2018 LIBERTY 150i Gear Oil change
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:06 pm quote
Manual says "Hub oil" gets inspected at 6000 miles, and then inspected again at every 6K miles. Not sure how you inspect the level in a metal case with any certainty.
Well, I've 1600miles on my scoot - so I changed the gear oil out today.
Use Honda Pro 80W-90 in my scooters....per my dealer rec. (some 55 miles to the nearest bottle of Italian stuff)

The drain and fill allen head bolts are 6mm - & being factory shot are wicked tight like everything else on this scoot.
Wouldn't advise using a 1/4" allen wrench - it sorta fits but this fastener is so tight you'll risk rounding off the bolt or your wrench.

6mm

Collect the copper washers under each 6mm fastener.

[/url]

Manual says it holds 325ml. It does!

Filled with 236ml. from the Honda squirt bottle, then syringed 89ml. from the measuring cup.
O.S.

Last edited by OldSchooot on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 pm quote
Assuming I understood correctly, I'm not clear why you did this service so early?

In terms of inspection, isn't there a dipstick to inspect / validate the proper level?
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 am quote
berto wrote:
Assuming I understood correctly, I'm not clear why you did this service so early?

In terms of inspection, isn't there a dipstick to inspect / validate the proper level?
1) It's an affliction -- but my therapist is very encouraged.
2) Nope.

O.S.
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 am quote
OldSchooot wrote:
berto wrote:

2) Nope.

O.S.
#2 sounds strange, as I have never heard of a modern scoot without a hub oil dipstick. I am sure you already checked the owner's manual, and I have never seen one of these bikes myself.

I was able to find a user manual online for (I think) your bike, and it seems to show a hub dipstick right where I'd expect one.

liberty hub oil.jpg

Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 pm quote
berto wrote:
OldSchooot wrote:
berto wrote:

2) Nope.

O.S.
#2 sounds strange, as I have never heard of a modern scoot without a hub oil dipstick. I am sure you already checked the owner's manual, and I have never seen one of these bikes myself.

I was able to find a user manual online for (I think) your bike, and it seems to show a hub dipstick right where I'd expect one.
I have owned only 4 scooters in the past 5 years (Kymco LIKE200i, 2013 SUZUKI Burgman 400, 2016 Honda NSS300 Forza and this 2018 Piaggio Liberty) and I was never able to locate the gear oil dip stick in any of them.

Strange indeed.
O.S.
Lurker
2019 Liberty 50 4T 3V Montebianco White 544
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:16 pm quote
Honda vs. Castrol or AGIP ENI Lubricants
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, so please be gentle.

Couple weeks ago I purchased a new 2019 Liberty 50, mostly for my daughter's in-town use. I love riding it. Anyway, there is a "Castrol" sticker under the seat near the other stickers. My manual also recommends Castrol lubricants. I planned on buying that brand when I do my 1,000km first service. I am curious what might have prompted your dealer to recommend Honda lube for the rear hub. Any ideas? Did your scooter have a Castrol or perhaps other brand oil sticker and/or recommendation in the manual? Thanks much! PS My Liberty's rear hub has a dipstick, FWIW.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:49 pm quote
Re: Honda vs. Castrol or AGIP ENI Lubricants
bentfins wrote:
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, so please be gentle.

Couple weeks ago I purchased a new 2019 Liberty 50, mostly for my daughter's in-town use. I love riding it. Anyway, there is a "Castrol" sticker under the seat near the other stickers. My manual also recommends Castrol lubricants. I planned on buying that brand when I do my 1,000km first service. I am curious what might have prompted your dealer to recommend Honda lube for the rear hub. Any ideas? Did your scooter have a Castrol or perhaps other brand oil sticker and/or recommendation in the manual? Thanks much! PS My Liberty's rear hub has a dipstick, FWIW.
Super! Not many of us Liberty owners on here. What color did you get?
As for the lubricants for your scooter - Castrol is good stuff, too.
No stickers on my scoot - except for the 'eni' sticker I put on it to make it go faster.

My owner's manual encourages 'eni' lubricants and fluids - but my Vespa dealer folded his tent soon after my purchase.
Long-time local multi=brand dealer has had me using Honda Pro gear oil for years in all 4 of my scooters.
Liberty manual specifies "80W90 G4" - which you can see is the same as the Honda stuff.

And my Liberty manual (while warning me that I will be criticized for not using the dip stick) - advises use of a "shank/plug" to probe this hole for proper level of gear oil in the case.

The always clever Vietnamese have camouflaged the dispstick on my 150i so that it looks like a rear tire.

I like to know what is in my scooters - so I am quick to replace delivery oils, check the valves and air filter, and spin in a new Iridium plug. Plus it really seems to irritate some.....I love that!😊

Enjoy your scooter - it's a great bike!

O.s.
Lurker
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm quote
2019 Liberty 50 White 544
Hi, thanks ... and your scooter looks fantastic in that pic. I've enjoyed reading your various posts on it. I find them helpful as I can't find much service info on the 2019 50cc model. I like to do my own work on my vehicles, as much as a shadetree mechanic can anyway. My Liberty is Montebianco White 544, which AF1 Racing folks think might be identical to Pearl White 566. I hope so; I can't find anything in 544 for my ride! If you have any tips on where to find info for the 2019 50cc Liberty, please share. Cheers. Paul PS I'm yet to be convinced gear lube labeled for BOTH GL4 and GL5 is actually safe for yellow metal, but hey, who knows?
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:40 pm quote
Re: 2019 Liberty 50 White 544
bentfins wrote:
Hi, thanks ... and your scooter looks fantastic in that pic. I've enjoyed reading your various posts on it. I find them helpful as I can't find much service info on the 2019 50cc model. I like to do my own work on my vehicles, as much as a shadetree mechanic can anyway. My Liberty is Montebianco White 544, which AF1 Racing folks think might be identical to Pearl White 566. I hope so; I can't find anything in 544 for my ride! If you have any tips on where to find info for the 2019 50cc Liberty, please share. Cheers. Paul PS I'm yet to be convinced gear lube labeled for BOTH GL4 and GL5 is actually safe for yellow metal, but hey, who knows?
As a stop-gap, wonder if the 150 download manual from AF1-Racing would be worth the $8 - since the 50 & 150 share a lot of same body panels, switches, lights, brakes maybe (do you have ABS as well?) etc. ??
Engine tune specs will be under the seat on a sticker.

Might help until better info is available?
That gloss white is very nice - if I could have two - the other would be your white!
O.S.
Lurker
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm quote
2019 Liberty 50 vs. 150
The Liberty 50 does not have ABS. I would have loved a 150, particularly S version like yours, but we had a specific goal in mind. To get around town (mostly 25MPH roads) inexpensively, having a <50cc bike allowed us under VA DMV code to register it as a moped. No license, inspection, personal property tax or insurance costs. We just have to keep it under 35MPH, wear a helmet, and title/tag it. My college-aged kiddo liked the sound of that, and that is where we are. I just love driving it, but if I had an M1 endorsement I would certainly go for the added power of the 150 (or better, BV 350). Cheers. Paul
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.8525s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1085s) ][ Debug on ]