Vespa GTS tire valve stem broken?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 pm quote
Last year I was riding my Vespa GTS250 on the freeway and suddenly it became difficult to turn, so I pulled off and found out that my tire had gotten flat. I had it towed to my house and found out that if I tried to move the valve stem, it would hiss and leak out air. I couldn't fix it right away because I was going out of town for the winter. But now that I am back, I want to start riding again for the summer.

How do I replace a valve stem for my GTS250? What is a recommended one to replace it with?

IMG_6295.JPG

Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 pm quote
What kind of shape is your tire in? Valve stems usually last through 3 or more tire changes.

Try this: You can use a big C clamp. Only pop the bead on one side.

Here's the stem. You can probably buy one from any tire shop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-In-Short-Black-Rubber-Valve-Stems-Set-of-4-Kit-Set-TR412/272637537399?epid=782260799&hash=item3f7a76ac77:g:504AAOSwn7JYERPj
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:03 pm quote
take it to a tyre shop. they will put a new one in for you.
Hooked
"MY WIFES" 2010 GTS FASTER & BETTER ENGINEERED THAN YOURS!!
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:05 pm quote
https://www.amazon.com/MOTO-D-Angled-Motorcycle-Valve-11-3mm/dp/B00L4G67TC

get a pair... change the front yourself. Save the other for next time you change the rear tire.
Never worry again and youll have a much easier time putting a gauge on it.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:11 am quote
I wouldn't put the angled ones on your vespa. Just the standard ones. A friend had her rear tire changed by a MC shop here. They put the angled one on and not very long after it cracked and let the air out of her rear tire. I swap mine out at every tire change. Cheap insurance to prevent the rear tire from going flat.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 pm quote
I checked my service records and I last changed my front tire over five years ago (valve stem was replaced then), but I'm thinking probably due to age and tear it finally broke.

I did order angled valve stems but chrome ones... hopefully they don't bust on me...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:29 pm quote
Here is a tool you can use to remove the old valve stem and install a new one, without removing the tire:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K8E9FY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hooked
Honda Aero 1100
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:30 pm quote
xtine wrote:
I checked my service records and I last changed my front tire over five years ago (valve stem was replaced then), but I'm thinking probably due to age and tear it finally broke.

I did order angled valve stems but chrome ones... hopefully they don't bust on me...
Shoulda listened to Judy...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:32 pm quote
cballweg wrote:
xtine wrote:

+1

Though it is a bit of a pain in the patoot to get at the standard short, straight ones....
Hooked
Honda Aero 1100
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:34 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
cballweg wrote:
xtine wrote:

+1

Though it is a bit of a pain in the patoot to get at the standard short, straight ones....
Better than a flat at speed. One is inconvenient, the other can kill you...
Hooked
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:29 pm quote
judy wrote:
I wouldn't put the angled ones on your vespa. Just the standard ones. A friend had her rear tire changed by a MC shop here. They put the angled one on and not very long after it cracked and let the air out of her rear tire. I swap mine out at every tire change. Cheap insurance to prevent the rear tire from going flat.
um just about every race org in the world metal or angled valve stems as part of tech prep. But your isolated failure will probably change their mind about safety...right? Look at any high performance application... they dont use standard pull through rubber stems. You can peep some vids on you tube of rubber stem failures at speed.
Hooked
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 pm quote
xtine wrote:

I cant imagine why someone would "advise" against metal valve stems.
The angled ones make air pressure checks a cinch.

The metal ones dont deteriorate or risk breakage should something come in contact with them like the rubber ones.

OEMs use rubber because it costs them pennies instead of dollars. Funny the bikes with TPMS as standard equipment come with metal valve stems.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 am quote
TURBO WTF. I didn't say a thing about my "isolated failure". A FRIEND that had a pink LX 150 had HER tire changed and the shop put a angled one on her rear tire. She was on the off ramp heading to the airport when her rear tire went flat. So glad it didn't go sooner. Doing 55mph and having your rear tire suddenly go flat is VERY dangerous IMHO. Maybe it'll never happen again but i am not going to chance it. I have enough to worry about. XTINE. It's probably it's age. Just replace it with another one like the one you have on it now. My front tire never wears out so i replace it before the 5 year mark anyway. Rubber deteriorates over time. Glad to see your back in the saddle. Have a great summer. I change the valve stem whenever i put a new tire on. Cheap insurance

Last edited by judy on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:05 am quote
Very fast, high powered, high end cars use rubber valve stems!
Get real turbo?

The main variable seen from tire shops is if they change them and if they charge extra or not. Typically they last easily over several tire changes. I'm a bit more fussy as to age of a stem on a PTW but not anally so- if they don't leak.
I can see them having a shorter life of rubber that seals in a high UV place with outside storage- like HI, AZ, CA, etc..
OP's situation begs to ask the question as to how long the tire was low on air? The fix is the easy answer and the quicker fix is the normal stems. My son rented a new car last holiday and it had a flat tire from bad stem-it was the schader valve, not the rubber and we filled it and borrowed a stem cap from another wheel after inflation.
Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 pm quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Very fast, high powered, high end cars use rubber valve stems!
Get real turbo?
Ok you want real? Show up at a closed course event with your super dupper fast car and see if you make it through tech inspection with plain "rubber" stems.
You will be making your way over to the tire vendor for a valve stem swap before getting your tech sticker.

Why? Um safety. But if you ride well under the limits of the posted speeds then its not something you would really need to be concerned about. Heck just think of the money you can save on safety gear just doing 20mph. You can get by with Cycle Gears house brand!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 pm quote

All of this angst over a valve stem that may well have been torn by twisting it into a position to check air pressure....

Replace it with a new one.

Have a great ride.

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 am quote
I'm out of this thread...
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 am quote
Yesterday, I had the misfortune of replacing two torn valve stems on a large scooter. The big problem with most replacement valve stems on an installed scooter tire is working space. I tore a couple of very good valve stems, and destroyed the threads on another one trying to get my valve stem puller on the head, given the angle I was able to work with. I was able to replace them on the bike, without taking the tires off, using these:

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/misc/valve-stem-set

To get one side of the tire off the bead, I had to use a large thing I got from Buzzetti that looks like a set of pruning shears. I haven't seen them for sale here, and may get some in. There is also a clamp out there that works well to get the tire off the bead, or a C-clamp and some wood can often be put into service. It might be better to use two, one to get the tire away from the rim, enough to get the other one right down on the bead.

0241532300.jpg

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2987s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0452s) ][ Debug on ]