Prices
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Banned

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:44 pm quote
I am curious.

What makes the vintage vespa world think rare vespa parts/running bikes are supposed to be dirt cheap?

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 68 SS180, 81 100 Sport
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:14 pm quote
Ignorance

"But its just a scooter...."
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:56 pm quote
prices
well I'm not sure everyone thinks that way. The ones that bring the money are the ones that are for the most part old and original. i have an all original 55 vespa allstate that I'm into thousands of dollars. My thoughts are you get what you pay for. I'm sure others feel differently, but that is how I look at it.
Vespa P125X, Stella 2T
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:01 pm quote
I have said this in another thread but I have found the vintage Vespa market to be similar to the VW Beetle market. It seems that those in the know will pay for the rarer models while the general public thinks that all Vespas are the same and should be cheap.
Hooked
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 pm quote
TromboneBob wrote:
I have said this in another thread but I have found the vintage Vespa market to be similar to the VW Beetle market. It seems that those in the know will pay for the rarer models while the general public thinks that all Vespas are the same and should be cheap.
+1 THIS!

I have been into the Vespa world for 20+ years, and was also into the VW world for a time. Those that are knowledgable and have studied about the history and availability, will pay the (sometimes high) prices for the rare bikes and/or parts. Those that dont have the knowledge, or havn't done research, or are just 'casually interested; make their own assumptions as to what prices "should be". These types usually have a predetermined idea of what is "reasonable", which is generally too low for what the real market is.

Fact is that these original scooters, and parts; are a finite collectable resource; with the used resale market primarily being controlled by the enthusiasts. You gotta pay to play.

Lets also keep in mind that we are all different type of Vespa enthusiasts. Some of us like to just collect, because they are (or can be) valuable. Some like to wrench and build and sweat into our personal scooters. Some like to tune and push the limits of these motors. Some like to pay someone else to do all the work of mechanics and painting, others love the sight of greasy hands and busted knuckles. Some like to ride stock, and ride em all over till the motor explodes from mileage and neglect. Mods, scooter boys, concours restoration sticklers, tuners, and all inbetween. Its all about passion for these old machines. But then you still have those that just want a 'retro' scooter because its
Quote:
cool
, and cheap; but dont have any understanding what they really take to buy, keep and maintain. They can learn if they want to.... I've found most of these end up selling their scoot's because they are too expensive and takes too much work....
Banned

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:37 pm quote
GeekLion wrote:
also into the VW world for a time.
Amazing how so many Vespa guys are VW guys too, this makes 3 of us in this one short thread
Hooked
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:42 pm quote
Crawdad23 wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
also into the VW world for a time.
Amazing how so many Vespa guys are VW guys too, this makes 3 of us in this one short thread
Yeah I have noticed the same! Vespas + VW's just seem to go hand in hand. Air cooled, uni-body, small motors with lots of potential; and oh that style a plenty
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:40 pm quote
Prices
I used to be in the VW seen as well....so that makes four. I had a 1955 oval ragtop vw bug. Drove it all through college with all 36 horsepower. Again like I said most of what I collected was totally original. Thatís what brought the money.
Like some others have said....itís what ever your into. Everybody has there own thing. Thatís what makes the hobby move along.
Hooked
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:02 pm quote
Full disclosure, I got into Vespa's/scooters/ VW's because I saw them and thought they were 'cool'. Dove in head first! We all have our entry point, so no judgement towards anyone. I'm a hands on person, so I like to get my hands dirty and I enjoy the pride and confidence knowing that I 'did it myself'.

I had a '61 T1 ragtop, with a 1850, slammed; swapped late model trans to eliminate the granny 1st gear. Daily driver for many years and was a blast every day. My brothers had a '67 bug and a '71 westfallia. Good family cruise session memories.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1192s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0289s) ][ Debug on ]