Polini 28mm carb choke problem
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
T5 MK1, PX200E
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:36 pm quote
Anyone out there got any idea why the engine will idle with the choke closed but when I throttle up it "chokes" and dies? if I remove the choke cable it will rev a bit but drowns when you try and ride.

Was running okay and then died at 65 mph. Malossi 210, reed block, good compression, SIP road pipe, really nice driveway decoration...

Any help appreciated.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200, Rusty Bluebadge
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:04 pm quote
Post your question in the not so modern section of this forum and you will get some answers.

Good luck!
T5 MK1, PX200E
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am quote
Cheers mate
Thanks for the pointer, just getting wound up by something I thought after 35 years on scoots I could work out!!
Ossessionato
09 190s taormina
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:25 pm quote
Died at speed and now only runs on idle circuit. Loose main jet? Did you pull the bowl?
Hooked
ET4 187
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:01 pm quote
This is probably a different carb upgrade, am I right?

The Polinis are wonderful carbs. Very responsive to throttle twists and wonderful finish.

If you've changed from a vacuum unit to a slider carb (Polini) there will be air intake/fuel issues. You'll need to jet up from a stock setup, you need a richer setup.

Plus, these slider carbs need a bit more distance from the head, like 2" or so. You'll need this space anyways to clear the block in lots of cases.

The choke? I recommend not even using it for the time being, just to eliminate search and rescue issues. When the motor is stone cold, give a healthy blast of brake cleaner directly into the the intake, close to the carb. The engine will start now! Even in minus temps. Then figure out what the motor is doing!

I've drilled a 4mm hole in the intake duct, great for fuel injection, just saying.

Eliminate problem areas, concentrate on the immediate issues.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1331s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0414s) ][ Debug on ]