Unrestored SS180 - What to look for?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Addicted
2008 GTS 250, 1979 P200E
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm quote
Its alive! Congratulations! Now the fun begins - all the "stuff" that needs to be cleaned up or replaced. And a nice once over with rubbing compound and wax would make that old paint look fabulous!

I'm excited to see you get it back on the road - good job!
Hooked
1964 GS160, 1974 Rally 200, 1966 90ss

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:17 pm quote
Did you use US gas? Oops. You're supposed to use the special Piaggio "petrol".
I think you ruined it, but I'll buy it off you for scrap.

Seriously though, nice work. For your other questions:

1. That's just how the throttle works for the most part. Think of it as cruise control.

2. You could probably use that tap with the lever always set to "reserve". It looks like the "running" inlet is toast. Taps have 3 positions: closed, running, reserve. The running inlet draws from the middle of the tank volume. Reserve is from the bottom. If you decide to replace it, the GS/SS have a unique wrench for installing. You get to pay twice. Get used to it.
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 pm quote
Lol, I'll keep that in mind. It's actually running on my chainsaw gas, with an extra splash of gas to bump it up to 20:1 from 16:1.

As for the fuel tap, I may have a big enough crows-foot. I'll have to check. There are two tubes. The one that's cracked is the one that goes all the way up to the top of the tank. The one for "run" is only like 3" tall and seems fine as far as I can tell. I'm thinking there might be an issue with fuel leaking into this vent tube if I fill the tank? May be what got it parked in the first place years ago. Looks repairable to me, just have to get it out of there and solder a sleeve over the crack.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 pm quote
JLeather wrote:
Lol, I'll keep that in mind. It's actually running on my chainsaw gas, with an extra splash of gas to bump it up to 20:1 from 16:1.

... Looks repairable to me, just have to get it out of there and solder a sleeve over the crack.
A little smokey, is it? I've heated & bent the standard tap wrench to use in a Rally 180 tank, which I think is the same as yours, but I like your whole plan however you get it out. With the crack, you may not be able to shut off the gas completely and if your float needle leaks at all, better keep an eye out for a puddle if there's still gas in the tank.

Good work so far, but where's fresh pics? Been doing any love rubs anywhere?
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:33 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Bet it fires right up with fresh mix & a new plug.
Just sayin ...
Hooked
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:02 pm quote
That split vent tube is a disaster waiting to happen. The vent tube bypasses the on/off positions of the fuel tap. Fine to run it as is, but would recommend siphoning the fuel out if you are not running the motor for any length of time.

The tap wrench is not all that expensive, nor is the tap. you'll spend way more for gaskets/seals/etc. Might as well get the grey cowl rubber, horn and taillight gaskets, etc.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Factory-Tools/T-27329

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Fuel-Taps-and-Parts/180056

Nice survivor. See how the paint cleans up, strip the over spray off the hardware/cowl buffers, etc. I bet it looks killer after that.

It looks like it was "restored" in the 80's or 90's, people were able to not completely bodge repaints back then.

Removing trim/emblems/floor rails, etc. before paint was not impossible.

P1010019.JPG
Some previous owner thought silver would be awesome on my GS160 Mk2...and it's over epoxy primer. :(

P1010122.JPG
What your motor should look like with all the correct rubbers/clamps/etc.

Hooked
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:51 pm quote
Another couple of views of coil wiring.

Also, you are lucky to have the original gear selector cover. Usually lost, and the reproductions are not that good.

coil wiring 2.JPG
All cleaned up.

coil wiring 1.JPG
How it was handed to me.

vespa
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:45 pm quote
JLeather wrote:
I'm still here and still regularly lurking. I got my Vermont registration and turned it into a MD title/tags so that's all good. Been tinkering on the Vespa a bit this long holiday weekend (in spite of a bunch of other more important projects ahead of it). I have freed up the various controls. The throttle won't fully return by itself, but it does move fairly easily. I have also confirmed it has excellent spark and have reinstalled the old Champion plug which I found in the glovebox. I'm going to see if it wants to fire up, but I have a question. There seems to be a crack/split in what I assume is the vent tube inside the tank (see picture). It's way down near the bottom at the tap. Is that supposed to be there and/or ok to put fuel in or will I have a mess?
What did you do to get that Vermont registration ? I have 1979 with out a title.
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:29 pm quote
vma1racer wrote:
Might as well get the grey cowl rubber, horn and taillight gaskets, etc.
Thanks for the pics/info. Should the cowl rubber have been grey? The bike could use (at a minimum so far) a taillight gasket, glovebox gasket, horn gasket, choke grommet, kicker rubber, rear brake rubber, fuel tap/hose, and tires/tubes (leaning heavily towards the Pirelli SC30's). Haven't found any one source that has everything.
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:31 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Good work so far, but where's fresh pics? Been doing any love rubs anywhere?
Haven't done any cleaning yet, except where I've spilled WD-40. I need to pick up some new rubber bits, remove the horn/headlight/etc and get a claybar, but I always prefer the mechanical part more...
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:36 pm quote
Fatboy04 wrote:
What did you do to get that Vermont registration ? I have 1979 with out a title.
I followed the walkthrough here:

How to Guide- Apply for a Vermont plate

My application got kicked back once because I missed a signature spot, but otherwise I had no issues either at the Vermont end or here in MD.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.4124s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0824s) ][ Debug on ]