Motorcycle roadside assistance?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 pm quote
Thanks. I just put a power cord in my glove box.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 am quote
JACoH wrote:
I have roadside assistance included with my Dairyland Insurance policy. Never used it, but I have called AAA when I had a rear flat tire on my Guzzi. Excellent service from them.
Dairyland is my old MC insurer. Beware!

I left as they had begun to raise my rates to exorbitant amounts for no reason related to me. I began riding in 1963 and have never had a claim with a PTW and very few over a long period with any insurance. it was not speeding ticket related either.
If you do have a collision on a scooter the state or local police may have a list of tow people and you'll get the next one on their list. The real issue is the limitations for distance as a dealer might be needed and not that close plus your home may not be within coverage either.

My property and vehicle coverage is from KY Farm Bureau, who, like Progressive doesn't sell PTW insurance. it was to American Modern, which then became Dairyland (I forget how that happened but it switched over for some reason and they are sort of the same people) that they originally referred me.
I am currently pursuing USAA quotes and just mailed them my DD-214 for membership.
Other than for an urban rider doing shopping trips or a close commute, a 20-30 mile tow coverage is often gonna be of little use to me.
I have the Progressive PTW coverage and FAR! less money than any other company mentioned so far- when I checked for my situation.
I'm not a fanboy of AAA type of coverage as when extended over the years of use it is likely cheaper to pay the tow. If I had extended, long distance exposure perhaps it would become a more viable choice to my mind? As a wrencher I am my own solution at times which plays into the equation.
GT
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 am quote
Myself I have AAA Plus and the additional motorcycle upgrade. I do this because I also have a motorcycle and I am often a long way from home and I wanted the ability to have my motorcycle or scooter towed up to 100 miles. I have had to use this only once and it was well worth the price of admission which is $138 annually for me. Only issue I had was the tow truck operator was not used to loading bikes onto his rig. Thankfully he did bring tie down straps, however the bed of his truck was so greasy it was difficult to load the bike. Also if I go a long distance on my bike or scooter now I throw my "Canyon Dancers tiedowns" into the saddle bags which make the physical securing of the bike much easier.
Molto Verboso
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am quote
I get it that this is a comfort item for some people.
My point was that no matter how far I ride (I've done over 20,000 miles riding to & from Mexico alone) and after riding since 1963 were I to total up the tows it comes to one time after all those years, "knock on wood".
I suspect that one tow in Texas (not covered by my insurance due to the place the bike needed to be towed to/from, etc.) cost far less than the sum total of an extra tow policy which probably wouldn't have covered the tow either. Even a meager amount per year I would not come out ahead.
Just my own point of view and math.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 am quote
If you only had roadside assistance for your scooter and your are good at fixing things yourself, then yeah, over the long term you would be money ahead not to get road side assistance, but if you factor in the use for your other vehicles at the same time, then you do come out ahead. In my case, my wife and daughter drive two other late model cars for which I have used my service 3 times in the last year, which puts me ahead by a 3 to 1 ratio. When my daughter goes out of state to college, I have to have it for her since she is clueless when it comes to fixing cars. It only takes one really expensive tow to decide that the cost and convenience makes it worth it to have roadside assistance. I figure that I am going to have at least one call a year for something and that will make it worth it for me.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:52 am quote
Exactly my feeling, bean counter.
I have an 8 mile commute to work in an urban area. I pass probably dozens of service stations. I usually travel light unless I'm traveling a greater distance, so no tire repair kit was on board. I got a flat halfway to work. I push the scooter one block into a large tow truck headquarters with body shop. I figure I'm good shape here and they'll certainly help me. Wrong! Owner was a grouchy douche, didn't want to even talk with me, never mind helping.

No service station nearby wanted to plug a scooter tire. I wound up using my GEICO road service and got towed to a station near my job that I've seen used scooters for sale at. Took a chance, and it paid off, they fixed it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 pm quote
gold plated
Well worth the money

2012-09-24 18.29.00-1.jpg

Molto Verboso
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 pm quote
bean counter wrote:
If you only had roadside assistance for your scooter and your are good at fixing things yourself, then yeah, over the long term you would be money ahead not to get road side assistance, but if you factor in the use for your other vehicles at the same time, then you do come out ahead. In my case, my wife and daughter drive two other late model cars for which I have used my service 3 times in the last year, which puts me ahead by a 3 to 1 ratio. When my daughter goes out of state to college, I have to have it for her since she is clueless when it comes to fixing cars. It only takes one really expensive tow to decide that the cost and convenience makes it worth it to have roadside assistance. I figure that I am going to have at least one call a year for something and that will make it worth it for me.
OK, lets agree she cannot fix anything. I/we had three teenage/college drivers on the road all were under three years old at one time. All together they had two tows until they went off mom & pop welfare system. Your not going to likely put her in a junker so a tow is less than likely and thats why i tend to view tow benefits much like an extra cost vacuum warranty.
The larger difference for me vs. you is probably if it can be fixed out on the rad and/or where to tow it too, which in my case has always been my home with the one exception I already mentioned. If a tow policy makes them money, the odds are in that favor not my billfolds.
Hooked
2015 GTS 300 ABS, 2013 LXV 150 (R.I.P.)
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 am quote
I‘ve used mine a couple times. Love it, love it, love it! When my LXV went down a couple months ago I left it on the sidewalk, went to work and called the insurance. Couldn’t imagine having to try to find and pay for tow on Thanksgiving otherwise. I didn’t even have to be there. Used it another time when my variarle plate got jammed. Didn’t want to deal with it or do more damage, so I just called them and they took it to the shop for me. Another time someone tried to steal it from work and knocked the steering out of alignment and broke the ignition. Again, one quick call and it was at the shop that morning. Come to think of it, I should’ve used it when my front shock blew instead of leaving it in “the compound” at work, which really only served to piss of our welder.

Anyway, I have it with Provressive, and it’s basically free. I also have it for our other vehicle and have used it a couple times. Once when the alternator went and another for a jump start. No reason not to have it if you ask me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:14 pm quote
[quote="bean counter" The other thing is that the tire shop uses an impact wrench to tighten up the nuts and I wouldn't have been able to get them off if I had found the tool. I have used my road side assistance 3 times for my cars and zero times for my scooter so far. I am headed over to Harbor Freight to buy two extra large ratchets and sockets for each of my two cars so I don't get caught again. I guess I need to get my scooter tool kit under my seat at the same time. It would definitely been have been a tow back to Vegas had I been on my BV350 and a very long wait for a shop to open.[/quote]

Step one when you get home from getting new tires. I do it the parking lot of the tire place.
Loosen each lug and re-torque with a torque wrench. This can prevent warped rotors in the future. Number 1 cause of warped rotors on cars is improperly torqued lug nuts.

I tell anyone that takes lug nuts off my cars, no air gun is to be used on the lug nuts to tighten them up and I expect lugs to be torqued to proper spec. in proper order.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2694s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0425s) ][ Debug on ]