[NSR] What's Pissing you off Today? II
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...252627...353637Next
Banned
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:10 pm quote
I'll take your advice on that one Jim. Hovers over button as I type.

I'll ask others to look up Fake Outrage while I do it.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:15 am quote
Umm. Mr. Do It Yourselfer has been working on upgrading a basement shower. Project has dragged on interminably already. There have been some complexities to it, one of which was leveling a sloping concrete floor. Needed to use leveling cement to flatten it. Thought I'd done a good job of blocking the drain, but not so much, and now I seem to have, yes, a blocked drain. Could have easily prevented that in hindsight, but of course made a few assumptions on the way (like the cement actually would set quickly and not ooze like water).

So, I'm a dipshit with plumbing. But then again I already knew that.

Weekend was going to be moving forward on the project. Might be calling a plumber on Monday.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:24 am quote
Leveling compound is like thick water.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:35 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Leveling compound is like thick water.
Which is now very hard water.

Edit: Who woulda thunk? There's a concrete dissolver out there......
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 am quote
Some idiot decided to run across the street causing the car in front of me to slam on it's brakes and me slam on mine on the Ural. I was able to JUST miss hitting a car and was able to steer out of the way while braking. I think my heart is just starting to get back to a normal beat... The advanced training I've taken I'm sure helped even on the Ural and I left enough distance between me and the car in front. I've noticed in General that drivers are god awful today... is there something about the day after boxing day?
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:25 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
The advanced training I've taken I'm sure helped even on the Ural and I left enough distance between me and the car in front.
Really? You needed to take a course to know that you need to allow room to brake when following?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
The advanced training I've taken I'm sure helped even on the Ural and I left enough distance between me and the car in front.
Really? You needed to take a course to know that you need to allow room to brake when following?
Why are you being a dick? You know I did not mean that exactly. Sorry you are having a bad day and need to be rude to someone on an online forum for no real reason at all.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:39 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Why are you being a dick? You know I did not mean that exactly. Sorry you are having a bad day and need to be rude to someone on an online forum for no real reason at all.
This must loose something in the translation or what ever!

Saying someone needs to take a course to know to allow room who just said:
"I left enough distance between me and the car in front."

Sounds strange to me, unless one says that if you took this course no matter how stupid another driver is you would never have to apply brakes in other than very gentle fashion.

In my opinion, and it is worth what you are paying for it, no matter how careful you are there is always going to be the chance some cellphone addicted jerk who you may have to depend on your skills in braking to avoid!
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:52 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Harbinger wrote "and I left enough distance..." indicating that taking the course and leaving the distance were two separate things.

If he had meant that he needed the course to know that he shouldn't follow too closely, he would have written, "The advanced training I've taken I'm sure helped even on the Ural so I left enough distance between me and the car in front"

The grammar police
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:58 am quote
Thank you grammar police . Yeah I could have put it better but obviously I meant that I learnt enough to keep my cool, pull in the clutch, downshift and steer away from the danger without panicking. I panicked a LOT afterwards. In my mind it was inferred that these are things the training would teach you.

Yup, some guy did drop his cell phone in the middle of the road and had to run out in to have traffic without looking.

Last edited by Harbinger on Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:58 am quote
I think steering out of the way means you didn’t leave enough braking room.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:01 pm quote
znomit wrote:
I think steering out of the way means you didn’t leave enough braking room.

You can only leave so much braking room in a city the size of Toronto. It's impossible as someone will just cut in front of you and in this case it was full on slamming the brakes. Do you always leave enough room for that?

But jebus.... where they hell is anyone saying, I'm glad you're OK... Man next time I will crash just to get some compassion around here. Tough crowd.... I almost really got messed up if I did go ass over tea kettle. IT would have been pretty bad.

There is a reason I left all other forums online, too easy to hide behind a keyboard and be a dick/smartass. I'm not saying that is what most of you meant to do here but this place is starting to get a little ugly. Must be the holidays or something. I try and go out of my way to not be rude online, it's not worth it and I hope MV does not go the way of most other boards.
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:57 pm quote
Well knowing what I know about driving a Ural with side car now after that video, I have respect for your ability to deal with that situation. Glad you are ok.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:15 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
You can only leave so much braking room in a city the size of Toronto. It's impossible as someone will just cut in front of you and in this case it was full on slamming the brakes. Do you always leave enough room for that?

But jebus.... where they hell is anyone saying, I'm glad you're OK... Man next time I will crash just to get some compassion around here. Tough crowd.... I almost really got messed up if I did go ass over tea kettle. IT would have been pretty bad.
As a fellow sidecarist I'm glad you made the right choices at the time. One could argue that a sidecar is by nature an unstable vehicle due to the asymmetrical design. Sure it usually won't fall over in a panic braking situation but that is not always the case.

And if we are going to start blaming one for operating a dangerous vehicle everyone on this forum would be sharing the blame!

One can rely on stopping distance alone to avoid an impact or one can decide to use every possible means to avoid an impact, such as steering along with braking. Only the person there at the time is really qualified to make the judgment call as to what is the best thing to do at the time.
Enthusiast
2020 GTS300 HPE Super Sport, 2005 GT 200L, 1978 P200E, 2010 S50 4V, 1966 Blue Badge (Polini), 1965 90 (Malossi), Honda Helix, Italjet Velocifero
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:22 pm quote
Yes. I was just starting to get more active here because I bought a new bike and have a few projects, but a few folks here are like narcissistic teenagers. Hopefully the site remains alive and searchable for its content, but I refuse to eat at a middle school lunch table. Hopefully the moderators get things civil and positive.
kshansen wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

As a fellow sidecarist I'm glad you made the right choices at the time. One could argue that a sidecar is by nature an unstable vehicle due to the asymmetrical design. Sure it usually won't fall over in a panic braking situation but that is not always the case.

And if we are going to start blaming one for operating a dangerous vehicle everyone on this forum would be sharing the blame!

One can rely on stopping distance alone to avoid an impact or one can decide to use every possible means to avoid an impact, such as steering along with braking. Only the person there at the time is really qualified to make the judgment call as to what is the best thing to do at the time.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:27 pm quote
rmwill wrote:
Hopefully the moderators get things civil and positive.
It pisses me off that we have to do quite so much though.

However, it's the season for a rash of "Grumpy Old Git" syndrome to erupt. Booze, putting up with family, avoiding THAT topic...

Here's to a peaceful New Year.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:11 pm quote
jimc wrote:
rmwill wrote:
Hopefully the moderators get things civil and positive.
It pisses me off that we have to do quite so much though.

However, it's the season for a rash of "Grumpy Old Git" syndrome to erupt. Booze, putting up with family, avoiding THAT topic...

Here's to a peaceful New Year.
Agreed.

Thanks for the kind words from those that understand what stopping a sidecar in an emergency situation is like. Ugh... I may have been a little overreacted but I was still coming down from a close call. It's a LOT of weight to slam the brakes on and yes it did lock up a bit and I had to steer to avoid the cars that slid out in front of me. It all happened very, very fast. Downshifting and letting the engine assist in the braking was a bit part I think. The brembos are good but we were all accelerating from a light and the guy literally came out of nowhere as far as I could tell to save his phone.

The holidays always seem to make people grumpy. My wife is back from her parents and today is "our" Christmas. We're about to get in to our tub and have a bath together and then Indian is being delivered for 8 and we will open gifts and just enjoy what we have. Nothing kinky in the tub so no it's not TMI. Just some music and a bottle of champagne. A nice quiet night sounds good to me.
Banned
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 pm quote
Advice
Don't worry Harbinger.

Leuthold is pretty good at advising others how to ride.

Been there myself.

Ride safe my friend.

Bill x
Banned
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:27 pm quote
More Advice
I havn't done Christmas for the past two years.

It's very liberating to say no to everything at this time of year.

Birthdays are better.

Bill x
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:38 pm quote
jimc wrote:
it's the season for a rash of "Grumpy Old Git" syndrome
Hey, I resemble that remark...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:44 am quote
Re: Plain/Plane
jimc wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
When 1 person on my Americans Airlines flight on the way home has a nut allergy means that 370 people can't enjoy a bag of Planter's best.

That pisses me off.

Take a boat.

Bill x
You can't forgo peanuts for a few hours so that someone else doesn't get deathly ill?
I get your point BUT WTF has happened? I don't think the medical community has figured it out yet. I'm not "that" old but when I was a kid a PB&J sammie was a very common thing to find in a lunch box. It's really very strange...
Blame the Dettox society and baby formula. If kids were given things in small doses right from the start (via mother's milk) instead of living in a 'hygiene bubble', I bet most allergies and many diseases just wouldn't appear. If they did, they'd probably be less severe. Build those immune systems early!
Spent some time destroying my kids sense of self worth over pictionary tonight. For peanut butter my youngest drew a picture of one of her friends swelling up.

Birthday parties... about a dozen kids and we have to cater for peanut free, dairy free, gluten free and the odd vegetarian.
Addicted

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:20 am quote
Re: Advice
Bill Dog wrote:
Don't worry Harbinger.

Leuthold is pretty good at advising others how to ride.

Been there myself.

Ride safe my friend.

Bill x
. He has earned the right! Take the advice or leave it. Why gang up on someone? Oh, thats the norm here..and that pisses me off!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:26 am quote
znomit wrote:
jimc wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
When 1 person on my Americans Airlines flight on the way home has a nut allergy means that 370 people can't enjoy a bag of Planter's best.

That pisses me off.

Take a boat.

Bill x
You can't forgo peanuts for a few hours so that someone else doesn't get deathly ill?
I get your point BUT WTF has happened? I don't think the medical community has figured it out yet. I'm not "that" old but when I was a kid a PB&J sammie was a very common thing to find in a lunch box. It's really very strange...
Blame the Dettox society and baby formula. If kids were given things in small doses right from the start (via mother's milk) instead of living in a 'hygiene bubble', I bet most allergies and many diseases just wouldn't appear. If they did, they'd probably be less severe. Build those immune systems early!
Spent some time destroying my kids sense of self worth over pictionary tonight. For peanut butter my youngest drew a picture of one of her friends swelling up.

Birthday parties... about a dozen kids and we have to cater for peanut free, dairy free, gluten free and the odd vegetarian.
So a real free-for-all.

We're beyond the birtday party stage but the problem with one of our daghter's friends is feeding her anything. A dear kid but she has some issues.
Addicted

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:59 am quote
Free for alls are fun, especially among friends!.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:02 am quote
It looks like I really stepped in it yesterday with my comment.

It certainly sounded like the instruction and leaving space were connected, but the grammar police pointed out my error.

And I could have been less snarky.

I am pleased that you and your Ural came out of it unscathed.

By the way, I wasn’t having a bad day. My grown children are home and we were checking out possible sites for our son’s wedding. I was hanging out with our daughter while they looked around.

Sorry for having created a small storm in the community.

Bill
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:41 am quote
znomit wrote:
As a kid I was sent to chicken pox parties...
Banned
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:37 am quote
Bowl
thnk whn t's y nd y'v bn rdng snc y wr 17, sd t rd 60,000 mls yr, cmpltd 9 rnbtts nd 1 Bmbrnr, rddn crss th S twc nd rddn th wdth f Spn nd th lngth f Frnc twc n tw dys nd bt, dvc n hw t rd bcms bt nwlcm.

t's bt lk m gvng Nck Sndrs dvc n drctns.

t's nt gng t hppn.

Bll x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:50 pm quote
Re: Bowl
Bill Dog wrote:
I think when it's you and you've been riding since you were 17, used to ride 60,000 miles a year, completed 9 Ironbutts and 1 Bumburner, ridden across the USA twice and ridden the width of Spain and the length of France twice in two days and a bit, advice on how to ride becomes a bit unwelcome.

It's a bit like me giving Nick Sanders advice on directions.

It's not going to happen.

Bill x
No it's not. It's actually the reverse; no one is trying to give you advice.

It's much more like the 80-year old dude sticking his nose into EVERY conversation because he knows EVERYTHING. "I've been around, you know...". And the truth is, no one really cares after the tenth time.
Banned
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 pm quote
All of it
And that why our seniors are so interesting to listen to.

They've done it. They've done it all.

This is why I'll listen to them rather than those with less experiences who think they know better.

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:48 pm quote
Re: Bowl
Bill Dog wrote:
I think when it's you and you've been riding since you were 17, used to ride 60,000 miles a year, completed 9 Ironbutts and 1 Bumburner, ridden across the USA twice and ridden the width of Spain and the length of France twice in two days and a bit, advice on how to ride becomes a bit unwelcome.

It's a bit like me giving Nick Sanders advice on directions.

It's not going to happen.

Bill x
Back in the day, Wilt Chamberlain claimed to have bedded 20,000 women during his career.

I'll just leave that there.
Banned
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:51 pm quote
Fabricate
Yeah, I can pretty much back that up.

Want to see the receipts ?

Bill x
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:18 pm quote
I was thinking about posting something to this thread but was just wondering how old one has to be to qualify as a "Grumpy Old Man" who is interesting to listen to?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:21 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
It looks like I really stepped in it yesterday with my comment.

It certainly sounded like the instruction and leaving space were connected, but the grammar police pointed out my error.

And I could have been less snarky.

I am pleased that you and your Ural came out of it unscathed.

By the way, I wasn’t having a bad day. My grown children are home and we were checking out possible sites for our son’s wedding. I was hanging out with our daughter while they looked around.

Sorry for having created a small storm in the community.

Bill
No harm, no foul really especially as you have apologized. Thank you for that.

I over-reacted as well but was at the time coming down off a pretty shaky experience. Not only could I have been really hurt, how much do you think repairs cost to a Ural? We think about work on a Vespa is expensive? I'm sure insurance would have covered it if I wasn't hurt but then it would be the wait the cops, filling out the report, etc, etc. I was just on my way to get a bottle of Champagne for my wife and I to have on our Christmas.

Not be beat a dead horse here and so I am not picking on you. But that kind of snarky comment and znomit's little friendly advice was not welcome and we see too much of that here lately. I usually think znomit is pretty funny but I thought that little comment in bad taste at the expense of me just to be funny. I'm not perfect either and am guilty of similar things. I'm not saying I want a hug-fest here but this place is becoming more toxic and it really is only a few people contributing to it. The thing is once things like that become common for a board is when the place falls to shit and the good people leave. We are already seeing that here and I would hate MV to become more of a wasteland than it already is.

I know a few of the hardcore "this is a scooter" site get a little frustrated when topics go off the rails. If it's in good fun I think that is OK as long as the serious questions also get answered. That or we make a rule that we need to stay on topic, I could live with that. NSR and SSR can still happen and those fo us that like to banter can stick to that.

As far as Mods goes it really feels like just Jim is having to carry the load, which I'm sure isn't easy seeing where things are going lately.

Anyway we'll see what 2020 brings but hopefully some of the crap stops soon and we can get back to having fun and talking about the things we love.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:55 pm quote
Re: Fabricate
Bill Dog wrote:
Yeah, I can pretty much back that up.

Want to see the receipts ?

Bill x
Naw.

It's just numbers.

Bragging rights, sure.
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:15 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
I was thinking about posting something to this thread but was just wondering how old one has to be to qualify as a "Grumpy Old Man" who is interesting to listen to?
Im 39 and hit the "grumpy old man" stage at 30. ha! Now I'm at the can't remember crap anymore, and walk around with shit eating grin stage. But probably not interesting to listen to. I think you are safe to join. ha!
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:15 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
I know a few of the hardcore "this is a scooter" site get a little frustrated when topics go off the rails. If it's in good fun I think that is OK as long as the serious questions also get answered. That or we make a rule that we need to stay on topic, I could live with that. NSR and SSR can still happen and those fo us that like to banter can stick to that.

As far as Mods goes it really feels like just Jim is having to carry the load, which I'm sure isn't easy seeing where things are going lately.

Anyway we'll see what 2020 brings but hopefully some of the crap stops soon and we can get back to having fun and talking about the things we love.
I don't see this so much as a "scooter site" as a site for people who share an interest in (or love for) scooters to share a variety of things with each other. There are a lot of interesting folks here, and I learn a lot, get some laughs, and also feel a connection with some good people.

Sometimes the discussion can get more heated and personal than is necessary and I appreciate the mods stepping in. I even got "timed out" once for a post that I thought was interesting and informative, but really didn't belong here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:43 pm quote
I see someone came along and gave me a negative for being not happy bill was being snarky to me and upvoted him for his snarly comment. He even admitted he was.

I'm done with this place for a while. Have fun guys, Maybe I'll be back. SO being a dick gets you good karma... nice to know. It actually makes me a little sad, for the most part I liked it here and there are some good people.

Queue, "we don't care" or "you'll be back" or other similar comment in 4,2,3.....

This place has become toxic just like pretty much everything else online where people can hide behind a keyboard or phone.

FWIW, I wasn't the one to hand out ANY negative karmas on this thread.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:56 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
I see someone came along and gave me a negative for being not happy bill was being snarky to me and upvoted him for his snarly comment. He even admitted he was.

I'm done with this place for a while. Have fun guys, Maybe I'll be back. SO being a dick gets you good karma... nice to know. It actually makes me a little sad, for the most part I liked it here and there are some good people.

Queue, "we don't care" or "you'll be back" or other similar comment in 4,2,3.....

This place has become toxic just like pretty much everything else online where people can hide behind a keyboard or phone.

Whoever gave you a negative was being a dick. Don't go off on one you are much better than to be sent away by insensitive people.

We like you here and I know the site has been enhanced by your presence, I have also been watching the exchanges and doing my very best to not make things worse by getting myself involved, I'd still rather keep out of it but not at the cost of good people like yourself leaving this great forum.

I've had to redact the remainder of this post for fear of breaking forum rules.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:58 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:

Well this rather pisses me off. Hope to see you soon.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS / 78 P200 / ET4x2 / ET2 / GT60x2 /16 Prima Anniversary/ 03 a Ruckus / 2021 Sean Wotherspoon x2 / 2013 946
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:20 pm quote
[NSR] I'm Out

This thread ^

SDG
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...252627...353637Next
[ Time: 0.4868s ][ Queries: 25 (0.3483s) ][ Debug on ]