[NSR] What's Pissing you off Today? II
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...394041Next
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:07 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
The supervisor is working from home on another continent?
Or maybe another planet?

To be honest back in 2015 when I was retiring the HR department was no better! So can't put too much blame on Covid.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:31 am quote
First, some background (tl;dr at end):

I work for the printing department for our local school district. We're an Enterprise department, which I understand means that we can do work for people/organizations/businesses outside of the school district, and that we're expected to turn a profit. My 1-year anniversary at this job was last week.

I was at my previous job, another printing company, for 15 years, the last four of which were at one of their retail locations. In 2017, 2018, and 2019, we printed the Christmas cards & envelopes for my wife's boss, the Catholic Bishop of Dallas. In 2017 and 2018 I printed them on my Xerox color printer. In 2019 we sent them to our Houston location, because they have an offset press and could produce them faster, with better quality, at half the price. There were some issues due to shipping them from Houston to Dallas, but they (the Houston location) was good about rectifying them. It was the last print job I was responsible for at that company before changing jobs.

This year, I am once again printing them. Well, the cards are being printed at our main shop, because they have an offset press, and the bindery facilities and staff to take care of it. I'm responsible for printing the envelopes. Which brings me to what is pissing me off.

The work order is for just over 4000 envelopes. We ordered 5000 from the paper supplier. They delivered five cases to me, each case containing four boxes of 250 envelopes each, in theory. I can only load the envelopes into the machine in groups of 30 or so, so I've been counting them out into groups of 30. Every box of 250 has been short. The most that any box has held is 226. The fewest has been 203. I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

tl;dr: vendor shorted 20 boxes of envelopes by at least 10%.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:52 am quote
monogodo wrote:
I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

Monogodo, maybe they were metric boxes of 250 not American 250's!

And as a side note the HR department I have been having trouble with is located in Irving Any chance if I give you the address you could go over there and give them a "dope slap"?
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:20 am quote
kshansen wrote:
monogodo wrote:
I will end up with less than 100 extra envelopes when it is all complete, when I should have closer to 1000. I could understand them being short/over 5-10 per box on a few boxes, but to be short by at least 10% on every single box is unacceptable. I let my boss know, and he'll speak with the vendor about it.

And as a side note the HR department I have been having trouble with is located in Irving Any chance if I give you the address you could go over there and give them a "dope slap"?
They probably have hefty security to avoid just that sort of thing from happening.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:20 am quote
(tl;dr at end)

Back at the beginning of September (Labor Day Weekend, in fact), we had a gas line leak and had to have the service line from the meter to the house replaced. I'm sure I bitched about it here before.

Well, when the crew was working they damage the water line to the faucet in the backyard, which caused a leak. I only discovered the leak a month later when we received a water bill from the city that was 3x what it usually was. Our usage had gone from 2k gallons in a month, to 20k gallons. One would think there'd be a pond in the backyard, but we have a dry well that probably collected all the water.

Anyway, I went back & forth via text with the plumber, and he finally came out to fix it. He happened to come out the one day that both my wife and I weren't home. His fix was to simply cap the line. I again went back & forth with him via text (he doesn't like to use the phone for whatever reason) about it. I also mentioned that our gas heater in the living room didn't have gas going to it anymore. I understand it losing service, because I imagine that whoever initially set it up simply split off from the main service feed to it, so when that original line was cut at the meter and at the house, service to the heater was lost. I told him that I'd pay him to connect service to it if he'd repair the water line for free. He agreed.

I took the day off yesterday, and he and his helper came out to work on it. They arrived around noon, and had everything completed around 10 pm. It would have gone faster, but he had to leave 3 times to get supplies, each time taking about an hour (or more).

He was able to get the gas line put in. We had an extraneous gas connection in the kitchen that was split off of the feed to the stove. We had him reroute that to the attic, then run it over to the living room, then down to connect to the heater. This caused the heater to be relocated from one side of the room to the other, which we were fine with. They did good work on it, and everything worked out fine.

Then they went to address the water line. They dug it up, connected the lines, turned the water to the house back on, and water started pouring out of a line that had been cut near the house. The faucet in the back yard still didn't work. Since I thought the issue was with were the initial leak was, and because they'd have to dig up in the area near the house to find out what was going on there, and because it was 10pm and I was tired, I told them that they had done what I had asked them to do, and that I was ok with them simply capping the new leaking pipe and calling it a day. They were ok with that, and finished up and left.

So what is pissing me off is whichever previous owner of this house didn't do plumbing work to code, and took shortcuts without regard to future issues.

They covered the gas service line with the driveway concrete, and the garage concrete, and the addition foundation, thus ensuring the need for a complete replacement of the gas line should a leak ever occur. They didn't have cutoff valves installed where the water line entered the hot water heater, so when a leak occurred, we had to cut the water service to the house to have it worked on. They didn't have a cutoff valve installed where the gas line entered the house, so there was no way to do a proper pressure test of the gas line between the meter and the house. They ran water lines in weird patterns though the back yard. They ran electrical lines to the shed in the backyard, and used garden hose as conduit when they buried it. They put an electrical outlet in the additional living room, the stove (for the clock & oven igniter), an outlet in the kitchen, and the ceiling fan in the kitchen on one circuit. They ran three-wire electrical wire from the panel to all of the outlets, but didn't connect the ground wire to the panel or the outlet on about 1/3 to 1/2 of them, and simply cut off the ground wire at the outlet/panel. (I've marked which outlets are grounded, and we're careful with what we plug into them.)

tl;dr: owning an old house (built in 1948) that has had additions put in over the years can really suck at times.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:55 am quote
monogodo wrote:
used garden hose as conduit when they buried it.
FTW!

I've enjoyed conversations with various contractors about DIY stuff they've seen (antenna wire to a power receptacle??), partly because they make me feel smart, and relieved that it's not MY house.

Sorry about your mess. Its probably good you're not face to face with the perpetrator (s).
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 am quote
monogodo wrote:
kshansen wrote:
monogodo wrote:

They probably have hefty security to avoid just that sort of thing from happening.
You're probably right! It was just an idea.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:12 pm quote
Was going to post this in another thread then realized it belongs here.
RRider wrote:
They do have budget friendly versions too
Oh don't get me started on those. So last night after a long day my door lock breaks. Fortunately from the inside so I unscrew it and have a look after lots of swearing and 2 stiff drinks. They are also redesigning our floors in my building so new wallpaper , carpeting and paint etc. So frustrated and tired I'm trying to fix it while my door has damp paint, there is some worker across the hall painting some trim and some freakin' lady with her kid on a kick scooter wearing a helmet going up and down past my door saying "OK, my love you are doing so great" over and over again. Did I mention one neighbour is doing loud renos at the same time?

Seriously who says "my love" to their kid? Sure you can say you love your kid but "my love" over and over again?

I eventually just gave up and put a sock in the hole where the lock was and poured another drink and fixed the lock this morning.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:42 pm quote
Some of y'all avatars were hurting my eyes because of the white boxes around them, so I did some cleaning up.

5950ca131766ab.jpg

5ee30132d453eb.jpg

5e20ab3aad634b.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:32 am quote
znomit wrote:
Some of y'all avatars were hurting my eyes because of the white boxes around them, so I did some cleaning up.
Thank you. I will talk to the designer and let her know about your distress. I think she
mentioned that the white box design was prooblematic 🙈🙉🙊
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
znomit wrote:
Thank you. I will talk to the designer and let her know about your distress. I think she
😒Done.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
znomit wrote:
😒Done.
Just proves that you can indeed improve on perfection.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:47 pm quote
So do I need to modify my avatar? It is a scan of a pencil sketch.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:57 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
Nah, too much detail would be lost. Besides I believe znomit did not get enough votes in the electoral college to be nominated the MV fashion cop. It was close and there might be a recount.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
I demand a recount!

5a8f63b9b8065b.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:06 am quote
znomit wrote:
kshansen wrote:
I demand a recount!
I stand corrected and am impressed with your ability to use layers. After a recount it seems you have won by 537 votes.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:29 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
kshansen wrote:
I demand a recount!
I stand corrected and am impressed with your ability to use layers. After a recount it seems you have won by 537 votes.
Was that a typo? did you mean to use the word lawyers in stead of layers?

I may have to hold a press conference at the local Jiffy Lube!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:20 am quote
kshansen wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
kshansen wrote:
I demand a recount!
Was that a typo? did you mean to use the word lawyers in stead of layers?

I may have to hold a press conference at the local Jiffy Lube!
Maybe.. That depends on what the meaning of layers is is.

While you try and find out how many of those votes were cast by the deceased I'll go grab a book at the store just up the road.
Ossessionato
1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:54 am quote
Photoshop jokes mixed with voter fraud jokes.. what a strange world we live in!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:15 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Indeed! And all I was trying was to get my avatar to look better.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:45 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Especially funny as I didnít use lawyers or layers or photoshop.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:58 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
I sense another fraud! Stop the layering of lies! Unless of course you can provide a stack of documents in binders to back up your claim.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:10 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
I sense another fraud! Stop the layering of lies! Unless of course you can provide a stack of documents in binders to back up your claim.
Thatís a very harsh statement, especially from a Canukistanian. Or are you?
Can we see your passport. Eh?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:17 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Glad you are not pissed off anymore. And yes it was funny. Belwinith, the designer, thought so too
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:39 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Make Avatars Great Again.
Ossessionato
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Make Avatars Great Again.
Then yours isn't great again. Need that gray bg!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:39 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
swiss1939 wrote:
Make Avatars Gay Again.
Chopper would be proud.

5fa7b18123e56B.jpg

Ossessionato
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:18 pm quote
Making Avatars Gray Again.

My lawyers told me I had to use some layers for this one.

5fa7b18123e56_p.jpg

lawyers.jpg

Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:58 am quote
Good work on the avatars. I'll keep them on file to use in the fullness of time, or when I'm feeling Gay. In the meantime its back to the winner of the Sledge look alike contest.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 am quote
That's it! I'm bringing up politics.

Though who can be mad at this? There will be the First Dog(s) again in the Whitehouse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/13/first-dogs-major-champ-joe-biden-white-house
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:21 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
That's it! I'm bringing up politics.

Though who can be mad at this? There will be the First Dog(s) again in the Whitehouse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/13/first-dogs-major-champ-joe-biden-white-house
What can I say! I really would like to take a trip down after Jan to see those two! Always had a soft sport of the Shepherds. Might be `cause dad's mom was a German?

Or more likely from watching Rin-Tin-Tin as a kid:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Rin_Tin_Tin
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:28 am quote
Quote:
Or more likely from watching Rin-Tin-Tin as a kid.
My all-time favorite growing up.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:05 am quote
So while I was away riding my Vespa, numerous software developers 'updated' their products. When I restarted, nothing was the same...

Every software vendor seems to decide for you that their product is best and must be set to the default for your laptop. So I have virus protection fighting one another to be first to load. I have multiple video conferencing software autoloading although I don't use it at all and there seems no manner to remove it from the startup menu. If I try to defer them or stop them, they reload by themselves and it all starts again...

Now every time I start up, I have to wait round 7-10 minutes for all the junk I don't use to load and then shut them down one by one before I can start work.
Free market?
Free choice?
I think not.
Ossessionato
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:00 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
So while I was away riding my Vespa, numerous software developers 'updated' their products. When I restarted, nothing was the same...

Every software vendor seems to decide for you that their product is best and must be set to the default for your laptop. So I have virus protection fighting one another to be first to load. I have multiple video conferencing software autoloading although I don't use it at all and there seems no manner to remove it from the startup menu. If I try to defer them or stop them, they reload by themselves and it all starts again...

Now every time I start up, I have to wait round 7-10 minutes for all the junk I don't use to load and then shut them down one by one before I can start work.
Free market?
Free choice?
I think not.
Windows? If so.. this will help:

Windows Key + R then type taskmgr. When that opens switch to startup tab. Right click and select disable everything you don't need to run at startup. Most apps don't actually need to run at startup, but only when you choose to run it.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:31 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:

Free market?
Free choice?
I think not.
Windows? If so.. this will help:

Windows Key + R then type taskmgr. When that opens switch to startup tab. Right click and select disable everything you don't need to run at startup. Most apps don't actually need to run at startup, but only when you choose to run it.
In Windows 7 it's msconfig rather than taskmgr to access startup program enable/disable.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:41 am quote
Thanks for the tips guys.
I just cannot get Adobe Secure Browser or MS Teams off the delayed start menu. They keep wanting to go back...
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra SeŮora Reina de los Ńngeles sobre el RŪo Porciķncula
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:58 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
I just cannot get Adobe Secure Browser or MS Teams off the delayed start menu. They keep wanting to go back...
MS Teams.

AAAAAAARGH!

If Teams were a sports team, the coach would have been fired a long time ago.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
MS Teams.

AAAAAAARGH!

MS Teams is the worst of the lot followed by Skype for Business. We have users well in to the hundreds working from home and those are the only 2 we've really had issues with.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:57 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
mpfrank wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
MS Teams.

AAAAAAARGH!

MS Teams is the worst of the lot followed by Skype for Business. We have users well in to the hundreds working from home and those are the only 2 we've really had issues with.
We have both Skype for Business and MS Teams on our work computers. I've used Teams exactly twice, and it worked well both times.

I use Skype for Business every day, as it is our phone solution. The only thing that pisses me off about it is not the software itself, it's the fact that people don't use it properly. They should be logged into it whenever they are at their desk. They've discovered that the phones will still work without the software, so they don't bother logging in and learning it, which limits communication. The IM feature is great for a quick question that isn't worth a call or email, but if your status shows you "Away for 10 days", I don't know that you're actually at your desk to receive it. At the same time, that long time away message means I don't know if you're actually in the office to answer my call when needed.

I know there are issues with the iPhone app for it. Some coworkers are working from home, and connect to their work phone via the app. The problem is that they will answer the call, and the app will immediately disconnect the call. But if they call out, it works fine.

So what pisses me off isn't the software, it's that the school district pays a lot of money for us to have some really great tools, and my coworkers don't bother to use them properly, or even at all.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:55 pm quote
4 weeks till Christmas.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...394041Next
[ Time: 0.2403s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0781s) ][ Debug on ]