OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
I currently have the mid-size FACO windshield on my Vespa GT. I was just wondering whether anybody has tried those add-ons on their bikes and whether that makes a difference in terms of wind-noise in the helmet. This link is from a German site:
http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&rubnum=003&artnum=906&file=&gesamt_zeilen=&wkid=18433&ls=d&nocache=1142976111-18433

thanks!

berndt
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
laminar lip
just found out how this add-on is called correctly - it's a "lip" Laminar seems to be the company that came up with it.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I have heard of several people that have them and love them. I bought a laminar lip for my bmw motorcycle and the buffeting was so bad I had to pull off the road and take it off. The company took it back and quickly refunded my money. I'd say it was worth a try.
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
Laminar makes several universal models that will fit many windshields. I have researched (but have yet to try) the Laminar Lip and would guesstimate satisfaction rates to be around 95%. The company does stand behind thier products and returns do not seem to be an issue.

Saeng also makes another type of 'lip' device that they call Wing Tips and Winglets. I have heard that the Micro Swirl edging does not work all that well.

The biggest problem I see with the Vespa windshields is that they are very upright and to get smooth air flow might be tricky. With that being said, the Saeng Wing Tips may be a better choice because of the adjustability.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
winglets
thanks for the info - would be very interesting to see/hear whether anybody on here has actually used those on a Vespa windshield. Given the price of those little "winglets", it makes almost more sense to just get a bigger windscreen than getting the add-ons...(even though they are adjustable which sounds nice).
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
Re: winglets
Berndts wrote:
thanks for the info - would be very interesting to see/hear whether anybody on here has actually used those on a Vespa windshield. Given the price of those little "winglets", it makes almost more sense to just get a bigger windscreen than getting the add-ons...(even though they are adjustable which sounds nice).
The reasoning behind the Wing Tips and Lips is to deflect the wind over top of the rider. This allows the use of a lower windshield. The lower windshield is preferable so you can see over it and not through it. Looking through the windshield can be particularly difficult in wet weather or when dirty. Many windshields cause distortion which can be problematic. As well, windshields can get scratched over time making them difficult to see through.

Dave
@smorgasbord avatar
UTC

Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Hooked
@smorgasbord avatar
X-9 500 Evo, GT200
UTC quote
I have a laminar lip on my X9.
The claim is that the laminar flow shoots the air higher than just extending the windshield. The laminar flow is caused by the spacing between the windshield and the lip, wherein the air is forced together and aligned in the direction of the windshield itself.

In practice, I found that the laminar effect is pretty small, and that most of the benefit comes simply from extending the windshield. I semi-knowledgable friend looked at my bike and speculated that the gap between the windshield and lip was too big, and the overlap beween them too short to produce an effective laminar effect.

The lips are expensive for what you get. The company is great to deal with. I'll probably replace mine with larger windshield.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0366s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0101s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]