Royal Enfield Whinge N/S/R
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 am quote
So I was looking at crossing the USA in the middle of next year on a PTW but rather than rent a Harley and become a cliche I thought I'd buy something cheap, basic and reliable then sell it when I'm done.

Rather than buy my favourite brand I thought I'd look at a Royal Enfield Classic 500 which pretty much fitted all of my requirements.

So I test rode one, liked it then emailed the dealer to thank him for experience then asked about availability and delivery times etc.

I got nothing back.

So not to be put off I emailed two RE dealers on the west coast of the US telling them about my plans and could they advise me on insurance and registering it as I won't have an address to tie it to.

Once again I got nothing.

I actually want to buy one with cash ( over here as well as over there ) so why is it so difficult to get an answer ?

Bah !

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am quote
You're a guy calling from halfway around the world, SAYING you want to buy it with cash.

Could be a case of "wonder if this guy is really in Nigeria" going on.

Offer to send a cashier's check. I mean, you're looking to buy a NEW bike, what could go wrong?

eeee-bip
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 pm quote
Clang
No I'm not that naive.

I'm not telling them I want to buy with cash I'm just saying that I'm prepared to buy it in it's entirety.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:35 pm quote
There are many crappy dealers across the U.S. I've been neglected this badly when I went to one Honda dealer IN PERSON. I wanted to buy and they never called me back. That's why there's tons of them closing every year. Plus, you're halfway around the world emailing about a *possibility* NEXT YEAR. My advice is to pick one, and call them, don't email. if you get a moron on the phone, you'll know right away. Hang up and choose another dealer.

If you can land on the East Coast, this dealer is local to me and reliable. I can help you with the purchase and I can get you from any NYC/NJ airport to the dealer.

Locomotion Powersports - RE of Bergen County
79 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ, (0)7430

Telephone:
locomotionpowersports.com
eeee-bip
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:53 pm quote
Spot
You see, that's all I wanted.

Great work.

Thank you.

Shall I mention you ?

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 pm quote
I don't think they'd know me. I actually only met them at a couple of events and talked with them. Haven't yet used them for service for my Triumph. But you could mention me and say I'm a customer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm quote
Bill Dog wrote:
I thought I'd buy something cheap, basic and reliable then sell it when I'm done.
I have ridden a couple and seriously considered one for a sidecar setup. There are many things I like about the Enfield, but reliability does not immediately jump to mind.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:38 pm quote
An email is not a customer. And most of the time emails offering to buy expensive stuff sight unseen are just bots trolling for victims.

You can't get across your earnestness in an email the way you would either in person or on the phone. Email is a useless way to purchase a high dollar item that is almost always done in person.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 pm quote
Sorta piling on, but I've found few retail dealers of anything ever answer unsolicited email -- it's just not how they do business.

Sometimes I'll call 'em and explain I'd prefer email (I can't hear very well and simply hate talking on the phone) and I usually get a good response after that.

I've often thought about checking out Enfields as well.

Oh, and RRider turned me on to this guy's hilarious travelogue, which'll fuel yer fire:

http://www.obliviousthebook.com/

https://www.adventureriderradio.com/adventure-rider-radio-episodes/2017/4/13/an-oblivious-adventure-in-africa-on-a-royal-enfield
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:26 pm quote
Re: Royal Enfield Whinge N/S/R
Bill Dog wrote:
So not to be put off I emailed two RE dealers
Bill a phone call is better than a fax. Ask questions like how much notice do they need and how long before the purchase do they need the deposit etc. State dates etc..

Contact your current insurance company and ask them if they will provide coverage.
eeee-bip
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 pm quote
Gap
Of course an email is a customer.

It's an enquiry just like any other such as a walk in or a phone call and you ignore them at your peril no matter what the ticket price.

I'm not sure what world you're living in but mine is car sales and I'd say that at least a third to a half of communication is done by email.

It gives the seller the time to collate all of the answers for you which is the reason that I asked in that format.

As for reliability the Enfield is so basic it shouldn't go wrong.

Bill x
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:21 am quote
I had 4 email replies this week alone from my local RE dealer in Mitcham (South London). They actually seemed pretty good. Went for a test ride and quite enjoyed it. Thinking of getting one of the limited edition Pegasus models which looked lovely.

I understand what you mean about reliability but the couple of folk I've seen commuting on them seemed to think they were fine but clutch cables go and sometimes rear bulbs both probably both due to vibration. The bikes looked pretty simple to service yourself while on the road though the service intervals are fairly frequent if you're doing a lot of mileage. There isn't a lot of "inbuilt storage" on them though - there isn't any actually. The economy is great for long distance runs but you have to accept you'll be going along at 50-60mph else the bike starts to shake. The other minor worry is tubed tyres as they tend to deflate fast but on the open road you're a bit less likely to get punctures. You also don't want to run the EFI models low on fuel as the fuel pumps can overheat.

If I were you though I'd speak to RE direct - I think the boss of the company lives in Fulham and he's quite a forward thinking guy (the guys in Mitcham might be able to put you in touch). If you told him what you were doing, talk about how you'd promote your trip (blog etc) and maybe drop in to a few motorbike meet ups then you might find yourself with a free bike. When I went on a long trip all round the states, I spoke to triumph who were just starting out with the bonneville (I think) and they seemed fairly happy to give us a bike. Problem was I left it a bit late to ask them and they didn't have enough times to set me up.

Mike

PS they do a 350cc classic in the states which is a little smother and even more economical. They have a carb so they're likely to be a little more economical. If you're happy at 50mph then this might be an option. They're also cheaper. It might not work so well in the Rockies though.

PS2 if you do want to buy a bike and don't care particularly what bike it is then buying 2nd hand will lose you less money. Some dealers will offer to buy the bike back for 1/2 the money they sold it for.

Last edited by robinm on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 am quote
tdrake wrote:
Sorta piling on, but I've found few retail dealers of anything ever answer unsolicited email -- it's just not how they do business.

Sometimes I'll call 'em and explain I'd prefer email (I can't hear very well and simply hate talking on the phone) and I usually get a good response after that.

I've often thought about checking out Enfields as well.

Oh, and RRider turned me on to this guy's hilarious travelogue, which'll fuel yer fire:

http://www.obliviousthebook.com/

https://www.adventureriderradio.com/adventure-rider-radio-episodes/2017/4/13/an-oblivious-adventure-in-africa-on-a-royal-enfield
Sorry but when I was selling cars lots of sales started from an email that was revived by a perspective customer.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 am quote
Hi Bill. My observation from my area is that car dealers are light years ahead of motorcycle dealers in communication and software and apps to keep in touch with their customers and potential customers. It must have something to do with profit margins that car dealers can have the best of everything.

More than once I've been either ignored, blown off, or otherwise forgotten by motorcycle dealers, not just ignored emails, but lack of follow up after an in person visit where I left all my contact info and told them what I wanted to buy. They had the bike I wanted half out of the crate on their loading dock and actually brought me around to see it. I told them to call me when I can come back and ride it or at least start it up. Never heard from them. I bought the same model from another dealer.

But very recently- 3 weeks ago- both myself and my daughter were in the market for new cars. From just one internet inquiry, 4 Honda car dealers contacted me. All of them contacted me by phone, text, and email.
Even after we both made a purchase on the same day from the same dealer, all the other dealers still are contacting me. Even after I explain that to the person behind the emails or the person making the phone calls, and they promise to update their records, I'm still receiving emails and texts. Even the person at the dealer we purchased from that I made the original appointment with just emailed me asking why I hadn't come in!
Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 am quote
I also found this, a customer helpline (in the USA) which I believe is very new.
"A helpline for all things Royal Enfield"

https://royalenfield.com/usa/images/Call-Center-Banner-America.png
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 am quote
Yes I too get exasperated when a bike dealer doesn't come back to me regarding my emails. Yet, I've bought countless brand new cars and am currently doing so again, with just emails. Not once have I spoken to the dealer prior to going in to the dealership to collect the car, it's all done by email or through a website. Although I kinda get what others are saying about the fact the dealer you are emailing probably thinks you could be jerking him around. But any business worth it's salt should be replying to emails as if everyone of them is a genuine enquiry. That way they can see who is genuine, as you most clearly are! The loser here is the dealer.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Hi Bill. My observation from my area is that car dealers are light years ahead of motorcycle dealers in communication and software and apps to keep in touch with their customers and potential customers. It must have something to do with profit margins that car dealers can have the best of everything.

I was selling cars in 2002. In 2018 there is no reason for an email to a business to go unanswered.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:25 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:

I was selling cars in 2002. In 2018 there is no reason for an email to a business to go unanswered.
Seemingly so. but there are many reasons. Laziness. Sloppiness. Dumbness, as in not smart. General incompetence. Maybe 'no excuse' is a better term than no reason? IDK.

After all, I was RIGHT THERE at the dealership, speaking with the salesman AND THE OWNER, leaving all my contact info telling them I wanted to buy their bike they were uncrating, and to give me a call.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:48 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:

Seemingly so. but there are many reasons. Laziness. Sloppiness. Dumbness, as in not smart. General incompetence. Maybe 'no excuse' is a better term than no reason? IDK.

After all, I was RIGHT THERE at the dealership, speaking with the salesman AND THE OWNER, leaving all my contact info telling them I wanted to buy their bike they were uncrating, and to give me a call.
All I can think of is someone walked in after you and handed them cash Even then they should have contacted you to try and see if they could order one for you.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:14 am quote
I know one of the dealers Bill would have contacted has back-orders for over a dozen REs. I doubt he'd bother with replying to an email from an unknown person from overseas about one - they're very busy as it is. A phone call would work though.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:17 am quote
Guess these have become more reliable. Back in 2004 I tried buying one from my boss that he was selling. He refused to sell it to me because it was so unreliable.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Guess these have become more reliable. Back in 2004 I tried buying one from my boss that he was selling. He refused to sell it to me because it was so unreliable.
It's a completely new design. No inevitable drips of oil underneath.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
As for reliability the Enfield is so basic it shouldn't go wrong.
I agree that the design is simple, and that makes it conducive to DIY repairs. I also agree that the redesign of the engine has been a step in the right direction. On the other side of the coin, the Enfield has many of the same issues as the Stella (LML). The Stella is certainly a simple, and proven, design. That did not, however, make it reliable. Quality control issues and low cost/quality components take a bit of the shine off PTW production in India. Having said all that, I'm not saying the Enfield is to be avoided. Just understand what it is - and carry a selection of spare parts along with a service manual.

To better explain how I came to this opinion - my investigations into an Enfield several years ago lead my to a different thumper, the Suzuki S40. I ultimately bought one and rode it for several years. No more expensive new than an Enfield. Easy to find low mileage used S40s for around $2,500 or so in the US. Dealers and parts availability everywhere. And this bike virtually defines reliability. Good suspension, brakes that actually work, clockwork transmission, smooth running for a big thumper. The term bullet-proof genuinely comes to mind. Doesn't have the retro cachet derived from the original British Enfield - but if we are talking inexpensive AND reliable.....
Hooked
2019 GTS 300 Touring
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:44 pm quote
To use the words Royal Enfield and reliability in the same sentence would be an oxymoron.

I suggest a brand with a stronger dealer network in the US. My choice would be BMW but that might be a little rich for your blood. Honda would be my next choice followed by the other three in no particular order. Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki. The key is you budget and your expecataions.

Dealer get dozens of email inquires a day and will only respond to the best prospects. With your limited buget, and that fact that your 'out of town' and unable to stop by the shop to make a deal it's going to be tough.

Maybe a private deal on Ebay or Cycle Trader could work for ya.

Paul
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:13 pm quote
Bosch
I agree but nobody really cares if you ride across the USA on a Suzuki or for that matter a Harley Davidson.

It has to be something novel or at least quirky.

If I buy new and it fails I'll just call the dealer, however if I buy private and it breaks then I'm not in a great place.

I could do it on a Kymco but as ever their marketing dept seems to have an inability to reply.

Thank you for your supportive comments on emails by the way.

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:18 pm quote
Re: Bosch
Bill Dog wrote:
I could do it on a Kymco but as ever their marketing dept seems to have an inability to reply.

Kymco? Won't reply to You?

eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:26 pm quote
Claim
Yup, I tried it twice in 2016 and once last year and nothing came back.

I had a name who I believe was the head of marketing in Spartanburg and much as I tried there was no reply.

I can't say I didn't try.

Bill x
Hooked
Rally180
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm quote
I have a 2014 Royal Enfield with 16,000 miles on it. Vibration has taken its toll on 5 separate exhaust systems, I am on my third stock system right now. Other than that, the thing just keeps on running. Unfortunately the new Royal Enfield distributor in the USA sucks big time and I recommend you look at crossing the USA on the Yamaha 400 if you want a one lunger. I sure would miss the electric start, but your trip across the USA could be in serious jeopardy if you needed any support from Royal Enfield. You can literally wait months to get a simple part for your Royal Enfield through the current distributor. Also, the resale value of a used Royal Enfield is about $1000, especially if you need to sell it in just a few days.

Another nice bet for a cross country run would be to buy a used Vespa GTS from a dealer. Chances are the same dealer will buy it back from you after you finish your trip. A Vespa GTS is slightly faster than a Royal Enfield and smoother at speed.

I ride my Royal Enfield on the freeway all the time at about 70 mph on the speedometer. The bike is actually pretty smooth at that speed with the mirrors almost clear and little vibration in the handlebars or pegs. The frequent freeway runs might explain my many cracked mufflers. At least you can carry on extremely well with a crack in the muffler.
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm quote
Open
Crock, you're not too aware of my scooter history are you

I'm afraid that I can't entertain the use of a GTS for reasons that others will make obvious to you.

All I'll say is that I've burnt my bridges on that one ( I very much regret that ) which is why I was looking for advice on a Royal Enfield so thank you for that - very detailed.

Anything Japanese is a no no because as it has to be something special.

It has to be something with a personality, you know, worth doing.

More coming.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:11 pm quote
Well, you could always ride across the country on a Ural. Tons of personality. All kinds of room for gear - or you could take a passenger. Also some reliability issues, but one built in the last several years is much solider than an Enfield IMO. It even invites you to take some really backroads along the way. (but you realize this business of wanting reliability, and not wanting to have anything to do with Japanese bikes leaves you with darned few choices )
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 pm quote
bish
Yes I know.

I'm swiftly narrowing my choices aren't I ?

At least I know what I don't want.

I know that something that rhymes with Dymco would be a sensible choice but would it be easier to re-sell than a RE ?

Bill x
Hooked
2005 et4
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:41 pm quote
Ever considered a Janus? https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:41 pm quote
Well, no "Dymco" motorcycle available that I would ride across the country (the Spade is a bit small), but that does bring up one other idea which is not Japanese. After much fiddling around, the Genuine Scooter Company is about to release the G400 in the US. A thumper of similar size and weight to an Enfield that should be a better performer and more reliable. This probably doesn't work if you want it right now, but if we are talking about next Spring or whatever.....

http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine-scooter-company/exclusive-first-ride-genuine-g400c-motorcycle/
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm quote
Prize
Now doesn't that look interesting.

I like your thinking.

I kinda like that.

Bill x
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:51 pm quote
Plush
I talked to Janus's PR guy a little while ago and there was a bit of banter going about a possible coast to coast.

Sadly in the new year contact went very quiet then soon after they came out with their own.

Meh.

Bill x
Hooked
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm quote
I am going to say that some dealerships will certainly work with e-mails when it comes to buying a Vespa, I had responses from several dealerships when I was looking to buy my first Vespa, and both the 1 in Chicago area and Moto Europa in St. Louis were very quick with email responses. I decided that Moto Europa could meet my needs/wants best. Almost everything was arranged by e-mail, my working days made e-mails far easier than phone calls, and I made a trip down to see the scoot I wanted, do some paperwork and then the next trip down was with the truck to bring my LXV home. Due to 120+ miles with a brand new scoot, I did not want that break in riding to start with a very long trip, on a scoot I had no familiarity with, so it got a ride home in my old truck.
So, I am hoping you can find motorcycle dealerships that will work with you with e-mails, the time difference makes calls a bit challenging. And i want trip updates with photos, please...when you get to our side of the pond and start your travels.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue (SOLD)
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:56 pm quote
Hmmm.

Can't buy a bike because you don't live there and have no address for registration or insurance.

So you don't need a dealership you need a motorcycle rental business? The problem is they don't have an Enfield but you are willing to buy one.

So you/they have to come to an agreement on how the money/bike /registration changes hands.

Seems to me we are all focused on the lack of email conversations not on solving sourcing the bike etc.

Then again this is a shouda, coulda, woulda, iffy,maybe situation. Which is why nobody answers.
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:45 pm quote
Monster
I looked into the rental idea at the end of last year and the year before but the choice was limited to BMW's , a big Triumph and even bigger Harleys.

I costed it up but because the rental fee was one way it went up by about a half.

It was stupidly expensive.

So much so I thought it would be cheaper to buy then sell a bike when I'm done.

That's where the idea came from.

Bill x
eeee-bip
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 am quote
Zipper
Having said that I'be just sent - "sounds like Dymco" an email asking them how they are and to inform them of my ambitions just to see if there's any kind of reaction.

I initially discounted a scooter because I've already ridden the USA on one and a Dymco would be harder to sell than a used RE.

I'm not looking for a freebe, just some help with a few questions which is why I started the balls rolling with a few emails.

It gives the people with the answers time to think of a solution and on the point of that I can't thank you all enough for being so helpful so far.

Yes aiming for Spring/Summer 2019

Bill x
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(39,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Anything Japanese is a no no because as it has to be something special.
A fully restored(1978) CB400A/SR500 would be special.

Last edited by breaknwind on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123456Next
[ Time: 0.3052s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0379s) ][ Debug on ]