[NSR] What's Pissing you off Today? II
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...323334Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:24 am quote
Ugh.... Another negative. What happened was I was attacked online here. Let's leave it at that. It was the worst flame of a user I have ever seen here and a few of the powers that be knew that happened. Let's leave it at that. So without context please do not judge. I'll not mention it again but anyone hitting me with negatives does not know the whole story.

Sigh... I'm really not a bad person and TBH this sometimes is not a nice place. Better than most but there is reason I do not participate anywhere else. I don't thing what I said was "that" bad. But sure pile on the negative karma and we can have less active participant on MV. I'm sure a few people want me gone. I don't care if you "win".
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:58 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Ugh.... Another negative. What happened was I was attacked online here. Let's leave it at that. It was the worst flame of a user I have ever seen here and a few of the powers that be knew that happened. Let's leave it at that. So without context please do not judge. I'll not mention it again but anyone hitting me with negatives does not know the whole story.

Sigh... I'm really not a bad person and TBH this sometimes is not a nice place. Better than most but there is reason I do not participate anywhere else. I don't thing what I said was "that" bad. But sure pile on the negative karma and we can have less active participant on MV. I'm sure a few people want me gone. I don't care if you "win".
Yeah let's leave it at that. Complaining about the karma system will certainly get you a negative rating. Come on, you have been here long enough to know that.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:51 am quote
Looks like someone's Rat is off to the the crusher

I have offered the 50 quid for it [fingers crossed]

https://twitter.com/Tactical_Police/status/1273227056059428864/photo/1
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:24 am quote
Re: Gah!
fledermaus wrote:
kshansen wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
So, as I may have noted already, been working on what's turning out to a major project in a basement bathroom...started out as a modular shower install, became a crater in the floor.

Anyway, floor's closed up, and tiled, sink and toilet in place, now back to the shower surround, where I should have been, say a year ago. I get to a point I'm ready to install a second mounting strip on the wall.....but can't find it.

So, look around...several times, finally contact the company , who wants me to produce a receipt (of course I didn't write down the serial number....who needs those?). Second trip to the store I find it on their kiosk. Submit it to the company, they tell me, of course it's been too long since purchase, but can send it just for shipping costs.

It arrives (now we've lost 10 days of messing around), I install in on the wall, go to install the side panel that slips into it, AND IT'S RIGHT IN PLACE IN THE SIDE PANEL. GAH! All that work and frustration and I've been walking within a foot of it for weeks. I'm going to bed and hope I hate myself less in the morning.
fledermaus, Take a nice hot shower and relax! OH! wait you don't have a shower yet!

Lotta help you are!

Now I'm off to look for my checkbook which has been MIA all week.
People still have check books?
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 am quote
Harbinger wrote:

Why does it bother you so much? Honestly I think the system is very good at keeping things civil and most of us seem to agree and comply most of the time.

When we don't, we get these gentle reminders that something we have posted is not quite up to standard. Most of us have had the odd negative, some of us have suffered the ban hammer, I do not begrudge either. They both helped me to learn the ways of MV for which I am grateful.

PS doesn't mean I'll never step across the line in the future but hopefully it will happen less and less as I get wiser.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:22 pm quote
ashbrook wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Why does it bother you so much? Honestly I think the system is very good at keeping things civil and most of us seem to agree and comply most of the time.

When we don't, we get these gentle reminders that something we have posted is not quite up to standard. Most of us have had the odd negative, some of us have suffered the ban hammer, I do not begrudge either. They both helped me to learn the ways of MV for which I am grateful.

PS doesn't mean I'll never step across the line in the future but hopefully it will happen less and less as I get wiser.
And when you think about it, 1 roundel is equal to 100 thumbs up. Does one obnoxious rating really matter? I don't think so.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:27 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
The grandma in front of me at the supermarket checkout does.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
And when you think about it, 1 roundel is equal to 100 thumbs up. Does one obnoxious rating really matter? I don't think so.
Not so. I'm not privy to the actual algorithm, but it's exponential. The first roundel is easy to get, just a few 'likes' if you will. After that it gets harder and harder and harder. It's not just doubling every time, it's a fiercer curve than that.
Addicted
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:22 pm quote
znomit wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
The grandma in front of me at the supermarket checkout does.
OOC, what do you consider the age of the grandma in front of you at the supermarket checkout?
Moderaptor
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:07 pm quote
Cheques (sorry, checks) are still popular in the US because there's no easy standard inter-bank system to transfer funds. OK, there are third-party systems, such as Zelle etc, but both sender and recipient have to be 'members'.

Mrs jimc uses checks to pay our gardeners who come once a fortnight. Her clients almost invariably pay her by check. I find it odd, I personally haven't used a cheque in either direction since about 1998, but...

...There's no US equivalent to the Faster Payments system in the UK (and the Rest of the World (tm)) that's been in place for nearly 20 years, and transfers funds in micro-seconds.

I'm now using Transferwise as my main USA bank account. May more people do it! Hugely recommended. It NOT just for transferring money abroad, it's a great way to have a minimal or no-charge bank account. Just a VERY happy customer: https://transferwise.com/us
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:11 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Not so. I'm not privy to the actual algorithm, but it's exponential. The first roundel is easy to get, just a few 'likes' if you will. After that it gets harder and harder and harder. It's not just doubling every time, it's a fiercer curve than that.
✔️
Moderaptor
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:07 am quote
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

I've been refurbishing a 2.5L Subaru engine to replace the cylinder head gaskets due to an oil leak. The heads have been cleaned and re-surfaced and all was ready to put back together.

The 12 TTY head bolts are oiled then torqued up in a sequence. 22 then 39 lb-ft, then loosened in two 180į stages, then 31 lb-ft, then tighten by 90į, then again by 45į and then the middle two on each side by yet another 45į. Just before doing up the middle two for the final 45į the very last of the other bolts, on the last 5į of tightening, went BANG.

I must have had slightly too much oil on that bolt, so it hydro-locked and split the block. No stripped bits on the threads, but no torque left in the bolt.

Ebay old bare short block - $400. New bare short block - unobtainium for that engine. Refurbished complete short blocks $1900 upwards.

AARGH!

I shall go to my local old-school engine shop to see if there's any chance of welding it up, filling the hole, re-drilling and re-tapping.

Bugger, bugger, bugger.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:05 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Bugger, bugger, bugger.
As a Forester owner, my sympathies brother!

Amalgamated Banks of South Africa (ABSA) is the biggest banking group in South Africa. They have informed their customers that check books are no longer produced. It seems Africa is years ahead of USA and other areas in electronic banking. We have even turned prepaid airtime on cellphones into a quasi-currency that is even used for international money transfers.
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:50 pm quote
It's What Makes a Subaru...
Greetings:

Jim, my 2004 Forester had almost a quarter-million miles on it, a lot of it pulling a 2000-lb. trailer, when the head gaskets let go. I just had it done by a local shop and it was still going strong when I hit a deer, crumpling up the hood (bonnet) and knocking out the grille. Not worth fixing to make presentable, I sold it to my hair stylist's husband and he's STILL running it into the swamps pulling his small fishing boat. Only thing wrong with it is that he can't be bothered to fix the A/C!

A car for which I paid $20K in 2003, because of the limited market for Manual transmissions certainly has proven its worth.
Hooked
2016 GTV 300 ABS
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:31 pm quote
I've had a hitch in my right-side neck, shoulder, and shoulder blade for the past 10 days, and I'm sick n' tired of it! It's not easy to get comfy at night to sleep, and it's hindering my daily activity, makes me feel out of sorts. Yes, it's slowly getting better with massage and stretching, but damn - it's pissing me off!
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:27 am quote
ETres wrote:
I've had a hitch in my right-side neck, shoulder, and shoulder blade for the past 10 days, and I'm sick n' tired of it! It's not easy to get comfy at night to sleep, and it's hindering my daily activity, makes me feel out of sorts. Yes, it's slowly getting better with massage and stretching, but damn - it's pissing me off!
I know that feeling. About six months ago I went through the same. A pinched nerve between 5 and 6. Took a couple months to sort. Two things helped me.

1. Put both hands on your chin with your fingers pointing toward your ears. Gently but firmly push back on your chin and hold for about 30 seconds. Repeat a couple times. This has the effect of lifting the vertebrate in your neck and relieves the pressure on the nerve. '

2. Stand with your legs shoulder width and allow your upper body to bend towards the ground with your arms dangling. Do it for a minute or two and do it a couple of times. This helped with the pain in my shoulder blade that was causing numbness in my right arm and hand.

Good luck.
Hooked
GTS 300, Malaguti 150
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 am quote
I am very disappointed my GTS 300 picked up a nail in the rear tire. Under 5000 miles. Plugged it for the weekend and it's fine But I will/have to get a new City Grip. Robot showed a City Grip 2 and I think the Vespa should get it. If my dealer can.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:07 am quote
jimc wrote:
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

I've been refurbishing a 2.5L Subaru engine to replace the cylinder head gaskets due to an oil leak. The heads have been cleaned and re-surfaced and all was ready to put back together.

The 12 TTY head bolts are oiled then torqued up in a sequence. 22 then 39 lb-ft, then loosened in two 180į stages, then 31 lb-ft, then tighten by 90į, then again by 45į and then the middle two on each side by yet another 45į. Just before doing up the middle two for the final 45į the very last of the other bolts, on the last 5į of tightening, went BANG.

I must have had slightly too much oil on that bolt, so it hydro-locked and split the block. No stripped bits on the threads, but no torque left in the bolt.

Ebay old bare short block - $400. New bare short block - unobtainium for that engine. Refurbished complete short blocks $1900 upwards.

AARGH!

I shall go to my local old-school engine shop to see if there's any chance of welding it up, filling the hole, re-drilling and re-tapping.

Bugger, bugger, bugger.
OMG! Never heard of that one, damn. Hope you can get it repaired.

Last edited by WEB-Tech on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
I am very disappointed my GTS 300 picked up a nail in the rear tire. Under 5000 miles. Plugged it for the weekend and it's fine But I will/have to get a new City Grip. Robot showed a City Grip 2 and I think the Vespa should get it. If my dealer can.
On the bright side, that's about 1,000 more miles than I've ever gotten out of a rear tire (including three different City Grips).
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 am quote
I consider myself lucky to get 5 000 kms out of a rear tyre...!
Moderaptor
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
jimc wrote:
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

[]

[]

Bugger, bugger, bugger.
A very careful examination shows the block isn't cracked after all - that's just a casting blemish on the outside. This means it's just stripped threads and a helicoil should work just fine. The kit for an M11 1.25 is only $36 so that's now on its way.
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm quote
Greetings:

Glad to hear it's not a cracked block, but do you think a Heli-Coil will hold the kind of tension a head bolt generates?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 am quote
jimc wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
jimc wrote:
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

[]

[]

Bugger, bugger, bugger.
A very careful examination shows the block isn't cracked after all - that's just a casting blemish on the outside. This means it's just stripped threads and a helicoil should work just fine. The kit for an M11 1.25 is only $36 so that's now on its way.
Do we need to move this to "What's Making Me Happy Today?" Sheesh, close call. Gotta be a huge relief.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:47 am quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Glad to hear it's not a cracked block, but do you think a Heli-Coil will hold the kind of tension a head bolt generates?
Properly installed the Heli-Coil should be as strong or stronger than the original fitting.
Moderaptor
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:50 am quote
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

It'll be a close call - but the helicoil depth is the same as the original thread depth, so it should be good. Worth a try, anyway! If it fails I'll just have to use an over-size bolt, but that will mean guesswork as to tensions in the bolt.

I'm not more than 60% optimistic here...
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

Properly installed the Heli-Coil should be as strong or stronger than the original fitting.
I have over the years used Heli-Coils in many different applications and only times I have seen on give a problem was if they were not installed properly.

One of the biggest problems is getting the hole drilled out straight and the new threads also straight and deep enough. If not deep enough the bottom coil can act like a jam nut and really ruin your day, both installing and then trying to remove the bolt.

The other option if there is enough "meat" around the hole is a "Keensert". For more on that just google that one.

Or one more option:
http://www.timesert.com/html/universalheadbolt.html#3700
Moderaptor
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am quote
The kit to do a timesert for this application is ~$500 - no thank you! No-one around here has such a kit.

Helicoil it shall be. I'm going to see if I can source some tangless ones.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:49 pm quote
jimc wrote:
The kit to do a timesert for this application is ~$500 - no thank you! No-one around here has such a kit.

Just putting ideas out there!

As for tangless Helicoils not sure I ever came across them. Not really sure what advantage there would be to them.

I always just used a punch just a shade smaller than the diameter of the bolt to snap the tangs off just need to be careful not to loose one inside an assembly.

I have actually heard of people stacking two coils in one bolt hole to get a longer engagement of threads in soft material
Moderaptor
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:15 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
jimc wrote:

Just putting ideas out there!

As for tangless Helicoils not sure I ever came across them. Not really sure what advantage there would be to them.
There are two sorts:
https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/fasteners/inserts/wire-threaded-inserts/helicoil-tangless-screw-thread-inserts
Quote:
I always just used a punch just a shade smaller than the diameter of the bolt to snap the tangs off just need to be careful not to loose one inside an assembly.

I have actually heard of people stacking two coils in one bolt hole to get a longer engagement of threads in soft material
I'd love to be able to do that - but although the bolts have ~6cm of thread on them, there's a maximum of 20cm of 11mm thread at the bottom of these otherwise 13mm wide 7cm deep holes. I may even have to weld an extension onto the helicoil tap to get deep enough.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:51 am quote
White coat hypertension
Gah! Borderline hypertensive for some years. Couple of years ago I went for a physical, had never been higher than say 150/90, usually significantly lower when they read me at 200/100! Anyway, repeated testing showed it lower, and we decided to start with lifestyle. Helped, but didn't win that game, so on some meds, doing well for the past year.

Went back yesterday, took my own in the morning, 140/78. Go into the clinic, and hit 170/104. Dammit. Adding another med. What's frustrating is things seem just (reasonably) fine until I go in there. BP with my sleep doc, fantastic. BP with another nurse practitioner, fine. So, I understand the risks are close to that of normal hypertension, but it just seems so crazy. Almost like I need to take something so that my BP is acceptable at my next visit in 6 months. Frustrating. Gotta keep staying healthy and all, but seems like it's out of my control- I can't even check myself to see where I'm at.

There. Rant over.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 am quote
It can be funny. When I test my BP at home it is always fine but whenever I go to my pain specialist itís way high. Probably because Iím always stressed about being stuck in a waiting room and not working.

Soon I have to go for a FULL day physical at the Cleveland clinic which Iím not looking forward to. It was supposed to be months ago but we got hit with this little pandemic thing. Toronto JUST went in to phase 2 so the clinic should be opening up again soon. Theyíve been great to work with and refunded my first 2 payments as I never really got to start with them. Thatís no small amount of money.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:38 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
It can be funny. When I test my BP at home it is always fine but whenever I go to my pain specialist itís way high. Probably because Iím always stressed about being stuck in a waiting room and not working.

Soon I have to go for a FULL day physical at the Cleveland clinic which Iím not looking forward to. It was supposed to be months ago but we got hit with this little pandemic thing. Toronto JUST went in to phase 2 so the clinic should be opening up again soon. Theyíve been great to work with and refunded my first 2 payments as I never really got to start with them. Thatís no small amount of money.
Sheesh. Full day, huh? just got off the phone with my sister, a few years older than me, who said she's gotten of the mindset that every visit to the doctor is going to mean something's wrong with her.

I miss the youthful days when you wondered why you even bothered going to the doctor.

I wasn't so surprised by the first time, as I was pretty new with this guy, but these days we chat like friends and the worst part is his corny jokes, so not like I'm afraid of him...and he doesn't even wear a white coat.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:59 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Sheesh. Full day, huh? just got off the phone with my sister, a few years older than me, who said she's gotten of the mindset that every visit to the doctor is going to mean something's wrong with her.

I miss the youthful days when you wondered why you even bothered going to the doctor.

I wasn't so surprised by the first time, as I was pretty new with this guy, but these days we chat like friends and the worst part is his corny jokes, so not like I'm afraid of him...and he doesn't even wear a white coat.
Since you have the capability to check it at home, continue to do so and keep track of it. Then when you visit the doctor, bring your tracking report with you to show him/her. That way you can show that the medication is working, and that it's only high due to being in the doctor office.

I've been on High Blood Pressure medication for years. The first medication didn't work, so he switched me to lisinopril. It worked ok, but I developed a dry cough. I happened to learn that dry cough is one of the side effects of lisinopril. So the doctor switched me to bisoprolol fumarate and hydrochlorothiazide (Ziacģ). It works great. But that's me. My dad takes lisinopril with no problems.

Another thing to keep in mind is that pain will cause higher blood pressure. When I broke my leg 9 years ago, the ER recorded my blood pressure at 164/102.
Hooked
GTS 300, Malaguti 150
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 am quote
Harbinger wrote:

You actually drive from Toronto to a Cleveland hospital. How come?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:06 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

It's a hospital called Cleveland, not located in Cleveland.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:01 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
RP Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Yep

Itís a world class clinic. Iíll post more info here in a bit. Oh and do I have some to add to the pissed off department. Not about the clinic but our cottage stay has turned in to to a wee nightmare. The neighbors are doing Renoís we werenít told about... Iíll leave it at that for now.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
RP Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Yep

Itís a world class clinic. Iíll post more info here in a bit. Oh and do I have some to add to the pissed off department. Not about the clinic but our cottage stay has turned in to to a wee nightmare. The neighbors are doing Renoís we werenít told about... Iíll leave it at that for now.
Your cottage is in Nevada?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:23 am quote
Re: White coat hypertension
fledermaus wrote:
Gah! Borderline hypertensive for some years. Couple of years ago I went for a physical, had never been higher than say 150/90, usually significantly lower when they read me at 200/100! Anyway, repeated testing showed it lower, and we decided to start with lifestyle. Helped, but didn't win that game, so on some meds, doing well for the past year.

Went back yesterday, took my own in the morning, 140/78. Go into the clinic, and hit 170/104. Dammit. Adding another med. What's frustrating is things seem just (reasonably) fine until I go in there. BP with my sleep doc, fantastic. BP with another nurse practitioner, fine. So, I understand the risks are close to that of normal hypertension, but it just seems so crazy. Almost like I need to take something so that my BP is acceptable at my next visit in 6 months. Frustrating. Gotta keep staying healthy and all, but seems like it's out of my control- I can't even check myself to see where I'm at.

There. Rant over.
It's called "white coat syndrome," defined thusly by Wikipedia:

"White coat hypertension (WHT), more commonly known as white coat syndrome, is a phenomenon in which people exhibit a blood pressure level above the normal range, in a clinical setting, although they do not exhibit it in other settings. It is believed that the phenomenon is due to anxiety experienced during a clinic visit."

Happens to me all the time. My doctor's nurse always rushes me from the waiting room to the scale to the exam room and barely gives me a chance to sit down before strapping on the cuff during a pre-exam screening. The reading is always 10"-20" higher than normal. If the doc takes my BP again at the end of the exam, it always returns to the normal range.
Addicted
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 am quote
RP Tech wrote:
RP, I thought you would know .... Cleveland Clinic has facilities in Florida, Nevada, AbuDhabi, Canada, and London is opening in 2021 (CCF London) ... heck, CCF even has locations in Geauga County.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:09 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
RP Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Yep

Your cottage is in Nevada?
Pfft :-p

Yeah I saw that but was on my iPhone and couldnít be bothered fixing it. Cottage is in a little village off Lake Erie in Ontario.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...323334Next
[ Time: 0.4810s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0910s) ][ Debug on ]