OP
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
Fledermaus and I decided to ride to Richmond for AV, but he didn't have unlimited time off from work. I'm retired, so I proposed he trailer from WI to my house in KY, and we would ride to Richmond together. We ended up picking up a new friend, Travlin' man, in WV on the overnight. The first leg 325 mi, was from Carrollton, KY to Bluefield, WV. We arrived a little tired but excited for the adventures to come. We scooted on in from Bluefield, with a stop at Appomattox Courthouse for a history fix, and made it in time for the Wednesday meet & greet. We had such a great time at the rally this year, big ups to all the Seven Hills folks, as well as the amazing VCOA staff!
Two scooters waiting the return trip at Pikeville, KY
Two scooters waiting the return trip at Pikeville, KY
Patrick Henry. He got both.
Patrick Henry. He got both.
The Three Amigos
The Three Amigos
One of our neighbors on Lombardy St
One of our neighbors on Lombardy St
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Three Scooter Dudes
I really liked the Selfie with three distinct styles of facial hair.
Could well have been the "Three Musketeers".

Fledermaus is obviously D'Artagnan.

Bob Minnesota
@jescka084 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1969 Vespa Rally 180, 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950, 2015 Vespa Primavera 150, 2015 Honda Grom 125

Hooked
@jescka084 avatar
1969 Vespa Rally 180, 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950, 2015 Vespa Primavera 150, 2015 Honda Grom 125
UTC quote
So glad that you made it, and had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@virginian avatar
UTC

Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax

Hooked
@virginian avatar
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
UTC quote
I'm sorry I missed you at AV but like said, what a great time.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Strange, I just saw this thread today. I'll chime in with a few more details....

Yes, having an extra 2-3 days would have likely made the trip more relaxed, but it was still a really enjoyable ride. It's unusual for me to do group riding to any degree, so riding cross-country with Warren and Phil was uniquely enjoyable. Besides good companionship on the trip, it's great to look ahead or behind you and see another scooter buzzing along. 8)

It was my first time in Kentucky, and appreciated having a local help sort things out. Great roads, great scenery. Lots of places to think about coming back to. As one of our routes was passing within a couple of miles of Appomattox, we stopped there for a break and quick visit.

Phil went his own way for the trip back, and because yours truly was pressed to get back to work, we hit the road fairly early after AV. Warren's wife Susan had graciously offered to bring my car and trailer to Lexington to shorten my trip back. Despite generally sticking to (non-Interstate) highways, we got routed through an awesome National Forest road before hitting the 4 lane once again.

The original thought was to go as far as we could, overnight and continue on the next morning for the remaining miles, but after riding through most of the day and making good time. Warren suggested we could just go for it and shoot for Lexington. Another quick meal, and we were off. The weather had held up well, and other than a few showers we were doing fine. As we approached Lexington, I spotted lighting, and the storm closed in on us. We finished in a heavy downpour....I swore it was hailing as I heard banging on my helmet. No way to outrun it, but had this overwhelming desire to arrive as I'm rather rapidly getting soaked. We hadn't bothered with rain gear as it was just too sudden and too close to our destination. I'm gritting my teeth as wetness took over, but suddenly I felt this icy sensation in my groin and my brain shouted "FFS, MY D*#K'S GETTING WET!" Pretty much shot any composure I'd had left.

We finally arrived, and Warren's wife Susan was waiting at the house for us, so we were welcomed with hot showers and changed into dry clothes.

IIRC, we rode 525 miles in roughly 12 hours. Despite some wiggling around to stay comfortable, the stock GTS seat was really pretty tolerable, and I didn't feel all that wrung out for the miles. Not sure I'd welcome doing it again, but no regrets. Certainly feel like the scooter was well up to the task. Great riding with some great folks.
Pre-ride tour of wmak's neighborhood
Pre-ride tour of wmak's neighborhood
Coal country
Coal country
Roadside attraction
Roadside attraction
Local produce
Local produce
Appomattox
Appomattox
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Keeping up with wmak.....
Keeping up with wmak.....
@miguelatf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie

Hooked
@miguelatf avatar
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Cool trip...and very cool photos!
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Oy!

Cool city, good peeps, though hanging with you and Dave were definitely my Richmond highlight.

Let's all tour Spain -- or some other eSpanish speaking country -- one of these years!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Oy!

Cool city, good peeps, though hanging with you and Dave were definitely my Richmond highlight.

Let's all tour Spain -- or some other eSpanish speaking country -- one of these years!
Likewise. One of the best moments was after two days of riding and weaving our way through Richmond to our lodging was to see your scooter out front and you sitting on the front porch waiting for us! 8)

Yes.... Espain would be great...though I'd better get back to practicing my Espanish!
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
UTC quote
Just got back from Catalunya, we can most def take a trip there sometime! VCdM is currently planning a trip to Portugal, so my inner polyglot has a new challenge!
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
wmak wrote:
Just got back from Catalunya, we can most def take a trip there sometime! VCdM is currently planning a trip to Portugal, so my inner polyglot has a new challenge!
My best bud is currently walking the Camino de Santiago in Portugal...everything I've heard makes it sound muy guay!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0608s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0329s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]