JIS screw myth
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Banned
2007 LX50
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 am quote
It’s been mentioned here in discussions about carbs that the screws used to attach the float bowls get stripped because “they’re JIS not Phillips”. Apparently true JIS screws are no longer manufactured, and furthermore it is impossible to purchase true JIS screwdrivers anymore. Go ahead and look it up. So all of you that keep saying you have to have a JIS screwdriver to avoid stripouts on the float bowl screws- you may now stop saying that. They’re not JIS screws, you’re simply hamfists with no finesse. The End, and you’re welcome.
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:29 pm quote
I had never heard of JIS screws. If I had encountered one I would have just used a Philips screwdriver in my ham-fisted way. Thanks for enlightening me.
Hooked
2005 ET4 150
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:46 pm quote
Vessel Tools sells the best JIS Screwdrivers I've found so far (many different styles)

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/megadora/900-series-detail

I have only had the screwdrivers for a couple years but they do a much better job removing and installing Phillips screws from Asia than my American style Phillips Screwdrivers, every thing from toys to cars, they also work well on American Phillips screws (PH)

They are now my go to for Phillips screwdrivers, just wish I had them 40 years ago
Banned
2007 LX50
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:56 am quote
Yeah but those screwdrivers likely aren’t real JIS, as my post just stated plain and clear. You’re experiencing what is called the placebo effect. True JIS screws haven’t been produced since the days Yamaha made 2-stroke road bikes. Look it up. You can also buy what’s sold as JIS screwdrivers off Amazon, but again, not real JIS.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/
Hooked
2005 ET4 150
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 am quote
hitbyastick wrote:
Yeah but those screwdrivers likely aren’t real JIS, as my post just stated plain and clear. You’re experiencing what is called the placebo effect. True JIS screws haven’t been produced since the days Yamaha made 2-stroke road bikes. Look it up. You can also buy what’s sold as JIS screwdrivers off Amazon, but again, not real JIS.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/
I don't know anything about JIS screw production

I don't know if Vessel is selling "real" JIS screwdrivers, their website says they do

What I do know is that when the Vessel JIS screwdrivers arrived, me and two buddys went to work on a mid 90's Nissan, we tested the first 5 screws with the Vessel JIS screwdrivers and with 3 other American Style Phillips drivers

It was no contest, the Vessel JIS screwdrivers fit better and had more surface contact (as I recall the Vessel website says the same thing)
It was quite obvious with the screwdriver in hand
I have used the drivers hundreds of times since, all with great success

My post is not to dispute JIS drivers or screws, just that Vessel sells what they call a JIS driver that works better on Phillips screws than my American Style drivers, so if someone is looking for a good quality driver, here you go

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/megadora/900-series-detail

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/megadora
Enthusiast
GTS 300, BV250
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am quote
Re: JIS screw myth
hitbyastick wrote:
Apparently true JIS screws are no longer manufactured, and furthermore it is impossible to purchase true JIS screwdrivers anymore.
That's not quite accurate. JIS has been superseded by the DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 standard. The 'JIS' heads that you buy today should conform to this newer standard which is effectively 'JIS compatible'. You can still find JIS stuff in japan.
Quote:
"Important: Vessel is making the 1/4" drive bits we carry to DIN Standard #5260. They are NOT true JIS per se. However, we have tested them extensively here and have determined that due to the tight corner radius on these bits (a key ingredient differentiating JIS from Phillips standards), they fit JIS fasteners that you will encounter perfectly."
Thanks for the heads up on Vessel. I have new screwdrivers heading my way!

Edit:

This photo should help illustrate why people swear at phillips screwdrivers:

image.jpg

Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:33 am quote
Whether the JIS screw drivers I have are true JIS or not I don't care. All I know is the reality, when I use them on a Philips head screw on a carb they loosen the screw with no damage. When I accidentally grab a regular one I know it when I first put pressure on the screw. Maybe its all in my mind but I think I'll stay with my fake JIS screw drivers on my carbs.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:03 am quote
Your post may have stated 'plain and clear' but it's plainly and clearly wrong. You can still buy real JIS screwdrivers. Not in a lot of places for sure, but you can.

I think that stick hit you pretty hard. Might want to get checked out.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 pm quote
JIS vs Phillips
Vintage1 wrote:
Your post may have stated 'plain and clear' but it's plainly and clearly wrong. You can still buy real JIS screwdrivers. Not in a lot of places for sure, but you can.

I think that stick hit you pretty hard. Might want to get checked out.
Yep, JIS screwdrivers are still out there. Bought a set on Amazon last year to work on my 1983 Suzuki GR650 project bike. Also used them on my 2007 Majesty. Made a TON of difference compared to using phillips screwdrivers. Didn't "cam out" like phillips screwdrivers do.

If you like working on older Japanese bikes or cars as projects, definitely get a set of JIS screwdrivers.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm quote
From the picture you can make your own JIS by grinding a bit of a Phillips/Posidrive?
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.8857s ][ Queries: 26 (0.7657s) ][ Debug on ]