Motorcycle roadside assistance?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:54 am quote
I have roadside assistance with my scoot insurance policies and have yet to need it but know eventually I will.

Any experiences/stories here? Recommendations on which roadside services are best? Which to avoid?
Enthusiast
300 GTS, Stella 4T
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:02 am quote
I use Rider insurance which comes with RA. Unfortunately, with the Stella, I've needed it a few times. Always convenient and usually within the hour.
I recommend them highly.
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 am quote
I have AAA, but never used it for anything other than travel brochures....
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:44 am quote
Hit or miss. Your insurance company doesn't employ tow truck drivers.

It all boils down to wherever you are and what tow service your insurance company or PTW manufacturer uses in that area. You could get a dumb as a rock driver who knows nada about towing a scooter (as I did about a year ago when I got a flat- GEICO roadside assistance) or a knowledgeable driver who happens to also ride a PTW (as I did when my new BMW R1200 RT was suffering from the dreaded no start from poor design of the handlebar switches- BMW roadside assistance)
Hooked
BV350 2015 (sold), Moto Guzzi V7 III
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:56 am quote
I have roadside assistance included with my Dairyland Insurance policy. Never used it, but I have called AAA when I had a rear flat tire on my Guzzi. Excellent service from them.
Ossessionato
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:07 am quote
Iíve got USAA for the scoots (Progressive services the account) and AAA. Wondering if I should drop the AAA due to redundancy.
Enthusiast
300 GTS, Stella 4T
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:11 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Hit or miss. Your insurance company doesn't employ tow truck drivers.

It all boils down to wherever you are and what tow service your insurance company or PTW manufacturer uses in that area. You could get a dumb as a rock driver who knows nada about towing a scooter (as I did about a year ago when I got a flat- GEICO roadside assistance) or a knowledgeable driver who happens to also ride a PTW (as I did when my new BMW R1200 RT was suffering from the dreaded no start from poor design of the handlebar switches- BMW roadside assistance)
Usually, they come with a flatbed. I always pay attention and help them strap it down. The last guy, in Culpeper, Va., was happy to let me do most of the work so he didn't have to climb up.
With Rider you get 35 miles or $150 worth of towing.
I have to say, they seem to contract with good companies. I've never had a problem.
Ossessionato
2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max), 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:47 am quote
I have an AMA (American Motorcyclists Association) membership.

I paid $140. For three years.

It includes roadside assistance for all of my vehicles.

That includes towing up to 30 miles, but not more than one tow every seven days.

I have used it to tow my scooters at least five times, and my Miata once when the fuel pump failed.

Total towing cost would have been at least $500. without the coverage.

They have been easy to deal with every time.

Highly recommended.

Bill
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:11 am quote
Here's another shout for AMA - $50 pa helps promote the motorcyclist's POV with legislatures, plus towing for *all* your vehicles. Extremely good value.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:24 am quote
I have AMA and AAA. I've needed twos twice on my scoots. Both times were a rear flat and more than 30 miles from the nearest town. They also happened at a day/time when dealerships and independent shops were closed before I could get the scoot there. So I uses AAA each time because the scoot was towed to a hotel then next business day (one happened Sat afternoon and all the shops closed at 2) they towed me again to a shop for repair.
With one exception service was very good and a flat bed was sent. The one exception was leaving the hotel to take the Vespa to a shop I left the guy to strap the scoot down while I grabbed my helmet and turned in the room key. I walked out to find it on its side. The idiot put a strap through the bottom of the front tire and the rear tire, nothing higher up on the scoot so it fell over. Lesson learned I won't turn my back until the scoot is properly secured to my satisfaction. Fortunately it was a slow tip and no damage done but I was both appalled and furious as you can image.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:29 am quote
Had AMA for years. You can use it for cars as well. Used to be unlimited towing. You could tow as many in a day as you wanted. They switched to unlimited towing but only 1 tow per 7 days.Which is still a bargain. Also you can tow a friends MC, car. Still the best deal around IMHO. I pay $49 a year. It's automatically deducted every year and that's why it's only $49. Never had them do it early. Always done right.
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300 MP3 250
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 am quote
I have Progressive through USAA. In the past I have touted the service. However, recent experiences have changed that outlook. The good thing is that Progressive will take you to the nearest "qualified" shop. That means a lot when there are so few Vespa shops and I am a long distance rider. I will stick with them just for that.
Ossessionato
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:21 pm quote
lostboater wrote:
I have Progressive through USAA. In the past I have touted the service. However, recent experiences have changed that outlook. The good thing is that Progressive will take you to the nearest "qualified" shop. That means a lot when there are so few Vespa shops and I am a long distance rider. I will stick with them just for that.
As I have Progressive through USAA as well, would you care to share your recent experiences that changed your outlook?

Thanks!
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 pm quote
Didn't have it with a flat tire on my Forza
5 mile flat bed tow cost $263
Bought AAA, free flat bed 20 miles home with broken chain on YFZ-R6.
O.S.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:02 pm quote
Have AAA but have never used it. Got is on a recommendation of someone I ride with occasionally. He said its primary value is that it will take your PTW to the garage of your choice within the mileage radius. Most "towing"insurance take you to the closest "mechanic" holding a contract with the insurance company.
Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 pm quote
griffin1108 wrote:
Have AAA but have never used it. Got is on a recommendation of someone I ride with occasionally. He said its primary value is that it will take your PTW to the garage of your choice within the mileage radius. Most "towing"insurance take you to the closest "mechanic" holding a contract with the insurance company.
I sat amen. I've had insurance policies where they provide roadside assistance; but have stuck with AAA the whole time, their motorcycle/RV rider. When I'm stuck on the side of the road, I want a reliable and well organized company to come rescue me. That's AAA. P.S. I *have* used it. You call, they come, end of story.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:32 am quote
Quote:
As I have Progressive through USAA as well, would you care to share your recent experiences that changed your outlook?

Thanks!
A two part tow story. A very shortened version. I broke down outside Enterprise AL, the variator busted. Needed a tow to my overnight and a tow the next day to Tallahassee to the Vespa dealer. They had no problem with this arrangement.

The first tow was over 80 miles away and would take over two hours to arrive. They said it was the closet one that would do the tow. With feel like temp's in the 100's, I declined and got one that was 18 miles away and super professional.

The next day was even longer story. After 5.5 hours of BS from the tow company I rented a budget truck and drove it all the home myself.

USAA has contacted me every day since I sent a letter to the CEO. We are working on reimbursement. I doubt anything else will change.
Hooked
2005 Vespa LX 150, 2005 GT 200
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:56 am quote
Towing is included with my Rider Insurance policy.

Several years ago, I lost spark (faulty stator coil) on one of my mopeds and had to be towed back home. The tow truck company arrived with a flat bed truck in about an hour. The expression of the truck driver was priceless when I told him it was a moped that needed to be towed and not something a little bit bigger.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm quote
I have towing coverage with State Farm.

What's odd is that, on my car, I can use their app to submit a tow request. On my scooter policy, I am required to call in. Which makes sense, in a way. That way they make sure to specify a flatbed.

Which is all well and good, except for what happened the one and only time I used it last winter. I called for the tow because it wouldn't start. They said it'd be about an hour. So I got ready for work and waited. And waited. Finally, about 10 minutes after the ETA, I got an automated call to make sure the driver had arrived. Since he hadn't, I selected that option and was connected back with the State Farm roadside assistance operator. They looked into it, and it turns out the tow driver got into an accident on his way to me. So they dispatched a second driver, with another 1 hr ETA.

He actually showed up 20 minutes early. When he saw the BV, he stopped and said, "they didn't tell me it was a motorcycle." I asked if it was a problem, and he said no, but asked if I could help him roll it up the flatbed. He explained that he'd injured himself once when rolling a motorcycle up by himself. I said sure. He was pleasantly surprised with how light the BV is.
Ossessionato
Kymco Like 200i (Sold)
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm quote
When I had my scooter I went with CSAA. To add PTW I had to upgrade to their premium roadside program which covers RVs. A bit pricey, but tons of perks attached.
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2012 GTV 300 Espresso, 1956 VL3
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm quote
Within the year I joined AMA for the towing benefits. I have not had any prior experience with any of the other services. After researching and reading threads here on MV I decided to go with AMA. Seems like a good value to have a bit of peace of mind.
Molto Verboso
LX150
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm quote
I was an AMA member for a year and never had to use the roadside assistance but I dropped out because I did not agree with some of their lobbying efforts. They are politically active, so be sure you are on the same page as the people running the show because your money will be going to support a specific point of view.

With no intent to start a conversation on the subject, for me it was what I saw as an over-the-top stance on off-road riding on public lands in certain parts of California. I own and ride a dual-sport bike, I'm just more moderate than them on this issue. I support everyone's right to support whatever they want, just do some research to be sure you support what the AMA are supporting before you support them.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am quote
Try Foremost, no set mileage and YOU pick the tow service, pay and get reimbursed. With cell phones you will get faster and better service than counting on roadside assistance to get the right and quickest tow truck there. You can ask to have someone that understands how to strap a bike down.

They had the best tow coverage as for as miles covered and what they will pay out that I have ever found. I now have Progressive because they are cheaper right now.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:52 am quote
griffin1108 wrote:
Shop around, Foremost has no mileage limit.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 am quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Didn't have it with a flat tire on my Forza
5 mile flat bed tow cost $263
Bought AAA, free flat bed 20 miles home with broken chain on YFZ-R6.
O.S.
$263 for 5 miles is insane.

Should be around $75 pick up and $2 a mile.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 am quote
judy wrote:
Had AMA for years. You can use it for cars as well. Used to be unlimited towing. You could tow as many in a day as you wanted. They switched to unlimited towing but only 1 tow per 7 days.Which is still a bargain. Also you can tow a friends MC, car. Still the best deal around IMHO. I pay $49 a year. It's automatically deducted every year and that's why it's only $49. Never had them do it early. Always done right.
I too have the AMA towing had to use it one time due to major engine failure on my Sportster/sidecar outfit and got towed off the Interstate in Vermont and back to motel parking lot. Good deal as I already was an AMA member and all I had to do is set up the auto pay membership, money I was spending already!

Also wife used it to get car jump started at the airport, think the interior light was left on while they were on c cruise.
Hooked
P200 (sold) *Elite 250 *Buddy 161 *125cc Passport *Trail 90 *K-Pipe 125

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am quote
I have AMA and get AAA Premier as my Christmas gift every year. I'm planning on dropping AMA and getting the RV/motorcycle coverage added to the AAA membership. I've been doing more day trips lately and AAA Premier covers up to 200mi
Molto Verboso
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 am quote
Follow up on my tow
To recap, I used my own tow in Alabama after a variator exploded to take me to my hotel and Progressive/USAA offered unacceptable response time. The next morning the tow to Tallahassee to the dealer turned into a fiasco and I rented a truck and drove it home.

I sent a letter to USAA, who is my "agent", and to Progressive the supplier of the insurance about my dissatisfaction along with the bill for all the service. Usaa immediate contacted me and assigned an advocate for my case. She called or emailed almost every day. Progressive had some one call from "Agero" and read a prepared statement, "not the standard we strive for, etc. etc." Who the hell is Agero? They supply the towing, a sub-division of Progressive.

USAA was continually in contact with me until I got the first checks from Cross Country Motor Club. Who the hell are they? I guess another cut out for Progressive as their name was on the check also.

I was not happy with the reimbursement as they only paid for the truck and not the fuel or the cost of going to get the truck, so I called me advocate at USAA. Within 48 hours she called back to inform me another check was coming to cover the additional expenses. She ask that I stay in touch until the next check arrives from Progressive/Agero/Cross Country Motor Club.

USAA was, as always, outstanding in this operation, in my opinion. I am fortunate that I could bare the cost until reimbursed. The bad side is I hope this is a once in lifetime challenge.

Ride fast, Take chances.
Hooked
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am quote
I have both Good Sam and the AMA. I renewed with the AMA as a Charter Life Member since I have Chinese scooters and......you can never tell.

Good Sam bailed out my two step sons and got them to a repair shop. Knock on wood I haven't needed help yet.

The shocker was when the AMA listed how long I had been a member. They say 48 years. I say No Way.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 am quote
KZ that sounds like my American Express, I first got one in 1981. When i left for the middle east i had it put on hold because if i used it over there it would alsways be late. Took a month to get rthe bill and another month for them to get the payment. Mail was SLOW. I sent the card back to them. When i got another one a while back theynowthink i've been a member since 1981. 37 years and they fall all over me because they think i've been a member for 37yrs.
Primavera
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 am quote
Interesting! Got a quote from USAA and they covered everything BUT roadside assistance. Wonder if thatís because itís Europe. Going to check with a local insurance company, see what they cover.
Jet Peddler wrote:
Iíve got USAA for the scoots (Progressive services the account) and AAA. Wondering if I should drop the AAA due to redundancy.
Ossessionato
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am quote
mnox1 wrote:
Interesting! Got a quote from USAA and they covered everything BUT roadside assistance. Wonder if thatís because itís Europe. Going to check with a local insurance company, see what they cover.
Jet Peddler wrote:
I have roadside assistance on all three. Peace of mind.
Hooked
bv350 (sold) and now,'14 honda ctx700 dct
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:10 pm quote
howdy
i have AAA rv+ and have used it twice for the bv350 for spark plug wire issues. both times excellent service including one call on sunday where they took me home, unloaded and came back tuesday to take it 60 miles to the shop. the only uther time was in the car where i thought i was on a city street which turned out to have a two foot hole covered by slushy snow. excellent service and contact each time.
lotsa miles and smiles to ya
ken
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm quote
I used my State Farm roadside assistance for a flat tire on my wife's car about two weeks ago. It was a pain in the butt getting through their voice mail hell where they try to force you to use a smartphone app, which wasn't working. I kept calling back and finally got a person to sent a guy out. I was told that I would get a text when the guy was on his way which I never got. A guy did show up in about 30 mins and help us out. I plan to switch to AMA.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:30 am quote
Had to use Progressive road side assistance on Wednesday for my BV 350. It was great, they were there in 50 minutes, texted me when they were 20 minutes out and had tie downs for a motorcycle
So if you have issues with progressive roadside assistance, it's the damn local towing company, not Progressive that is the issue.
Shot out to Road Runner Towing for being prepared.
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Had to use Progressive road side assistance on Wednesday for my BV 350. It was great, they were there in 50 minutes, texted me when they were 20 minutes out and had tie downs for a motorcycle
So if you have issues with progressive roadside assistance, it's the damn local towing company, not Progressive that is the issue.
I am a bit of a expert on this now. Progessive is the agent that sells you the insurance. They contract out towing to Agero. Agero is the biggest roadside assistance provider in the industryó90 percent of new passenger vehicles sold in the United States are covered by a rebranded Agero roadside assistance service. GM, Ford and Lincoln, Mazda, Toyota, Chrysler, USAA, and Progressive all use Agero to provide roadside assistance to their customers. When you call you "insurance company towing" you never talk to your insurance company. You talk to Agero. Agero then buts out a call for bids to companies they have contracts with. They chose the lowest bid and that company gets the job.

Sometimes the tow company is minutes away and some times it is hours away as I have reported. Agero uses a computer program that sends out the text messages. A "good" tower will follow up with a call to you to confirm with you.

Yes, I hold Progressive or in my case USAA responsible. They are the ones legally bound by you insurance contract to perform. But having knowledge of how the system works greatly enhance your chances of understanding what is going on. As reported USAA was very attentive to my complaint and I got fully reimbursed for all of my out of pocket expenses.

Glad you had a good experience.
Enthusiast
2009 Vespa GTS 250 SOLD
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:38 pm quote
When I needed it with my past MC AAA was super, fast and no issues.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 am quote
lostboater wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
I am a bit of a expert on this now. Progessive is the agent that sells you the insurance. They contract out towing to Agero. Agero is the biggest roadside assistance provider in the industryó90 percent of new passenger vehicles sold in the United States are covered by a rebranded Agero roadside assistance service. GM, Ford and Lincoln, Mazda, Toyota, Chrysler, USAA, and Progressive all use Agero to provide roadside assistance to their customers. When you call you "insurance company towing" you never talk to your insurance company. You talk to Agero. Agero then buts out a call for bids to companies they have contracts with. They chose the lowest bid and that company gets the job.

Sometimes the tow company is minutes away and some times it is hours away as I have reported. Agero uses a computer program that sends out the text messages. A "good" tower will follow up with a call to you to confirm with you.

Yes, I hold Progressive or in my case USAA responsible. They are the ones legally bound by you insurance contract to perform. But having knowledge of how the system works greatly enhance your chances of understanding what is going on. As reported USAA was very attentive to my complaint and I got fully reimbursed for all of my out of pocket expenses.

Glad you had a good experience.
So how does this USAA / Progressive thing work? I have USAA on my cars and was told they don't cover bikes. Do you go through USAA or Progressive to get the insurance? Need to look into this.
Edit:
WOW, link from USAA right to Progressive now.

And Yes, USAA ROCKS!!!! The BEST, they just replaced my roof for wind damage, that needed to be replaced anyway
I paid a whole $600 of a $10,500 bill for the upgraded shingles
Oh and a $500 deductible.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm quote
I had to use roadside assistance from State Farm again this past weekend for my car. My near new rear tire shredded on my mini van in the middle of nowhere half way between Las Vegas and the Utah state line at 1:30 am. My guess is that something punchered my side wall. It was pitch black and the temp was in the 30's and I couldn't find the tool to use the jack, so I called for help. It took an hour and a half for the guy to come. I got back in the car and took a nap while I waiting for the guy to come. Since my cell phone was dead, I would have been screwed if my daughter hadn't brought her cell phone. The other thing is that the tire shop uses an impact wrench to tighten up the nuts and I wouldn't have been able to get them off if I had found the tool. I have used my road side assistance 3 times for my cars and zero times for my scooter so far. I am headed over to Harbor Freight to buy two extra large ratchets and sockets for each of my two cars so I don't get caught again. I guess I need to get my scooter tool kit under my seat at the same time. It would definitely been have been a tow back to Vegas had I been on my BV350 and a very long wait for a shop to open.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 pm quote
Buy a phone charging cord for your minivan too while you're out shopping.....
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.2133s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0454s) ][ Debug on ]