
I'd love to see a photo of you on your Xmax
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:53 am quote
Sledge wrote:
northernerbill wrote:
being 65
Yes, and post it next to a photo of you on your LX 50.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:03 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
BUSTED!!
Yes, I had been looking for a new scooter to add to the three old GTs I have had for years. The GTs are great and will remain my go to scooter for most rides.

But after leading a new GTS down I-10 recently, the rider told me that he had to run wide open to keep up with Rocket, my 2006, 88,000 mile GT. I still had throttle to give.

So I bought an Xmax.

Faster, cheaper, practical, dealers in every town. It will be perfect for my next cross country ride.

Vespas are cooler, but this Yamaha is very capable and nice to ride.

So far, I really like it.

But I rode Razzo yesterday and it was sweet.

Bill
Addicted
lx 50
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:33 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Sledge wrote:
northernerbill wrote:
being 65
Trying to grasp why firstly lol, but the LX is long gone and Im camera shy so doubt there will be any pics of me posing on the XMAX anytime soon sorry.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 pm quote
northernerbill wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Sledge wrote:
northernerbill wrote:
being 65
Trying to grasp why firstly lol, but the LX is long gone and Im camera shy so doubt there will be any pics of me posing on the XMAX anytime soon sorry.
Who said you needed to be in the picture.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:15 pm quote
northernerbill wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Sledge wrote:
northernerbill wrote:
being 65
By definition can one who rides a Vespa be camera shy? Don't we all ride these beautiful beasts to get attention?
Hooked
2018 XMAX
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:09 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
zwniana wrote:

What I like:
ABS
Front Shield
its fast...

Not as nimble as Vespa
Just curious if you ever test-rode a BV350 and if so, how it compared to the XMAX.
never had a chance to drive a BV
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm quote
zwniana wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
zwniana wrote:

What I like:
ABS
Front Shield
its fast...

Not as nimble as Vespa
never had a chance to drive a BV
May the Lord have mercy on your soul.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 am quote
The new Xmax has been my go-to scooter since I bought it in early October.

2900 miles so far.

After getting used to the larger size than the Vespas, and because I don't really have to look at it while riding it, the only real issue has been it's reaction to turbulence while riding faster than 60 mph or so.

I tried the stock screen in both positions, actually found it better in the low position. But still a lot of drumming on my helmet.

So I ordered a Puig screen, about 6" taller than the stock screen, Wider too.

I ordered it from Revzilla on Thursday. It arrived at my office the next day.

It took a few miles to get used to the height, I look out over the top if I sit up straight. Look through it when I slouch, but it works fine.

The turbulence now has a minimal effect and I am comfortable right up to its 85+ mph top speed.

It is turning into a great touring scooter. Highly recommended.

Bill

IMG_4650.JPG

Addicted
lx 50
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:31 am quote
Having had mine a month now, in use pretty much everyday for commutes, Im smitten with my XMAX.
Its clearly way bigger then my old LX but just as easy to filter, the size and weight make it feel extremely safe and sturdy in the strong winds weve been having here in the U.K.

The trip shows my average speed is 18mph, which would explain the massive mpg Im now getting.....I maxed the mpg at 99.9 lol last week. 10 sees it full, 9 on the LX, but Im getting double the distance (the LX was tuned and 70cc though).

Anyway the only thing I can see me trading this in for is another XMAX.

Picture is from todays Remembrance ride from Brighton to Newhaven Fort for the service there.

9EA75553-50DF-4C7F-97EF-955A071FE82C.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:34 pm quote
Looking at the photos here of the Xmax, Leuthold's has 'sticking out' indicators and northernbill's has them integrated. So does this difference relate to year models or is it a country's vehicle rules? Thanks.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:53 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Looking at the photos here of the Xmax, Leuthold's has 'sticking out' indicators and northernbill's has them integrated. So does this difference relate to year models or is it a country's vehicle rules? Thanks.
US DOT likes wider spacing between them then UK and EU.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.3243s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0358s) ][ Debug on ]