[NSR] What's Pissing you off Today? II
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...262728...343536Next
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm quote
The karma thing is very clearly a tool for favoritism among users on here. I think people put too much importance on it. You are clearly invested in this community and know who your friends are so don't worry about the occasional ratings that you might disagree with. I may not always agree with your opinions but you definitely contribute to the community, and I respect that. We've all gotten our share of random negatives.

For what it's worth, I've noticed the nsm guys really don't care much about the karma system much, being handed out at a much lower rate. People post feedback and everyone is helpful regardless of karma, hence it builds slower for those who stick mostly to nsm. I dont know that what I'm trying to say is getting to a point or it's helpful at all, other than don't worry about it. Get what you want out of this site regardless of other people. There is always gonna be some shit to deal with internet or not. This place and it's karma system is relatively harmless.

It is addicting though so stepping away for a while helps remove yourself from the BS.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:28 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
For what it's worth, I've noticed the nsm guys really don't care much about the karma system much, being handed out at a much lower rate. People post feedback and everyone is helpful regardless of karma, hence it builds slower for those who stick mostly to nsm.
Very helpful I think.

T5bitza69's bell is ringing loud and clear here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:32 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
For what it's worth, I've noticed the nsm guys really don't care much about the karma system much, being handed out at a much lower rate. People post feedback and everyone is helpful regardless of karma, hence it builds slower for those who stick mostly to nsm.
Very helpful I think.

T5bitza69's bell is ringing loud and clear here.
I need to disagree.
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Benelli Leoncino 500. I don't care. You can quote me.
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:53 am quote
Canned
Dog Coats.

I mean how the hell did they manage before ?

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:47 am quote
Rats!
Literally. About two weeks ago there was a lot of rustling under the counter or dishwasher in the kitchen. Our cats found it fascinating. We were trying to figure out what it was. Too noisy for a mouse. My first thought was, as we've had chipmunks getting under our siding in the past that somehow one came out of hibernation in the warm weather and invaded the house.

The sound went away, we forgot....

Two days ago, our daughter was cleaning her room (for the first time in months) and discovered a microwaveable hot pack on the floor in the corner that had dropped there and was forgotten. Big hole in it, and apparently filled with what looks like barley, spilled on the floor. Definitely rat material. Didn't tear the room apart, but no obvious entrance/exit holes anywhere. Put some poison down, which of course went untouched.

Wishful thinking, but thought, hey, who knows if it's still around, and maybe moved out.

Wife woke briefly in the night, heard some shuffling noises, but assumed it was our night owl daughter awake and making the noises. Discussed at breakfast, daughter said she was asleep before midnight. Uh-oh.

Just got a message at work saying she discovered a package of chocolate by the hall closet that had been chewed on.

So, fair to say, we still have a rat. Two options....put out bait and sticky traps and wait, or start looking for holes, etc. I'm a bit nervous this may potentially yield a direct confrontation or escape....so, a) me and my eradication team scream and run out of the house, b) it escapes and runs into our bedroom or something, or c) I get to be heroic and slay the beast.

Advice, sympathy, random ponderings welcome. Anybody have a small-bore shotgun? It was my dad's ratcatcher of choice if he could corner them....
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:12 am quote
Rats
This may help. Nearly every spring we hear scratching under our house. Since we live in a somewhat rural area there are lots of critters. I decided to try using a 10 hour cat meowing recording on YouTube. I placed an old iPhone near where the scratching sound was heard and after several nights no more scratching. It has worked for the past ten years. What ever has gotten into the crawl space of our house is deathly afraid of cats.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:18 am quote
Do not use poison because then you have a dead rat in your house that will stink for weeks.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:25 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Do not use poison because then you have a dead rat in your house that will stink for weeks.
+1

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:26 am quote
I'm going to guess rats might actually be worse than raccoons in the attic.
At least those stayed out of the living areas....

Still made a hell of a mess.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:06 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
I'm going to guess rats might actually be worse than raccoons in the attic.
At least those stayed out of the living areas....

Still made a hell of a mess.
Friend had a family in the ceiling of a (thankfully) unattached garage. I think they decided to demolish it.

Same people remodeled their bathroom and found, IIRC about 20 mouse carcasses in the wall. Must have used poison. Wonder if there were a lot of insinuations/accusations about bathroom smells during that time.

Troutbum, wondering if loud noises would have a similar deterrent effect? AFAIK we don't have screamers in the house, but that may change after I get home and start looking around with my "eRATication team" (i.e. wife and daughter)....
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:18 am quote
Re: Rats!
fledermaus wrote:
I get to be heroic and slay the beast.

Advice, sympathy, random ponderings welcome. Anybody have a small-bore shotgun? It was my dad's ratcatcher of choice if he could corner them....
Better a trap ... deadly and safe.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:40 am quote
If we don't have any success tonight, we may have to watch Willard on Netflix for entertainment.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 pm quote
We use a live capture trap that we got off amazon. The first time we caught one, the gf took it to the pound so someone could adopt it as a pet. Needless to say, they don't adopt out wild rats. I was laughing so hard when she described how they responded when she tried to convince them it might be a pet, so someone would adopt it and give it a good home. All the time, it looked and acted like a wild rat caught in a trap.
So we ended up taking it to a fenced in vacant lot and letting it go. Since then, it's been joined by a couple more.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:21 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
We use a live capture trap that we got off amazon. The first time we caught one, the gf took it to the pound so someone could adopt it as a pet. Needless to say, they don't adopt out wild rats. I was laughing so hard when she described how they responded when she tried to convince them it might be a pet, so someone would adopt it and give it a good home. All the time, it looked and acted like a wild rat caught in a trap.
So we ended up taking it to a fenced in vacant lot and letting it go. Since then, it's been joined by a couple more.
illegal to relocate wildlife up here...so if you get squirrels in your attic...have a heart trap with some peanut butter followed by a swim in a drum of rain water
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:42 pm quote
We had one living in our laundry for a while. I was dead against poison until I found it crawling up the back of my kegerator. Put down some Talon(Brodifacoum) and a few nights later found it crawling in the toilet bowl. With a bit of help it made it's way around the bend. Ugh.

Since then the cat has got pretty good at catching rodents. My advice would be to get a cat. Or another cat.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:42 pm quote
Thirty years ago, I was awakened at 2:00 AM by a noise coming from under the sink in the kitchen of my old house.

I got up, walked into the kitchen, opened the cabinet door and was staring at a rat who took a quick break from dining on whatever was in the trash can to look me straight in the eye.

I closed the cabinet door.

Then tried to make a plan.

I couldn't leave it there.

It was way too late to go buy and set a trap.

I couldn't turn over the trash can and let it roam around the house.

I had a big fat yardstick in the closet.

I got it out, stood in front of the cabinet, opened the door and then proceeded to beat on the little animal until it stopped moving.

Then bagged the trash and put it out in the big trash can out back.

Mission accomplished.

I never like to hurt anything, but my options were limited.

Bill
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:47 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Yeah, someone else suggested a live trap, but it's not exactly easy to release an animal into the wild that doesn't want to live there......

Znomit, we already have three cats. If my wife gets one more cat, I'm going to get a fourth scooter....oh, wait....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:49 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I had a big fat yardstick in the closet.

I got it out, stood in front of the cabinet, opened the door and then proceeded to beat on the little animal until it stopped moving.

Then bagged the trash and put it out in the big trash can out back.

Mission accomplished.

Bill
You're the man!

Doing anything tonight? I'll pay your airfare....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:07 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Znomit, we already have three cats. If my wife gets one more cat, I'm going to get a fourth scooter....oh, wait....
I'd be at the pet shop buying rats until she decides she needs another cat.
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:34 pm quote
Obligatory UB40
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:05 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I got up, walked into the kitchen, opened the cabinet door and was staring at a rat who took a quick break from dining on whatever was in the trash can to look me straight in the eye.
Could be a Siberian Hamster.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 am quote
DUDE!!! Decided to ride today as it was only in the low 40's (4.4C). Took off the new scooter cover I got. I still had my seat cover on underneath. As I was taking ot off it ripped in 2 different locations?! It's BRAND FREAKING NEW! It was installed in September!!! ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:53 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Not a good idea or legal in many places. Just kill them. Lots of times transferred animals will be killed in vicious territorial fights.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:38 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Umm. Mr. Do It Yourselfer has been working on upgrading a basement shower. Project has dragged on interminably already. There have been some complexities to it, one of which was leveling a sloping concrete floor. Needed to use leveling cement to flatten it. Thought I'd done a good job of blocking the drain, but not so much, and now I seem to have, yes, a blocked drain. Could have easily prevented that in hindsight, but of course made a few assumptions on the way (like the cement actually would set quickly and not ooze like water).

So, I'm a dipshit with plumbing. But then again I already knew that.
Look at the bright side you have taught me a new word today:

Internimably...

I am going to be using that tomorrow all day long. I have a knack for plugging in words into sentences I'm trying to make sense of what I'm saying. 🤠 I can't even spell it!

Interminably ...

PS and I am even getting better with my BBCode. It's coming back to me! Let me take my cowboy hat off now. 🤠
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:45 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Have I quoted you before? I am sure I have I just don't remember!

No poison for rats you're not only going to have dead rodents in between the walls but you're going to have rat's poop with poison all over the 🏠.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 pm quote
Coming out of work tonight, bit more cautious than usual because it's wet.
Look right. Car long long way away.
Look left. Clear
Look right as I start to take off. Car pretty close really.
Grabs brakes.
Car screams by, I watch it under take someone, overtake someone, and go through a red.

Look right. Clear.
Look left. Clear.
Hear the sirens and look right. Cops scream by.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:12 am quote
znomit wrote:
Look left. Clear
Grabs brakes.
Car screams by, I watch it under take someone, overtake someone, and go through a red.

Look right. Clear.
Look left. Clear.

Well written.

Well done!
Addicted
2013 GTS 300ie
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Look left. Clear
Grabs brakes.

Look right. Clear.
Look left. Clear.

Glad you missed it!
Reminds me of that scene from Pitch Black (Vin Diesel movie):
“I thought you said it was clear!”
“I said it LOOKED clear!”
“Well, how does it look now?”
“...It looks clear.”
[url]
There are certain scenarios that need to just stay on the silver screen and outta real life.
Hooked
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:13 pm quote
Tesla ran a stop sign and turned left in front of me, almost hitting me (I had no stop sign), then proceeded to go 10 BELOW the speed limit. Glad I only had one block to go, and left a parade of probably very angry people on their lunch break in his wake.

And I'm moving to a new apartment on Friday and I literally cannot brain, my thought process is so overloaded with all that I have left to do. Can it be Saturday yet?
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 am quote
That I didn't go to the 5am workout nor did I ride in to work today.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 am quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
That I didn't go to the 5am workout nor did I ride in to work today.
In my best Gomer Pile voice; SHAME, SHAME, SHAME, Shame on you.
Get out tonight and do a double work out
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:45 am quote
sdscooterista wrote:
Tesla ran a stop sign and turned left in front of me, almost hitting me (I had no stop sign), then proceeded to go 10 BELOW the speed limit.
tesla drivers are the new prius drivers. ugh, sooo many in our neighborhood, so so many.
Hooked
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm quote
tonyc wrote:
tesla drivers are the new prius drivers. ugh, sooo many in our neighborhood, so so many.
Don’t lump all Pruis drivers together. We’ve had at least one Prius since 2011 and we are not bad drivers

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm quote
labphoto wrote:
A couple of weeks ago,
What sort of car does the seller drive?
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 am quote
Re: a couple of weeks ago.....
I thought this was already discussed and the topic locked and you were told to not involve everyone in it.
Addicted

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 am quote
Yup! I noticed that. Once is enough.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 am quote
sdscooterista wrote:
tonyc wrote:
Don’t lump all Prius drivers together. We’ve had at least one Prius since 2011 and we are not bad drivers
It's not bad driving, it is the very slow acceleration that every Prius owner seems to have ingrained in their head. That energy use light comes on and their foot backs off the accelerator.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
sdscooterista wrote:
tonyc wrote:
Don’t lump all Prius drivers together. We’ve had at least one Prius since 2011 and we are not bad drivers
It's not bad driving, it is the very slow acceleration that every Prius owner seems to have ingrained in their head. That energy use light comes on and their foot backs off the accelerator.
Hypermiling.

Why settle for 45 mpg when you can get 47?

Just makes sense.

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hypermiling.

Why settle for 45 mpg when you can get 47?
heeeey now. Our current prius w/ the lith batteries gets 60mpg EASY. It actually gets better mileage than my scoot. Alas, that STUPID ev light makes me hate myself when I'm driving it. I hate that car, but I dislike the local tesla drivers even more.

Last edited by tonyc on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...262728...343536Next
[ Time: 0.9427s ][ Queries: 25 (0.3713s) ][ Debug on ]