Vespa sunset ride along the coast
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Author Message
Hooked
Vespa GT 200L
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Location: San Clemente
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 pm quote
Took a sunset SoCal coastal ride last night on my Vespa to test my new GoPro Hero 5 Black I picked up from Costco this weekend. So far I'm happy...

Ossessionato
2 X 74 Rallys, 66 Bluebadge, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 2968
Location: Oceanside/ SF
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:05 pm quote
Good video. I've got the same camera mounted on my helmet. Ive turned down the resolution to help make the battery last longer but I still wish the battery lasted a little longer.

Thanks also for the view of Dana Point Harbor. Im looking for ideas by the water and that tall ship looks interesting.
Hooked
Vespa GT 200L
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Location: San Clemente
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 pm quote
MJRally wrote:
Good video. I've got the same camera mounted on my helmet. Ive turned down the resolution to help make the battery last longer but I still wish the battery lasted a little longer.

Thanks also for the view of Dana Point Harbor. Im looking for ideas by the water and that tall ship looks interesting.
I've heard the same thing about the battery. I try to keep the voice commands and wifi turned off which suck battery life. I'm hoping to use this camera for snorkeling also (supposed to be waterproof to 30 feet as is but we'll see).
Hooked
2019 GTS 300 Touring
Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 309
Location: SW Florida
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:11 am quote
Nice. Makes me want to get my feet wet....

Paul
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:27 pm quote
Nice video. Love some of the SoCal scenery. Our only palm trees are inflatable.
Member
Vespa 946
Joined: 28 Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Cupertino, CA
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm quote
Great video... I move up to Bay area last year from Dana Point and it was really fun For me to see some of my old haunts. (My profile pic is from the parking lot of Turks down there near the harbor) The steep road up to the cliffs from Baby Beach was a favorite spot to go careening down, I used to see how fast I could get before the tight curve, got it up to around 50.

Another nearby place that was a favorite was riding up in the hills above Laguna Beach. I have some fun riding spots up here but I miss riding around in SoCal, thanks for posting.
Hooked
Vespa GT 200L
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Location: San Clemente
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:20 pm quote
Marlowe wrote:
Great video... I move up to Bay area last year from Dana Point and it was really fun For me to see some of my old haunts. (My profile pic is from the parking lot of Turks down there near the harbor) The steep road up to the cliffs from Baby Beach was a favorite spot to go careening down, I used to see how fast I could get before the tight curve, got it up to around 50.

Another nearby place that was a favorite was riding up in the hills above Laguna Beach. I have some fun riding spots up here but I miss riding around in SoCal, thanks for posting.
Yes, one of our club's (San Clemente Scooter Club) favorite rides was up in the hills of Laguna Beach (esp up to Top of the World). Another we USED to be able to do was riding thru San Onofre State park to the end and going thru the gate at the end onto the Marine Base (bike trails) down to Las Pulgas Rd then thru the marine base beautiful ride but its gotten too restricted now so we don't.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 4334
Location: Home of the Alamo
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 am quote
What sort of helmet mount and mount location did you use, and any sort of microphone setup?

Interested in trying this myself.

Thanks!
Hooked
Vespa GT 200L
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Location: San Clemente
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
What sort of helmet mount and mount location did you use, and any sort of microphone setup?

Interested in trying this myself.

Thanks!
Actually I just used an old mount from my original GoPro Hero 1 that was already permanently attached above my Vespa headlight. Same attachments as with this newer GoPro Hero 5 Black so it worked for it also. Since the new GoPro Hero 5 Black doesn't have a separate waterproof casing around it like the old original GoPro Hero, I found that the sound is much better. Also the video is much more stable with the new GoPro.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 4334
Location: Home of the Alamo
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am quote
So you just used the microphone built into the GoPro and nothing external then?
Hooked
Vespa GT 200L
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Location: San Clemente
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
So you just used the microphone built into the GoPro and nothing external then?
that's correct. I found it works pretty well. No external mic used.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.2434s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0433s) ][ Debug on ]