OP
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Has anyone tried these fuels?
I currently use 98ULP (in all my vehicles) & am going to try e85 with my next tank in my car ('95 EG Honda Civic) just to see the difference.
My biggest concern with switching to e85 in Speedy, is that Speedy uses a LOT of fuel & as ethanol uses 30% MORE fuel & there is limited volume available (currently 17lt).
I've read the pros/cons on all of them, & most likely NitroMethane would make my motors last about as long as they often do...
I've used AvGas in my race car in the past & love it... specially the smell, but it's harder to get these days & expensive etc.
Methanol sounds like a good option, so hopefully someone here can help me learn a bit more.
UTC

Hooked
Rally180

Hooked
Rally180
UTC quote
Well here goes.....

1. e85 - You can try it but....beware that methanol mixtures will require more two stroke oil in the mix. I would start at 4% for a street bike and see how it behaves. You also need to rejet the carb to a larger size right away.

2. Nitromethane - I used to buy it by the quart for model airplane engines and run it in two stroke go carts after adding another 6 % oil to the mixture. This used to be legal until the "authorities" caught on. After rejetting, you will see a substantial horsepower gain -like 25% more power. I don't know if you can buy nitromethane fuel in the USA anymore.

3. Race gas - lots of different race gas brands is the USA. Primary purpose of using race gas is to increase the compression ratio and avoid detonation, so only minor gains to be made if you don't modify the motor or have no problem with detonation.

Be very careful mixing your own fuels! I probably took 15 years off my life by not paying attention to the toxicity of the materials involved! We were all idiots in the 70's.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0306s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0049s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]