@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Thanks to the MV family, and Voodoo in particular, I'm getting a 1979 P200e!

So here is the story. You have probably read my earlier offer of a P200? The owners of that scooter changed their minds. BUT now I was pumped to get back to a shifting scooter. So I've been looking for a P200, and trusting the vibe of the ad and timing of the universe to set things up. Which means I started checking a few places on a daily basis: scoot.net, craigslist in Seattle, Portland, SFbay, and the InlandEmpire. I've seen a bunch of nice scooters, but nothing that said "Call the seller!", until a red 79 P200 showed up in Seattle. I watched it for two weeks and almost called, then the ad timed out, and was reposted a couple of days later.

The issue with buying long distance is I cannot physically check it out and have to trust whoever is selling the bike. Now, I can read a person pretty good, but my wife does say I'm a sucker for a good salesman. And this scooter looks good (in the two pictures posted!). Uh-oh, gotta listen to the wife.

In comes the MV community - I'm sitting there thinking "who do I know in Seattle that can check this scooter out?" and ding, V oodoo pops into my head. Have I ever met Terry - no, but I feel like I know him through his posts. So I sent him a PM on the off-chance he'd be willing to check it out for me.

Now everything starts to click - I call the seller, the scooter sounds just what I'm looking for: Original paint, low miles, not too abused, something that can use some polish and love. Then Terry gets back with me and says "Sure, anything to help a fellow scooterist out, accruing good karma as a way of life.

So within a day, I called the seller, Terry checked it out (he tells me "Buy it!"), I transfer $$ via Paypal to Terry to be the broker, which he graciously agreed to do, and he's picking up the scooter tomorrow! Oh, and got my wife on board with me buying something instead of selling something!

Holp crap - pinch me - I'm getting a P200! Woooohoooo! Super smooth - when it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

Now, without the MV community, I wouldn't have felt comfortable enough to do this. I'm very thankful for this community, and huge cudos to Voodoo! Thanks again!

Pretty good story huh? OK, I don't have the scooter yet, but when I do, I'll post pictures, cause I can hear it now (I'm even saying it!) No Pictures, it didn't happen. Ha!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by qascooter on UTC; edited 2 times
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
CL ad wrote:
Original condition, always garaged, 5600miles
new seat cover and tires, collector license plate
runs good
Well it wasn't perfect. There's a small scuff on the mudguard and that plastic bumper on the back has a crack in the corner. But other than that, it's what you would hope to find when you want a low mile original bike that was stared indoors being sold by a knowledgeable seller(several nice motorcycles) who just had it professionally serviced end to end.

One kick to start, shifts easily and brakes as it should on my test run around the block in light rain. Well worth the price and any hassle getting it down to Oregon. This one is gonna polish up real pretty! Here's the other pic again:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Hooked
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Hooked
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
Great colorway! I've been looking for a burgundy P2 for a long time, and since those were only available in the late '70s (-early '80s maybe?), most of them have been repainted or retired since, it seems..

There was a beautiful picture published in Playboy (I was only reading it for the articles, honest ) in the early '80s, with a playmate straddling a burgundy P like yours. I think the plate was a California yellow on blue, but I can't be sure. I'd love to find it again, but a google image search turnout out fruitless
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Congratulations on getting a P2!...now that old timer will probably give you a call next week saying that he's ready to sell his.
@winesalot avatar
UTC

@winesalot avatar
UTC quote
I saw this one on CL and thought it looked like a reasonable deal. Unfortunately I have an agreement with the wife to sell my 82 Honda XL250r and use the proceeds to make my Vespa purchase. Waiting for tail light brackets to be delivered before I can put it up for sale. Patience, patience, patience.

Congrats on a great purchase.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
I've written it two times already this week, but that's a rider, not a trailer queen. After almost 40 years, you expect a few scuffs and whatnot.

The plastic bumper in the back most people remove anyway, it's where you balance the scoot on a milk crate when lifting it.

Your first project is the seat. Mine was worse than that, but the tape is gonna leave your pants sticky.... But it's probably only $75 worth of parts and an hour or so of time. And your ride will look sooooo slick!

Good luck. This is what the forum is for, for us to work together to help someone make their dream come true.

And way to go Voodoo!
@virginian avatar
UTC

Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax

Hooked
@virginian avatar
UTC quote
Congratulations on the P! Post up your adventures on it when you get it.

Eric
UTC

Hooked
1970 Sprint 150 & PX 200 / 225 and a shed full o shit

Hooked
1970 Sprint 150 & PX 200 / 225 and a shed full o shit
UTC quote
Re: P200e - this time for real!
Awesome bike. I'd be stoked to find that!

My 2 cents:

Get the rubber for the kick start pedal (ouch!).

New tyres. I always buy new tyres regardless. Pirelli SL26 are good allrounders.

Choice one.
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Frank N. Stein wrote:
Great colorway! I've been looking for a burgundy P2 for a long time, and since those were only available in the late '70s (-early '80s maybe?), most of them have been repainted or retired since, it seems..
Thanks Frank! There is one in San Francisco: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/vespa-200/6614612676.html I bid $1,000 but was rejected.
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Congratulations on getting a P2!...now that old timer will probably give you a call next week saying that he's ready to sell his.
Thank you! You never know! It sounds like he contacted me before consulting his wife, and we all know what kind of hurt that brings! Wha? emoticon
Winesalot wrote:
I saw this one on CL and thought it looked like a reasonable deal. Unfortunately I have an agreement with the wife to sell my 82 Honda XL250r and use the proceeds to make my Vespa purchase. Waiting for tail light brackets to be delivered before I can put it up for sale. Patience, patience, patience.

Congrats on a great purchase.
Thank you! That Xl250r would make a great Trans America Trail (TAT) bike. I'm selling an 2002 KTM Duke II supermoto and I have the same deal with my wife. But this was something I just couldn't wait on, and the Duke is almost sold. I'm really proud of how calm my wife was when I shared with her what I was in the middle of doing. Thanks again
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Larrytsg wrote:
I've written it two times already this week, but that's a rider, not a trailer queen. After almost 40 years, you expect a few scuffs and whatnot.

The plastic bumper in the back most people remove anyway, it's where you balance the scoot on a milk crate when lifting it.

Your first project is the seat. Mine was worse than that, but the tape is gonna leave your pants sticky.... But it's probably only $75 worth of parts and an hour or so of time. And your ride will look sooooo slick!

Good luck. This is what the forum is for, for us to work together to help someone make their dream come true.

And way to go Voodoo!
Thanks Larry. I've been looking for a rider, not a display piece. I ride year round here on the Oregon Coast, so I'll be waxing her up and riding. Apparently the seat is already fixed, as well as a full tune up, and new tires! I was planning on doing all that, and probably still will, just to familiarize myself with the scoot. Bonding time. And yes, this is an AWESOME community, and huge cudos to Voodoo!
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Re: P200e - this time for real!
PC73 wrote:
Awesome bike. I'd be stoked to find that!

My 2 cents:
Get the rubber for the kick start pedal (ouch!).
New tyres. I always buy new tyres regardless. Pirelli SL26 are good allrounders.
Thank you, and thanks for the advice!
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
That scooter will clean up real nice. congrats!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Yep! Terry is the long-distance scooter intermediary to have on your team, did me some huge favours!

There's a special kind of heaven waiting for Voodoo... Razz emoticon
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, it is a sweetie and I think I am in love! Gonna be hard to ship this one out.
A few scratches in the LH cowl I missed when inspecting in light rain.
The motor looks & runs great, first kick starts are easy
The motor looks & runs great, first kick starts are easy
Clean VIN
Clean VIN
Low, low miles
Low, low miles
the only scuff on the leggy trim
the only scuff on the leggy trim
should polish up like this
even has the underseat bag hooks
should polish up like this even has the underseat bag hooks
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Wow - looks better than I could have imagined - thanks Voodoo - very cool.

@roaringtodd avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

Hooked
@roaringtodd avatar
'04 Stella 2T GB150 '15 Genuine Roughhouse 50 '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
UTC quote
Frank N. Stein wrote:

There was a beautiful picture published in Playboy (I was only reading it for the articles, honest ) in the early '80s, with a playmate straddling a burgundy P like yours. I think the plate was a California yellow on blue, but I can't be sure. I'd love to find it again, but a google image search turnout out fruitless
Pics or it didn't happen.
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
nice scoot, and my favorite P color 8)
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote

Mighty nice!
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Looks pretty clean for a 35+ year old scooter
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Larry, SoCalGuy and VespaAuntie. I just lined up my nephew to pick it up on Monday and bring it down. Now I'm really excited!
@snappa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5 Classic

Hooked
@snappa avatar
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
That's a fine looking scoot, qascooter!

Looking forward to seeing some more pics after it's been polished up
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
Beautiful scoot! And beautiful story of how everything came together. Three cheers for Voodoo! Enjoy your P, qascooter I do love the burgundy color.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
details
Agreed, it is just too lovely and really needs to leave here tomorrow on schedule, my scoots are getting rather jealous and crabby. But before it's gone, I was out in the sunshine secretly savoring its near perfection.
even though it's faded where the sun hit it, there's lots of shiny original paint to admire
even though it's faded where the sun hit it, there's lots of shiny original paint to admire
more gleam and looks like the fragile plastic fuel lever has been discarded
more gleam and looks like the fragile plastic fuel lever has been discarded
factory labels in place, check!
this one's perfect, like new
factory labels in place, check! this one's perfect, like new
and a mystery decal on the right
and a mystery decal on the right
I've seen similar inside the frame on a '74 smallframe, supposedly the paint code
but this one is on top of the paint
I've seen similar inside the frame on a '74 smallframe, supposedly the paint code but this one is on top of the paint
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
more
looks like the original sealed beam
both hi & low work
looks like the original sealed beam both hi & low work
Hmmm, lever for the DOT mandated kill switch is busted off like most of them I've seen
but no problem, the key is right there in front of you
Hmmm, lever for the DOT mandated kill switch is busted off like most of them I've seen but no problem, the key is right there in front of you
scuffed mudguard that I mentioned
scuffed mudguard that I mentioned
there, fixed it for you
there, fixed it for you
⚠️ Last edited by V oodoo on UTC; edited 2 times
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Here's some things you could do if/when you get the itch.
wire brush & paint your muff, looks & sounds like it'll be OK until you get the bug for more power
wire brush & paint your muff, looks & sounds like it'll be OK until you get the bug for more power
clean up that oil coming out from under the head
was probably retorqued when serviced but ride around for a couple days & inspect for new leakage
retorque if necessary or even may need to lap the head
clean up that oil coming out from under the head was probably retorqued when serviced but ride around for a couple days & inspect for new leakage retorque if necessary or even may need to lap the head
these wheels, paint them
these wheels, paint them
disassemble, wire brush, sand, prime, sand, topcoat x 2 or 3 times, clearcoat x 2 or times
disassemble, wire brush, sand, prime, sand, topcoat x 2 or 3 times, clearcoat x 2 or times
and PLEASE clean your damn motor!!!
and PLEASE clean your damn motor!!!
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
What a beauty. Congrats!!!

Terry, the yellow sticker, matches the VIN number...
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Bingo!

Sometimes I am so damn slow.
But now we KNOW the bike is legit! 8)
Anybody else ever see this kind of tag before?
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Oh man - Voodoo - If I was salivating before now I'm just full on drooling all over myself! The scooter looks awesome! I'm definitely going to have a good summer cleaning her up bit by bit. And running around town. It's going to be hard to paint the rims because I'm going to want to ride, ride, ride....

So needless to say but it's probably a really good thing my nephew is picking up the bike tomorrow, lest you get too attached. I'd hate for him to bring me one of your parts bikes! Ha!

Oh, and thanks for fixing the front paint scrape-age. A perfect addition.

I cannot wait to start buffing, little by little, until it shines like a well cared for 39 year old scooter. And you can guarantee I'll be leaving the VIN tag inside the front legshield. That was probably supposed to come off at the dealers when prepping the vehicle for sale. Not anymore!

Thanks again for everything, and for all the pictures - hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep tonight!!!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:

It's going to be hard to paint the rims because I'm going to want to ride, ride, ride....

Yeah, this scooter wants riding for sure!

But no problem, do them one at a time starting w/ the spare. Learn as you go if you haven't done this kind of thing before and you ought to get better and better at it so you can eventually put the prettiest one on the front, second place on the back and last one for your spare. Razz emoticon

There are many different paints and colors you could choose just trying to stay 'stock'. There's silver, aluminum and even chrome all in various flavors. I like 'aluminum' for wheels. Choose one you like and test to verify how it looks on a metal panel, including clearcoat. Some clearcoats don't like some metallics and they turn grayish. Ask me how I know(& did not test first ).
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
UTC quote
good job voods!
everyone needs a voo doo close to them. hope to make it back up to the PNW soon and hang with the v-.man.
@nedshaw avatar
UTC

1977 P200E

@nedshaw avatar
1977 P200E
UTC quote
P200E...
Having trouble locating the rear brake light switch (pedal). They handle one lites the brake light, but not the pedal. My guess is bad switch?
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
You need to remove the brake pedal assembly from underneath. Brake lite switch is mounted inside it.

Meanwhile....
I had to say goodbye to 'my' new favorite bike today. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@nedshaw avatar
UTC

1977 P200E

@nedshaw avatar
1977 P200E
UTC quote
brake pedal removal
I tried to pull the pedal down and out , but was afraid of damaging the cable. Do I remove the spring? Any tips for a novice mechanic?
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
Re: brake pedal removal
nedshaw wrote:
I tried to pull the pedal down and out , but was afraid of damaging the cable. Do I remove the spring? Any tips for a novice mechanic?
Start a new thread with your problem.

Good luck!
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
The Eagle has Landed!
Tyler, my nephew, delivered the P200 this evening from Seattle. I took it for a quick spin and it's just what I was looking for! Its going to be a great summer project. It needs shocks, lots of polishing, rim painting, keys, and whatever else I run across. Oh, and I want to refurbish the seat base (vinegar and new paint). I'm beyond happy. Thanks to Voodoo for all his effort in checking this beauty out, and graciously playing broker and picking up the scooter from the seller. And thanks to my nephew Tyler for getting it here.

I'll be posting more on this thread while I get this baby cleaned up! Wooohooo!
Can you tell I'm happy? :-)
Can you tell I'm happy? :-)
OP
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Special Delivery!
@virginian avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@virginian avatar
UTC quote
Scooter emoticon
Clap emoticon Clap emoticon
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
So, did it fire right up? And yeah, you look fairly pleased!
UTC

Hooked
1967 VBC 150 (Sold) 2013 SYM Wolf Classic (Write-off) 2005 PX150 2016 Primavera 150

Hooked
1967 VBC 150 (Sold) 2013 SYM Wolf Classic (Write-off) 2005 PX150 2016 Primavera 150
UTC quote
Wonderful! ... when I get the funds im keeping my eye out for a P200E. I contemplated on one when I was looking for my 2nd Vespa but I got a 2005 PX150 which I love as well very much.

Next up a P200E, I'll slowly build a collection, Love the colour btw, its that and the baby blue I love. 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2404s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1431s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]