Royal Enfield Whinge N/S/R
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125 "Bean Alley" Kymco AK550 The War to end all Wars
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:31 am quote
Would you mind getting back to me over how your trip goes ?

Maybe when you get there you can ask them why they didn't answer my bloody email ?

Good place to start a ride from though.

They have a 2016 Bullet in there for $3995. Bargin.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:03 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
OK, we need some assistance from current Honda car owners to verify this.

I just purchased a 2018 CR-V. Reading the owner's manual last night I see that at the recommended time or mileage the vehicle reminds you to have maintenance done by showing numbered or lettered codes on the dash readout. (There is no maintenance schedule chart at all in the manual. I assume you just have to wait for the code to show and then you look up what that particular code means.)

Right there in the manual....
An "A" showing on the readout means to have the oil changed.
A "B" showing on the readout means to have the oil and oil filter changed.
Would never go over a year, I don't care what the car manufacture says; at that point I'll listen to the oil manufacture.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:50 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
OK, we need some assistance from current Honda car owners to verify this.

I just purchased a 2018 CR-V. Reading the owner's manual last night I see that at the recommended time or mileage the vehicle reminds you to have maintenance done by showing numbered or lettered codes on the dash readout. (There is no maintenance schedule chart at all in the manual. I assume you just have to wait for the code to show and then you look up what that particular code means.)

Right there in the manual....
An "A" showing on the readout means to have the oil changed.
A "B" showing on the readout means to have the oil and oil filter changed.
Would never go over a year, I don't care what the car manufacture says; at that point I'll listen to the oil manufacture.
I completely agree. And so does Honda. The manual also says, no matter not seeing a maintenance reminder, to do it anyway once a year has passed.
eeee-bip
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:50 am quote
ask
So Chrome or Redditch Colours ?

Bill x
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 pm quote
If it's for a coast to coast tour then does it matter? If it's for you long term then it depends on whether you like cleaning bikes. The chrome looks great but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it clean. The matt colours look lovely but, like the matt black Vespa, they require more effort to keep looking lovely. They are also easier to scratch. The gloss colours look very nice though - I thought the black with the cream strip looked fantastic. My one that's coming is matt green, probably not a clever choice, but it's a 2nd bike so I can just take it out when it's sunny.

If you're thinking about the looks of the bike then they also look great with a "diamond" engine guard. Preferably wrapped in rope. Then add a stem nut clock. You might also want to think about changing the mirrors to something either with stronger stems or to the short bar end mirrors (or just keep the speed to < 60mph).
eeee-bip
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:48 am quote
Gander
So tempted.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Classic-Chrome-500/173373026931?hash=item285dd67273:g:yLUAAOSwV21a1JMR

The military ones seem a bit fake to me so it would have to be a chrome or Redditch colour if i was buying it myself.

I'd ride anything in the US seeing as I wouldn't be keeping it.

Bill x
Ossessionato
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:23 pm quote
I'd just make them an offer (£3800). I suspect his wife is yelling at him for buying a bike and then never riding it. You could argue that a new bike only costs $4600 and you're losing out on that new bike "smell", the unknown running in and perhaps the warranty. Thing is it takes a few thousand miles for these bikes to bed in.

Know what you mean about the army version being a bit fake. The original one was light enough to be picked up by a bloke and lifted over hedges. These ones could of been dropped on the U-boat submarine pens to destroy them. Thing was I liked the idea of less chrome (I'm crap at cleaning bikes) and the style appealed plus it had panniers.

I guess you can't make a rational decision about one of these bikes - the rational decision would be to buy a Honda. In the end you're left with what appeals to your heart. An old cast iron RE would be great but they're a nightmare to look after. These are almost the same but without the continuous maintenance, have better mpg, have more mph and look better.

I have no real experience on RE though. My one arrives next week. I might join the haters in a month's time
Molto Verboso
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:26 am quote
I don't think this is a case where his wife is yelling at him.
Click the link in the ad "See other items" and you'll see he's selling 16 motorcycles. Must be a dealer. And the lament that you'd be missing out on that new bike smell and no warranty might just backfire when he tells you all the new bikes he has in stock!
Ossessionato
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:57 am quote
You're right. Though my wife is currently giving me "the look" for having 4 bikes in the garage.
eeee-bip
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 am quote
Bong
Without question he's a dealer but it doesn't mean it's a bad deal.

Having said that I can pick up a brand new one for £4500.

The chrome is easily the best looking.

Bill x
eeee-bip
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:17 am quote
Blast
Just look at this beauty.

Who wants to give me a lift ?

Bill x

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-ENFIELD-BULLET-CLASSIC-500-12-MILES-ONLY-IMMACULATE-/113164844369?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 'Ruby Roo'
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 am quote
Re: Blast
How about a one way train ticket and an introductory ride back?
Its what I did with Ruby Roo-all the way from Cumbria.
eeee-bip
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:06 am quote
Clang
An excellent point very well made.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:15 pm quote
inspector gadget
Me sisters fella delivers bikes .... https://srlogistics.co.uk/ ..... .. that one's up here ...... He wants to take me out for a delivery ride 😉
Ossessionato
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 am quote
That seems like a better price and personally I think that's a lovely paint job. It would be interesting to know why they've only covered 12 miles in 2 years though. I'm guessing it's not had any of the services it should of had and I don't suppose they'd be free now. It's not supposed to be a difficult bike to DIY but people do say the 1st service is the most important. Make sure they have the pillion seat somewhere. Also remember that model doesn't have the ABS brakes (not that you could skid the tyres on anything but snow) and it also has the drum rear brake which isn't wildly effective. The battery might need replacing if it hasn't been used. I'd go for it though. It would be a nice ride back as well.
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:59 am quote
"Listing has ended because the item is no longer available"

Bill, did you buy it?

I also don't see a price. What was he asking for it?
eeee-bip
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:01 pm quote
Gosh
No sadly it wasn't me.

He was asking £3650 or close to it.

It was 5 hours away as well as not being Euro 4.

I'll wait it out.

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:11 pm quote
robinm wrote:
You're right. Though my wife is currently giving me "the look" for having 4 bikes in the garage.
It takes four to get the look?

Promise?
Ossessionato
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 am quote
I promise - though it might be dependant on other mysterious factors as well. Anyway, what's the worst that can happen?

My new Royal Enfield arrived today and I'm really taken with it. The brakes on the older model (drum rear) were a little worrisome to be honest but I didn't even think about the brakes on the new model. So for that alone Bill I'd go with the Euro 4 model with disks both ends. Even so, with the engine braking, you don't need to use them often. I'll admit the bikes aren't fast but it puts a smile on your face as you ride along. It's faster than a car even during the run in period. The clutch is remarkably light, neutral wasn't too bad to find though the neutral light is impossible to read in daylight. The mirrors shake (a lot) but hey ho. The smile on your face seemed fairly permanent.

I still wonder if I'm too big for the thing but it might be because I'm sitting on top of the bike rather than in it. I find it quite comfortable but I've only done 30 miles so far. I'm fairly confident it will be fun for commuting and the odd weekend jaunt. It actually "feels" quite reliable in that everything just seemed to tick along quite merrily for the afternoon I've had it so far. The garage gave the bike to me full of fuel and, in the 30 miles I rode this morning, it didn't appear to use any. Actually there's no fuel gauge which might be a pain but I just opened the fuel cap and looked in before and after.

I have the Pegasus model but a more sensible choice would of been gloss black and cream model which is cheaper and also lovely to look at plus easier to keep clean. I'm really quite happy with the bike though. The wife even wants to go out on it! She didn't like sitting on the back of the GTS and she's never asked to go on the back of the NC but she immediately wanted to go out for a ride on this one. Obviously it's only the first day but I will report back over the next few weeks to say how things are going.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:43 pm quote
I just went on an excursion in Colorado with my R.E. Bullet 500 this weekend. Hwy 6 over Loveland Pass, Swan Mountain Rd, and CO 9 to Canon City (including Hoosier Pass), then back again the next morning.
The air was too thin for it to start without some throttle, but other than that... no problems.
Video to follow...

Best,
-Slashy
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 pm quote
This was my ride back over the pass on the morning of Sunday, August 5th, 2018.
Apologies for the crappy clarity; it had been raining and crazy- cold that morning.

Best,
-Slashy
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:12 pm quote
Me 'n' Squeaky at the summit on Saturday.

Best,
-Slashy
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:28 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Me 'n' Squeaky at the summit on Saturday.

Best,
-Slashy
The sound track is great, puts a smile in your face just to hear that engine put-putting
eeee-bip
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:48 am quote
Shine
Thanks for the review Robin.

I know what you mean about the brakes, they aren't what you call powerful are they ?

I will be plumping for a Euro 4 spec bike probably in chrome only because it's easily the best looking paint job.

They do make you smile don't they ?

Bill x
Hooked
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am quote
I didn't read all posts in this topic but from your initial post I gather you are looking for something cheap, basic and reliable to ride across USA and once the trip is done, sell it. What about Moto Guzzi? Currently, there is 96 California for sell in Colorado, 100K miles but looks like in very good condition, well taken care off and only $1,800
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=95550.0

I know, bike 17 years old with such mileage could produce problems during long trip but instead of paying $4K or more for RE I would pocket the difference to take care of possible issues. As far as Moto Guzzi reliability, please check Nick Adams YT channel https://www.youtube.com/user/nick949eldo/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1, his rides on 72 Eldorado or 74 Nuovo. He also publish few books about his trips, good read in my opinon https://www.amazon.ca/Beyond-Coffee-Shop-Riding-Northern/dp/1515311589/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533921722&sr=8-3&keywords=nick+adams

Good place to get more information about MG bikes, ask questions and if needed ask for help is Wildgoose forum http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php
eeee-bip
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 am quote
List
Thank you for the suggestion but there are two problems, well actually three.

1 It's in the middle of the country so call me old fashioned but I'd like to start a coast to coast ride at either end of the US.

2 It's Italian.

3 It's old and Italian.

It's a nice thought but by buying something brand new would suggest that its not going to fail in the first 2 years and if it does someone else is going to pay for it.

I once saw a documentary about Moto Guzzi where they were interviewing the test rider and he admitted that the company "skimped" on the electrics to save money.

No thanks.

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am quote
Re: List
Bill Dog wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion but there are two problems, well actually three.

1 It's in the middle of the country so call me old fashioned but I'd like to start a coast to coast ride at either end of the US.

2 It's Italian.

3 It's old and Italian.

It's a nice thought but by buying something brand new would suggest that its not going to fail in the first 2 years and if it does someone else is going to pay for it.

Bill x
Bill, what's your budget/target for the price of a bike? Maybe some of us could actively keep an eye out for you if we had things narrowed down a bit.
eeee-bip
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am quote
Stack
I'd say $6000 would be the maximum which is why I would have gone with the Enfield.

It really has to be in either San Francisco, LA or San Diego or Washington DC, Jacksonville, New York or Philadelphia.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am quote
Re: Stack
Bill Dog wrote:
I'd say $6000 would be the maximum which is why I would have gone with the Enfield.

It really has to be in either San Francisco, LA or San Diego or Washington DC, Jacksonville, New York or Philadelphia.

Bill x
Which brands would you consider?
Hooked
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:19 am quote
Fair enough
I hope you have enjoyable and save trip no matter what bike to decide to buy.

In week time, I'm leaving for the trip to Gaspé Peninsula (Quebec) on my 10 years old MG California Vintage. Total trip around 4K kilometers (both ways) and sure will be able to find out what old and Italian bike is capable of. So far bike has been rock solid, zero problems but this could change soon
eeee-bip
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am quote
Short List
Royal Enfield and Kymco.

It has to be a brand that has a certain amount of novelty so all of the Japanese and German makes are out.

There's a really cheap Bullet going in San Diego but they don't answer my emails.

Bill x
Ossessionato
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 pm quote
Re: Short List
Bill Dog wrote:
There's a really cheap Bullet going in San Diego but they don't answer my emails.
If you go for a bullet then make sure it's the uce version (unit construction engine). The older cast iron ones do sound better but the engines are 3 separate units that have been bolted together. Not as reliable or economical or as "powerful". The 350cc is nice in town but it actually makes the 500cc Classic seem fast on the open road. I was actually looking for a 350cc in the UK as it was carbed and I do nearly all my riding in the city. Sadly they don't sell them here.

You could try contacting the RE head office and tell them what your planing and what you've done in the past. They might be interested in supplying a new Himalaya or Continental for the trip if you're willing to write it up and take photos. I assume you'd write the trip up anyway and it saves you the bother of selling the bike at the end. The extra money might allow you to travel for a few more weeks.
eeee-bip
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 am quote
Much
A dealership has promised to do that for me but I seem to be waiting an age for anything tangible to happen.

I'm thinking that a Classic is a better bet than a Continental or a Himalayan for long distance touring.

The Continental seat is a joke and I won't need any off road capability.

Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:09 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Royal Enfield and Kymco.

It has to be a brand that has a certain amount of novelty so all of the Japanese and German makes are out.

Bill x
Call them.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:49 am quote
Re: Much
Bill Dog wrote:
A dealership has promised to do that for me but I seem to be waiting an age for anything tangible to happen.

I'm thinking that a Classic is a better bet than a Continental or a Himalayan for long distance touring.

The Continental seat is a joke and I won't need any off road capability.

Still, beggars can't be choosers.

Bill x
Bill Dog,
Yeah, I'd second that. The Classic is definitely the head- turner of the group, but I personally found the Standard Bullet 500 to be the most comfortable for long rides.

Best,
-Slashy
eeee-bip
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:55 am quote
Pace
Thank you.

And when you say long you mean ........?

Bill x
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 am quote
Re: Pace
Bill Dog wrote:
Thank you.

Bill x
Not "long" by your standards Longest ride I've taken so far is just 4 1/2 hours with periodic breaks to get the blood flowing.

There's a RE dealer down in Iowa City and I had a chance to test drive all the models. I loved the looks of the classic, but the standard was definitely the most comfortable IMO.

Best,
-Slashy
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 am quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Royal Enfield and Kymco.
The Genuine G400C just got it's CARB certification (several other models as well). Design and construction should be in the same class as Kymco, price should be in the same range as the Enfield, and this will be Genuine's first adventure with a motorcycle in the US.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic31391.html
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:36 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
Royal Enfield and Kymco.
The Genuine G400C just got it's CARB certification (several other models as well). Design and construction should be in the same class as Kymco, price should be in the same range as the Enfield, and this will be Genuine's first adventure with a motorcycle in the US.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic31391.html

It's about damn time! I actually bought my R.E. because I was sick and tired of waiting for the Genuine G400 to hit the market. This should be a darn good bike at an excellent price. I can't wait to see the reviews from owners.

Best,
-Slashy
Ossessionato
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:18 am quote
Re: Pace
Bill Dog wrote:
The layout of the bullet is more that conventional bike - read comfortable. It would also have better storage capabilities while the classic as it stands has almost none. Actually thinking about it, it has none. Some lovely canvas panniers came with my Pegasus, one of the reasons I got it, but they're so nice I can't quite picture me leaving them on the bike when it's parked. I just ordered some similar looking panniers off eby that were quite cheap and I'll use those for the time being. It might be that you can buy the pannier fixings for the standard classic but I don't know. The Euro 4 Bullet has the same workings as the new Classic, it's cheaper too but it's practical rather than pretty. I certainly wouldn't ignore the bullet.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.3266s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0956s) ][ Debug on ]