Royal Enfield Whinge N/S/R
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:
robinm wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Robin, you'll find if you push the limits a little with your Enfield eg: ride it a little harder now and again, and get plenty of miles on it, it just won't vibrate much at all. I've ridden several classics and none of them vibrated once they got past 3-4k miles. Cruising at 65mph was a smooth and tireless affair. Your engine is still just a youngster so be prepared for it to just keep improving.
Thanks for the info! I tend to use it for city commuting so I rarely get the chance to go above 40mph. Perhaps I should tell the wife I need to go on more long weekend rides if only for the sake of the bike? Does this mean after 4k miles I'll be able to see what's in the mirrors?
That explains why your bike is still vibrating so much Robin. It needs to get nice and hot and have a nice prolonged load at higher engine speeds put on it. Give it some real work in other words. You don't have to ride it flat out but a few good higher speed rides can make a difference. It will take some time but the bike will thank you for it and it will stop vibrating so much. And yes, the mirrors actually become useful when you have a few thousand miles on the clock. Enjoy!
In other words, give the Indian made Royal Enfield an Italian tune-up.
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept, Britishland, nr Urop
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:55 am quote
Pretty much Jim...
eeee-bip
Kymco X-iting 400 The Event Horizon
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 am quote
Gift
Go on, go and treat it like a two stroke.

Bill x
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:54 am quote
Pretty much the full line of Royal Enfields here in Ontario, but a little on the pricey side for an Indian make over of the original.
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 pm quote
EN82pg wrote:
Pretty much the full line of Royal Enfields here in Ontario, but a little on the pricey side for an Indian make over of the original.
They're actually fairly cheap here in the UK. The bikes themselves are quite different to the old UK model sold in the 70's - the engine is one unit rather than 3 sections bolted together. The oil cooling is much better than it was. The aluminum head allows better cooling too. There's hydraulic tappets, better bearings, disk brakes all round and ABS. The main thing is you're buying a bike with a lot of character and history but not needing to be an expert in mechanics to keep it running.
eeee-bip
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:42 pm quote
say
I'll second that.

I rode a 12 year old one a few months back and it felt like a tractor compared to the demo I borrowed.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere in the engineering dept, Britishland, nr Urop
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:21 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Yeah, they can be expensive depending where you are in the world. However, the 500cc engine is in fact a very modern engine and gives car like reliability and 88-90mpg at 60mph in real life riding conditions. It's actually hugely better than any of the Enfields we Brits made. Although the currentt 500cc engine is a British design that came from a team at Sheffield University (think it was that team, correct me if I'm wrong someone). The bikes don't usually give any trouble and are easy to look after and incredibly good fun to ride. Although the specs on paper don't look massively good, the engine does have a huge amount of torque available for it's size. It'll pull a house down!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 pm quote
The Genuine and Janus are both Chinese bikes. There are a lot of companies that sell Chinese bikes online. Special would be ordering one online and having it shipped to your hotel, and riding that across the country. Challenging too.
If it breaks, order another one.
eeee-bip
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:41 pm quote
Bong
The Janus is not a Chinese bike.

It's hand built in Indianapolis mostly by parts made the Amish but the engine is a Chinese unit based on a Honda.

Bill x
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:01 am quote
Re: Royal Enfield Whinge N/S/R
Bill Dog wrote:
So I was looking at crossing the USA in the middle of next year on a PTW but rather than rent a Harley and become a cliche I thought I'd buy something cheap, basic and reliable then sell it when I'm done.

Rather than buy my favourite brand I thought I'd look at a Royal Enfield Classic 500 which pretty much fitted all of my requirements.

So I test rode one, liked it then emailed the dealer to thank him for experience then asked about availability and delivery times etc.

I got nothing back.

So not to be put off I emailed two RE dealers on the west coast of the US telling them about my plans and could they advise me on insurance and registering it as I won't have an address to tie it to.

Once again I got nothing.

I actually want to buy one with cash ( over here as well as over there ) so why is it so difficult to get an answer ?

Bah !

Bill x
I'm late to the party. In mitigation I spent most of July in and out of hospital.

This mirrors my experience in 2011, and is why I didn't bu a Royal Enfield.

"Hi, can I test ride an Enfield?"

"Yes of course, we have two demos available."

Vroom vroom!

"I like that, I'd like to buy one please?"

"When would you like one?"

"As soon as possible. I have cash with me now for a deposit and I'll pay the rest in cash when the bike is ready."

"Well it's probably going to be September-ish by the time we can get that particular model in that colour." (I'd asked for the standard 500 in black so not exactly picky. It was March, so that meant waiting 6 months!)

"Ok could I buy one of the demo models, then?"

"No, I'm afraid not, we wouldn't be able to replace them until September."

"OK .... well if anything changes, call me, yes?"

"Yes of course we will."

We're nearly at 8 years now and no call, no emails, nothing.

Having undergone recent prostate surgery I'm now weighing up what bikes I can ride in the future. The Himalayan ticks a lot of boxes, if I can ride one without it harming me.

I've dispensed with the idea of contacting the original dealer and sent an email to one further away. I haven't heard anything back yet, but it was only a month ago!
eeee-bip
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:08 am quote
close
I have a good dealership close to me Cap.

Just ask eh ?

If you look at the start of this thread you'll see that I had a similar experience.

Bill x

Last edited by Bill Dog on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:36 am quote
Similarly the dealership round the corner from me in Mitcham managed to source my limited edition Pegasus model (there's only 1000 in world) inside a couple of weeks. Maybe you should give your dealer another call? The dealerships are a little more modern as well as the bikes these days. The Mitcham dealer has a Classic in black in the window at the moment and it's very nice. They also have a few Himalayans in stock as well.

PS I was in the shop this weekend and there was a guy sitting down in one of the comfy seats who looked like grandfather time. I assumed he was just in the shop to keep warm and was hoping for a free cup of tea. It turned out he was buying a new bike. I asked about him and they laughed, said he was 92 and had been coming to them for decades. It made me smile.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:52 am quote
robinm wrote:
PS I was in the shop this weekend and there was a guy sitting down in one of the comfy seats who looked like grandfather time. I assumed he was just in the shop to keep warm and was hoping for a free cup of tea. It turned out he was buying a new bike. I asked about him and they laughed, said he was 92 and had been coming to them for decades. It made me smile.
That's a nice one - it's always cool to hear that some can keep this hobby alive for their very high years. Inspiring!
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 am quote
RRider wrote:
robinm wrote:
That's a nice one - it's always cool to hear that some can keep this hobby alive for their very high years. Inspiring!
How about someone who's just turned 84 and had his PTW out for a run of 92 kms. Yesterday +8 C

Guess who.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:51 am quote
Good for you. Quite impressive actually.
Mike
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am quote
robinm wrote:
Good for you. Quite impressive actually.
Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll keep doing it as long as nature allows, hopefully for another 84.
Molto Verboso
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:24 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
RRider wrote:
robinm wrote:
How about someone who's just turned 84 and had his PTW out for a run of 92 kms. Yesterday +8 C

Guess who.
Okey, that is impressive! Especially as I know very well how +8C feels and, not so proud to say, it seems to feel colder year by year...
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:41 am quote
RRider wrote:
Okey, that is impressive! Especially as I know very well how +8C feels and, not so proud to say, it seems to feel colder year by year...
With my fleece vest, leather jacket, double denims and a ski mask, it wasn't too bad.
I know what you mean by the year by year thought.
Although once you hit 75 it seems to get warmer.
Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede"
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm quote
Re: close
Bill Dog wrote:
I have a good dealership close to me Cap.

Just ask eh ?

If you look at the start of this thread you'll see that I had a similar experience.

Bill x
Yes, it was that experience I was replying to, Bill. I'm late to the party ... as usual.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm quote
EN82pg wrote:
RRider wrote:
With my fleece vest, leather jacket, double denims and a ski mask, it wasn't too bad.
I know what you mean by the year by year thought.
Although once you hit 75 it seems to get warmer.
fwiw, my "winter" 45 degree riding kit consists of:
1) Wool tshirt
2) Wool turtleneck
3) Windproof fleece
4) Down puffy
5) Heavy riding jacket
6) Maybe silk glove liners under gloves inside mitts over heated grips.
7) Carefully situated heavy scarf and silk beanie (both a huge help!)
Fleece tights under heavy riding pants

And the trick is to put all of this before pushing the bike out of the garage and checking the oil and tire pressure so that by the time you hit the starter button you've raised your core body temp to 104 degrees.
Molto Verboso
2004 Vespa ET4, 2009 Vespa S150, Suzuki Burgman 200
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:52 am quote
In May 1981 I landed in New York with $10,000 in travelers cheques and a new-fangled unused credit card. I took a subway to Kings Cycles in Brooklyn (still there) listed as the Vespa dealer in the Yellow Pages. I signed a pile of cheques and the next day I picked up a P200 with mirror floor mat and luggage rack. I rode to Perth Amboy, New Jersey where I spent the night. In Ft Lauderdale the Vespa dealer replaced the faulty electronic ignition under warranty. I slept on the beach that night, unmolested despite many surprising offers of buggery under the stars. I traveled largely uninformed at random.
Six months later I left the Vespa in a friendís garage in San Francisco and ride the Great Siberian Railway home. That was one of many random journeys in my life. If you want to do it just do it. If you donít overthink it you canít be disappointed and your journey in some form will materialize. I was prompted on that one by Easy Rider the movie, and the use of a Vespa by Roberto Patrignaniís publicity of a ride to Tokyo printed in a book. Go, buy a bike any bike and ride. Or stay home and complain loudly about other people not caring about your plans.

03E912F7-1EDE-4430-9AA2-1F92A354C924.jpeg

eeee-bip
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 am quote
List
Noted.

Bill x
Enthusiast
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
eeee-bip
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am quote
Bonus
Kinda Wow.

Very Wow.

Thanks for that.

Bill x
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2007 MP3 250
The Royal Enfield Whinge NSR

I reckon RE ought to bring out a special trans-continental edition named just that for Billdog
eeee-bip
Must
The phone hasn't rung yet.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:36 am quote
conchscooter wrote:
ÖÖ...and ride the Great Siberian Railway home. That was one of many random journeys in my life. If you want to do it just do it.
I rode the Trans-Siberian once from Vladivostok to Irkutsk. I even bought one of those tea glasses you are holding from the steward as a souvenir.
Then I swam in Lake Baikal - but that is another story.

And yes, I agree - just do it is often the answer.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:
... the (Royal Enfield) 500cc engine is in fact a very modern engine and gives car like reliability....
I would be interested in hearing more about this car. A list of cars that are as reliable as a Royal Enfield motorcycle would really come in handy next time anyone's in the market for a car.

I've made my fair share of poor choices when choosing a motorcycle for a long distance ride, but the effects of those decisions sometimes turn into great experiences. One of the reasons BMWs are a great vehicle for long distance travel is the BMWMOA. Whatever you do end up riding, being able to contact a local member of the owner's organization can be a great asset when you have problems.
eeee-bip
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm quote
Claim
A BMW having problems ?

That could never happen.

I'd own one with a new one with a 3 year warranty but after that runs out they get very very expensive.

I've ridden a couple of RE Classics and if you stay below 60 mph you probably could have a comfortable ride long distance but above that you're going to lose your fillings and your jewellery.

Still want one though.

Bill x
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:54 pm quote
EN82pg wrote:

Guess who.
There is hope for me yet.
Molto Verboso
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
... the (Royal Enfield) 500cc engine is in fact a very modern engine and gives car like reliability....
I would be interested in hearing more about this car. A list of cars that are as reliable as a Royal Enfield motorcycle would really come in handy next time anyone's in the market for a car.
It's true though. Just don't confuse the 500 twin spark engine with the much earlier engines. The twin spark engines don't leak oil, once fully conformed don't vibrate to any real extent (if they do they are not fully conformed which takes anywhere between 5k-10k depending how it's ridden), and it won't break. Just put petrol in and ride it and ride it, and ride it!
eeee-bip
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm quote
Bosh
The Chrome Classic is still so tempting.

Bill x
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123456
[ Time: 0.3166s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0560s) ][ Debug on ]